PDA

View Full Version : Back in Austin - Franklin part duex

bmanMA
01-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Yes, I am lucky to have to travel to Austin several times a year for work.
This time I am going back to a place that I thought was the best in the city last year. It was in a funky green trailer at the time, but now it's gone brick and mortar. Word is that you need to be at Franklin BBQ by 10am now!
Holy cow. Stand in line till they open at 11. At least it's winter! I'll be shivering in the 60* wintry weather. :thumb:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
01-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Very interested in your take on the new location.

bmanMA
01-11-2012, 11:51 PM
New spot is cool. Got there at 9:45. Was 4th in line, and by 10:15 the line was substantial. Cant imagine it on a weekend.

They certainly are doing well! The new place has the homey BBQ joint feel, with tables inside as well as out on a deck. As before, they have sauces on each table. They have the briskies wrapped in butcher paper in the warmer. They have soda fountains and iced tea (sweet and not) as well. They take credit cards, and have some swag for sale. All in all, great upgrade. The old trailer is still out back :) They have been selling out pretty early from what I gathered in talking with the others in line (a large proportion of which were college kids). Nobody seemed to mind waiting.

MilitantSquatter
01-14-2012, 02:23 PM
that line is insane !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3LuDcSrCyk&feature=player_embedded#

bmanMA
01-14-2012, 10:58 PM
shoot, it was about 1.5 times as long and much denser (nuts to butt)!
On a Wednesday nonetheless.

Boshizzle
02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I visited Franklin Barbecue when I was in Austin back in December. The brisket is superb and Aaron Franklin has certainly found a niche with his food and restaurant atmosphere. I got in line at about 10:15am and by the time the restaurant opened the line was way down the street.

While there is sauce on every table, I can tell you that you don't need it or want to use it. The brisket is that good. In fact, it was the best brisket I have ever eaten from a restaurant.

BTW - If you have the time to visit Lockhart, please do your self a favor and visit Smitty's Market. A close up look at the BBQ pit at that place alone is worth the trip.