PDA

View Full Version : comp brisket sauced?

lazy butt
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
At comps should you sauce the brisket or should you not sauce it . If you sauce it do judges think you covering up a dry bisket at apperance? still trying to figure out this brisket catagory.

roksmith
01-09-2012, 08:39 AM
IMHO, The perfectly cooked brisket requires absolutely nothing added. If it's less than perfect, it may need a little something, but I don't add sauce..drippings only.

JD McGee
01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Most folks will use sauce or aujus to enhance the flavor of the brisket...there is nothing all the sauce in the world can do for shoe leather though...:cool:

Bunny
01-09-2012, 09:57 AM
No Sauce!

bbq.tom
01-09-2012, 11:11 AM
From one judge's perspective (i.e., IMHO), I like to see a "LIGHT" shine on the brisket for appearance, but NOT a flavor changing "sauce" unless it enhances the natural flavor. Each entry is to be judged as the cook presents it; however, I believe that just about every judge is looking for "brisket/beef" flavor and NOT sauce flavor. Again - just my humble opinion.

Fat Freddy
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Most folks will use sauce or aujus to enhance the flavor of the brisket...there is nothing all the sauce in the world can do for shoe leather though...:cool:

Sounds like you tried my last brisket turn in:roll:

Ryan Chester
01-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I use aujus with success. Although, I did taste a very respected competitors brisket 2 weeks ago that was sauced. I have no clue what the sauce was but fark it was good!

big matt
01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
I use aujus with success. Although, I did taste a very respected competitors brisket 2 weeks ago that was sauced. I have no clue what the sauce was but fark it was good!Same here..and i tasted that brisket too..its hard to place what it is but it's dam good

JD McGee
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you tried my last brisket turn in:roll:

I've cooked my share of shoe leather briskets brother! :laugh::tsk::becky:

tdwalker
01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Another judges point of view here.

As usual, I agree with Tom above. Entries should be judged as presented. I would not be biased against a "sauced" brisket just by the exitence of the sauce.

Now, if the sauce distracted or subtracted instead of adding or complementing, that would definately be a mark down.

I have seen very, very few briskets presented sauced in comp.

Best Regards and Good Luck!

sitnfat
01-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Saucing brisket is like saucing steak, only needed if the meat isn't cooked right

CharcoalCowboy
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
+1 on Au Jus no sauce

ThomEmery
01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I've cooked my share of shoe leather briskets brother! :laugh::tsk::becky:

Brisket Chili has been served at our house many times
"what are we going to do with this fill in the blank with either pot roast or old boot brisket?"

Sledneck
01-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Steak sauce

Rookie'48
01-09-2012, 10:58 PM
bbq.tom & tdwalker pretty well summed it up for me. I want to taste the brisket and I want it to taste like brisket, not pot roast! I'm not going to grade down just because someone uses a sauce, but if the SBR over powers the taste of the beef then how am I suppossed to judge the taste of the meat?

Dr_KY
01-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Not long ago watched on tape and listened to a judge talk more about what the cook was hiding came across as about 80% of what he's looking for.:doh:

Cue's Your Daddy
01-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Here's a question.... whenpeople say it should taste like brisket, what does that mean. With all the phosphates that people use now, I think that the taste is changed right from the get go. Cooks know what a good brisket tastes like, but does your avg judge know what that is. I have asked that question to lots of cooks and the response is not pot roast. But that doesn't fully answer the question. I am just a confused brisket cook, did really well 1 year in brisket, now, not so much. I was tninking of going to sauce since I use an au jus, but to me brisket shouldn't have sauce.

Ponderosa BBQ
01-10-2012, 12:24 PM
All I can say after cumming ga I went home and finally did what I been wanting to do I finally know what great brisket IS SUPPOSE TO BE! I have been cooking 1 to 2 primes every single week since the november and there is a night and day difference! I really feel I'm going to hear ponderosa BBQ getting called up in the brisket cat this year Im not bragging it's just I have cooked alot of contests and just now I feel confident enough I have top tier brisket.

Rookie'48
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
You go, Moe!

ps - I woulda helped you get rid of the leftovers :-P.

didisea
01-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Brisket Chili has been served at our house many times
"what are we going to do with this fill in the blank with either pot roast or old boot brisket?"

I made a nice spaghetti sauce with the overcooked brisket just the other night...

cpw
01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
All I can say after cumming ga I went home and finally did what I been wanting to do I finally know what great brisket IS SUPPOSE TO BE! I have been cooking 1 to 2 primes every single week since the november and there is a night and day difference! I really feel I'm going to hear ponderosa BBQ getting called up in the brisket cat this year Im not bragging it's just I have cooked alot of contests and just now I feel confident enough I have top tier brisket.

So what was the trick? (if I'm allowed to ask :wink:) I can't cook a brisket to save my life.

Capn Kev
01-13-2012, 09:34 AM
There's not one particular trick. It's the culmination of good product selection, proper timing, good smoke, proper trimming, good seasonings, and TLC. If you're serious about it, I suggest taking a class. You will learn a lot.

In regards to the sauce question, I am in concurrence that the au jus is your best bet. Sauce will deter from the natural beef flavor that judges are looking for.

Kenny Rogers
01-13-2012, 09:42 AM
IMHO the brisket dripping (AKA Au Jus) is a juice made in heaven... I could drink it straight, and THAT is what brisket is supposed to taste like. I wouldn't use BBQ sauce, but wouldn't hesitate to use drippings for my turn in! It can only enhance the same flavor as the brisket. Just have to be careful of pooling of course.

Jacked UP BBQ
01-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Inject, rub, smoke, wrap, slice, sauce the **** out of it and send it in!