PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Go Naked 2012!!!

tmcmaster
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
http://www.gonakedbbq.com/

Debate, discuss, enjoy! :clap2:

tmcmaster
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Oh, as part of the weekends events:

http://gonakedbbq.com/assets/images/Kirk_2012.JPG

bover
01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Love the premise and would sign up in a heartbeat if there was a similar comp around here.

KingRanch450
01-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Love the idea....sounds like fun and the name definitely peeks your interest!:shocked:

J_Don
01-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Getting back to Old School BBQ. Hopefully this will catch on and maybe there will be some similar events down here in the South. Wish I had the time and money to travel, I'd sign up. :becky:

5am
01-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Just out of curiousty why wouldnt people with stick burners want to compete against pellet cookers? I'm sure this is beating a dead horse, but I'm new :redface:

Slamdunkpro
01-11-2012, 04:36 PM
April 7th? As in Easter weekend?

tmcmaster
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Easter Weekend... Logisitically, it was the best weekend... That also worked for Mr. Kirk.

JD McGee
01-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Business as usual for us...except for the thermapen...does that count as an electronic? :cool: Have fun folks! :becky:

tmcmaster
01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Business as usual for us...except for the thermapen...does that count as an electronic? :cool: Have fun folks! :becky:

Nope. Thermapens are legal... Food saftye and all...:thumb:

BBQ Bandit
01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
May I have some details regarding the Paul Kirk's class?

Nevermind... found it under the original post... with the link on Kirk's logo.

zombie barbecue2
01-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Check is in the mail in the morning. Can't wait to get back to the Mason-Dixon for the 2nd year. Looking forward to starting the season off right and seeing some good friends.
Go Naked or Go HOME!!!!!!

Tack
01-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Well I'll be there for sure. Be flying the new banner.

Chipper
01-12-2012, 05:48 AM
We really regret not being able to be competing this year. It was a ton of fun last year. Anyone who didn't get in should.

Bunny
01-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Just out of curiousty why wouldnt people with stick burners want to compete against pellet cookers? I'm sure this is beating a dead horse, but I'm new :redface:

It's not what you cook on, it's the cook itself. :boxing:

NRA4Life
01-12-2012, 08:52 AM
wish it was closer...

tmcmaster
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM
It's not that we don't want to... This contest is just a way for us to do our own thing...

5am
01-12-2012, 09:28 AM
It's not that we don't want to... This contest is just a way for us to do our own thing...
Sounds fun!

tmcmaster
01-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Sounds fun!
We are looking forward to it!!! Last year was a GREAT time!
:clap2:

Flavor Gangster
01-14-2012, 11:49 AM
We may make the drive. Looking at schedule next week. This sounds so awesome.
Chicago to middle southern PA. 1 day no problem!

Flavor Gangster
01-14-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.gonakedbbq.com/

Debate, discuss, enjoy! :clap2:

Where do you find the rules to the Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc. Did not see them on website.

Interested.

Kit R
01-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Deguello BBQ is in. It was a great time last year and no way would I miss it. But really what is up with PA hating on my chicken? My fragile ego barely recovered from the drubbing in Chambersburg for the following weekend. And don't get me started on apples......:-P

My favorite picture from last year is of Alex and Al with the big pig with lots of sad and stunned faces in the background. I will never forget seeing those guys roll up around 7:30 am, set up their UDS and proceed to destroy the competition. Hope Alex will break me off some of that (redacted for trade secret/intellectual property rights purposes) to put in my sauce!

tmcmaster
01-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Deguello BBQ is in. It was a great time last year and no way would I miss it. But really what is up with PA hating on my chicken? My fragile ego barely recovered from the drubbing in Chambersburg for the following weekend. And don't get me started on apples......:-P

My favorite picture from last year is of Alex and Al with the big pig with lots of sad and stunned faces in the background. I will never forget seeing those guys roll up around 7:30 am, set up their UDS and proceed to destroy the competition. Hope Alex will break me off some of that (redacted for trade secret/intellectual property rights purposes) to put in my sauce!
7:30??? It was closer to 7:58! Alex had to drop Al off at the cooks meeting before he even got to his site... LOL!!!

We are looking forward to seeing them defend their title this year!:thumb:

tmcmaster
01-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Where do you find the rules to the Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc. Did not see them on website.

Interested.

No garnish... Maybe a MABA BoD member can correct me if I am wrong in that...

Kit R
01-17-2012, 12:31 PM
7:30??? It was closer to 7:58! Alex had to drop Al off at the cooks meeting before he even got to his site... LOL!!!

We are looking forward to seeing them defend their title this year!:thumb:

Now that I think about it, you're right. I was late getting to the shop from Rhodes Grove because I doubled back to get my knives from the trailer (they were in the truck all along). So I didn't get there until after 7:00 AM and they didn't start setting up until almost an hour after I got there. Al pulled a brand new canopy out of a box and said something like "I hope I can get this thing put together...." Nice!

tmcmaster
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Just bumping this to keep it on peoples mind...

trohrs123
01-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Wish it wasn't Easter Eve!

Just Smokin' Around
01-19-2012, 11:30 PM
I enjoyed it last year. Need to discuss it with my teammate to see if we're doing it again. I know Eric likes "unique" and "different" trophies, BUT, I really hope he does something different this year. The framed underwear would not hang on my wall - sorry.

Kit R
01-20-2012, 10:14 AM
I enjoyed it last year. Need to discuss it with my teammate to see if we're doing it again. I know Eric likes "unique" and "different" trophies, BUT, I really hope he does something different this year. The framed underwear would not hang on my wall - sorry.

I got some tightie whities on my bookshelf.......

walrus79
01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Our team (Brown Liquor BBQ) will likely compete. I did just realize that it's on the tail end of a vacation for me, so I'll either have to send my teammates to compete without me or convince the wife and kids to come home early from FL. Option 2 removes me from husband and father of the year consideration...hmmm, decisions!

tmcmaster
01-23-2012, 09:12 PM
FYI - Go Naked BBQ does NOT support Propane!

Disconnect
01-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Sounds fun, and we've been looking for a competition to warm up before Salisbury. I'll second the rules question - are they posted online? (We're a really green team, and we've got KCBS backwards and forwards but haven't looked at any of the other groups..)

I just need to find a more accurate analog thermometer for my UDS - I gave up on messing with it and just started using the rocks stoker (with no blower)

kihrer
01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Is there on-site camping if you arrive on Friday night? If not, I assume there are local motels near by?

I plan on attending and will fill out the registration today. Question on the People's choice. Are the wings served in-tact or do you need to separate them at the joints?

ClayHill
01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Is there on-site camping if you arrive on Friday night? If not, I assume there are local motels near by?

I plan on attending and will fill out the registration today. Question on the People's choice. Are the wings served in-tact or do you need to separate them at the joints?

I'll jump here cause no one else is....

I would say that there is no on-site camping per say, I guess it depends on what your in,big RV..... you'll have to go to a nearby campground(small fee). Now if you want to sleep in you truck or a tent, I'm sure Eric wouldnt care (If you can find room within your site), and if he gives you grief, just tell him to shut up :heh:

Wings are already dejointed and tipped, they are fresh in a 10lb bag.

ClayHill
01-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Sounds fun, and we've been looking for a competition to warm up before Salisbury. I'll second the rules question - are they posted online? (We're a really green team, and we've got KCBS backwards and forwards but haven't looked at any of the other groups..)

I just need to find a more accurate analog thermometer for my UDS - I gave up on messing with it and just started using the rocks stoker (with no blower)

the rules are posted in the go naked website but the PDF link appears to be broken

Disconnect
01-29-2012, 09:25 PM
the rules are posted in the go naked website but the PDF link appears to be broken

Found the full contest rules at the bottom of the FAQ but still haven't found the MABA rules. I'll take a longer look tomorrow, maybe I'm just missing it..

tmcmaster
01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Nope, all pdfs are active...

http://gonakedbbq.com/html/forms.html

ClayHill
01-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Nope, all pdfs are active...

http://gonakedbbq.com/html/forms.html

yeah its on my end.

How about you help out disconnect with the MABA rules deal since your in the know...

Brauma
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
We actually kicked with one around.. until we saw the date. Can't do that weekend. I'd love a naked wknd.

Disconnect
02-01-2012, 10:34 AM
yeah its on my end.

How about you help out disconnect with the MABA rules deal since your in the know...

..please?

Red Valley BBQ
02-01-2012, 07:35 PM
We actually kicked with one around.. until we saw the date. Can't do that weekend. I'd love a naked wknd.

It's just that no one else would love you loving a naked weekend!!! :shocked:

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Hey there Brethren!

Thanks for all the enthusiasm so far for the 2012 Go Naked BBQ Show! We're still a couple of months out, but I decided to post the list of the teams that are currently signed up for the competition.

There are going to be some familiar faces from last year and some new folks as well! We're still taking apps so if you're thinking of getting in, don't wait too long! Depending on the number of apps we get, I might take it from 24 to 30 teams this year, we'll see.....

4:20 Q
POTBELLY BBQ
PORTER MAC'S ROCKIN'BBQ
CRAZY DOG BBQ
ZOMBIE BARBECUE
PEPPER MONKEY BBQ
DEGUELLO BBQ
ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN BBQ
APPLEWAY BBQ
PHILLY BLIND PIG BBQ
BONE TO BARK BBQ
CPL DEE BBQ
BIG MOOKS BBQ
GOONEY CREEK BBQ
LYIN PIGS
DIRTY POP'S BBQ
DRILLING AND GRILLING
270 SMOKERS
VIRGINIQ 'Q LADY
To answer a few questions - by the way, thanks Jon and Tim and Kit for jumping in and handling questions, you guys are pros!:thumb: - yes, you can come in on Friday night and spend the night. I do have some room for RV's, but not in your cook site - and no water or electric will be available. But if you are self contained, you are welcome to bring your land yacht.

If you have a trailer, you will have plenty of room for that in your spot, so no worries.

We'll be here all day on Friday the 6th with the Paul Kirk class going on, so come in whenever you want. We'll do meat checks when you are set up - Friday or Sat - and you'll get your 10lbs of split and tipped wings at that time! Also, as with last year, if there are any issues starting fires without propane, boy scouts will be available to assist:tsk:.

Although this warm weather has kept me really busy at the store - WooHoo! - from now on, I'll try and check the forum everyday and answer any questions that pop up!

Oh yeah, I still need bunches o' judges, so if you don't want to compete, but want to have some fun at the Open House, visit with your Go Naked buds (that doesn't sound right), and eat some good (hopefully) BBQ, come out and Judge!

Thanks again....

PeppermonkeyBBQ
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Any time Eric hosts and event, you know it'll be well organized and it'll be a guaranteed good time! Looking forward to a weekend of naked BBQ and hoping for some relaxing camping at Rhodes Grove.

Eric - I recall last year there were arrangements made to stay at Rhodes Grove. Not sure if it was at a discount or anything, but we'd like to camp Thursday through Sunday if that's an option. Anyone else thinking the same?

Joel M

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the kudos!

I'll confirm with Rhodes Grove and let you know for sure. They told me back in Dec when I was starting to get organized that it would be OK to camp there and they did it last year, so I don't see any issues, but let me get with them and I'll post the details.........

Disconnect
02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
I really really want to go, but without being able to see the rules... :/

82's BBQ
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
I love the idea of a naked competition. I, along with some of the others, wish it was closer.

Kit R
02-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Eric, I'm assuming my Work and Play trailer doesn't fall under the "land yacht" category so I can park on my cooking spot, right? Need about 20' x 30'.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I really really want to go, but without being able to see the rules... :/

"Rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules!"

I'll get the official rules from Mike at MABA, but in a nutshell, this is just like an officially sanctioned KCBS event - i.e. meat inspections, site inspection (cleaning station, fire extinguisher), etc. We have a cook's meeting, hand out 9x9 containers marked with numbers. The judging is done by CBJ's, not folks off the street and is done in a double blind format (numbers are changed when box turned in). Judging parameters are consistent with KCBS and it is all computerized and overseen by MABA trained Reps.

The only significant difference is that No Garnish is used in the boxes. I think garnish is actually a DQ, but I'll confirm that with MABA.

The rest of the rules for the comp (relating to the use of electric, propane, etc) is attached in the link below.

Thanks.....

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Eric, I'm assuming my Work and Play trailer doesn't fall under the "land yacht" category so I can park on my cooking spot, right? Need about 20' x 30'.

I'm sure that something can be arranged...:-D Bribes go a long way in these situations....I'm just sayin'...

Disconnect
02-04-2012, 03:08 PM
"Rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules!"

I'll get the official rules from Mike at MABA, but in a nutshell, this is just like an officially sanctioned KCBS event - i.e. meat inspections, site inspection (cleaning station, fire extinguisher), etc. We have a cook's meeting, hand out 9x9 containers marked with numbers. The judging is done by CBJ's, not folks off the street and is done in a double blind format (numbers are changed when box turned in). Judging parameters are consistent with KCBS and it is all computerized and overseen by MABA trained Reps.

Thanks.....

Awesome, thanks!! Everyone is here cooking for tomorrow, so I'll get with them but I think we're gonna sign up :) It'll be a nice way to get the season started.

Kit R
02-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm sure that something can be arranged...:-D Bribes go a long way in these situations....I'm just sayin'...

How about some cream cheese-stuffed smoked apples? :icon_sick

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-05-2012, 11:04 AM
You full yet? Getting that competition itch since I've had a week off now....

Big Ugly's BBQ
02-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Yea, I'm "Jonesin" for some comp. Still have some room?

ClayHill
02-05-2012, 05:04 PM
yeah its FULL!!!!............:heh:

I'm just messin, I think Eric has 10 or so spots left(as of Sat. morning)

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
How about some cream cheese-stuffed smoked apples? :icon_sick

You make-a me laugh.....bring those cream cheese apples and we'll hand them out Friday night and see if anyone else likes them!

I'm glad you can joke about it....I felt bad.....:tape:

Are you sure you didn't use goat cheese? That might have been the issue...

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
You full yet? Getting that competition itch since I've had a week off now....

We have room....come on in! No Gurus!

PS - Dan, are you sure that's a "competition itch"? Does it burn too? You might want to get that checked!:-D

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-06-2012, 12:04 PM
PS - Dan, are you sure that's a "competition itch"? Does it burn too? You might want to get that checked!:-D

Hmmm, take a look:
:moon:

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Hmmm, take a look:

Yeah, I'd defiineitely get that checked!!:thumb:

Kit R
02-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I'd defiineitely get that checked!!:thumb:

Wow that looks kind of painful.

Kit R
02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
You make-a me laugh.....bring those cream cheese apples and we'll hand them out Friday night and see if anyone else likes them!

I'm glad you can joke about it....I felt bad.....:tape:

Are you sure you didn't use goat cheese? That might have been the issue...

No, it was cream cheese. Trust me on that!

PeppermonkeyBBQ
02-07-2012, 07:16 PM
So if Kit can fit with his mini yacht ... would you have room for our trailer if we needed the same amount of space? We'd even be willing to make the walk to turn in from the back of the of the lot if we could just pull in and stay hooked up to our truck. We are arriving Thursday night though .... Ponder it Eric, we'll gladly throw in on the bribes!

JM

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-07-2012, 08:00 PM
So if Kit can fit with his mini yacht ... would you have room for our trailer if we needed the same amount of space? We'd even be willing to make the walk to turn in from the back of the of the lot if we could just pull in and stay hooked up to our truck. We are arriving Thursday night though .... Ponder it Eric, we'll gladly throw in on the bribes!

JM

is someone gonna be there Thursday night? better make sure I get in and secure a spot.I need basically a 20x20, is it possible?

does anyone know if charcoal and other bbq related supplies will be available? cutting boards, sauce,rub,etc???

Red Valley BBQ
02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Hmmm, take a look:

Uh oh, looks like somebody has a case of the red arse!!!!

5-0 BBQ
02-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Eric:

I have a few friends that want to get out for the day and have some fun. Do you have room left?

Steve

BBQ Bandit
02-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Will be down pulling my gear Thursday night for the Paul Kirk's class... look me up.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Eric:

I have a few friends that want to get out for the day and have some fun. Do you have room left?

Steve

He said earlier in the thread he has spots. You heading out to play too? :thumb:

5-0 BBQ
02-08-2012, 05:25 PM
He said earlier in the thread he has spots. You heading out to play too? :thumb:I must have missed that. I will send out my application. I have a few friends that want to get out and have some fun.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
I must have missed that. I will send out my application. I have a few friends that want to get out and have some fun.

Hi Steve.

We do have some spots still available. Would love to have you in and look forward to meeting you!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-09-2012, 09:57 AM
is someone gonna be there Thursday night? better make sure I get in and secure a spot.I need basically a 20x20, is it possible?

does anyone know if charcoal and other bbq related supplies will be available? cutting boards, sauce,rub,etc???

Killin' me Sal! Killin me!

I have a spot already laid out for you in the middle of Rt 16! Hope you don't get hit............too hard (I like Amy and Allyssa and they might...I repeat...."might" be sad!)

To answer your query, we will be fully stocked and able to accomodate any (normal) BBQ related need - Charcoal (RO lump & Chef Select briqs), FS gloves, Spitjack and NoCents injectors, disposable cutting boards, sauces, rubs, Backwoods-Meadow Creek-FEC-BGE-GMG smokers, red SOLO cups, etc., etc.

Peace out Girlscout! (Sophie told me to tell you that!)

PS - are you bringing Easy Mac and Dishwater?

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-09-2012, 10:02 AM

JM

Hey Joel.

Not sure if Kit's 18 footer compares to your 30 footer???

You can park it out here and camp out, but I don't have electric or water available and you are probably going to have to unhook......Thursday night helps!

Remember, cream cheese apples do not constitute a proper bribe!:wink:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Killin' me Sal! Killin me!

I have a spot already laid out for you in the middle of Rt 16! Hope you don't get hit............too hard (I like Amy and Allyson and they might...I repeat...."might" be sad!)

To answer your query, we will be fully stocked and able to accomodate any (normal) BBQ related need - Charcoal (RO lump & Chef Select briqs), FS gloves, Spitjack and NoCents injectors, disposable cutting boards, sauces, rubs, Backwoods-Meadow Creek-FEC-BGE-GMG smokers, red SOLO cups, etc., etc.

Peace out Girlscout! (Sophie told me to tell you that!)

PS - are you bringing Easy Mac and Dishwater?

who is Allyson???

5-0 BBQ
02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi Steve.

We do have some spots still available. Would love to have you in and look forward to meeting you! Eric same here. I will fill it out and send the check! :-D

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-09-2012, 12:17 PM
who is Allyson???

Shame on you! Even if I didn't spell her name correctly!

(Allysa - spelled right that time? Remember, my fingers don't work and I don't proofread! OK, ok, the truth is I can't actually read.....insert heartwrenching sob here.....you happy now??.....insert sob again! Now everyone knows!):cry:

Disconnect
02-09-2012, 06:59 PM
We'll get our check in the mail this weekend. Park us near 3 Eyz so we can prove we were serious about coming back to compete this year :) I don't think they believed us last year.

Big Ugly's BBQ
02-10-2012, 07:07 AM
We'll get our check in the mail this weekend. Park us near 3 Eyz so we can prove we were serious about coming back to compete this year :) I don't think they believed us last year.

??????? Am I missing something here?

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
02-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Eric,

Just wondering if we're at 24 teams yet, or are you going for 30? Also, can we get an updated team list........ :clap2:

Thanx

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Eric,

Just wondering if we're at 24 teams yet, or are you going for 30? Also, can we get an updated team list........ :clap2:

Thanx

I'm out of the office for the next couple of days and I'll update on Thursday or Friday. As of Friday, I was at 21 teams, but I know I'm expecting at least 3-4 more apps that I haven't received yet, so I have to see what's come in before posting.....

Haven't decided about the 30 teams yet. Let me get to 24!

Disconnect
02-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Ours is on the way :)

Kit R
02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm out of the office for the next couple of days and I'll update on Thursday or Friday. As of Friday, I was at 21 teams, but I know I'm expecting at least 3-4 more apps that I haven't received yet, so I have to see what's come in before posting.....

Haven't decided about the 30 teams yet. Let me get to 24!

Just remember you've got my mini-yacht to dock, and I faithfully paid the mooring, er, contest fee the day after the app went live. :mod:

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Hey there Brethren!

We're officially at 24 teams for Go Naked - WooHoo!

And I've decided to go to 30 - we have the room and the more the merrier. Besides, we overshot the mark (got 6 apps in that were postmarked on the same day last week) so I have 27 apps in hand and am waiting for a couple more from folks who have said they are coming.....you know who you are! So if you said you were going to send in your app and haven't yet - SEND IT IN!

I'll post the 24 on Wednesday when I get back in the office.

On another note, I've been approached by the Wounded Warriors about working with them and hosting some Warriors as a part of the competition. Not sure how to work this, but I really want to do something with/for them so I am willing and happy to take suggestions. I know there have been some KCBS comps that have hosted warriors, but I'm not sure how that worked...if anyone out there was a part of that, I'd love to get your feedback.

Also, to the registered teams in Go Naked, would you be willing to host a Wounded Warrior in your cooksite? I had concerns about wheelchairs as Go Naked is more on gravel than on a hard surface, but was told that the guys who would be coming (10-12) would not be in wheelchairs. Again, not sure how they would assist - be tasters, timers, ? - but I would love to have them be a part of our event.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

BBQ Bandit
02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Eric,

I'll throw in to help in any way possible for the Wounded Warriors.
My trailer will be there for the Paul Kirk's class... and available for the cause :thumb:.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-23-2012, 07:46 AM
is the team list out yet? Last year it was a tuff field of teams.

Kit R
02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
is the team list out yet? Last year it was a tuff field of teams.

And this year we've got to worry about the Gnomes.........:scared:

Kit R
02-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Hey there Brethren!

We're officially at 24 teams for Go Naked - WooHoo!

And I've decided to go to 30 - we have the room and the more the merrier. Besides, we overshot the mark (got 6 apps in that were postmarked on the same day last week) so I have 27 apps in hand and am waiting for a couple more from folks who have said they are coming.....you know who you are! So if you said you were going to send in your app and haven't yet - SEND IT IN!

I'll post the 24 on Wednesday when I get back in the office.

On another note, I've been approached by the Wounded Warriors about working with them and hosting some Warriors as a part of the competition. Not sure how to work this, but I really want to do something with/for them so I am willing and happy to take suggestions. I know there have been some KCBS comps that have hosted warriors, but I'm not sure how that worked...if anyone out there was a part of that, I'd love to get your feedback.

Also, to the registered teams in Go Naked, would you be willing to host a Wounded Warrior in your cooksite? I had concerns about wheelchairs as Go Naked is more on gravel than on a hard surface, but was told that the guys who would be coming (10-12) would not be in wheelchairs. Again, not sure how they would assist - be tasters, timers, ? - but I would love to have them be a part of our event.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

That is a great idea. I'll be solo, so it wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion on the taste of my product, especially since no one up in those parts has any love for my chicken! Give me a shout offline as this develops and will see what I can do.

Tack
02-23-2012, 07:41 PM
I too will help with the Wounded Warriors it would be an honor

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
And this year we've got to worry about the Gnomes.........:scared:

no need to worry about me. you do just fine.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi Brethren.

Well.....WE'RE FULL AND THEN SOME! After receiving 6 apps with the same postmark date putting us over the 24 mark, I decided to go ahead and see if we could get to 30 teams - and we did. I even have (2) teams on the waiting list...... It seems like a lot of folks enjoy going Naked! Although if any of you do, there will be pictures...and internet posts...and other embarrasing, unsavory things that will occur.

OK, so here's the official list.....

4:20 Q..................................JAY REEDER..................CLEAR SPRING, MD
POTBELLY BBQ.......................DAVE NASH...................TANEYTOWN, MD
PORTER MAC'S ROCKIN'BBQ.......TIM MCMASTER.............YORK, PA
CRAZY DOG BBQ.....................TONY GRAY...................LANDISBURG, PA
ZOMBIE BARBECUE..................CHRISTOPHER MUMAW.....BETHLEHEM, PA
PEPPER MONKEY BBQ...............JOEL MATTESON............SHADY SIDE, MD
DEGUELLO BBQ........................KIT RUDD.....................SPRINGFIELD, VA
ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN BBQ.......SCOTT FELIX................ALUM BANK, PA
APPLEWAY BBQ.......................JEFF STOOPS...............SAINT THOMAS, PA
PHILLY BLIND PIG BBQ..............THOMAS BERA..............PHILADELPHIA, PA
BONE TO BARK BBQ.................TODD SPICKLER.............HAGERSTOWN, MD
CPL DEE BBQ..........................KENNETH W DEE............EXTON, PA
BIG MOOKS BBQ......................BRIAN VARANI...............FALLS CHURCH, VA
GOONEY CREEK BBQ................BRUCE HENSON..............BROWNTOWN, VA
LYIN PIGS.............................MARK McDOWELL............ACCOKEEK, MD
DIRTY POP'S BBQ...................ROBERT KRAFT................FAIRFIELD, PA
DRILLING AND GRILLING...........DAN THOMAS.................GLEN ROCK, PA
270 SMOKERS........................TERRY WEST..................LEXINGTON, VA
VIRGINIA 'Q LADY...................STEPHANIE WEST............LEXINGTON, VA
SMOKIN TURTLE BBQ...............MIKE COFFROAD.............LANCASTER, PA
IHRER'S FIRES........................KEN IHRER.....................HARLEYSVILLE, PA
STEEL CITY SMOKERS.............TERRY MURPHY...............GREENCASTLE, PA
TIPSY PIGS...........................JIM SMITH.....................HEDGESVILLE, WV
C'N DIS BBQ..........................S DIS MCCARTHY............BOWIE, MD
BLACK DAWG BBQ...................VINCENT J TOMAN...........PITTSBURGH, PA
HOLLYWOOD N SWINE.............BILL ALLEN.....................MILLVILLE, NJ
UNCLE BUCK'S BBQ.................MIKE MACALUSO.............MANCHESTER, MD
CLAY HILL COOKERS...............JONATHON OTT..............GREENCASTLE, PA
HIGH ON THE HOG BBQ............ROBERT ANGOLIA.............FREDERICK, MD
5-0 BBQ...............................STEVE RODGERS..............HAMPSTEAD, MD

That's everyone...let the betting, backstabbing, mental sparring, and overall mayhem begin!

If you are not on the list, but have sent in your app, I haven't received it yet! I'll be sending them back to you when I get them. Thanks.

Disconnect
03-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Now that the list is out (and we're on it :) ..) can I get the rules..?

Slamdunkpro
03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Now that the list is out (and we're on it :) ..) can I get the rules..?

I'll post a link to the 2012 MABA rules shortly.

Kit R
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
no need to worry about me. you do just fine.

Please share with me the secret of successful Pennsylvania chicken! That category eludes me virtually every time I venture north of the Mason-Dixon line......:pray:

Kit R
03-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi Brethren.

Well.....WE'RE FULL AND THEN SOME! After receiving 6 apps with the same postmark date putting us over the 24 mark, I decided to go ahead and see if we could get to 30 teams - and we did. I even have (2) teams on the waiting list...... It seems like a lot of folks enjoy going Naked! Although if any of you do, there will be pictures...and internet posts...and other embarrasing, unsavory things that will occur.

OK, so here's the official list.....

4:20 Q..................................JAY REEDER..................CLEAR SPRING, MD
POTBELLY BBQ.......................DAVE NASH...................TANEYTOWN, MD
PORTER MAC'S ROCKIN'BBQ.......TIM MCMASTER.............YORK, PA
CRAZY DOG BBQ.....................TONY GRAY...................LANDISBURG, PA
ZOMBIE BARBECUE..................CHRISTOPHER MUMAW.....BETHLEHEM, PA
PEPPER MONKEY BBQ...............JOEL MATTESON............SHADY SIDE, MD
DEGUELLO BBQ........................KIT RUDD.....................SPRINGFIELD, VA
ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN BBQ.......SCOTT FELIX................ALUM BANK, PA
APPLEWAY BBQ.......................JEFF STOOPS...............SAINT THOMAS, PA
PHILLY BLIND PIG BBQ..............THOMAS BERA..............PHILADELPHIA, PA
BONE TO BARK BBQ.................TODD SPICKLER.............HAGERSTOWN, MD
CPL DEE BBQ..........................KENNETH W DEE............EXTON, PA
BIG MOOKS BBQ......................BRIAN VARANI...............FALLS CHURCH, VA
GOONEY CREEK BBQ................BRUCE HENSON..............BROWNTOWN, VA
LYIN PIGS.............................MARK McDOWELL............ACCOKEEK, MD
DIRTY POP'S BBQ...................ROBERT KRAFT................FAIRFIELD, PA
DRILLING AND GRILLING...........DAN THOMAS.................GLEN ROCK, PA
270 SMOKERS........................TERRY WEST..................LEXINGTON, VA
VIRGINIA 'Q LADY...................STEPHANIE WEST............LEXINGTON, VA
SMOKIN TURTLE BBQ...............MIKE COFFROAD.............LANCASTER, PA
IHRER'S FIRES........................KEN IHRER.....................HARLEYSVILLE, PA
STEEL CITY SMOKERS.............TERRY MURPHY...............GREENCASTLE, PA
TIPSY PIGS...........................JIM SMITH.....................HEDGESVILLE, WV
C'N DIS BBQ..........................S DIS MCCARTHY............BOWIE, MD
BLACK DAWG BBQ...................VINCENT J TOMAN...........PITTSBURGH, PA
HOLLYWOOD N SWINE.............BILL ALLEN.....................MILLVILLE, NJ
UNCLE BUCK'S BBQ.................MIKE MACALUSO.............MANCHESTER, MD
CLAY HILL COOKERS...............JONATHON OTT..............GREENCASTLE, PA
HIGH ON THE HOG BBQ............ROBERT ANGOLIA.............FREDERICK, MD
5-0 BBQ...............................STEVE RODGERS..............HAMPSTEAD, MD

That's everyone...let the betting, backstabbing, mental sparring, and overall mayhem begin!

If you are not on the list, but have sent in your app, I haven't received it yet! I'll be sending them back to you when I get them. Thanks.

WHAT?!?!? No Philly Underhogs to swoop in and demoralize/decimate/dominate the field just like they did in 2011? Eric, you better put out an APB for that pig because it's going home with someone else this year. As for who the pig goes home with, well that's up in the air.......

I am so happy to see Dave Nash is joining us. Dave, I am glad you're on the mend and I wish you the best this year.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
WHAT?!?!? No Philly Underhogs to swoop in and demoralize/decimate/dominate the field just like they did in 2011? Eric, you better put out an APB for that pig because it's going home with someone else this year. As for who the pig goes home with, well that's up in the air.......

I am so happy to see Dave Nash is joining us. Dave, I am glad you're on the mend and I wish you the best this year.

I know, the Underhogs told me they were in, but I never got an app from them. I was bummed too. I figured this year if they won, they'd bring a vehicle big enough to take home a new cooker purchased with the winnings. They wanted to do it last year, but barely had room for the pig!

Maybe whoever wins this year could do that...hint, hint, wink, wink. What a great idea!

Lots of great teams this year....about 50/50 teams from last year and new teams! This is gonna be fun!

PeppermonkeyBBQ
03-02-2012, 07:22 AM
It's not just you Kit ... But it's not all of PA ... It's only events that Eric hosts!! I don't even know why I bother trimming our chicken for Go Naked or Smoketoberfest!!! He's got to have some pull with those judges .... Regardless, I'll keep trimming, keep turning it in ... and maybe this year will be different.

PeppermonkeyBBQ
03-02-2012, 07:25 AM
I know, the Underhogs told me they were in, but I never got an app from them. I was bummed too. I figured this year if they won, they'd bring a vehicle big enough to take home a new cooker purchased with the winnings. They wanted to do it last year, but barely had room for the pig!

Maybe whoever wins this year could do that...hint, hint, wink, wink. What a great idea!

Lots of great teams this year....about 50/50 teams from last year and new teams! This is gonna be fun!

- Eric -

With all these teams ... and your guarantee of nice weather ... Couldn't you profit from a Backwoods raffle ???????

Disconnect
03-08-2012, 09:29 AM
We're pretty much a completely new team, so maybe I'm out of line for wanting to see the MABA rules before the competition starts. I feel like its a normal thing to get, but people have been asking since the 14th of January (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1914294&postcount=21) and they still haven't been posted. If I'm just being :Cry:, tell me to STFU and we'll suck it up and hope there are no unexpected quirks.

For KCBS comps it seems like they are linked everywhere - the comp website usually has it, the KCBS website has it, the pre-contest welcome email has it, etc. No amount of googling or browsing has turned up MABA rules though..

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
We're pretty much a completely new team, so maybe I'm out of line for wanting to see the MABA rules before the competition starts. I feel like its a normal thing to get, but people have been asking since the 14th of January (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1914294&postcount=21) and they still haven't been posted. If I'm just being :Cry:, tell me to STFU and we'll suck it up and hope there are no unexpected quirks.

For KCBS comps it seems like they are linked everywhere - the comp website usually has it, the KCBS website has it, the pre-contest welcome email has it, etc. No amount of googling or browsing has turned up MABA rules though..

if I am correct ( I may not be) I think its no garnich, 6 portions , no marking and no pooling. I think these may be the basic rules. ribs can be either baby backs or spare, chicken is what ever you want to use as long as it fits in the box.

I hope this helps.

Sal

Slamdunkpro
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Here you go - MABA 2012 Rules (http://www.mabbqa.com/publications/Mid%20Atlantic%20BBQ%20Association%202012%20Contes t%20rules%20.pdf)

Go Naked is a little different as they have a number of variances and it's not a 4 meat event. The rep will go over those differences at the cooks meeting.

Tack
03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
According to Section 13 of the MABA rules it is BIND Judging......................hmmmmmmmmmmm must be hard judging when ya are tied up!!!!

Disconnect
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks! :)

Slamdunkpro
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
According to Section 13 of the MABA rules it is BIND Judging......................hmmmmmmmmmmm must be hard judging when ya are tied up!!!!
Not anymore:heh:

tmcmaster
03-09-2012, 04:55 AM
That's how you know it's tender... You don't need no stinkin' hands!!!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I know it goes without saying, but if I don't say it, it will most likely come back to bite me, so please note that MABA Rule 6a does not apply at The Go Naked BBQ Show(down). No electric.

Disconnect
03-31-2012, 09:34 AM
We're thinking about coming up Fri and camping in our spot - is that still an option? (No rv or anything, just the cookers, camping tent, etc.)

Jonny Rotisserie
04-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow, I am too late to this party for sure, but I just wanted to give a shout out to say that I like the spirit of your competition. The art of BBQ seems to be getting lost to the world of glorified ovens and it is nice to see people going Old School.

I realize that you guys are already full up, but I did still have a question. For competitions, I only use an Auspit rotisserie over an open fire pit, like this:
http://www.auspitbbq.com/forum%20content/Rancho%20Cordova%20July%202011/IMG_3228.JPG
http://www.auspitbbq.com/forum%20content/Rancho%20Cordova%20July%202011/IMG_3236.JPG

They are battery powered. Would that be allowed under the rules you are using?

--Jonny Rotisserie

ClayHill
04-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Wow, I am too late to this party for sure, but I just wanted to give a shout out to say that I like the spirit of your competition. The art of BBQ seems to be getting lost to the world of glorified ovens and it is nice to see people going Old School.

I realize that you guys are already full up, but I did still have a question. For competitions, I only use an Auspit rotisserie over an open fire pit, like this:

They are battery powered. Would that be allowed under the rules you are using?

--Jonny Rotisserie

They would not be allowed, as they are electric.......and would give you an unfair advantage over folks who have to spin their spits by hand:becky:.

I like your style but it would not be alllowed, as strange as that may seem, the line was drawn at electric....period

Disconnect
04-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I thought I saw it in the thread earlier, but I can't find it now. Is propane allowed to reheat sauces (no meat) KCBS style? If not we're good, its one less thing to bring :)

(If you don't see this before tonight we'll just ask when we get there, no big deal.)

Can't wait!!

(Update: I'm stupid, its right there in the FAQ. Stoves are ok so long as meat "aided in cooking"..)