PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about the 1/13/12 new business agenda item about a BOD candidate not being a current member?

Leatherheadiowa
01-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I saw this listed under new business in the January 13,2012 agenda and wondered if anyone had any information
"Don Harwell:* It has come to my attention that one of the candidates currently running for a position on the KCBS board of directors was not an active member from November 30 to December 28, 2011.*"

I would have thought KCBS would have checked on that. I hope that doesn't mess up the vote totals...

Jorge
01-12-2012, 01:00 PM
They were a candidate in good standing at the time nominations were made, and were at the time voting began. In a perfect world, there wouldn't have been a lapse in membership. I don't see anything there to put the election in jeopardy.

Jorge
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Who is it?:shock::laugh::laugh:

Leatherheadiowa
01-12-2012, 01:23 PM
I assumed it was a lapse that was just a matter of poor timing. Good to know!

Jeff_in_KC
01-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Looks like Harwell just has some wood to go out with a bang...

Rookie'48
01-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Mine isnt due until July, so I'm good :grin:.

timzcardz
01-13-2012, 07:33 AM
From the Bylaws:

Section 4.03 Requirements:
A Director must be a Member of the Corporation in good standing and have been a Member of the Corporation for a period no less than twelve (12) months.

Is the potential director a member in currently good standing ? CHECK.

Has the potential director been a member for a period no less than 12 months? CHECK. (assuming that he/she had a one year membership that expired 11/30/2011)

The bylaws don't actually stipulate that the 12 month member in good standing status be contiguous with the directorship. If that was the intent then the Bylaws should be revisted towards a change/clarification in the future, but as it stands now I don't see that there is an issue.

I don't know what the case is here, but when I was on the board of a not for profit, I found that there are always some that want to do what they personally think is best or right, either without regard for what is actually required, or consistent with their own spin on what someone may have meant when they wrote the bylaws, rather than what they actually say. At the end of the day, what is written is what's law.

JayAre
01-13-2012, 07:45 AM
non issue

deepsouth
01-13-2012, 08:05 AM
i love reading about the politics of bbq. it's worse than the poltics of beer. of course, beer competitions are for beer schwag rather than money. i think the best thing you can do without opening your own brewery is win sam adams longshot contest and have your beer brewed and distributed by them (albiet only once).

G$
01-13-2012, 08:16 AM
FTR, without knowing the details or any agendas people might have, there is nothing wrong with examining the question now and getting it answered. This way, when the candidate is elected, there won't be a birth certificate hunt.

Also, just blame Gene since he is the chair of the Membership Committeee, he obviously had his hand in this. :-D :boxing::hand: :mod: :-P :wink: :laugh: etc etc

Jorge
01-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Has the potential director been a member for a period no less than 12 months? CHECK. (assuming that he/she had a one year membership that expired 11/30/2011)

The bylaws don't actually stipulate that the 12 month member in good standing status be contiguous with the directorship. If that was the intent then the Bylaws should be revisted towards a change/clarification in the future, but as it stands now I don't see that there is an issue.

You are good. It's my understanding that the contention is based on which 12 months you choose to look at:roll: I still don't know which candidate it is, nor do I wish to. My membership expires in Feb. so I'm good!:laugh:

I hope the issue dies today. In the event I'm elected, and someone chooses to litigate to prevent any candidate elected by membership from serving based on this issue I'm strongly inclined to meet them at the courthouse steps unless competent legal counsel offers a compelling reason not to. I think Don Harwell has done a lot for KCBS. In this case I think it's embarrassing to himself, and KCBS. This is 2nd grade, pissed off, temper tantrum BS that benefits nobody.

If the rule is 12 consecutive months in good standing leading up to being seated, then as a service and common courtesy the same amount of diligence could have resulted in the member getting a heads up that their membership was about to expire and avoided ALL of this. In all honesty, I'm not certain that I pass muster based on his interpretation. I honestly don't remember if there was a lapse and I renewed this past February, or if I'd paid for two years.

Please, somebody go Columbo and find out if I'm a qualified candidate. If I'm not, my wife will thank you!:-P:becky:

Slamdunkpro
01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
There were a few rumblings about election shenanigans in the past and now this:rolleyes:.

Who tabulates the votes for the BOD and who has access to them? Who has access to the raw vote totals, I mean if we're going down this road what's to stop someone in a position of authority from just declaring who they want the winners? What's the audit trail?

(post only half in jest)

BasicPatrick
01-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Drama...

This is pretty childish. As an about to be second year comp cook that has invested well over 8K on setting up a team to see this **** at the head of the organization is very concerning. Grow the F*%$ up is what I say.

nukenight
01-13-2012, 10:36 AM
This is a good example of a case when people have too much time on their hands. This "membership-gate" is a non-issue, since the candidate in question re-joined before the voting started.

Ford
01-14-2012, 04:41 AM
There were a few rumblings about election shenanigans in the past and now this:rolleyes:.

Who tabulates the votes for the BOD and who has access to them? Who has access to the raw vote totals, I mean if we're going down this road what's to stop someone in a position of authority from just declaring who they want the winners? What's the audit trail?

(post only half in jest)

Outsourced to company that does online elections. The bod finds out results today like us.

drbbq
01-14-2012, 06:30 AM
So you guys think Don should just ignore this? I don't. They may very well decide that it's not a problem but it's definitely worth discussing. I don't know who it is either but if they just ignore it they're wrong.

JimmyDAL
01-14-2012, 07:48 AM
"The honey BBQ Badger. I don't give a ****" Better change your quote there Doc.

Muzzlebrake
01-14-2012, 08:43 AM
I think anyone that elected to the BoD should be a Life Member. I think that should be a perk for anyone that is willing to represent us, they are given a lifetime membership
Hell they don't get paid and there aren't a lot of people lining up to thank them when they do something good. I think awarding them a lifetime membership is the least we can do to honor them for stepping up to a thankless position.