PDA

View Full Version : PID controllers on EBay

Warthog
01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Did anyone see these on EBay? What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charcoal-Burning-BBQ-Grill-Smoker-Pit-Temperature-Controller-600-Remote-WIFI-/140654979876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item20bfb0ab24

colonel00
01-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Interesting. The listing actually references a thread here. It looks like the seller is a forum member from China.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114022

El Pistolero
01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
In the brethren thread the seller references, he says:

I expect many more feedbacks in 2 to 3 weeks.

The lack of any more posts on this in 4 months would be a bit of a red flag to me.

big brother smoke
01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Just make sure you are not buying something without acceptable reviews. Find out who here has tried this PID.

B-Lazy BBQ
01-12-2012, 04:30 AM
In my best Obi Wan Kenobi voice

These are not the PID's you are looking for

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

stubshaft
01-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Wasn't he the same guy that was pushing the cold smoke generator?

brickie
01-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Looks interesting and actually well made...Anybody gonna be the guinea pig?

brickie

5-0 BBQ
01-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Wasn't he the same guy that was pushing the cold smoke generator?
He goes by woodpelletsmoker (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=22828) on the Brethren. He is not very active here, has posted 10 times and all of them were related to his products. I had asked one of the mods about him awhile back because he did not meet the tenure and post requirements to be in Sales and Ventures. I know I had my 6 months and over 100 posts.

Just my 2 cents

Jaskew82
01-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Yea... it seems like it MIGHT be a case of you get what you pay for. For $100, it seems like great value, but I am not going to be the guinea pig.

Dr_KY
01-12-2012, 09:11 AM
I have made contact with Wank a few times but so far all I have gotten is he offers no guarantee with his stuff because he is in China.

1FUNVET
01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Looks interesting and actually well made...Anybody gonna be the guinea pig?

brickie

Not me :becky:

jmcrig
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
He claims the probe wires are good to 480 degrees. One little grease fire, which they all have, and the wires are toast. How do you get them replaced if he has moved on to other ventures? In the long run, buy from someone that will be there when you need them.
I guess that's three cents.

BobBrisket
01-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Seems he is more active on his Ventures Forum. You all may want to address these concerns there so that he can answer them personally.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Bob

BBQchef33
01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
He has a ventures forum, and used to run a banner ad also.. our correspondence seems to go thru an online interpreter of sorts. Ebay is all positive feedback and seems to have other stuff too. http://stores.ebay.com/pelletpits

Thats about all i can help with.

keep in mind, as stated in our ventures section, that area is PAID advertising and in no way constitutes an endorsement.

BBQchef33
01-12-2012, 08:51 PM
He goes by woodpelletsmoker (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=22828) on the Brethren. He is not very active here, has posted 10 times and all of them were related to his products. I had asked one of the mods about him awhile back because he did not meet the tenure and post requirements to be in Sales and Ventures. I know I had my 6 months and over 100 posts.

Just my 2 cents

The security rules that were written to control subscription access started failing due to an inherited change in some rules higher up the chain. This allowed some vendors subscriptions to get thru without the tenure and establish before they were caught. This came along when we were experimenting with banner ads and we have decided to allow the banner advertisers to purchase an associated vendor forum regardless of tenure. I am in the process reworking the guidelines. We will also be offering reduced banner ad rates with vendor forum subscriptions.

i just have to stop procrastinating and do it. :icon_blush:

Soulman1282
01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
It looks like the control panel on the DeLorean in "Back to the Future" that tells you what year you're coming from and what your destination year is! LOL

esselle
01-13-2012, 06:25 AM
I have made contact with Wank a few times but so far all I have gotten is he offers no guarantee with his stuff because he is in China.
Is that his real name? If it is that has made my day :laugh:
Is this the same guy that has been banned from the BBBQS site or have I got my wires crossed?

Dr_KY
01-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Is this the same guy that has been banned from the BBBQS site or have I got my wires crossed?
Sorry it's a TYPO his name is Wang if I'm not mistaken again.

Didn't you buy one of his units? What's it like? There are photos of the basic set-up that someone purchased on another forum and they were not real happy with how it arrived ie. dirty probe and thin wiring. Can't comment on the wiring as I'm no electrician.

esselle
01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Sorry it's a TYPO his name is Wang if I'm not mistaken again.

Didn't you buy one of his units? What's it like? There are photos of the basic set-up that someone purchased on another forum and they were not real happy with how it arrived ie. dirty probe and thin wiring. Can't comment on the wiring as I'm no electrician.
Not me Al....I bought the Pitmaster IQ110....very happy with it.

Dr_KY
01-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Oh sorry I knew someone over there was mentioned to be looking into the blower set up. Sorry Scott.

colonel00
01-13-2012, 09:16 AM
I think he should donate a few units for testing purposes :thumb:

landshark530
01-31-2012, 08:42 PM
I purchased one of these controllers, mostly based on the price and options. I was going to build my own pid controller, but this unit was only about 40 bucks more than I was going to invest on a single readout unit.
My cost for the golden-wolf with a fan and flange was $158.00. The duel readout made the difference over a single readout unit.

Shipping took about a week. I had a short delay due to some manufacturing problem during the new year week. My bad for ordering during the holidays. They threw in an extra temp sensor for the trouble.

I received the unit and started testing the with boiling water and with my pellet stove I use to heat my home. The temp controlls worked well. The fan unit is a 50 cfm fan, which is plenty for my chargriller and uds. The other controllers I looked at only had 5, 10, or 25 cfm motors, with the 35 cfm motor being $150+ just for the motor. Computer fans, which is what all these controllers on the market use, cost about a one dollar per cfm, so charging 180 dollars for a 25 cfm fan is highway robbery.

The unit can control the pit based on pit temp, or meat temp, or run a program that will do both. I just used the pit temp and ran the meat temp as a backup.
I used a 5 dollar electical box to attach it to my side firebox. I thought the higher cfm fan might be an issue, but I had no problems. The unit can also be adjusted so the fan does not run at 100%.
I threw on some counrty style ribs for a test, no reason to waste expensive meat. I had an initial spike when I started the cook, but after that the system ran better than expected, and kept temps where I set it. I forgot to add fuel and it dropped to 190. I threw on another hunk of wood and it recovered with the fan quickly.
I jumped the temps at the end and it changed and ran accurately without fail. Temps remained within 5 degrees and most of the time stayed dead on. My smoker is not air tight and I was using charcoal to start, then used apple and cherry wood.
I used a 4amp power supply because the fan is a 2 amp fan, but I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat.
The instructions are not the clearest, but I was able to figure them out. You can program 4 different cookings phases, but it was easy to turn them off and just run one program.
There are high temp and low temp alarms, Setting them at extreme ranges eliminates them going off if you don't need them.

I extended the fan wires to give me some more room to work with. I just used a small cooler to hold the unit for this test.

landshark530
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
I forgot to mention. My ribs turned out great. Was also my first time using Myron Mixon's rubs from his book. The ribs were so good I forgot to take pics. My bad, again... I'll be doing a brisket this weekend and will try to remember to get some pics.

I did not get any price drop or deal for my review, but I felt this was a decent product and half the cost of units with the same options.

The fact that you can run the pit and monitor the meat without having to buy another product was also a nice feature. The alarm is loud enough that once it goes off if you don't respond to it, your neighbors are sure to call you and let you know about it. It's not loud, but loud enough, not a bad thing.

woodpelletsmoker
02-01-2012, 01:40 AM
I am the manufacturer of this controller of GOLDEN-WOLF in China
My name is Wang Zhaohui, Wang is family name, Chinese culture.
Please check mt eBay link to find eBay score and feedback. Most buyers are from American

Dear landshark530, if you fine tune P.I.D, temperature fluctuation shall be under 1or 2 F.
First set I=0. and D=0. Try P from a small value, say 5, and increase step by step, till temperature goes crazy, out of control. then drop P again step by step till the temperature is stable. the P value shall be 60-70% of this stable value. Then try different I and find the best value, last D. This is a trial and error practice. Different application may have different PID value.

Dear Dr_KY, someone got a dirty probe because probe was out stock and I sent 2 probes used by me before. This was just for fast delivery.

Jan.23 is Chinese new year, the spring festival. All country were on holiday Jan.22 to 27.
But if you watch China news on TV, many chinese people (more than 100 million population!) were moving back to home town. Big burden on train and air. Most workers can not be back factories on Jan.27. I have 48 orders waiting for fan for delivery. I am promised today that the fan will be ready on Feb.6

Yes I am also selling cold smoke generator, check my eBay score and feedback please, I have sold many pieces and most byers are Australian. It can burn SAW DUST, it is made from stainless steel. Please compare it with Smoke Daddy.

woodpelletsmoker
02-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Thanks for modern technology of computer science, it is very easy to develop a smarter controller. The key is micro processors, the chips, I need only to write a smarter software, the program. Most programmers are from China and India. It is a Hi-Tech, but MANY can do it.
I am much more proud of my burner. No auger is needed. Construction is very simple, so the price. With my burner and controller, you can turn your pit to an automatic pit. The burner can burn charcoal, chips, and pellet. I am attacked and being attacked by many American welders on thesmokering.
That is the reason why I am not active on American BBQ forums. Someone said that I re-invented wheels. It is not true because my burner is much simple and temperature fluctuation is 1 F. If none else can do it, it must be something unique.
Due to extremely high shipping cost to send single Smoker to American, I fail to sell complete smoker to American. I did sell Offset and Cabinet smoker to Australia and Canada. I sold 11 pieces of burner to American for upgrading old pit to automatic pit.
If I have right partners financially and commercially, my burner shall kill ALL pellet pits! I am more an engineer, designer, inventor than a business man.
When we talk Carbon Print, Ego-Friendly, we shall keep in mind that Pellet smoker is much more complicated constructed, which means that more materials like iron copper paint are needed, also more electricity is consumed,
My burner is simple, less material is needed, less electricity is consumed.
Simple construction means high reliable too. Electrical parts are fan and controller. Price of fan is US$20, price of controller US$99. If you replace a new one, cost is not that much. Maintenance is easy and cheaper.
My cold smoke generator is more simple than smoke Daddy.
I have patent of grease catch grill, which I do not find any similar.It is different from grease pan.
If you want to be No.1 in BBQ area, contact me please.

Traeger, Weber, landmann, Brinkmann just name a few, are all made in China.
Trust China please.

woodpelletsmoker
02-01-2012, 04:53 AM
There are too few active members there and web master asks for paid ad.
Before BBBQS is as attractive as bbq-brethren I will not buy its ad.
Without enough active members ban or not is meaningless

Brizz
02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
An iQue 110 is $140. The Golden Wolf is $160. What am I missing? What's the value proposition of the Wolf? The extra probe? What am I missing?

El Pistolero
02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
An iQue 110 is $140. The Golden Wolf is $160. What am I missing? What's the value proposition of the Wolf? The extra probe? What am I missing?

Without making any value judgement one way or the other, I will say that 1) the IQ is a simple thermostat, while the GW is a PID*, 2) IQ is analog, GW is digital, and 3) IQ does not actually display the temp, while GW displays the temp of both the pit and the meat.

*PID - "A proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller) is a generic control loop feedback mechanism (controller) widely used in industrial control systems".

colonel00
02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
The GW can also run programs based on the meat or pit temps. For instance, let's say I want to do a hot and fast brisket but I want the temps to be low for the first part of the cook. From what I understand (I do not have one of these units...yet) you can program the GW to maintain temps at a lower level for an amount of time or even until the meat reaches a certain temp. Then it can change the pit temp to a higher temp.

Also, looking at some of the available options now, I am highly intrigued. There is one option for a remote so you can control the unit and view the current data from inside you house. There is also a wifi unit that can be pretty cool. I am really tempted to try one of these out. Sadly, I don't know which I would want or how I would connect it to a UDS at this point.

woodpelletsmoker, is there an option for both wifi and the remote?

Funky D
02-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Adding on to senor Pistolero, if the fan that comes with this is truly 50 CFM, it can probably maintain the heat on my stick burner. The iQue is only strong enough to maintain Eggs, WSMs, and the occasional UDS as far as I know...

I'd be in for one in a heartbeat, but without good instructions, I'd be worried about getting it working, and getting a solid mount to the smoke monster.

colonel00
02-01-2012, 11:44 AM
I'd be in for one in a heartbeat, but without good instructions, I'd be worried about getting it working, and getting a solid mount to the smoke monster.

Check out the bottom of the ebay listing. I just noticed it as well. It looks like there are plenty of adapters available so they might have one that will work or be able to make one.

There are a couple of adapters that look like they will work fine for a UDS so that is one step closer to me trying one of these out. I just need to decide if wifi is that important.

woodpelletsmoker
02-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Golden-Wolf has two probes, and has two displays of temperature.
Golden-WOLF has option of automatic or manual
Price of Golden-Wolf is US$99.
Price of Golden-Wolf, + fan+ flange is US$128
SAL mail cost is US$30
total US$158
the fan is much BIGGER.

woodpelletsmoker
02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
The GW can also run programs based on the meat or pit temps. For instance, let's say I want to do a hot and fast brisket but I want the temps to be low for the first part of the cook. From what I understand (I do not have one of these units...yet) you can program the GW to maintain temps at a lower level for an amount of time or even until the meat reaches a certain temp. Then it can change the pit temp to a higher temp.

Also, looking at some of the available options now, I am highly intrigued. There is one option for a remote so you can control the unit and view the current data from inside you house. There is also a wifi unit that can be pretty cool. I am really tempted to try one of these out. Sadly, I don't know which I would want or how I would connect it to a UDS at this point.

woodpelletsmoker, is there an option for both wifi and the remote?
Your understanding is absolutely right from my poor ENGLISH description.
Smarter!
Remote is most useful. I personally like it most.
After I light the fire, I leave the smoker in my yard, I do my job inside room for hours with handy set on my pocket.
WIFI is good for competition for absent team members. I do not think you will do smoking on working days. You leave smoker in your backyard for 10 hours and you check temperature at your office via Internet. Yes it can. But in case you need refill fuel, then how can you do it.
I can do ANY customer flange/adapter, simply give me drawing/picture/photography and size

woodpelletsmoker
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Adding on to senor Pistolero, if the fan that comes with this is truly 50 CFM, it can probably maintain the heat on my stick burner. The iQue is only strong enough to maintain Eggs, WSMs, and the occasional UDS as far as I know...

Even my English manual is poor, all buyers use it correctly
Why not you.
You can also communicate with other customers.
please read operation manual first http://www.allchinas.com/probe/manual.htm
I can do customer flange/adapter for you

woodpelletsmoker
02-01-2012, 05:28 PM
please check http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140654979876&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Model of FOX is US$40, it is digital, single probe, also PID output but by relay instead of variable voltage as WOLF. You can buy a speed regulator.
FOX+Fan+Flange+Speed regulator is US$60.
SAl mail cost US$30
total US$90,
again it is digital, PID, and with speed regulator,flange,fan

Brizz
02-01-2012, 05:29 PM
So really the competition is a Stoker which runs about $410. I have to be honest, I'm halfway tempted to buy one of these Goldens, try it out and if I like it make a business out of this baby. From what I've seen the only company who is coming close to creating an all around good product and customer experience is Stoker. And for $400/unit their market isn't exactly huge.

woodpelletsmoker
02-01-2012, 05:49 PM
So really the competition is a Stoker which runs about $410. I have to be honest, I'm halfway tempted to buy one of these Goldens, try it out and if I like it make a business out of this baby. From what I've seen the only company who is coming close to creating an all around good product and customer experience is Stoker. And for $400/unit their market isn't exactly huge.

I prefer to sell WIFI model for its higher price.
But WIFI is useful for competition for absent team members. I do not think you can do smoking for 10 hours while your smoker is at your backyard and you are at office.
Personally I will recommend Wireless Remote model, the TIGER.
For limited budget, FOX is an option.

Triple T BBQ
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Well I just ordered a wifi model off your ebay add. I do need to make sure this included a fan with it of course. Also can you post a picture of how you can control it via wifi or if it just posts to things like facebook/twitter/emails etc. I may have ordered the wrong model on the add though. Looking for the lion promotional package complete with WIFI, fan, controller for 198. I just ordered the 98 dollar wireless setup which seems to be missing the fan and mount.

Happy to give you a postive feedback once I get to test it. :thumb:

colonel00
02-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I have spoken to the seller as well through PM and I think I will be getting the Tiger model with the remote. I am just waiting to find out how to properly order so I get the correct package and adapter flange.

landshark530
02-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I found that you order the base unit, and then message the seller with the upgrades/unit type that you want. He will send an invoice for what you want. It went smooth once I got that straight.

Panthers65
02-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I prefer to sell WIFI model for its higher price.
But WIFI is useful for competition for absent team members. I do not think you can do smoking for 10 hours while your smoker is at your backyard and you are at office.
Personally I will recommend Wireless Remote model, the TIGER.
For limited budget, FOX is an option.

You've obviously never smoked on a UDS before, I can go 20+ hours on my drum no problem, and cook from work regularly with my Stoker.:thumb:

colonel00
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Could either landshark or the seller post some photos of the probes? What is shown in the ebay listing is very limited and the probes seem to be blunt and some have threads at the base for something? I am just curious.

Also, landshark, looking back at your photos, the close-up shows both the pit and meat temps as the same. I am assuming you just had the meat probe sitting in the smoker too?

woodpelletsmoker
02-02-2012, 07:34 AM
You've obviously never smoked on a UDS before, I can go 20+ hours on my drum no problem, and cook from work regularly with my Stoker.:thumb:
Great. This means that LION has more room to play

woodpelletsmoker
02-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Could either landshark or the seller post some photos of the probes? What is shown in the ebay listing is very limited and the probes seem to be blunt and some have threads at the base for something? I am just curious.

Also, landshark, looking back at your photos, the close-up shows both the pit and meat temps as the same. I am assuming you just had the meat probe sitting in the smoker too?

please check http://allchinas.com/probe/
pit and meat temperature are shown at same time.
If you put both probes together, they will show same data

Brizz
02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I have to be honest, I'm halfway tempted to buy one of these Goldens, try it out and if I like it make a business out of this baby.

Or I'll let you guys do it :thumb:

Triple T BBQ
02-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Just a quick update to this thread. I ordered one of these and due to some confusion about his ebay add, we ended up changing the order. I wanted Wifi/Web control and the fan and smoker adapter, not just the base unit. Wang has been in constant communciation so far and quickly updated my order and emailed me and updated my paypal bill within hours. So far, great service. Waiting to hear when it will ship and we can get on with calibration testing and actual product use. Pics to follow as soon we get it here. :-D

woodpelletsmoker
02-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Just a quick update to this thread. I ordered one of these and due to some confusion about his ebay add, we ended up changing the order. I wanted Wifi/Web control and the fan and smoker adapter, not just the base unit. Wang has been in constant communciation so far and quickly updated my order and emailed me and updated my paypal bill within hours. So far, great service. Waiting to hear when it will ship and we can get on with calibration testing and actual product use. Pics to follow as soon we get it here. :-D
I am planning to send Monday orTues

colonel00
02-02-2012, 08:25 PM
My order is in as well. I chose the Tiger model which comes with a remote and I got the flange adapter with the pipe fitting so I can attach it to my UDS easily. Looking forward to giving this a good workout and passing on a review.

http://allchinas.com/probe/tiger.jpg

http://allchinas.com/probe/adapterC.jpg

landshark530
02-03-2012, 05:48 PM
cooking to briskets tomorrow, will try and remember pics.

colonel00
02-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Looking forward to it. More important than pictures would be a log of the cook and a secondary thermo to verify temps.

landshark530
02-04-2012, 09:17 AM
[Dear landshark530, if you fine tune P.I.D, temperature fluctuation shall be under 1or 2 F.
First set I=0. and D=0. Try P from a small value, say 5, and increase step by step, till temperature goes crazy, out of control. then drop P again step by step till the temperature is stable. the P value shall be 60-70% of this stable value. Then try different I and find the best value, last D. This is a trial and error practice. Different application may have different PID value.[/QUOTE]

For long cooks (5-14 hours) with temps set in the 250 to 350 range, what would be a good setting for I and D ??

Should they be changed at all?? Why was the default at 60 and 240?

Thanks

woodpelletsmoker
02-04-2012, 09:32 AM
[Dear landshark530, if you fine tune P.I.D, temperature fluctuation shall be under 1or 2 F.
First set I=0. and D=0. Try P from a small value, say 5, and increase step by step, till temperature goes crazy, out of control. then drop P again step by step till the temperature is stable. the P value shall be 60-70% of this stable value. Then try different I and find the best value, last D. This is a trial and error practice. Different application may have different PID value.

For long cooks (5-14 hours) with temps set in the 250 to 350 range, what would be a good setting for I and D ??

Should they be changed at all?? Why was the default at 60 and 240?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

If you change a new pit, you need to tune PID again.
At first I just use the default for other application. not for smoking.
Smoking in China is not popular, or not accepted.
I develop all these things just for export

landshark530
02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
I understand the export reasoning, and the application and your application may be different. I'm trying to understand "if or why" I would need to change the default settings, and how that exactly works...meaning...how do you "tune" the pid controller if you want to.

It works fine as is, but you mentioned a few posts back that I can get better performance my tuning it. It's the "tuning" I am clueless about.
Thanks

landshark530
02-05-2012, 06:10 PM
So I started yesteray's cook. The goal was to cook 2 8# briskets that my neighbor brought back from a trip to Texas. This was my first attempt at a full brisket. I thought that they were full briskets. I believe that they were just large flats. The plan was to use the hot and fast method from a certain tv bbq personality.
The recipe calls for the meat to be smoked in a aluminum pan, and to cook/smoke at 350 degrees.
I started the fire in the sode firebox of my chargriller. Because the controller has a manual setting that runs the fan at full, I started the fire and used the manual setting to get up to temp. I just had to watch the temps as the fire was getting constant oxygen. I was using oak, cherry, and apple woods
I got up to temp with no problems. I put on both pans of meat and started the cook. The pans were probably too large and covered 90% of the cooking surface, limiting airflow. More on this later.
There was a post regarding temp verification. I verified the temp probes when I bought the unit using the outlet of my peller stove. I forgot to mention I also tested them in boiling water, switched the probes, and retested them. Mr chargriller as 4 thermometers stuck in it from previous use, as the factory thermometer on the main unit is about as usefull as a screen door on a submarine.
I was, and still am confident that the probes are accurate and work properly.
Back to my cook. As soon as I added the pans my temp dropped to 250 and I could not get it to rise. The controller was set to 350, and the fan was running. I had a huge fire and would have melted iron with it.
I was using a difusser, so I moved that to allow heat to get past a slot and into the main chamber faster, still no temp rise. Was maintaining 250, but I needed 350, wtf...
More double checking and then I figured it out. I had put in a mod to the exhaust stack using 2 3" flex elbows to get the grill to vent better. The end of the modded exhaust was stuck down in one of the pans when I closed the lid, cutting of the airflow. I pulled that off and smushed the pans to give me more airflow. Temps jumped to 350 and stayed there.
The briskets were done in 4 1/2 hours. Threw them in a cooler for another 4 hours. They turned out tender enough, but I was dissapointed with my first hot and fast attempt. It was not worthy of pics.
Now that I pulled off the meat, I ran the controller the rest of the day. I ran steady at 350, and fluctuation was always between 350-355. I flipped it to manual and ran it up to 400 degrees, and put it back on auto. I cooled back down, recovered, and ran at 350. I dropped it again to 250 and it cooled the grill and then ran at 250 without problems. My other temp guages were spot on. The factory unit read 150-160 degrees all day. That one will be ripped out this spring....
I'm a stickler for maintaining temps and this unit has proven itself, even if though I fell I screwed up on the cook.
The manual setting is a nice feature not really advertised. If you happen to take a nap during the cook and forget to throw on a log, you can do so, and then put the unit on manual and get back up to temp fast. Once back up to temp throw it back on auto and you're back on track.
I researched some other threads regarding pid builds and their pid settings are consistent with the ones posted here, but I'm not going to mess with the factory settings until I full day during the spring or summer to just play with it. It's too cold to mess with it now. As it is it runs great and I don't see the need to tweak it.
So the question is, would I buy one again. Hell yes, and I will be getting the wireless version. Probably stick this one on my uds.

woodpelletsmoker
02-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks landshark530
None else gave me such detailed feedback before you.
Temperature fluctuation of 5 F may be due to different design of fire box.
Usually you guys have much bigger fire box than gravity feed burner of mine.
the "fire box" of my burner is 4"x6"x1". It can only burn broken charcoal and pellet.
Temperature fluctuation in my insulated smoker is 1F

colonel00
02-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Interesting review landshark530. It does stand to reason that temperature control on a chargriller could be a challenge even with this controller based on the nature of the cooker. Still, a 5 degree variance is pretty good. I have a COS that I have played with at times and I know how difficult it is to control temps over long periods of time. I look forward to receiving my unit and putting it through its paces.

I am kind of confused about your references to Manual setting. You say the Manual setting runs the fan at full but then you said you dropped it to 250. So, I am assuming that the manual mode allows you to set a target temp that is not part of the program? I am thinking along the lines of a programmable home thermostat. You have your set program but you can raise or lower the temp in a "manual" manner when you want. Am I correct here? I guess I will figure it all out soon enough. Thanks again for your review.

woodpelletsmoker
02-06-2012, 06:51 AM
BY manual, you can change speed of fan by press "+" or "-".
It has nothing to do with probes.
It is up to you, your experience, your eyes.
When I do searing, I use manual mode,and keep pressing "+" till the maximum fan speed

landshark530
02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I did not know I could change the fan speeds. I just knew that when I switch to manual it runs the fan non stop. Learn something new every day, I missed that part on the Manual.

When I changed the temps I was in the automatic mode and wanted to see how the unit did when changing temps,etc. So in the test I ran it at 350, then changed the set (auto) temp to 250. The unit stopped the fan until the unit cooled to 250, then kept it there as programmed.

I made the mistake of putting too much on the cooking surface, (the large pans) that cut airflow by at least 80%.
Live and learn I guess.

woodpelletsmoker
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I must need professional to write operation manual.

colonel00
02-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Once I get mine, I will be more than happy to help with the manual.

va_connoisseur
02-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I must need professional to write operation manual.

Send me a PM. I write training manuals for a living.

Triple T BBQ
02-12-2012, 10:55 PM
WPS, Do you have an approximate date when my order will be arriving?

Thx,

T3BBQ

woodpelletsmoker
02-13-2012, 03:12 AM
SAL, air and land mail takes 3 weeks

mgcolby
02-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Do you have any screen shots of the web interface? Does it log the cook like a Stoker? I'm very interested in buying one but would like to know some of this before purchasing.

woodpelletsmoker
02-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Do you have any screen shots of the web interface? Does it log the cook like a Stoker? I'm very interested in buying one but would like to know some of this before purchasing.
www.allchinas.com/probe/wifi.htm

mgcolby
02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
www.allchinas.com/probe/wifi.htm (http://www.allchinas.com/probe/wifi.htm)

so it doesn't do real time temperature logging like the Stoker? That was the feature that had me wanting the wifi. If not then the remote one would probably do.

colonel00
02-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Apparently mine has arrived. I have to swing by my office to pick it up but I look forward to playing with it this weekend.

woodpelletsmoker
02-17-2012, 06:48 PM
so it doesn't do real time temperature logging like the Stoker? That was the feature that had me wanting the wifi. If not then the remote one would probably do.
I do not know stoker and I never use it.
You can view temperature and change settings by your computer in real time.
It does not have diagram of time via temperature and output voltage
I will add the diagram in next production

colonel00
02-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Well, I have been playing with mine for a little bit now in the kitchen and overall I am pretty impressed. I plan to do a full review shortly along with a long cook. I do have a couple of questions though. With the remote I can switch to manual mode but I cannot seem to figure out how to adjust the fan speed in manual mode with the remote. Is there something I am missing? Also, in the photos below I show both probes. My assumption is that the probe with the nut is the pit probe and the nut is there so the probe can be attached to the pit. However, this probe is noticeably smaller than the other probe. Since they both have dull ends I was curious as to whether I have guessed correctly about which probes are which and why the meat probe is so large?

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/colonel00/2012-02-17byEye-Fi/IMG_0792.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/colonel00/2012-02-17byEye-Fi/IMG_0793.jpg

colonel00
02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Also, do you have a company name? You have named your products but I do not know what your product line is called. All Chinas?

woodpelletsmoker
02-18-2012, 01:28 AM
1.You can press "+ -" on the TIGER to adjust Fan speed.
But you can not change fan speed on handy set.

2.Both probes are same technically. The outer port is for Pit temperature, and the inner port is for meat temperature.

3.This is more a hobby than a business. If you American accept it, I will upgrade it to a formal business. So far technically it is successful, but commercial it is uncertain. I sell about 20 pieces per month. This sale can not support a formal business. Hope I can find An American partner soon.

Triple T BBQ
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
WPS, can you explain how the wireless function works? I ordered the unit with wireless but did not get the handset remote monitor. I am interested in what it is capable of? IE does it connect with a webserver or have a built in webserver I can connect to from my laptop? Is there a PDF of the functions and document describing the operation on this unit? It finally arrived yesteday and I am just taking it out of the box today.

colonel00
02-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Triple T, based on the images here, it looks like you connect to Lion just like if it was a wireless router. I am guessing that it should be broadcasting its SSID and you should be able to find it. That covers a direct connection from a PC, laptop or phone but I still don't see how you actually connect the Lion to the "internet" where you can view the cook via a browser.

http://www.allchinas.com/probe/wifi.htm

Triple T BBQ
02-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks Brad. It looks like it has a basic router/bridge settings in it so it can connect with your wireless router. It also seems to have a basic web server in it to allow you to browse to the unit and see the prop temps. Thats all good. I can either open up a port on the home firewall to this unit and only allow port 80 traffic to come through, or I can setup and SSL (Secure Tunnel) across the internet to smoker controller. What I am really interested in is if it has anyway to send out information, say like email, log files, etc so one could allow it to post info to another application or even a social network site. I may have to write something to poll the web interface and then repost it then.

Any idea what the default password is for the admin screen? Will start with admin and password once I locate a 12volt transformer to use with this thing. Frankly I am a little under impressed with the whole thing so far. Nice idea but is needs a bit of refinement in my opinion.

colonel00
02-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I know someone asked about logging and Wang said it would be a feature in an upcoming version. Good to see that you know networking. I don't think it would take much for someone to write a front end for the controller that really took advantage of some of the possibilities like you mention.

Triple T BBQ
02-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Well its 12volts and he doesn't ship it with a 110v transformer to begin with so I think this is how he gets around that concern. I am going to open it up shortly to see what we all have soon enough. It seems like a nice unit so far. Picked up a 12v power suppliy for it this afternoon at the local discount store. Will fire it up tomorrow when I put the brisket and ribs on the charbroil smoker (old one) and give it a spin. It will get the smoke test, literally, then. ;>

woodpelletsmoker
02-25-2012, 07:06 PM
As someone who does business in China, Be afraid, be very afraid. For starters it is probably not up to US safety standards (electrical).

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
The power is 12 VDC. It is MOST safe voltage.

Many made in China is poor quality as the American importers push the buying price down and down. Say Traeger 070 ex-works price in China is $199. The OEM manufacturer says if I got $20 extra, I would have used 3 mm steel instead of 1.5mm.

This controller is developed, manufactured and sold by me, not via any third party. This controller is already much cheaper than Auber,Guru, Stoker. I do not have any reason to sacrifice quality in exchange of a few extra coins. Instead I would like to pay extra cost of $10 for best quality, and then I can raise my selling price by 30% or 50%.

Triple T BBQ
02-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Wang. What is the default password when connecting via your web interface? It looks like the username is admin. Guessing the password is password?

Triple T BBQ
02-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Got the unit up and running. Boy does this thing ever need a good manual. :oops:
I have the golden lion unit which has wireless and does not come with the wireless handset unlike the GOLDEN-TIGER. You are supposed to be able to access it over a wireless connection using your web browser. I have not been able to complety test this just yet.

It does come up with a default wireless SSID of GOLDEN-LION and the wireless security is off or set to OPEN for those of you are familiar with networking. I ran a port scan on it and its got three open ports on it over the wireless interface. Port 23, typically used for telnet and it does respond with a telnet server but wants an admin password. Good idea since you don't want a tech savey competitor to change your settings while you are asleep.

It also has port 80 and port 1080 open as HTTP interfaces on it. When I connect to port 80 it just sits there and does not respond to get requests from the web browser. Most likely since its not quite setup right yet. I then connected to port 1080 which seems to be the admin port since it pops right up with a login prompt.
Example: http://192.168.1.15:1080.

First off a suggestion. Wang, I am going to assume you are selling to the US for the most part, I would recommend that you set the default temp display to F instead of C. Much easier for most of to use.

Second suggestion: Ship the unit with 110v transformer to 12v allow us plug this in while in the house and setup the unit like we want. Its 38 degrees outside right now where I live so I am not going to spend time outside to do this.

I stopped by my local savers/salvation army/goodwill and picked up a used laptop transformer that puts out 12volts and 1.8 amps which is more than what we need to run the fan.

Third observation. When I am looking at the T1 variable on the screen I only get part of the T on the screen. Programming bug?

Next question: You mentioned that you are going to upgrade the web interface in the next release. So how do I upgrade when you get a new firmware made available? Can I send the new firmware to the unit using the webserver or via the telnet service? Or is there a serial or USB port on the logic board inside the box?

landshark530
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
As someone who does business in China, Be afraid, be very afraid. For starters it is probably not up to US safety standards (electrical).

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

The post regarding safety has no merit, and no basis to support such a statement.

I'm no electrician, but I'm not sure how you could start a fire in a sealed metal box smaller that a 4"x4" electrical box with 12 volts, no oxygen, and no fuel, and the whole unit is grounded.....

I had another chance to run my unit on a 7 hour pork butt cook, and it worked great. I started my fire and used the manual setting to get my smoker up to temp. Like Wang stated, you can crank up the fan in manual mode, and it's pushing 50+cfm on high. I ran it at about 30% and was at temp in no time. This is a huge time saver. I run a chargriller which can be a pain to get up to temp. I normally waste an hour+ getting it stabalized. That is no longer a problem now. I also love the fact that when I forget to put in wood and the temp drops (when I fall asleep), I can throw some wood in and put it on manual to get back up to temp. I forgot to add wood about 4 times since having the controller and it's amazing how fast I can get back up to temp.

A small 12 volt adapter will not be enough to run this unit. If your not using a solid 12 volt gel cell battery you need a power supply of atleast 2-4 amps. I am using a laptop power supply which is 4 amp output and it struggles if the fan is on high. Because of the fan's power draw, (which is fine, I'd rather have a big fan than a 5 or 10 cfm whimpy fan) you need a good power supply. The laptop supply is not made for constant output.

I'm going to convert a atx computer power supply to a bench power supply and use that to run everything. Will have enough spare power to run some lights and a radio too. (5 bucks at radio shack and a youtube tutorial).

For a battery, a the standard 7ah battery for a vexilar fish locator will work awesome. They run about 16-20 bucks at sporting goods stores. I just like tinkering, and I sold my vexilar with my spare batteries.

woodpelletsmoker
03-02-2012, 08:11 AM
please find the battery I am using, the blue thing
It is 12 VDC 1.5 A.H. Li ion battery It can power the system for 10 hours in my mini cabinet smoker. If you have a big smoker, 4 to 6 a.h. must be big enough. Here in China my battery is US$15 and charger US$15 too. Upper ruler is in cm and lower in inch
http://allchinas.com/probe/libatteryebay.jpg

Dr_KY
03-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Triple T the log in / password should be-

Username:admin
Password:000000

Dr_KY
03-03-2012, 02:15 AM
Got the unit up and running. Boy does this thing ever need a good manual. :oops:

I found these instructions from other post on the internet...

But to help you further, you can follow these steps:
Click GOLDEN-LION, click "property", Highligh Internet (TCP/IP), click "property",
Then you have two options, one is AUTO IP, the other is using following IP. click Using following IP and Input
Fixed IP address:192.168.1.16
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.1.15
DNS address:192.168.1.15
and click save(s) to close the window(s)
Then you can view it on IE by typing in 192.168.1.15
to set LION as an equipment of your wireless router in order to view via Internet you need to consult your ISP.

DaveW
03-05-2012, 03:28 AM
So has anyone actually got theirs up and running over the internet, not just on their local network???

That other post is from my thread on the Aussie BBQ forums.......... still waiting.

I'm led to believe now that I need to get my ISP involved to get it set up??? Or, maybe (still very unclear), get a degree in wireless networking and tamper with some settings on my modem/router to get it going????

What a waste of time and in no way indicated before purchase :rolleyes:

If anyone manages to work it out I'd be all ears, any help appreciated.

landshark530
03-05-2012, 06:31 PM
you have to get into the wireless settings on your router and add the controller as a user. This may be of some help. It is instructions for connecting a wii game to your router, but will work for any wireless item.

First - Manually assign an IP address to your pid controller.
Manually assign an IP address to your pid controller. Assigning an IP address to your pid controller is easy!

Access the wireless System settings and select Select "Change Settings," and click the right blue arrow twice to reach "Auto-Obtain IP Address."
Click on "No" and select "Advanced Settings."
Now, click in the "IP Address" field to enter an IP address. Look at the brand of your router, and enter the IP address listed below into the field.

Linksys - enter: 192.168.001.140
Netgear - enter: 192.168.001.250
Belkin - enter: 192.168.002.090
D-Link - enter: 192.168.000.190
Apple - enter: 010.000.001.250
2Wire - enter: 192.168.001.250
Actiontec - enter: 192.168.001.250
SMC Networks - enter: 192.168.002.190 Don't see your router brand listed? Click here (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/getOnline/manual.jsp) for help with finding an IP address to enter.

Once the IP address is entered, select "OK."
Select the Subnet Mask box, then enter 255.255.255.0 and select "OK."
Select the Default Router box. You will need to enter the defail gateway address for your router brand. Look at the brand of your router, and enter the gateway address listed below into the field.

Linksys - enter: 192.168.001.001
Netgear - enter: 192.168.001.001
Belkin - enter: 192.168.002.001
D-Link - enter: 192.168.000.001
Apple - enter: 010.000.001.253
2Wire - enter: 192.168.001.254
Actiontec - enter: 192.168.001.001
SMC Networks - enter: 192.168.002.001 Don't see your router brand listed? Click here (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/getOnline/manual.jsp) for help with finding an IP address to enter.

Select "Confirm" but DO NOT select "Save."
Tap the right arrow to reach the page ro "Auto Obtain DNS."
Select "No" and then "Advanced Settings."
Click into the "Primary DNS" field and enter: 008.008.008.008
Click into the "Secondary DNS" field and enter: 008.008.004.004 Please note: These are public DNS's provided by Google and are subject to Google's Terms of Service (http://www.nintendo.com/en/leaving?destination=http://code.google.com/terms.html). If you prefer to not use this service, doing an Internet search for "public DNS" will provide you with several other options you can use.
Select "Confirm," and then "Save."

If your router's ip address is 192.168.0.1 give your pid controller 192.168.0.105 or any number higher than that. the subnet mask and dns servers are all the same.

On SOME routers you can access the menu and tell it to search for a new client and then try to connect your controller and see if the router "sees" it to automatically configure it.

cabledawg007
03-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Here is my review of the controller. I set my temperature at 250, and it was keeping it at that temperature throughout my test on a potato.

urbanredneck
03-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey all- I can probably help out a bit on this one- The instructions that were given are fine for assigning an IP address, but to make it visible to the outside world, you'll also need to have a way to get to your network. An easy way to do this on normal consumer internet stuff is using http://dynamicdns.org

You'll need to sign up for a free account with them, setup a webpage with them, and then you'll need to enter that information into your router.

To do that, you'll log into the router with your user information, and go down to where it says "Dynamic DNS". Depending on the brand that may be under your advanced settings or WAN settings.

Check the box that says "Use a dynamic DNS service" and then drop down dynamicdns.org as your provider. Put in your user name and password for the website and you should be good to go on that part.

Now there is still one other thing you'll have to do to access the BBQ controller from the internet, and that's assign a "Port" to the controller. To do that, go into your "Port Forwarding" section, and select "Add Custom Service" type in the IP address you assigned to the controller, and then for the port number, it usually asks for a range, use something like 8081-8082

After you have done all this, you should be able to go to your webpage that you setup on the dynamic dns's site with the port number and get to your controller. You'll type something like this into your web browser:

http://bbqcontroller.dyndns.org:8081

Then put in your user name and password an you should be all good to go- I've done this once or twice for remote camera's and the like- principle is the same- feel free to post any questions on this thread and I'll try to help out.

:cool:

Forgot- easy way to check if it's working is to go the site from your smartphone since it's outside your home network anyway.

urbanredneck
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh, and I can't WAIT for mine to get here!

Flat_Rate
03-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Waiting on mine as well, have the power supply coming on Tuesday. Couldn't find a good price on a battery.

urbanredneck
03-11-2012, 08:43 AM
I think these battery packs would probably do the trick- comes with the charger and whatnot too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Portable-9800mAh-Li-ion-Super-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-/160741150523?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item256ceb4f3b

This look right?

woodpelletsmoker
03-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I think these battery packs would probably do the trick- comes with the charger and whatnot too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Portable-9800mAh-Li-ion-Super-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-/160741150523?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item256ceb4f3b

This look right?
GOOD enough

charlie263
03-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Price looks good, looks like chinese product, note bad spelling. May be alright.

woodpelletsmoker
03-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Price looks good, looks like chinese product, note bad spelling. May be alright.
Yes this kit is designed and made in China
Pardon my poor English. I am native chinese living in Beijing,China.
I have never been in American

RFehr
03-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Folks,

I just received my WiFi unit a couple days ago. Breif review below to help others get going with this unit and I'll provide more detail later.

- First off, as others have stated the PID parameters are very good - pit temperature control is as good as I've seen Fan quality and volume is very good. The air volume from the fan at 100% is actually far to much for the 'average' backyard pit. Without testing, I suspect this fan would be more than sufficient for a large competition pit. I find that setting the maximum fan speed to 65% is about right for my purposes.

- There are a few really good features to note quickly. First, it will remember exactly where it was in it's cooking program (i.e. what stage, temp, and time) in the event of a power loss. As soon as power was restored, it will begin exactly where it left off - no reprogramming the cooking cycle necessary. The meat probe is very good - and the ability to "hold" a meat temperature after the cooking cycle is a great feature at such a low price point. Last feature to note is manual fan control to bring the pit temperature up to target VERY quickly.

A few details before we begin.

- The fan is surprisingly high volume and the controller does demand a considerable start-up current if the fan is set at the default 100% maximum rate. I would suggest either a 2-3A 12V adapter or a small gel cell battery combined with a smaller battery charge controller. The latter would be preferential for 'critical' cooking as you effectively have battery backup in addition to the battery acting as a 'buffer' to supply the extra current needed when the fan first starts up.

- For those living in one of the last 2 countries on the planet that still think in Fahrenheit (I'm Canadian - so I'm bilingual - C/F - makes no difference to me). Press and hold the Set1 buton for 3 seconds. The display will change from showing the pit current/set value to setup mode. The first setup parameter is F-C - which allows you to change the display from degrees C to degrees F. The default is 0000 which will display temperatures in degrees C. Pressing the + button will change the display to 0001 which display temperatures in degrees F.

- while your in setup mode, you might want to set the max fan speed a bit lower unless you have a very large pit. In setup mode, pressing the Set1 button will move the display to the next setup parameter. The fourth parameter is HdC which is the maximum fan speed expressed as a percentage of max. Default value is 100%, I'd suggest setting this down to 70% as a good starting point.

- More info on the other parameters later.

Now, onto WiFi details:

When the controller starts up for the first time, it will be in AdHoc networking mode. Meaning that it will not attempt to join an existing network but will rather just appear as a standalone device that you can connect to with any WiFi enabled client device (laptop, phone, tablet, etc.). The AdHoc networking mode would be useful if you were traveling with your bbq and your home network was unavailable. You could then easily monitor with just your WiFi enabled phone wherever you were.

However, for a permanent home installation, the initial AdHoc mode is really just to allow you to configure the device to join an existing network.

First off, you should note the IP details that your laptop currently has when connected to your home network. The three parameters your looking for are IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway. Note these somewhere for use later on. For those a bit more network saavy, what we're really looking for is an IP address that is outside of the normal DHCP range of your router that we can later assign to the controller. We'll also need this "open" address to set up port forwarding in the router/firewall if we want to access the controller from the internet.

Next step will be to note the exact name of your wireless network (SSID) and the method used for authentication - i.e. how does your network expect to see the wireless password? I would strongly recommend setting your wireless network to "open" or security/authentication "disabled" temporarily - much easier to start simple and add the security later.

Also, it will be much easier at this stage if you unplug or disable your home network's wireless AP or router.

That's it for preparation. Now we'll need to set the wireless adapter on your client device (laptop, phone, etc.) to a static IP address as follows:

IP: 192.168.1.16
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.15

If you are unfamilliar with how to set a static IP on your device, Google has the answers.

Next, power up the PID controller and on your client device initiate a scan for available wireless networks. You should soon see a new network available called "GOLDEN-LION" that is open (i.e., requires no password).

Connect to this network and use Internet Explorer to connect to http://192.168.1.15:1080. While you can use any browser to configure the wireless portion of the controller, at this point only Internet Explorer has been reliably working for me to see the actual pit temperatures/stages.

Once you've successfully loaded the Wireless Settings page, the first thing you'll want to do is change the name of the controllers wireless network to match that of your home network. If you've followed my recommendation, there will be no password to enter as you've disabled passwords for your home network (temporarily). Save this setting and the controller will restart. If you scan for new wireless networks, and your home network is turned off, then you should see the controller come up using the same name as your home network - but in AdHoc mode.

Connect again to the controller and now you'll be setting it's IP address to a static or fixed value that matches the format for your home network. Set the gateway and subnet mask to the same values as your laptop had when it was on your home network - and make sure you choose an IP for the controller that is unique. Save these settings again, and again the controller will re-boot.

This time, you'll need to change the IP of your laptop to a new static address that matches the format of your home network. I.e., if your home network has an IP address format of 192.168.0.x, and you've just set the controller to 192.168.0.99 because you are sure it's not in use, then you'll need to set your laptop to something like 192.168.0.98. This is just temporary for this last step.

Using Internet Explorer, connect again to the NEW address of the controller on port 1080. In the example above, this would be http://192.168.0.99:1080.

The last step is in the Advanced Settings area where we'll want to set the network mode to "Infra" rather than "AdHoc". This tells the controller to join the existing network that we set up earlier rather than creating it's own. Before you hit save, go back and plug or re-enable your home's wireless network. Save the controllers settings and it should reboot and join your home network!

Before you try to connect to it, you should restore your laptops normal settings - which is likely to have an IP address assigned to it automaticly via DHCP from your router rather than a 'manual' static address that we've been using for setup. Connect your laptop back to your home wireless network and confirm that the controller is online at the address you've set. I prefer confirming by going directly to the wireless settings page on port 1080, but if you wish you can skip this step and go directly to the PID controller page on the 'standard' port 80.

Again, for me the only browser that properly displayed the controller parameters is Internet Explorer - Chrome displayed the static text but did not run the JavaScript properly and would not display temperatures.

In the release of firmware that I have, you can only view temperatures and not actually control anything. I'm sure this is not the intended final feature set - and if someone knows something that I don't, please let me know. I'm trying to get some details on actually CONTROLLING the pit via WiFi from the developer.

If you get to this point successfully, then making the controller visible on the internet is a relatively simple matter of configuring port forwarding on your router. A lesson for another day.

Final Comments:

- Bottom line is that the PID controller and fan end of the product functions remarkable well for the price point. I would buy one again without hesitation.
- However, the WiFi end of the product is very new and needs a lot more polish to make it what I'd really like to see. I'm confident that all these issues can be solved with just a new firmware release and some good documentation - we'll see how quickly this can be achieved.
- if you're not an avid network 'hobbiest' and don't have the patience to wait for some of the WiFi features to get smoothed out, I'd stick with the "tiger" model with the wireless remote.

Save these settings and the controller will restart (actu

RFehr
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
One final note - if you get stuck anywhere in these steps, you can reset the controller to factory default by turning the controller off, press and hold the "<" button while turning the controller on. After several seconds, the display will show "8888" and the controller will beep after which you can release the "<" button.

colonel00
03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the review and tips.

RFehr
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Folks,

My controller is on-line if you want to have a look for yourself.

http://fehr.digitalhomes.ca

Have a look - very simple interface but again, in the version of firmware that I have I can only view and can't control. Also, for me only IE even displays all the values properly. YMMV - let me know if you find any other browser version that works.

I've confirmed with Wang that I should be able to change all settings OTHER THAN the PID parameters via the web interface. If anyone has a browser version that is successful in doing this, please post back here.

I'll try to leave the controller on-line at least until March 18 - at which point it will be put to work smoking some meat!

cinmur
03-18-2012, 08:27 AM
RFehr.
I was wondering if you could help me on the wifi. I did exactly as you instructed. My Ip settings on my laptop connected to our net (dhcp) were as follows: Ip..192.168.1.117.....255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1...I setup the controller with 192.168.120 & the same default gateway of 192.168.1.1....changed adhoc to infra as you instructed.. When finished, I can access the controller with the :1080 into network setting...but when I go to IE, and type in 1092.168.1.120(controller ip), nothing happens. I can ping the controller with no loss. I did notice that I have only one network connection on the laptop...in other words if I turn on the lion controller, nothing changes on the connections...only the one that is connected to internet...so that by looking the wireless network page on laptop, there is no indication of lion on or off.
I have used the lion to smoke with and it works great...just need to get connected.
Thanks for your input.

RFehr
03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
RFehr.
I was wondering if you could help me on the wifi. I did exactly as you instructed. My Ip settings on my laptop connected to our net (dhcp) were as follows: Ip..192.168.1.117.....255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1...I setup the controller with 192.168.120 & the same default gateway of 192.168.1.1....changed adhoc to infra as you instructed.. When finished, I can access the controller with the :1080 into network setting...but when I go to IE, and type in 1092.168.1.120(controller ip), nothing happens. I can ping the controller with no loss. I did notice that I have only one network connection on the laptop...in other words if I turn on the lion controller, nothing changes on the connections...only the one that is connected to internet...so that by looking the wireless network page on laptop, there is no indication of lion on or off.
I have used the lion to smoke with and it works great...just need to get connected.
Thanks for your input.

Couple things:

The lack of "GOLDON-LION" appearing as an adhoc network in your wireless network search indicates sucess in setting a new SSID and having the controller join your home "infrastructure". This is good.

Obviously being able to ping your controller is a very good thing.

Being able to browse to http://192.168.1.120:1080 confirms that the controller's internal web server is online.

On the version of firmware that I have (the wrong version), there is an error in the page. Result is that ONLY Internet Explorer (preferably an older version) will load the page. Firefox just spins for a while an gives up. Chrome loads the table, but will not run the JavaScript to load the real-time temperature data into the table. Same with Safari. However, my iPhone actually loads the page OK.

If you've tried a bunch of browsers, then one more question: Could you access the temperature settings page (http://192.168.1.15) when you were just connected to your controller in adhoc networking mode? If you didn't try, I'd back up - reset the controller to factory defaults and start over - one you can get to the wireless settings page, verify that you can also load the controller's temperature page at the same address.

RFehr
03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Bizzarely restrictive board policy - I replied to cinmur's question but apparently I'm not allowed to post a quoted reply until a moderator has reviewed even though I've already been posting in this thread. I get restrictions - but ????

Anyway, I guess my answers will be approved in due course.

A bit of a personal update. There is no question that I have a disfunctional version (old perhaps) of controller firmware. I've scraped the html that the controller is posting and there are a few errors - including no proper checks on how parts of the JavaScript should be executed based on what browser you're using.

Biggest problem for me is that THERE IS NO "TEMPERATURE SETTINGS" LINK. Not in the page that loads, not in the code, not in the JavaScript, simply not there. I can view temperatures - but not set anything.

If you look at the screen shots on Wang's website, they are much different than the ones you will see if you connect to my controller (link above). I'm working with Wang to try to get a new firmware file to flash onto the controller but if this can't be done, the unit is going back. As all have said, the PID controller and fan works great. But I bought it for it's ability to be CONTROLLED via WiFi.

Hopefully Wang can get this addressed quickly.

Randy

colonel00
03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Bizzarely restrictive board policy - I replied to cinmur's question but apparently I'm not allowed to post a quoted reply until a moderator has reviewed even though I've already been posting in this thread. I get restrictions - but ????

Just a guess but I believe it is due to the fact that you are a new member. Probably an anti-spam measure to keep entities from joining the forum and spamming or being abusive.

cinmur
03-18-2012, 08:44 PM
That is interesting..as I was connected a couple of week ago by using 192.168.1.15...I was running windows 7 with older IE version...reformated, reinstalled win 7 & IE9...now I cannot access the temp settings.
Thanks for your input,
Murray

Flat_Rate
03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Mine should be here tomorrow, not gonna be happy after waiting 4 weeks if I can't change temp settings via WiFi, and set it up easily. Guess we will see.

BBQchef33
03-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Randy

Sorry Randy, there was a rouge/wrong setting attached to this particular forum. I corrected it.

woodpelletsmoker
03-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Dear RFehr,
What you get is second generation.
Third generation can change temperature
Fourth generation will be ready soon and it has graphing of time-voltage-temperature

RFehr
03-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Folks,

As woodpelletsmoker has said, there are 2 versions of the "LION" controller in circulation (and one more forthcoming).

If you're controllers web interface looks like the attached - i.e. no "temperature settings" link - then you have generation 2.

If you have a web interface that looks like the pictures here (http://www.allchinas.com/probe/wifi.htm), then you have generation 3.

There are hardware differences between generation 2 and 3 and the firmware cannot be upgraded to gain temperature control. Hence my controller is of no use to me for my intended (remote CONTROL) purposes.

To my knowledge, the WiFi module is the same and my mini-tutorial above should be equally valid for both circulating versions of the hardware.

Woodpelletsmoker (Wang) has offered to send me a version 4 controller (with time/temp graphing) when they are available. I have in turn offered to help with perhaps a better English translation of the web interface and an English users manual. I've also recommended that the firmware/ROM really should be field upgradable so that the web interface and features can be changed based on customer feedback.

Again, I am extremely happy with the PID performance - I've used the controller a few times now and getting my pit up to temperature using manual control is as fast as anything I've tried. One at temperature, the stability and control is fantastic. This is a 'young' product - intended consumer is a 'tinkerer' - which is EXACTLY what everyone on this board seems to be. So far, WoodPelletSmoker has scored high on BBQ performance and high on customer service - but there are product 'consistency' problems which he's trying to correct. A bit of patience and for me, I think this controller will be exactly what I was looking for at a very good price.

cinmur
03-19-2012, 10:21 PM
you have to get into the wireless settings on your router and add the controller as a user. This may be of some help. It is instructions for connecting a wii game to your router, but will work for any wireless item.

First - Manually assign an IP address to your pid controller.
Manually assign an IP address to your pid controller. Assigning an IP address to your pid controller is easy!

Access the wireless System settings and select Select "Change Settings," and click the right blue arrow twice to reach "Auto-Obtain IP Address."
Click on "No" and select "Advanced Settings."
Now, click in the "IP Address" field to enter an IP address. Look at the brand of your router, and enter the IP address listed below into the field.

Linksys - enter: 192.168.001.140
Netgear - enter: 192.168.001.250
Belkin - enter: 192.168.002.090
D-Link - enter: 192.168.000.190
Apple - enter: 010.000.001.250
2Wire - enter: 192.168.001.250
Actiontec - enter: 192.168.001.250
SMC Networks - enter: 192.168.002.190 Don't see your router brand listed? Click here (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/getOnline/manual.jsp) for help with finding an IP address to enter.

Once the IP address is entered, select "OK."
Select the Subnet Mask box, then enter 255.255.255.0 and select "OK."
Select the Default Router box. You will need to enter the defail gateway address for your router brand. Look at the brand of your router, and enter the gateway address listed below into the field.

Linksys - enter: 192.168.001.001
Netgear - enter: 192.168.001.001
Belkin - enter: 192.168.002.001
D-Link - enter: 192.168.000.001
Apple - enter: 010.000.001.253
2Wire - enter: 192.168.001.254
Actiontec - enter: 192.168.001.001
SMC Networks - enter: 192.168.002.001 Don't see your router brand listed? Click here (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/getOnline/manual.jsp) for help with finding an IP address to enter.

Select "Confirm" but DO NOT select "Save."
Tap the right arrow to reach the page ro "Auto Obtain DNS."
Select "No" and then "Advanced Settings."
Click into the "Primary DNS" field and enter: 008.008.008.008
Click into the "Secondary DNS" field and enter: 008.008.004.004 Please note: These are public DNS's provided by Google and are subject to Google's Terms of Service (http://www.nintendo.com/en/leaving?destination=http://code.google.com/terms.html). If you prefer to not use this service, doing an Internet search for "public DNS" will provide you with several other options you can use.
Select "Confirm," and then "Save."

If your router's ip address is 192.168.0.1 give your pid controller 192.168.0.105 or any number higher than that. the subnet mask and dns servers are all the same.

On SOME routers you can access the menu and tell it to search for a new client and then try to connect your controller and see if the router "sees" it to automatically configure it.
Landshark530: I am trying to hookup lion wifi with no luck..I can ping it, have changed the ip address...I can access the network setting by :1080, when I type in ip address on network, nothing happens...running windowns7 with Ie9. Am confused on the ip addresses you have listed for the different routers..do I put those values in on the cisco running I am running? Appreciate any input you have..the unit works great, but cannot get wifi to work on our network.

landshark530
03-21-2012, 10:28 PM
the ip addresses listed are to access the admin menu of your router to assign static ip's, along with other permissions for equipment that you want to give access to.

I don't have a wifi pid controller so I have not had to program one. There was petty good information on page 2 of this thread.

You might need to dmz the ip address that you assign to your router, this will allow all traffic and circimvent any firewalls on the router, which may also be an issue with windows 7.
You can turn off the windows firewall on windows 7 and see if that helps, as that firewall will block almost anything trying to connect to your computer.

I hope this helps.

RFehr
03-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Landshark530: I am trying to hookup lion wifi with no luck..I can ping it, have changed the ip address...I can access the network setting by :1080, when I type in ip address on network, nothing happens...running windowns7 with Ie9. Am confused on the ip addresses you have listed for the different routers..do I put those values in on the cisco running I am running? Appreciate any input you have..the unit works great, but cannot get wifi to work on our network.

This has nothing to with your router. If you can ping the controller and open the wireless settings page on port 1080 but not the controllers page on port 80 then it is almost certainly an issue with the controller and/or your browser.

Have you tried a different browser? Preferably an iOS safari or an older version of IE? These are the only two versions that work for me.

cinmur
03-22-2012, 04:36 PM
This has nothing to with your router. If you can ping the controller and open the wireless settings page on port 1080 but not the controllers page on port 80 then it is almost certainly an issue with the controller and/or your browser.

Have you tried a different browser? Preferably an iOS safari or an older version of IE? These are the only two versions that work for me.
FYI
Met with a IT specialist about connecting to wifi..connected, but could not access the 1st page with temp setting & link to network setting...when we try to connect... it goes to network setting with no problems....He felt it was a corrupted file and need to reintall the firmware. Like I have said, this unit works great on controlling the smoker, just need to get a better handle on the wifi.
Thanks for all you input and ideas,

Triple T BBQ
03-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Dear RFehr,
What you get is second generation.
Third generation can change temperature
Fourth generation will be ready soon and it has graphing of time-voltage-temperature

Wang,

How about for us early adopters that have been trying to get your wifi working, we get shipped a later firmware or an updated logic board? Happy to send you the old one back. Love the pid controller but the extra cash I paid for the wireless portion that doesn't work is rather frustrating. Help a brethren out here. Thanks! Again, love the controller except for the wifi.

woodpelletsmoker
03-23-2012, 01:53 AM
1.you can send back and I will send you latest model o LION
2.You can keep it as model of Tiger without display set, but view via your computer or iPhone. and I can sell you latest model of LION at $80+20 SAL=$100

cinmur
03-23-2012, 07:48 AM
2.You can keep it as model of Tiger without display set, but view via your computer or iPhone. and I can sell you latest model of LION at $80+20 SAL=$100

I trust that the new version will have a enhanced and improved wifi system. It does not good to have all the improvements..logging, etc.. if we are still plagued with the connection problem with the wifi. That appears to be the #1 issue.

Triple T BBQ
03-23-2012, 08:12 AM

Given all the work I have put into this thing already, how about I pay the shipping and you just send me a working version 4.0 of the lion?

RFehr
03-23-2012, 08:15 AM
FYI
....He felt it was a corrupted file and need to reintall the firmware.
Thanks for all you input and ideas,

It's actually the JavaScript used to display the page. It contains a somewhat old/improper means of detecting the browser platform. Each browser/version will react a bit differently. In my experience:

Old IE will load the page more or less fine (see pic's above).
New/Current IE will just sit and constantly try to load the screen. Result is just a blank white page - no error, just no content at all.
Current firefox will load the static HTML (the table and link to wireless settings), but not the 'data' that the javascript fills into the table. It will then post an error indicating the page is corrupt.
Chrome - more or less the same as Firefox, but it does not post the errror message.
Desktop Safari - sometimes loads the pages 'code' (i.e. does not interpret it as valid HTML). Then posts an error.
iOS Safari - loads the page more or less fine.

cinmur
03-23-2012, 11:41 AM
It's actually the JavaScript used to display the page. It contains a somewhat old/improper means of detecting the browser platform. Each browser/version will react a bit differently. In my experience:

Old IE will load the page more or less fine (see pic's above).
New/Current IE will just sit and constantly try to load the screen. Result is just a blank white page - no error, just no content at all.
Current firefox will load the static HTML (the table and link to wireless settings), but not the 'data' that the javascript fills into the table. It will then post an error indicating the page is corrupt.
Chrome - more or less the same as Firefox, but it does not post the errror message.
Desktop Safari - sometimes loads the pages 'code' (i.e. does not interpret it as valid HTML). Then posts an error.
iOS Safari - loads the page more or less fine.

So what version of IE are you using. I Think I am using 8, which does not work.

woodpelletsmoker
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
first edition has problem to connect by WIFI in some browsers.
Second edition can display temperature, but can not change.
Third edition is OK
Forthcoming 4th edition will have graphing of time-temperature-voltage
Offer for buyers for first and second edition:
1.Refund you US$59. You simply use it as WOLF
2.or you can buy 4th edition of LION at US$100 totally
3.or send back and I send you 4th edition of LION
or what is your plan.

DaveW
03-27-2012, 05:12 AM
I'm sorry, I think everyone seems to be glossing over the problem that this device is not fit for purpose as described.

I believe I have the '3rd' version yet still cannot set it up for control over the internet.

YES, it works well as a temp controller.

YES, I can access and change settings via local WiFi.

NO, I CANNOT control it over the internet.

Barring all the advice above (which is GREATLY appreciated - MUCH more that ANY advice offered by the builder/seller of the unit) I'm not sure how much more time I want to invest trying to get this thing working.

Offering to refund if I send it back is a joke - I still need to post it at my expense and the quote I got was $30-$40.

My real question - Has ANYBODY actually got this thing controllable over the internet?

I keep hearing about HOW to do it, but not from anyone who has.

Mr. Wang is on other websites expressing how happy U.S. owners are with the unit, yet I still can't find anyone who's connected it.

I honestly would not be advising anyone to buy this thing if they are under the impression they will be able to get it connected :sad:

cinmur
03-27-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm sorry, I think everyone seems to be glossing over the problem that this device is not fit for purpose as described.

I believe I have the '3rd' version yet still cannot set it up for control over the internet.

Barring all the advice above (which is GREATLY appreciated - MUCH more that ANY advice offered by the builder/seller of the unit) I'm not sure how much more time I want to invest trying to get this thing working.

Offering to refund if I send it back is a joke - I still need to post it at my expense and the quote I got was $30-$40.

My real question - Has ANYBODY actually got this thing controllable over the internet?

Mr. Wang is on other websites expressing how happy U.S. owners are with the unit, yet I still can't find anyone who's connected it.

I honestly would not be advising anyone to buy this thing if they are under the impression they will be able to get it connected :sad:

You are farther ahead of me...I cannot even get it connected to a computer or network..but if I could, I would use remote access such as team viewer that I could access computer on net and controll the other computer, thus being able to controll the controller...but I am not am close to be able to view it on a computer. I have a version 3, and not sure if I want version 4, if i am going to be plagued by the same old story. If I dealt with a U.S. company, I could at least call for some help!! I agree that units works fine...but the wifi capabilities are questionable!!!

RFehr
03-27-2012, 09:56 AM

If you have a version 2 controller (as I do) then I agree completely - it is advertised as having CONTROL via WiFi, and it does not. No one could argue.

Not having control of history, I think WPS is doing what he should - refund the difference in cost between the Lion (WiFi model) and Wolf (non-WiFi model). This is reasonable - as the PID controller works quite well 'stand-alone'. If, like me, you purchased the unit SOLELY for remote control ability, WPS is offering to replace the unit when v4 is available. I think it would be more appropriate if WPS replaced the unit at zero cost (i.e. he pays return shipping) - but I do understand that this is more of a hobby for WPS than a business - and frankly, I knew the risks going in. The cost of the controller was low enough for me to assume some of the risk. Not perfect, but so far I'm not complaining.

If you can change temperature/time settings via local WiFi, then you certainly have a v3 controller. If you've followed my instructions above and have the controller in infrastructure mode on your home WiFi network, then the product is working perfectly and exactly as it should. Providing access to the controller from the internet is firewall/security issue that has little to do with the controller itself. What you're REALLY rightfully complaining about is the complete absence of any documentation or manual in how to do... well... ANYTHING with the controller. This is a serious problem that a couple people here have offered to help with - that is, if I had a current model controller.

However, YOUR controller is working exactly as it should - it is simply a firewall/router configuration matter. Even with a real users manual, instructions to properly configure your router would be very general. It would be next to impossible to provide a step-by-step guide for every possible home firewall.

Yes. It took me perhaps an hour to get my controller set up on my home WiFi network and set up access from the internet - should have taken 15 minutes if I had some documentation. I've posted a link above to my v2 controller "live" on the internet for people to look at. I've had almost 200 hits so far - so I know people are looking at it. It's online 24/7 - have a look for yourself if you wish.

One of the reasons that I can simply leave it up "live" to the internet is because it's a v2 controller and has no CONTROL - hence I don't have to worry about people screwing with my settings. Great feature ;-)

I have my own greedy interests at heart - I want a low cost PID controller that I can monitor and control over the internet. WPS's Lion product is the closest thing I've found yet. It's 90% exactly what I want - and I need WPS to continue for the last 10%.

So... two offers for you:

if you tell me the make/model of your home router/firewall, and the IP address of your Lion, I'll give you exact instructions on how to get it on the internet.
if you're fed up - I get it. I'll buy your controller from you FOB your door. Send me a PM, I'll give you my address and paypal you what you paid plus shipping to me in the great white north (btw, this is not an open offer to everyone - I just happen to need a working v3 controller and WPS does not have a timeframe for availability of v4).

RFehr
03-27-2012, 10:32 AM
You are farther ahead of me...I cannot even get it connected to a computer or network..but if I could, I would use remote access such as team viewer that I could access computer on net and controll the other computer, thus being able to controll the controller...but I am not am close to be able to view it on a computer. I have a version 3, and not sure if I want version 4, if i am going to be plagued by the same old story. If I dealt with a U.S. company, I could at least call for some help!! I agree that units works fine...but the wifi capabilities are questionable!!!

Since you can access the wireless settings page on your local network, and the GOLDON-LION adhoc network no longer is visible, then you have successfully configured the device on your local network. Unfortunately, browser compatibility is poor - which I suspect is your issue.

For me, iPhone/iPod/iPad loads the controller page fine on my v2 controller as does IE 6. I'm told that Chrome works with v3 - but I have no experience personally.

If you have access to an iOS device, that's the easiest route. Otherwise, there are old versions of IE available to download.

Not perfect I know - I just wish I had a v3 controller that actually had CONTROL. iPhone access is what I would be primarily doing anyway - I really don't care about access from a computer.

Once you confirm that you can view the controller's web interface on your LAN, I'm happy to help with your router/firewall settings to get it on the internet.

Same offer to you as DaveW - first person that does not want their working v3 controller, PM me and I'm happy to take it off your hands.

cinmur
03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I am thinking about changing the operating system of laptop to xp, then go to IE 6 or 7 and see what happens...don't think I can ran ie 7 on windows7.
Thanks

RFehr
03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
I am thinking about changing the operating system of laptop to xp, then go to IE 6 or 7 and see what happens...don't think I can ran ie 7 on windows7.
Thanks

Well, i'm not sure if you can install IE6 along side IE9 in Win7 - but it might be worth a try. You can get IE6 here (http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php?old_internet_explorer=11).

Also, give Chrome a try. I've been told the v3 controller works fine with Chrome. On v2, Chrome will load the static html but no data (see pic below).

I always keep a VM of all sorts of old OS's around. You might want to try finding a VM of something like TinyXP or any old XP VM - would be much faster than re-installing XP from scratch.

In reality, the product really needs to have it's web interface fixed such that it's compatible with all current browsers - no question about it. But if I had a CONTROLABLE v3 product that worked with iOS Safari, I'd be a happy camper.

cinmur
03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your help...I installed chrome and did the following:
..disconnected Internet router
..using laptop with wifi
...changed ip on laptop to 192.168.1.16...gateway of 192.168.1.15
...golden lion is visible
...192.168.1.15:1080...goes to golden lion network settings
...192.168.1.15....times out...no response
..can ping the lion with no loss
..firewall off on laptop
...question is it the browser or is the controller?
....going to try older IE....don't have a lot of faith that will work either.
Thanks again for help

DaveW
03-28-2012, 04:29 AM
If you have a version 2 controller (as I do) then I agree completely - it is advertised as having CONTROL via WiFi, and it does not. No one could argue.

Not having control of history, I think WPS is doing what he should - refund the difference in cost between the Lion (WiFi model) and Wolf (non-WiFi model). This is reasonable - as the PID controller works quite well 'stand-alone'. If, like me, you purchased the unit SOLELY for remote control ability, WPS is offering to replace the unit when v4 is available. I think it would be more appropriate if WPS replaced the unit at zero cost (i.e. he pays return shipping) - but I do understand that this is more of a hobby for WPS than a business - and frankly, I knew the risks going in. The cost of the controller was low enough for me to assume some of the risk. Not perfect, but so far I'm not complaining.

If you can change temperature/time settings via local WiFi, then you certainly have a v3 controller. If you've followed my instructions above and have the controller in infrastructure mode on your home WiFi network, then the product is working perfectly and exactly as it should. Providing access to the controller from the internet is firewall/security issue that has little to do with the controller itself. What you're REALLY rightfully complaining about is the complete absence of any documentation or manual in how to do... well... ANYTHING with the controller. This is a serious problem that a couple people here have offered to help with - that is, if I had a current model controller.

However, YOUR controller is working exactly as it should - it is simply a firewall/router configuration matter. Even with a real users manual, instructions to properly configure your router would be very general. It would be next to impossible to provide a step-by-step guide for every possible home firewall.

Yes. It took me perhaps an hour to get my controller set up on my home WiFi network and set up access from the internet - should have taken 15 minutes if I had some documentation. I've posted a link above to my v2 controller "live" on the internet for people to look at. I've had almost 200 hits so far - so I know people are looking at it. It's online 24/7 - have a look for yourself if you wish.

One of the reasons that I can simply leave it up "live" to the internet is because it's a v2 controller and has no CONTROL - hence I don't have to worry about people screwing with my settings. Great feature ;-)

I have my own greedy interests at heart - I want a low cost PID controller that I can monitor and control over the internet. WPS's Lion product is the closest thing I've found yet. It's 90% exactly what I want - and I need WPS to continue for the last 10%.

So... two offers for you:

if you tell me the make/model of your home router/firewall, and the IP address of your Lion, I'll give you exact instructions on how to get it on the internet.
if you're fed up - I get it. I'll buy your controller from you FOB your door. Send me a PM, I'll give you my address and paypal you what you paid plus shipping to me in the great white north (btw, this is not an open offer to everyone - I just happen to need a working v3 controller and WPS does not have a timeframe for availability of v4).

I appreciate the offer but please see my response below. Irrelevent of what is being assumed SHOULD work with the V3, no-one has done it yet. YOU do not have a unit that can be controlled over the internet and you are assuming that the next version will be, and probably rightly so, but to claim it will be sight unseen is just plain wrong.

Here's what I replied to Mr. Wang on the Aussie BBQ forum:

Mr Wang, I am starting to believe you are totally missing my point so I will make it as simple as I can:
NO-ONE has your product set up to be CONTROLLED over the Internet.
I'm getting sick of making this point. Please prove me wrong.

How about I quote myself and see if you undertand Mr. Wang.
Im not saying that the unit CANNOT be controlled over the internet, I am saying that I can't get it to work and that as far as I can tell, and am still waiting to be proved wrong, NO-ONE has any of your units being controlled in any way over the internet.
You keep saying it can be controlled over the internet, yet there is no proof at all - A viewable website means nothing.
It is highly likely that I am doing something wrong, but I seriously should not need to have invested the time I have to get it going.
At the end of the day, I have modified the fan to fit my Kamado, it controls the temperature as described,I can control it via local WiFi, with the POSSIBILITY of it being controlled via the internet, if I can work it all out and spend enough time doing it. I'll keep it thanks.

Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

landshark530
03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Maybe it should be advertised as controllable via your intranet, and not the internet. But if you can control it via your computer, then you could use one of the many remote desktop apps or software to control your computer via the "internet", thereby controlling your bbq controller, via the "internet".

I'm not sure if the was the original meaning in the beginning, or not. Had AL Gore been thinking about backyard bbq smoking ethusiests when he created the internet in his basement we wouldn't be having these issues.

I can't speak to the usefulness of the wifi model or remote access, as I have the basic model.

I CAN speak to its' continued success in my back yard.
I had an all day cook on Saturbay, brisket, pork butt, and country style ribs. This meant opening the smoker several times to spritz, foils, cover, etc etc.
Just as I use the manual operation and fan settings to initially start the smoker, I used the same operation to bring my smoker back up to temp after opening and closing the smoker.
Using this method I was able to bring my smoker back up to temp in about 5 minutes or less, and then put it back on auto once it reached temp. And if you run the fan on high, she really gets to temp in a hurry.
My only regret is not buying the wireless remote option. Other than that, mine has been outstanding.

ChrisH
03-31-2012, 02:13 PM
I emailed Mr Wang the other day to see about placing an order. Apparently the only WiFi version available for shipping is the Version 2, which displays data but cannot be controlled. The reported working V3 is unavailable and V4 which claims to have a data logging feature is approximately 4 weeks out, and also will be more expensive ($188 I believe for the controller alone, plus the fan, the flange etc).

I am personally more interested in the Wireless remote version, as it is very unlikely I will ever be smoking whilst at work etc. Unfortunately Mr Wang informed me that he will only sell the Tiger (wireless) in 100 piece lots. Is wondering if there was any interest in getting a group buy together. I'll probably take 2, possibly 3 if the price is right.

Just thought I'd provide an update for those interested.

Chris

woodpelletsmoker
03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
I emailed Mr Wang the other day to see about placing an order. Apparently the only WiFi version available for shipping is the Version 2, which displays data but cannot be controlled. The reported working V3 is unavailable and V4 which claims to have a data logging feature is approximately 4 weeks out, and also will be more expensive ($188 I believe for the controller alone, plus the fan, the flange etc).

I am personally more interested in the Wireless remote version, as it is very unlikely I will ever be smoking whilst at work etc. Unfortunately Mr Wang informed me that he will only sell the Tiger (wireless) in 100 piece lots. Is wondering if there was any interest in getting a group buy together. I'll probably take 2, possibly 3 if the price is right.

Chris

Main problem is plastic case of display set.
Usually the manufacturers accept an order at least 1000 pieces.
One manufacturer agrees to make 100 pieces for me, but at double price.
So minimum order of Tiger is 100 pieces.
Price of 100 pieces of Tiger is US$118

woodpelletsmoker
03-31-2012, 06:21 PM

Chris
4 pieces of LION Version 1 and 2 are available.
You can use both as wireless remote control as TIGER, but you need to use your iPhone, iPad, Computer as display set.

Triple T BBQ
03-31-2012, 07:49 PM
I would still like a working version 4 logic board shipped out as soon as one is availble please. I think this is the least you could do for an early adopter. I can swap the logic board over myself. If you want the version 2 board back, I have no problem with that. I paid 168 bucks for this thing plus shipping and would like it to function as advertised is all. Thanks.

ChrisH
03-31-2012, 08:50 PM
4 pieces of LION Version 1 and 2 are available.
You can use both as wireless remote control as TIGER, but you need to use your iPhone, iPad, Computer as display set.

As I understand it, Lion V1 does not work at all, and V2 only displays data, but cannot control the unit. Correct?

Triple T BBQ
04-02-2012, 01:59 PM
So wang, how about shipping a couple V4 logic boards when they are ready in May to the US and closing out the current issues for your Version 1.0/ 2.0/3.0 (beta/early adopter) customers?

Currently my V2.0 board is stuck in infrastructure mode with no way to seem to get it to reset. The reset function seems to clear the NVRAM settings on the pid controller section for the other variables but the network side stays firmly stuck in infrastructure mode and not visable or are we able to connect. Basically at this point its a non remote based pid controller for $168.00 plus $30 bucks shipping.

Not what I ordered or was described I am sure most will agree. I was not worried about controlling it over the network but I did want to be able to monitor it while at competitions.

ChrisH - you are correct. Version 1 is basically non functional with respect to wireless and Version 2.0 only displays data and works with a very small subset of available browsers and there is no way to control the unit via the wireless side.

Not sure about it if you got a Tiger unit with the remote included. One customer seems to have his working in that mode. The rest of us who are early adopters of the Lion and wanted the wireless functionality believed what we saw on his website and screen shots. unfortunately we have had limited success in getting them to work with the various browsers and networks.

If this cannot be resolved then I would propose a restriction of advertising and selling additional units here until WPS is able to offer an acceptable solution to his existing customers. It's the right thing to do. Can I get a MODs point of view here on all this?

woodpelletsmoker
04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
please wait till ready of LION version #4.
Considering shipping cost, I prefer to refund buyers of #1 an #2 versions of 168-99=US$69.
Then you just use the function of WOLF.

MilitantSquatter
04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
If this cannot be resolved then I would propose a restriction of advertising and selling additional units here until WPS is able to offer an acceptable solution to his existing customers. It's the right thing to do. Can I get a MODs point of view here on all this?

Moderator Note : The business dealings are between buyer & seller.. We provide a forum to promote the product which in turn supports the forum costs... but in no way, is it an endorsement of the seller's product or business practice. The product/service must stand on it's own merits. The venture forum is only moderated on content to the point that a buyer can voice their concerns to the seller as long as it meets all general established forum rules.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117899

BBQchef33
04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Moderator Note : The business dealings are between buyer & seller.. We provide a forum to promote the product which in turn supports the forum costs... but in no way, is it an endorsement of the seller's product or business practice. The product/service must stand on it's own merits. The venture forum is only moderated on content to the point that a buyer can voice their concerns to the seller as long as it meets all general established forum rules.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117899

Admin Note:
Vinny nailed it.. and I will add, as stated previously, these forums are in no way endorsments and are here for members and vendors to discuss products openly. Theres no reason for us to restrict or "sanction" anyone, when the threads and posts will allow members to make their OWN informed decisions.

BBQchef33
04-03-2012, 10:17 AM
please wait till ready of LION version #4.
Considering shipping cost, I prefer to refund buyers of #1 an #2 versions of 168-99=US$69.
Then you just use the function of WOLF.

if its just the matter of the logic boards, would it save shipping if you shipped all of them in one box here, and we will get it distributed to the members.

woodpelletsmoker
04-03-2012, 01:04 PM
if its just the matter of the logic boards, would it save shipping if you shipped all of them in one box here, and we will get it distributed to the members.
But your suggestion is great. I do need distributors

ChrisH
04-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Mr Wang,

Do you have an update on when the V4 Lion will be ready?

Thanks

woodpelletsmoker
04-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Mr Wang,

Do you have an update on when the V4 Lion will be ready?

Thanks

in about 3 weeks

ChrisH
04-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Cool, thanks.

BTW what PID do you use in your design?

Thanks

borzwazie
04-08-2012, 02:54 PM
I appreciate the offer but please see my response below. Irrelevent of what is being assumed SHOULD work with the V3, no-one has done it yet. YOU do not have a unit that can be controlled over the internet and you are assuming that the next version will be, and probably rightly so, but to claim it will be sight unseen is just plain wrong.

Here's what I replied to Mr. Wang on the Aussie BBQ forum:

How about I quote myself and see if you undertand Mr. Wang.
Im not saying that the unit CANNOT be controlled over the internet, I am saying that I can't get it to work and that as far as I can tell, and am still waiting to be proved wrong, NO-ONE has any of your units being controlled in any way over the internet.
You keep saying it can be controlled over the internet, yet there is no proof at all - A viewable website means nothing.
It is highly likely that I am doing something wrong, but I seriously should not need to have invested the time I have to get it going.
At the end of the day, I have modified the fan to fit my Kamado, it controls the temperature as described,I can control it via local WiFi, with the POSSIBILITY of it being controlled via the internet, if I can work it all out and spend enough time doing it. I'll keep it thanks.

Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

DaveW:

I'm an IT guy. While I can understand your frustration, it's hard to know every customer configuration. Please note I do not have one of these units, although I'm thinking about getting one.

Dave, what I suggest you need to do here is set up something called "port forwarding" on your DSL or cable modem router. What this means is that you set up a "port" number to talk to from the outside world, and when you "talk" on this port, it forwards traffic to your temp controller.

You will need to know what IP address your internet provider has assigned to you. To get that IP, go to a site like http://whatismyip.com and you'll see the IP address you should open a web browser to. For our example, let's say that IP address is 10.15.2.1.

You'll need to set up a forwarding port on your DSL or cable modem that points at the ip address of your temp controller. For example: if you assigned that IP as 192.168.1.15, and you know the port on the controller is 1080, then you'll set up a port forward in your router to 192.168.1.15:1080, triggered by a hit on the IP you got from whatismyip.com. You will need to assign an external port number. I recommend something like 20480 or another number like that but below 64000. You'll then access the controller over the internet with our example IP like this:

http://10.15.2.1:20480

I hope this helps. If it does, I take donations of temp controllers :mrgreen:

woodpelletsmoker
04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
DaveW:
although I'm thinking about getting one.
Please check controller's IP 222.129.32.124:12080
Hope it can attract you

cinmur
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
DaveW:

I'm an IT guy. While I can understand your frustration, it's hard to know every customer configuration. Please note I do not have one of these units, although I'm thinking about getting one.

Dave, what I suggest you need to do here is set up something called "port forwarding" on your DSL or cable modem router. What this means is that you set up a "port" number to talk to from the outside world, and when you "talk" on this port, it forwards traffic to your temp controller.

You will need to know what IP address your internet provider has assigned to you. To get that IP, go to a site like http://whatismyip.com and you'll see the IP address you should open a web browser to. For our example, let's say that IP address is 10.15.2.1.

You'll need to set up a forwarding port on your DSL or cable modem that points at the ip address of your temp controller. For example: if you assigned that IP as 192.168.1.15, and you know the port on the controller is 1080, then you'll set up a port forward in your router to 192.168.1.15:1080, triggered by a hit on the IP you got from whatismyip.com. You will need to assign an external port number. I recommend something like 20480 or another number like that but below 64000. You'll then access the controller over the internet with our example IP like this:

http://10.15.2.1:20480

I hope this helps. If it does, I take donations of temp controllers :mrgreen:
I have a lion controller....works great except wifi. I can access the network settings by going to ip address plus. 1080...I am unable to open the page with the temp values by entering ip address. I have different browers with no luck. The main question is this a controller issue or a computer issue..I can ping with no loss...but cannot open page.
appreciate your thoughts

woodpelletsmoker
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Today's IP 222.129.48.123:12080
This is version #3.
V1 and V2 can display meat and pit temperature, but can not change values.
I need to refund $69 to buyers of V1 and V2

Flat_Rate
04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Finally had time to mess with mine, internet doesn't work and I am not gonna spend anymore time trying to get it up and running.

The manual mode works fantastic, although I can't seem to get the automatic part of it working, I set everything up right ( I think ) but after I get it up to temp and switch it to Auto it doesn't do anything, just lets the temp drop.

colonel00
04-14-2012, 02:13 PM
How long are you letting it run in Auto mode? How many "sets" are you programming and for what durations? I found that I usually just us the first set and keep it at a constant temp. I set the target temps of all the other sets and the meat temp set to 0. If you are at your target temp when you switch to Auto, it might drop a bit before it starts to kick in. It is essentially learning and takes a little time to hone in on the target.

Flat_Rate
04-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I am just using the first set, have target temp at 300, high temp alarm at 320, low at 285.

I switched it over to Auto when the pit temp hit 300, checked it 15 minutes later and the alarm was going off, pit temp was 235.

EDIT: ok, so I switched the meat temps all to 0 like colonel00 suggested and its working fine, really needs be a more comprehensive manual.

I wouldn't have any issue buying another controller from WPS, just not one with the wireless option. The remote option is better but he no longer sells them, waiting on my refund from WPS, I might just use it for another standard controller.

colonel00
04-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Interesting. Glad you got it working. What is odd is having the other sets set or not should not matter really. However, I do wonder if you had the duration set correctly. Either way, glad it is working for you. I have the Tiger version with the remote and honestly, I don't even use it that much. Granted, if it was the middle of summer or winter, I might be more hesitant to step outside but I haven't even used it but one or two times. Now, if I was doing an overnight cook, it would be quite handy to be able to check stuff from bed.

woodpelletsmoker
04-14-2012, 07:22 PM
waiting on my refund from WPS, I might just use it for another standard controller.
According to my sales record, I sent you Version 3.
Before I refund you, please send me photos of the controller to eBay@allchinas.com. I can confirm Version by connectors/sockets/adapters

I am using Windows and I.E. browser.
There is a wireless ICON on right lower corner, click it, you will find window of "wireless connection", click "advacned setting", you will find a new window, Highlight "TCP/IP", click "property", Select"using following IP address"
input 192.168.1.14, 255.255.255.0, and 192.168.1.15, click "save", and "save" to close both windows. In I.E. just type in 192.168.1.15
If you find two links , one for wireless setting, the other for temperature/time/alarm settings, you are using Version 3.
If you find only one link for wireless setting, you are using Version 1 and 2.
If Version 1 and 2, I will refund you $69.

I am using a Chinese version WINDOWS and IE, above "terms" may not be exactly as your browser. But I am sure you can understand.

woodpelletsmoker
04-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Interesting. Glad you got it working. What is odd is having the other sets set or not should not matter really. However, I do wonder if you had the duration set correctly. Either way, glad it is working for you. I have the Tiger version with the remote and honestly, I don't even use it that much. Granted, if it was the middle of summer or winter, I might be more hesitant to step outside but I haven't even used it but one or two times. Now, if I was doing an overnight cook, it would be quite handy to be able to check stuff from bed.
If you using vertical cabinet insulated smoker like Vikiing, Backwoods, Stumps, I think that you can smoke all year round regardless of rain,snow,wind.
I have a clone. Controller is powered by battery. Battery, fan and controller are placed inside a rainproof SS box.

Triple T BBQ
04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
So how we are coming along with the progress on the version 4 logic boards? Still planning on sending a group shipment to the US? I am more than happy to help you out by distributing them to whomever should receive one if you want. Just need to be covered for the costs. I really want this temp unit to work out for you. My unit had locked up a couple times and had to be rebooted after running for about 4-5 hours at time. Symptoms are that the webserver stops responding to my iphone's safari client and then the wireless network ssid disappears from the available network list. Then if I leave the unit running it stops recording temps and the alarm starts going off. If I turn it off for 45 seconds and reboot then it works as before and I can get to the unit using the safari browser on the phone. No luck at all with chrome or windows explorer under windows 7 or windows XP.

Hope to see a verison 4.0 logic board with improved wireless/web server in the near future from you. Bought this to use with comps which start in about 25 days from now so the wireless/webserver functionality is very important to us.

woodpelletsmoker
04-16-2012, 07:03 PM
You need a complete Version 4, not just change board.
We are still busy on the development. Please give me enough time to guarantee reliability

colonel00
04-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Has anyone tried a high heat cook yet? I am cooking a brisket today and it is struggling. I programmed to pit sets. The first cooked at 225 for 60 minutes just fine. Then it was programmed to bump to 325 for the rest of the cook. When it did the switch to the second set it just never started heating up and eventually shut off. I didn't catch it until the UDS was at 190*. So, I turned it onto Manual and let it crank away until the temp was over 300. Again, back to Auto and it just doesn't seem to know how to keep the higher pit temps up. I am now 10 minutes into the set and the pit temp is 277. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this. It appears that it does not want to run the fan full time but I think that is what is needed to keep the temps up without opening another intake.

Flat_Rate
04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
This is what happened to me, I couldn't get it to maintain 300 in my drum, I thought I had it working but I checked it again and it was at 268.

What are your settings for the 325 set specifically ? I was going to mess with it tomorrow just to see if I could get it working. If you give me each setting I will try it out.

woodpelletsmoker
04-21-2012, 08:44 PM
P,I,D, need to be tuned according to each specific application.
It is a trial and error process
Also you may need to set maximum output of 100%.

Flat_Rate
04-21-2012, 09:13 PM
So if I wanted to just use stage one only, what would be each setting be if I wanted my pit temp to be 300 degrees for 10 hours?

woodpelletsmoker
04-22-2012, 01:17 AM
You need to find the PID for your very own smoker.
Set I=0,D=0.
Increase P from 1,5,10, 15,20 till temperature gets out of control.
Then decrease the P value step by step till the temperature get stable again.
Then it is the right value of P.
Fix the value of P, and try I,
and fix P.I, and try D.
Make sure maximum output setting is 100% if you can not reach higher temperature.
I am going to shoot a video in my mini vertical smoker,single wall.
It will be ready in 5 hours. But Youtube is blocked in China.
I can send Video to someone's mail box, and hope he can upload to youtube

woodpelletsmoker
04-22-2012, 05:01 AM
OK I have taken a few videos.
I set pit temperature at 400F.
You can find that the fan is in full running before 394F of pit temperature, and it will run much slower when pit temperature reaches to 398F.
If you have any interest in these videos, please ask me.

woodpelletsmoker
04-22-2012, 05:05 AM
The fan is controlled by pit temperature and meat temperature.
If you set pit temperature at 300F and meat temperature at 200F.
When pit temperature reaches to 250F, and meat temperature reaches to 200F, then the fan will STOP running and pit temperature can never rise to 300F.
If you want higher pit temperature, you need to set meat temperature higher accordingly, or simply put meat probe out of pit.

colonel00
04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
This is what happened to me, I couldn't get it to maintain 300 in my drum, I thought I had it working but I checked it again and it was at 268.

What are your settings for the 325 set specifically ? I was going to mess with it tomorrow just to see if I could get it working. If you give me each setting I will try it out.

Sorry, I forgot to report back. Essentially I had to make several switches from Auto to Manual to keep boosting the temps. Eventually the controller "learned" what it needed to do and finally started cruising along. I will look at what WPS mentioned about tuning the PID a bit but I am not completely clear on what needs to be done. Right now my biggest concern is the way it seems to give up and just stop trying.

colonel00
04-22-2012, 04:36 PM
The fan is controlled by pit temperature and meat temperature.
If you set pit temperature at 300F and meat temperature at 200F.
When pit temperature reaches to 250F, and meat temperature reaches to 200F, then the fan will STOP running and pit temperature can never rise to 300F.
If you want higher pit temperature, you need to set meat temperature higher accordingly, or simply put meat probe out of pit.

I have never used the meat temperature setting so it is always set to 0. This was simply a matter of the controller trying to raise the temp with short bursts from the fan but it never ran long enough in Auto mode to get the temps up. Even using Manual mode to get the temp up, going back to Auto for a couple of times failed until it eventually learned.

woodpelletsmoker
04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
I have never used the meat temperature setting so it is always set to 0. This was simply a matter of the controller trying to raise the temp with short bursts from the fan but it never ran long enough in Auto mode to get the temps up. Even using Manual mode to get the temp up, going back to Auto for a couple of times failed until it eventually learned.
Please keep in mind my controller is MEAT probe dominated.
The meat temperature controls the fan's speed.
You set meat temperature at 0. When meat reaches to 0F, the fan will STOP running.
It runs occasionally is nothing but feature of P.I.D, a learning process.

Triple T BBQ
04-28-2012, 10:00 PM
You need a complete Version 4, not just change board.
We are still busy on the development. Please give me enough time to guarantee reliability

WPS. How are we coming? We are about 23 days away from our comp and I could really use the upgrade and a unit that does not lock up every 4-6 hours. Help a brethren out! We are counting on you. Thanks!

woodpelletsmoker
04-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Programming is much more complex. I am busy on it. testing testing and testing .Hope ready in 10 days

sparky5693
05-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Please consider bringing back tiger. Tiger is exactly what i've been looking for... new, used, doesn't matter as long as it works.

woodpelletsmoker
05-05-2012, 09:08 PM
The display set or handy set has a plastic casing or housing.
Minimum order for it is 100 pieces.
SO far tiger is only for traders.

woodpelletsmoker
05-07-2012, 02:48 AM
LION VERSION 4 is ready
please check it http://27.43.140.133/
I will keep the address updated for 3 days.
Your any comment and suggestion are appreciated

cinmur
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Looks good...I trust the wi-fi works better than the previous versions. I am hooked on using a pid controller. (Lion)...it has made bbq much easier without all the babysitting. I will get new version when available.

ChrisH
06-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I am playing with my new Lion, seems to work pretty well. Still haven't figured out how to access from the net, but I have been able to log in through my local network.

I am getting crazy overshoots, any idea what to set my P, I and D settings to. I'm running a two rack UDS.

Thanks

woodpelletsmoker
06-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I am playing with my new Lion, seems to work pretty well. Still haven't figured out how to access from the net, but I have been able to log in through my local network.

I am getting crazy overshoots, any idea what to set my P, I and D settings to. I'm running a two rack UDS.

Thanks

At beginning, it will LEARN your pit, there may be a short time over shooting.
If it happens often, you must open cover and disturb the balance often. Each time, it LEARNS again. also you can set HDC lower than 100, HDC is maximum output

ChrisH
06-03-2012, 09:59 PM
At beginning, it will LEARN your pit, there may be a short time over shooting.
If it happens often, you must open cover and disturb the balance often. Each time, it LEARNS again. also you can set HDC lower than 100, HDC is maximum output

I lowered the HDC.

When you say that it learns the Pit do you mean it changes the PID values? Mine are remaining fixed.

I had to do a manual reset. Do I need to change anything to put it into learning mode or is it always learning?

Thanks

woodpelletsmoker
06-03-2012, 11:30 PM
You may try different PID. There are many talks abut PID setting,please search Internet

ChrisH
06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
You may try different PID. There are many talks abut PID setting,please search Internet

You didn't answer any of my questions.

Also, for $250+ you are not providing any support for your products. It is not acceptable to me to say "search the internet". When I asked you about wifi issues you referred me to this site.

If you want to sell these, you will need to work on your customer support.

woodpelletsmoker
06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
LION is a standard WIFI equipment.
Different operating system, different router, different ISP have different settings to access LION to Internet.
If you read this post, you will find that some have successfully accessed LION to Internet, other do not.
If you bought a Boing 747, I am sure that Boing would not equip it with a pilot.
To access LION to Internet, you need certain knowledge of Internet and computer.
If you can not access LION to internet, you can send it back and I will 100% refund you. and You can buy TIGER, the wireless remote control model, effective distance is 600' feet. TIGER does not need any setting.

cinmur
06-05-2012, 08:26 AM
I am using the Lion controller...As WPS mentioned, it will learn itself. After using it a few times, it is right on the target +/- a few degrees. functionally it works great...using the wifi has been another story and trust the new version will connect.

woodpelletsmoker
06-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Many had checked it via Internet while it was hosted in China. Please refer to my other post.
Some buyers also had set up LION to Internet by them self.
But I can not help to all buyers to setup due to reasons mentioned above

ChrisH
06-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Many had checked it via Internet while it was hosted in China. Please refer to my other post.
Some buyers also had set up LION to Internet by them self.
But I can not help to all buyers to setup due to reasons mentioned above

I was able to get it working on a home network in Infra mode based on a post earlier, but have not been able to make it accessible over the net. My point is that, as the seller, you bare the burdon of helping users make it work. It seems like a cop-out to say that "there are too many variables, figure it out yourself".

Don't get me wrong, I like the product, there are just a few bugs that need to be worked out.

dgently
06-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I was able to get it working on a home network in Infra mode based on a post earlier, but have not been able to make it accessible over the net. My point is that, as the seller, you bare the burdon of helping users make it work. It seems like a cop-out to say that "there are too many variables, figure it out yourself".

Don't get me wrong, I like the product, there are just a few bugs that need to be worked out.

I don't have a controller yet, although I will order the Tiger when it is ready. I would have liked the Lion, but at twice the price with the current offer, I can't justify it.

I just wanted to comment on the complaints about access from the Internet.

As someone who has set up servers, firewalls as well as programmed P2P software, I just wanted to come out in defence of WPS on this point (I don't know about other complaints).

When one connects a device to ones LAN via WIFI, it is connected to ones internal network behind the firewall which is handled by the (WIFI) hub, or ADSL/Cable modem.

Connections from the Internet always go to this hub, which then needs to forward the connection to the appropriate device (PID controller, webcam, web server, bittorrent client, etc). This is set up on the hub, and requires no special setup on the device (apart from a fixed IP).

This configuration is different for every hub type, and possibly different depending on the service provider, and has nothing to do with the device. Support needs to come from the makers of the other device (or the ISP).

The other problem is getting a fixed IP or domain name that is fixed. This is an extra complication that also needs to be solved on the outside(internet/ISP) not internally.

The basic setup is to use the Port Forwarding service and to forward the port from the internet side of the hub to the Lion.

Afterthat all that is needed is a free dynamic DNS service to handle the IP address changes.

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting a Tiger for my BSK.

Cheers,
Dgently

ChrisH
06-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't have a controller yet, although I will order the Tiger when it is ready. I would have liked the Lion, but at twice the price with the current offer, I can't justify it.

I just wanted to comment on the complaints about access from the Internet.

As someone who has set up servers, firewalls as well as programmed P2P software, I just wanted to come out in defence of WPS on this point (I don't know about other complaints).

When one connects a device to ones LAN via WIFI, it is connected to ones internal network behind the firewall which is handled by the (WIFI) hub, or ADSL/Cable modem.

Connections from the Internet always go to this hub, which then needs to forward the connection to the appropriate device (PID controller, webcam, web server, bittorrent client, etc). This is set up on the hub, and requires no special setup on the device (apart from a fixed IP).

This configuration is different for every hub type, and possibly different depending on the service provider, and has nothing to do with the device. Support needs to come from the makers of the other device (or the ISP).

The other problem is getting a fixed IP or domain name that is fixed. This is an extra complication that also needs to be solved on the outside(internet/ISP) not internally.

The basic setup is to use the Port Forwarding service and to forward the port from the internet side of the hub to the Lion.

Afterthat all that is needed is a free dynamic DNS service to handle the IP address changes.

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting a Tiger for my BSK.

Cheers,
Dgently

Thanks for your post. Coincidentally, I just read a support document that describes exactly what you just posted. I found it on the site for the Stoker (https://www.rocksbarbque.com/PDF/Stoker_inet.pdf, if anyone else is interested). My point is that there was no such documentation provided by WPS.

I kinda-sorta got my Lion working on my network be reading an earlier post on here. I just think that if WPS would like to compete with the likes of Stoker or Guru, then he needs to improve the support.

I am still happy with the controller in general, and I do think I will eventually get t working, it is just taking long than I had hoped. The controller works well and definitely achieves my first goal - being able to go to bed and sleep more than 4 hours while smoking. It holds my temps to +/- 20 degrees which, while not great, is adequate - I believe that it is still learning my drum, so hopefully it will improve. (it can hold within 10-15 degrees on its own, this just gives me peace of mind at night).

As someone who knows more about networks than I do, would you mind offering some advice?

I have Time Warner Cable, with a piece of junk Arris modem and router-in-one. I hate the router; it seems to only allow 5 users connected via WiFi at any time. I am strongly thinking about returning and asking for just a modem and buying a decent router. Until I do, I am struggling with my Lion setup.

My house is wired for Ethernet in every room, so I connected an old D-link router to the TWC Arris router and created a new wifi network to which I connected the Lion. Oddly, I had to make all the settings changes to the D-link before connecting the Arris, as I was unable to access the D-link when it was connected to the Arris, despite the fact that I changed the ip address of the D-link so that it was different to Arris's (previously they were both 192.168.0.1, changed the D-link to 192.168.0.2). I do no have access to the Arris as I do not have the password or username.

Anyhow, if I am connected to the new WiFi network I created, I am able to access the Lion through its address (192.168.0.190), but I was not able to get any of the port forwarding stuff to work. I created an account with no-ip.com for a dynamic DNS service, and entered the details in the D-link but it would not for the life of me work.

I suspect the reason why is that in order to get the D-link to access the Internet I had to put it in to Access Point mode, is this correct?

In a related question, if I named the new network the same as the old one and used the same password, would the operate as one seamless network? Also, would I be plagued with the same 5 user max BS?

Many, many thanks

SMAK
06-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Send me a PM. I write training manuals for a living.

I know that this thread is a little old, but, just wondering if there was any progress in getting clearer more concise instructions for the use of this PID controller??

Just bite the bullet and purchased one,the build looks good and with a little searching I was able to get some settings set (My order lacked any instructions at all)

I read this thread and gleaned a little info and then contacted the manufacturer, but the time zone thing was working against Me :sad:

Its raining now so I cant really try it out, so I will have to wait until next week.

thanks and take care...

P.S. I dont have the wifi model, I have the Wolf model, I would like to have a little more in depth operational instructions for the PID side of things

woodpelletsmoker
06-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I know that this thread is a little old, but, just wondering if there was any progress in getting clearer more concise instructions for the use of this PID controller??

Just bite the bullet and purchased one,the build looks good and with a little searching I was able to get some settings set (My order lacked any instructions at all)

I read this thread and gleaned a little info and then contacted the manufacturer, but the time zone thing was working against Me :sad:

Its raining now so I cant really try it out, so I will have to wait until next week.

thanks and take care...

P.S. I dont have the wifi model, I have the Wolf model, I would like to have a little more in depth operational instructions for the PID side of things
I work all day except sleeping

dgently
06-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your post. Coincidentally, I just read a support document that describes exactly what you just posted. I found it on the site for the Stoker (https://www.rocksbarbque.com/PDF/Stoker_inet.pdf, if anyone else is interested). My point is that there was no such documentation provided by WPS.

I kinda-sorta got my Lion working on my network be reading an earlier post on here. I just think that if WPS would like to compete with the likes of Stoker or Guru, then he needs to improve the support.

I am still happy with the controller in general, and I do think I will eventually get t working, it is just taking long than I had hoped. The controller works well and definitely achieves my first goal - being able to go to bed and sleep more than 4 hours while smoking. It holds my temps to +/- 20 degrees which, while not great, is adequate - I believe that it is still learning my drum, so hopefully it will improve. (it can hold within 10-15 degrees on its own, this just gives me peace of mind at night).

As someone who knows more about networks than I do, would you mind offering some advice?

I have Time Warner Cable, with a piece of junk Arris modem and router-in-one. I hate the router; it seems to only allow 5 users connected via WiFi at any time. I am strongly thinking about returning and asking for just a modem and buying a decent router. Until I do, I am struggling with my Lion setup.

My house is wired for Ethernet in every room, so I connected an old D-link router to the TWC Arris router and created a new wifi network to which I connected the Lion. Oddly, I had to make all the settings changes to the D-link before connecting the Arris, as I was unable to access the D-link when it was connected to the Arris, despite the fact that I changed the ip address of the D-link so that it was different to Arris's (previously they were both 192.168.0.1, changed the D-link to 192.168.0.2). I do no have access to the Arris as I do not have the password or username.

Anyhow, if I am connected to the new WiFi network I created, I am able to access the Lion through its address (192.168.0.190), but I was not able to get any of the port forwarding stuff to work. I created an account with no-ip.com for a dynamic DNS service, and entered the details in the D-link but it would not for the life of me work.

I suspect the reason why is that in order to get the D-link to access the Internet I had to put it in to Access Point mode, is this correct?

In a related question, if I named the new network the same as the old one and used the same password, would the operate as one seamless network? Also, would I be plagued with the same 5 user max BS?

Many, many thanks

I would like to help you, but am not sure I got all the information right.

as far as I can tell your setup is like this:

INTERNET --> ARRIS --> D-link -> Lion
|
v
Other devices
1) Is this correct?

2) Your d-link doesn't have NAT or Masquerading setup? (can you access your lion from devices that are connected to the ARRIS network directly or only devices connected to the D-LINK?)

3) You don't have configuration access to the ARRIS? This will be necessary to do port forwarding for access from the internet.

4) Can you access the ARRIS at 192.168.0.1 from a computer connected to the D-Link?

I do not know any of the devices in particular, but with this information I could probably tell you the basic steps for configuration.

Dgently

ChrisH
06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I would like to help you, but am not sure I got all the information right.

as far as I can tell your setup is like this:

INTERNET --> ARRIS --> D-link -> Lion
|
v
Other devices
1) Is this correct?

2) Your d-link doesn't have NAT or Masquerading setup? (can you access your lion from devices that are connected to the ARRIS network directly or only devices connected to the D-LINK?)

3) You don't have configuration access to the ARRIS? This will be necessary to do port forwarding for access from the internet.

4) Can you access the ARRIS at 192.168.0.1 from a computer connected to the D-Link?

I do not know any of the devices in particular, but with this information I could probably tell you the basic steps for configuration.

Dgently

Thanks for your reply. Your schematic is correct.

2) I don't know about the NAT or masquerading setup, I'll have to try next time I hook it up. I believe (but wouldnt bet my life on it) that the Lion could only be accessed through the D-link, and not the Arris.

3) I don't have admin username and password for the Arris, I was on hold with TWC but never got to speak to anyone.

4) I think so.

Thanks

Chris

dflipse
06-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Any updates on the V4 Lion? Specifically, I'm interested in any success (or failure) using this to monitor (and perhaps adjust) temps using the web browser on an iPhone over WiFi. While logging is slick, it's not a must-have for me.

I see that the Tiger (dedicated wireless remote) is back on sale, and that will certainly do the job. However, I would be willing to spend a bit more on the WiFi device if that is working well, mostly to avoid having the extra device knocking around the house.

woodpelletsmoker
06-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Any updates on the V4 Lion? Specifically, I'm interested in any success (or failure) using this to monitor (and perhaps adjust) temps using the web browser on an iPhone over WiFi. While logging is slick, it's not a must-have for me.

I see that the Tiger (dedicated wireless remote) is back on sale, and that will certainly do the job. However, I would be willing to spend a bit more on the WiFi device if that is working well, mostly to avoid having the extra device knocking around the house.

10+ buyers have received LION V4. 2 buyers are writing instruction manual to access LION to Internet.
If you want direct communicate between iPhone and Lion, it is very easy to set up.

You can program LION from your computer/iPhone.
Setting temperature and time interval, display in C or F.
Automatic control or manual control
Added features over V3
1.change fan speed when manual mode.
2.Graphing of Temperature-Output Voltage-Time. This feature is a great help to tune P,I,D.

ChrisH
07-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Folks,

I just received my WiFi unit a couple days ago. Breif review below to help others get going with this unit and I'll provide more detail later.

- First off, as others have stated the PID parameters are very good - pit temperature control is as good as I've seen Fan quality and volume is very good. The air volume from the fan at 100% is actually far to much for the 'average' backyard pit. Without testing, I suspect this fan would be more than sufficient for a large competition pit. I find that setting the maximum fan speed to 65% is about right for my purposes.

- There are a few really good features to note quickly. First, it will remember exactly where it was in it's cooking program (i.e. what stage, temp, and time) in the event of a power loss. As soon as power was restored, it will begin exactly where it left off - no reprogramming the cooking cycle necessary. The meat probe is very good - and the ability to "hold" a meat temperature after the cooking cycle is a great feature at such a low price point. Last feature to note is manual fan control to bring the pit temperature up to target VERY quickly.

A few details before we begin.

- The fan is surprisingly high volume and the controller does demand a considerable start-up current if the fan is set at the default 100% maximum rate. I would suggest either a 2-3A 12V adapter or a small gel cell battery combined with a smaller battery charge controller. The latter would be preferential for 'critical' cooking as you effectively have battery backup in addition to the battery acting as a 'buffer' to supply the extra current needed when the fan first starts up.

- For those living in one of the last 2 countries on the planet that still think in Fahrenheit (I'm Canadian - so I'm bilingual - C/F - makes no difference to me). Press and hold the Set1 buton for 3 seconds. The display will change from showing the pit current/set value to setup mode. The first setup parameter is F-C - which allows you to change the display from degrees C to degrees F. The default is 0000 which will display temperatures in degrees C. Pressing the + button will change the display to 0001 which display temperatures in degrees F.

- while your in setup mode, you might want to set the max fan speed a bit lower unless you have a very large pit. In setup mode, pressing the Set1 button will move the display to the next setup parameter. The fourth parameter is HdC which is the maximum fan speed expressed as a percentage of max. Default value is 100%, I'd suggest setting this down to 70% as a good starting point.

- More info on the other parameters later.

Now, onto WiFi details:

When the controller starts up for the first time, it will be in AdHoc networking mode. Meaning that it will not attempt to join an existing network but will rather just appear as a standalone device that you can connect to with any WiFi enabled client device (laptop, phone, tablet, etc.). The AdHoc networking mode would be useful if you were traveling with your bbq and your home network was unavailable. You could then easily monitor with just your WiFi enabled phone wherever you were.

However, for a permanent home installation, the initial AdHoc mode is really just to allow you to configure the device to join an existing network.

First off, you should note the IP details that your laptop currently has when connected to your home network. The three parameters your looking for are IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway. Note these somewhere for use later on. For those a bit more network saavy, what we're really looking for is an IP address that is outside of the normal DHCP range of your router that we can later assign to the controller. We'll also need this "open" address to set up port forwarding in the router/firewall if we want to access the controller from the internet.

Next step will be to note the exact name of your wireless network (SSID) and the method used for authentication - i.e. how does your network expect to see the wireless password? I would strongly recommend setting your wireless network to "open" or security/authentication "disabled" temporarily - much easier to start simple and add the security later.

Also, it will be much easier at this stage if you unplug or disable your home network's wireless AP or router.

That's it for preparation. Now we'll need to set the wireless adapter on your client device (laptop, phone, etc.) to a static IP address as follows:

IP: 192.168.1.16
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.15

If you are unfamilliar with how to set a static IP on your device, Google has the answers.

Next, power up the PID controller and on your client device initiate a scan for available wireless networks. You should soon see a new network available called "GOLDEN-LION" that is open (i.e., requires no password).

Connect to this network and use Internet Explorer to connect to http://192.168.1.15:1080. While you can use any browser to configure the wireless portion of the controller, at this point only Internet Explorer has been reliably working for me to see the actual pit temperatures/stages.

Once you've successfully loaded the Wireless Settings page, the first thing you'll want to do is change the name of the controllers wireless network to match that of your home network. If you've followed my recommendation, there will be no password to enter as you've disabled passwords for your home network (temporarily). Save this setting and the controller will restart. If you scan for new wireless networks, and your home network is turned off, then you should see the controller come up using the same name as your home network - but in AdHoc mode.

Connect again to the controller and now you'll be setting it's IP address to a static or fixed value that matches the format for your home network. Set the gateway and subnet mask to the same values as your laptop had when it was on your home network - and make sure you choose an IP for the controller that is unique. Save these settings again, and again the controller will re-boot.

This time, you'll need to change the IP of your laptop to a new static address that matches the format of your home network. I.e., if your home network has an IP address format of 192.168.0.x, and you've just set the controller to 192.168.0.99 because you are sure it's not in use, then you'll need to set your laptop to something like 192.168.0.98. This is just temporary for this last step.

Using Internet Explorer, connect again to the NEW address of the controller on port 1080. In the example above, this would be http://192.168.0.99:1080.

The last step is in the Advanced Settings area where we'll want to set the network mode to "Infra" rather than "AdHoc". This tells the controller to join the existing network that we set up earlier rather than creating it's own. Before you hit save, go back and plug or re-enable your home's wireless network. Save the controllers settings and it should reboot and join your home network!

Before you try to connect to it, you should restore your laptops normal settings - which is likely to have an IP address assigned to it automaticly via DHCP from your router rather than a 'manual' static address that we've been using for setup. Connect your laptop back to your home wireless network and confirm that the controller is online at the address you've set. I prefer confirming by going directly to the wireless settings page on port 1080, but if you wish you can skip this step and go directly to the PID controller page on the 'standard' port 80.

Again, for me the only browser that properly displayed the controller parameters is Internet Explorer - Chrome displayed the static text but did not run the JavaScript properly and would not display temperatures.

In the release of firmware that I have, you can only view temperatures and not actually control anything. I'm sure this is not the intended final feature set - and if someone knows something that I don't, please let me know. I'm trying to get some details on actually CONTROLLING the pit via WiFi from the developer.

If you get to this point successfully, then making the controller visible on the internet is a relatively simple matter of configuring port forwarding on your router. A lesson for another day.

Final Comments:

- Bottom line is that the PID controller and fan end of the product functions remarkable well for the price point. I would buy one again without hesitation.
- However, the WiFi end of the product is very new and needs a lot more polish to make it what I'd really like to see. I'm confident that all these issues can be solved with just a new firmware release and some good documentation - we'll see how quickly this can be achieved.
- if you're not an avid network 'hobbiest' and don't have the patience to wait for some of the WiFi features to get smoothed out, I'd stick with the "tiger" model with the wireless remote.

Save these settings and the controller will restart (actu

I followed these steps and I was successfully able to connect the controller to the home network and access the controller through the home network. However, I was only able to do so with the security disabled. When I try to enable security, I lose the ability to connect to the controller. Help, please

landshark530
07-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Add the IP address of the controller into your dmz server in your router. That will circumvent your security protocols for that IP, and that IP only.

landshark530
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I cooked the best pork butt ever last Saturday. Fired the grill at 5am and got to temp with the manuls setting, then switched to auto. Put on 2 8lb butts with only famous Dave's rub (I was short on rub).
I smoked them at 250 degrees until they hit 165. I put them both in a foil pan with about a 1/2 inch of apple juice. Covered them a put them back on till they hit 200. I let them rest in a cooler for 3 hours. They were still too hot touch when I pulled them, and were awesome.
My controller continues to perform well.

ChrisH
07-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Add the IP address of the controller into your dmz server in your router. That will circumvent your security protocols for that IP, and that IP only.

I tried doing that, but it did not seem to make a difference.

Do you have the wifi version of the controller?

Thanks?

ChrisH
07-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I cooked the best pork butt ever last Saturday. Fired the grill at 5am and got to temp with the manuls setting, then switched to auto. Put on 2 8lb butts with only famous Dave's rub (I was short on rub).
I smoked them at 250 degrees until they hit 165. I put them both in a foil pan with about a 1/2 inch of apple juice. Covered them a put them back on till they hit 200. I let them rest in a cooler for 3 hours. They were still too hot touch when I pulled them, and were awesome.
My controller continues to perform well.

What values for P, I and D do you have?

What kind of grill are you using?

I'm on a UDS.

Thanks

landshark530
07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
The p.i.d. standards have not been changed. I'm using a chargriller with a side firebox. It's about as airtight as a screen door, not sealed like my uds.

landshark530
07-17-2012, 09:03 PM
I tried doing that, but it did not seem to make a difference.

Do you have the wifi version of the controller?

Thanks?

Negative, ghostrider. I have the basic non wifi, non remote control unit.

The only other idea I would have would be to open your network and see what port number the controller is using, and then set up portforwarding for that port.
I am not a network geek. I only know enough to complete screw up my own system, and once in awhile i get lucky.
Make sure your us has plenty of exhaust to draw enough air to get the system to acknowledge temp changes. I have a uds with a 1 1/2 inch intake, and 2 1/2 inch exhaust and it will run for hours at 250 with minimal adjustments. My main issue with it is temp spike from opening during a cook, and not enough room for a big cook.

Gr8adventure
07-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Is anyone using one of these controllers on a UDS with 3/4" pipe nipples/ball valves and if so which adapter are you using. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of these. The more I read about them the more I think I want of his wolf basic Wolf models.

woodpelletsmoker
07-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Is anyone using one of these controllers on a UDS with 3/4" pipe nipples/ball valves and if so which adapter are you using. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of these. The more I read about them the more I think I want of his wolf basic Wolf models.
Following is cited from http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134078&page=2

Most people that build UDS's use 3/4" NPT pipe and a 3/4" ball valve. The outside diameter of this pipe is approximately 1" so your adapters fit into the ball valve nicely. Just thought I would let you know so you could explain it when asked. I will get a photo to show what I mean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My adapter C works for you

Gr8adventure
07-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Following is cited from http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134078&page=2

Most people that build UDS's use 3/4" NPT pipe and a 3/4" ball valve. The outside diameter of this pipe is approximately 1" so your adapters fit into the ball valve nicely. Just thought I would let you know so you could explain it when asked. I will get a photo to show what I mean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My adapter C works for you

Thank you for the fast replies to all of my questions, both here and on Ebay. I know I've probably asked way to many.

I was strongly considering BBQ Guru Nano, but I don't like that it does not have a digital read out and only has a pit probe.

So I've decided to purchase the Tiger.

I know I really do not need it for my UDS, but I want it, plus I will eventually purchase a reverse flow stick burner and this unit will be great on of them. I'll just likely have get a different another adapter.

In the mean time can anyone tell me if the connections on the following battery will work on the Tiger http://www.ebay.com/itm/221033119261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2065wt_1037

Do you all think I should get a 12 volt ac/dc adapter also?

Jamiwa
07-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Please keep in mind my controller is MEAT probe dominated.
The meat temperature controls the fan's speed.
You set meat temperature at 0. When meat reaches to 0F, the fan will STOP running.
It runs occasionally is nothing but feature of P.I.D, a learning process.

I ordered the Golden Lion version (WIFI) and in setting it up on my network, it sure was a fickle process to get it working using WPA2 encryption. With that behind me, I am now ready to try it for the first time on my WSM. However, I really only want to use the 'pit' probe and not the 'meat' probe. According to Wang, the controller 'is MEAT probe dominated' and if the meat temp is set to 0, the fan will stop running. I'd really like to ignore the meat probe and would prefer to disconnect it altogether. Is that possible and if so, what 'P' settings should would you recommend?

Jamiwa
07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
I followed these steps and I was successfully able to connect the controller to the home network and access the controller through the home network. However, I was only able to do so with the security disabled. When I try to enable security, I lose the ability to connect to the controller. Help, please

Make sure you match the encryption types between the controller and your wireless router. I initially made the mistake of selecting WPA Personal/TKIP vs. WPA2 Personal/TKIP on the controller. Also, the default character type for the key on the controller is 'hex' and most passphrases that people use are in 'ASCII', so you may need to change that in the drop down menu on the controller.

woodpelletsmoker
07-24-2012, 10:49 AM
When meat reaches to set value, the meat probe will take over control.
You can set P1 at a much higher value.This way the meat can never reach to set value, and the smoker is controlled by pit probe. This way the meat probe is just for monitoring.

Jamiwa
07-24-2012, 01:14 PM
You can set P1 at a much higher value.This way the meat can never reach to set value, and the smoker is controlled by pit probe. This way the meat probe is just for monitoring.

I do not want to insert the meat probe in the smoker. So can I leave it at the outside air temperature (~80 degrees F)? What happens when the pit temp reaches my desired temperature of let's say 270F? If P1 is set for 400F and the probe temperature is at 80F, won't it attempt to raise the temperature by turning on the fan?

Jamiwa
07-24-2012, 02:06 PM

One other question. Is there a way to know how much time is left for a given cycle? For instance, if I set TC1 for 120 minutes and 40 minutes have passed since the start, is there a way to see that 80 minutes are left for TC1?

Thanks for your help.

Jamiwa
07-24-2012, 06:47 PM
I bought this sealed 12V 5AH battery on Amazon for $15 delivered. I use a car charger in trickle mode to charge it. It works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Alarm-Battery-12v5ah-Hour/dp/B0010Z4MDK/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

woodpelletsmoker
07-24-2012, 08:07 PM
I do not want to insert the meat probe in the smoker. So can I leave it at the outside air temperature (~80 degrees F)? What happens when the pit temp reaches my desired temperature of let's say 270F? If P1 is set for 400F and the probe temperature is at 80F, won't it attempt to raise the temperature by turning on the fan?

This is exactly my way.Before meat reaches to 400F, the fan is controlled by pit probe

woodpelletsmoker
07-24-2012, 08:11 PM
One other question. Is there a way to know how much time is left for a given cycle? For instance, if I set TC1 for 120 minutes and 40 minutes have passed since the start, is there a way to see that 80 minutes are left for TC1?

Thanks for your help.
But please read my site. we have BEAR and FOX, which have window of time count down, or accumulated time. If you do not want to control meat temperature, you can buy FOX, and a AC/DC adapter for fan.FOX can also be used to upgrade an electric smoker, and do Sous Vide

woodpelletsmoker
07-24-2012, 08:13 PM
I bought this sealed 12V 5AH battery on Amazon for $15 delivered. I use a car charger in trickle mode to charge it. It works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Alarm-Battery-12v5ah-Hour/dp/B0010Z4MDK/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

Maybe in one year your 5 a.h capacity decreases to 1 a.h.
Personally I recommend Li-ion battery

woodpelletsmoker
07-24-2012, 09:10 PM
to find best value of P.I.D is a trial and error process.
PID is a standard automatic control math. There are many talks on Internet.
But default settings work for most cases. In 10 to 20 minutes of "learning period" it will be stable.
Better PID value will shorten this "learning period", and less swing in "learning period".

thegizzard
07-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I got WPA2 TKIP working perfectly. Was anyone able to get WPA2 AES working?

Jamiwa
07-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I have a Golden Lion and when I open the lid on my WSM to turn my ribs, the smoker obviously and momentarily cools down. This causes the controller to turn on and it overshoots my temperture. Since there isn't an 'open lid' function on the controller, can anyone tell me if I can merely turn off the Golden Lion when I have the lid open and if so, will it pick up where I left off in auto mode when I turn it back on?

Wang - I noticed that the web interface for the Lion in auto mode does keep track of the runtime in minutes. I don't think it does on the controller itself, but it does on the web interface. Also, I did get my Lion to work over the web using the IP address on the public side of my modem. It is so nice to be able to control it from any device, anywhere on the web. This was merely a simple configuration change on my cable modem to allow inbound port 80 forwarding to the IP address of the Lion.

Triple T BBQ
07-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I have a Golden Lion.

Wang - I noticed that the web interface for the Lion in auto mode does keep track of the runtime in minutes. I don't think it does on the controller itself, but it does on the web interface. Also, I did get my Lion to work over the web using the IP address on the public side of my modem.

Jamiwa,

What version of the lion firmware did you end up with? Version 4?

woodpelletsmoker
07-30-2012, 07:32 PM
can anyone tell me if I can merely turn off the Golden Lion when I have the lid open and if so, will it pick up where I left off in auto mode when I turn it back on?
Before you open lid of smoker, turn off the power of controller.
After you close lid of smoker, turn on power again.
The controller will CONTINUE last program instead of start a new program from very beginning.

woodpelletsmoker
07-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Indeed Graphing helps less.
You do not need to care how it works.
You need only to make sure the smoker temperature is STABLE
But some customers ask for this function and I add it on the web interface.
To add it on the controller itsself, it needs big LCD or LED, much more extra cost.

Jamiwa
07-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Indeed Graphing helps less.
You do not need to care how it works.
You need only to make sure the smoker temperature is STABLE
But some customers ask for this function and I add it on the web interface.
To add it on the controller itsself, it needs big LCD or LED, much more extra cost.

Wang - it is VERY IMPORTANT to me to know how much time has passed in a given cycle and I am sure the same is true for most people that might buy your controllers. You do not need a bigger display, you merely need to count down the TC time display for each phase.

Jamiwa
07-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Jamiwa,

What version of the lion firmware did you end up with? Version 4?

I don't know how to tell, but I ordered it at the beginning of this past April and it arrived near the end of that same month.

Wang - do you know the firmware version of the Lion that you shipped to me?

woodpelletsmoker
07-30-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't know how to tell, but I ordered it at the beginning of this past April and it arrived near the end of that same month.

Wang - do you know the firmware version of the Lion that you shipped to me?
So it is V4.

woodpelletsmoker
07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Wang - it is VERY IMPORTANT to me to know how much time has passed in a given cycle and I am sure the same is true for most people that might buy your controllers. You do not need a bigger display, you merely need to count down the TC time display.

In next version I may add "time- count down" or " Accumulated time".
There is such feature in FOX and Bear

Jamiwa
07-30-2012, 10:08 PM
In next version I may add "time- count down" or " Accumulated time".
There is such feature in FOX and Bear

Will I be able to upgrade the firmware by downloading the file from you and then uploading it to the Lion?

woodpelletsmoker
07-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Will I be able to upgrade the firmware by downloading the file from you and then uploading it to the Lion?
hardware will be different too

thegizzard
08-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Is it possible to download the data from the Lion? Can I access the data via telnet or ssh?

stiverp
08-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Ok guys, I need the internet connection for dummies. I want to be able to do both, connect to the home wifi and be able to connect while traveling away from home internet. I can't get anything up except connected to Golden-Lion. Any help would be great. Thanks.

thegizzard
08-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I got you covered. I can explain it all to you in beautiful detail, but I am away from my home setup. I hope to lay everything out nicely this weekend.

In the mean time, there are a few posts which basically put me on the right track. I can point these out to you if you cannot wait.

Jamiwa
08-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Ok guys, I need the internet connection for dummies. I want to be able to do both, connect to the home wifi and be able to connect while traveling away from home internet. I can't get anything up except connected to Golden-Lion. Any help would be great. Thanks.

There is an excellent write up on Page 7 of this thread on how to configure the Golden-Lion so it can be controlled via your home WIFI network.

To control it via the Internet, you will need to configure your gateway router/firewall to allow port forwarding to the Lion. The config will vary depending on the router/firewall manufacturer.

thegizzard
08-18-2012, 08:26 PM
There is an excellent write up on Page 7 of this thread on how to configure the Golden-Lion so it can be controlled via your home WIFI network.

To control it via the Internet, you will need to configure your gateway router/firewall to allow port forwarding to the Lion. The config will vary depending on the router/firewall manufacturer.

Jamiwa is correct. These are the same instructions I followed. But it can be difficult to follow and I made a couple of mistakes. I will work on enhanced instructions tomorrow.