PDA

View Full Version : Dallas area Q and restaraunts?

kyle corn
01-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Next month I'm flying into DFW and will be in Dallas and the surrounding area for 5 days. First off, I'm a native Texan, and I haven't been home since 2007, so I'm going to spend some quality time with my family. But more importantly, I'm going out to talk to a company about a perspective job.

I'll be staying with my grandpa in Muenster and the job stuff is in Lewisville, so my trip won't be limited to just Dallas, in fact I'll probably spend little time in Dallas proper. That being said, I'll have plenty of free time and willing to make travel a bit for good BBQ or even just good old fashioned country cooking. So what's worth checking out and what is worth passing on for now?

uttexas
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
From a previous post I made in this forum
I'll list some BBQ places in no particular order that I feel are worth visiting.

Meshacks (Garland)
Lockhart Smokehouse (S. Dallas)
Pecan Lodge(downtown Dallas)
Big Ray's BBQ (Allen)
Uncle Willie's (Ft. Worth)
Clark's Outpost (Tioga)
Randy's BBQ (Red Oak)
Off the Bone (Forest Hill)

uttexas
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
As far as restaurants (for good southern/Texas food)

Babe's Chicken Dinner House
202 North 4th Street, Sanger, TX
(940) 458-0000 ‎ babeschicken.com

Moms on Main
204 South Main Street Aubrey, TX 76227-5520
(940) 202-4940 momsonmain.com

Lots of good steak houses all over the area.

caseydog
01-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I've lived in the area since 1979 (went to UNT, and got stuck here), and the BBQ scene here pales in comparison the the Hill Country, as you probably already know.

I always recommend that visitors to Dallas focus, instead, on Tex-Mex. Dallas has some really good Tex-Mex.

I live about 20 minutes from Lewisville. Send me a PM, and if our schedules sync, maybe we can grab a bite. Los Lupes in Carrolton is close to me and Lewisville. I love the cheese and onion enchiladas there, with some rice and charro beans. Preferably followed by an afternoon nap. :becky:

Babe's get's a lot of good ink, but I have yet to go there, even though there is one a few miles from my house.

As for Sanger, there is this place called the Old West Cafe that serves the most awesome breakfast on the farking planet. Seriously, if you like a bodacious country breakfast, the Old West Cafe is truly unbeatable.

CD

caseydog
01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Lots of good steak houses all over the area.

Well, lots of steak houses, a few are good, many are mediocre, at best.

Very few steak houses around here cook a better ribeye than what I can cook at home -- for half the price. The ones that do, are good but pricey.

CD

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
01-16-2012, 07:58 PM
I would try and find the best chicken fried steak in the area. It has been way too long since I lived there to be able to help with that quest, though.

frognot
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Ten miles east of Muenster on Highway 82 is 2 BBQ joints, right next to each other. Dieter Brothers & the Smokehouse.

http://dieterbrosbbq.com/index.htm

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2008/11/smokehouse-barbecue.html

caseydog
01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
I would try and find the best chicken fried steak in the area. It has been way too long since I lived there to be able to help with that quest, though.

Wow, I live here, but haven't gone out for CFS in a long time. That's a tough one (pardon the pun). I love a good CFS.

Good Eats Cafe used to have killer CFS, but I haven't had it in years.

According to D-Magazine, the best CFS is at Ozona Grill & Bar in Dallas. I've never been there, but wouldn't mind meeting up with a brethren to check it out.

CD

kyle corn
01-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I figured Dallas wasn't a big BBQ area, but I assumed there'd be one or two standouts. I think I'll focus on Tex-Mex and country cooking; I LOVE chicken fried steak, although nobody can touch grandma's :thumb:

Casey, I appreciate the invite. I don't know what my schedule will be yet, I'll probably have to take it day by day when I'm out there, but I'll let you know if I figure anything out. And if all goes well, I'll be living out there come May/June.