PDA

View Full Version : Threats at a BBQ comp???..what should we do?

big matt
01-02-2012, 11:26 AM
At the last few contests a guy has brought his son along..I've watched this kid(25 or so)bounce from camp to camp sponging beer and cigarettes and just kinda being in the way..well at this weekends last comp this same kid threatened another competitor who just had surgery.he actually told this guy he would f him up and this guy he threatened is twice his age..I really wanted to post this here for all to see and get the opinions of you all..I think this kid should be banned from any further contests..plus he doesn't even cook!

QansasjayhawQ
01-02-2012, 11:42 AM
You know what's really bad? I think I know who you mean.

What really should happen is that the person should be reported to the contest reps.

I would hope that the team would receive a warning and then with continued complaints, the team could even face disqualification.

CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION of a team, its
members and/or guests: A cook team is responsible jointly
and severally for its head cook, its team members and its
guests.
a. Excessive use of alcoholic beverages or public
intoxication with a disturbance.**
b. Serving alcoholic beverages to the general public.
c. Use of illegal controlled substances.
d. Foul, abusive, or unacceptable language or any
language causing a disturbance.
e. Excessive noise, including but not limited to that
generated from speakers, such as radios, CD players,
TVs, public address systems or amplifying equipment,
will not be allowed during quiet time, designated to
start at 11:00 p.m. on contest nights and will last until
7:00 a.m. unless otherwise determined by the event.
f. Fighting and/or disorderly conduct.
g. Theft, dishonesty, cheating, use of prohibited meats,
or any act involving moral turpitude.
h. Use of gas or other auxiliary heat sources inside the
cooking device.
i.*** Violation of any of the KCBS Cook’s Rules above, save
and except #9 – 13.**
Excessive or continued complaints from teams on any of
the above rule infractions shall be considered grounds for
immediate disqualification from the contest by KCBS
Representatives, Organizers and/or Security. In addition,
any violation of the above rules shall be reported to the
KCBS Board of Directors who may in addition to the above
disqualification impose additional penalties upon the team,
the head cook, and its members including but not limited to
disqualification from competing in KCBS events for a period
of time not to exceed five years. All complaints of
disturbance or violation of quiet time shall be reported to
the Board of Directors

watertowerbbq
01-02-2012, 11:48 AM
First, if he is 25 he's not a kid. If a recent surgery was profound enough to still be affecting your ability to be at a contest, stay home. Otherwise, that should not be an issue. Too many details missing. Security should have been alerted at the contest to remove anyone making threats. Banning people may sound good, but nearly impossible to enforce. If the guy is a tool, just avoid him.

big brother smoke
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
First I am hearing of this Matt. His arse should be banned from contests before he runs into the wrong site with his BS. Some of us have low tolerance for bullies and might get into a little trouble ourselves dealing with him.

Where was the security?

Rich Parker
01-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Do the idiot a favor and tell his dad because like BBS said he is lucky not to walk in to the wrong site and get an arse whoopin.

Q-Dat
01-02-2012, 11:55 AM
The powers that be need to first talk to the guy's father. If he does nothing to correct the situation then action should be taken on him.

SirPorkaLot
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
First, if he is 25 he's not a kid. If a recent surgery was profound enough to still be affecting your ability to be at a contest, stay home. Otherwise, that should not be an issue. Too many details missing. Security should have been alerted at the contest to remove anyone making threats. Banning people may sound good, but nearly impossible to enforce. If the guy is a tool, just avoid him.

Matt: With all due respect, I have a 25 year old, and yes they are still very much a kid.
Heck I am still working on maturing.

In this case, he should be reported to the organizers, on-site security, and an official complaint logged against the team through KCBS.

There is zero tolerance for such shenanigans where I compete.

big matt
01-02-2012, 11:59 AM

I hear ya there the guy he made the threats to is fine to be at a comp and a big enough man to not push it further..good choice on his part IMO..we are there to have fun and enjoy our time.

JD McGee
01-02-2012, 12:00 PM
This idiot is probably a mean drunk...I have babysat enough of them in my Navy days to know you can't talk sense to them when they're drinking...call security or the contest rep and let them deal with him! If he threatens someone again he might not be so lucky to walk away with all his teeth...just sayin'!

big matt
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
First I am hearing of this Matt. His arse should be banned from contests before he runs into the wrong site with his BS. Some of us have low tolerance for bullies and might get into a little trouble ourselves dealing with him.

Where was the security?

couldn't have been said better Steph!..I really don't know if i could be a big enough man to walk away if someone told me they would f me up..but i dont go to comps to get into any kind of confrontations..the worst part is this guy doesn't even cook with anybody..just a tarzan swinging!

LM600
01-02-2012, 12:03 PM
A comp. is a public place right? So, call the police and let them deal with the little sh*t.

Or just explain to him that some people take it for granted that they can chew their own food....:boxing:

Ron_L
01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
At the last few contests a guy has brought his son along..I've watched this kid(25 or so)bounce from camp to camp sponging beer and cigarettes and just kinda being in the way..well at this weekends last comp this same kid threatened another competitor who just had surgery.he actually told this guy he would f him up and this guy he threatened is twice his age..I really wanted to post this here for all to see and get the opinions of you all..I think this kid should be banned from any further contests..plus he doesn't even cook!

Can you clarify one thing, Matt? Is he on a team, or just visiting? If he's on a team then the matter should be brought up to he KCBS reps and they should deal with it according to the rule (in particular, d and f in the rule quoted above). If he's a visitor, then either the organizer or the local piloce should be involved.

big matt
01-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Can you clarify one thing, Matt? Is he on a team, or just visiting? If he's on a team then the matter should be brought up to he KCBS reps and they should deal with it according to the rule (in particular, d and f in the rule quoted above). If he's a visitor, then either the organizer or the local piloce should be involved.

Ron..no he's not on any team..he was tagging along with his dad who was lending out his equipment

Ron_L
01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Ron..no he's not on any team..he was tagging along with his dad who was lending out his equipment

Then, unfortunately, he's not under the jurisdiction of the KCBS or their Reps or rules. He should be reported to the local police or on site security if there is any.

Sylvie
01-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Hopefully his dad will read this thread. If not, then I think the dad might need someone to bring it to his attention before there are any further disruptions that may be embarrassing as well as resulting in some adverse outcome to all.

MilitantSquatter
01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Hopefully his dad will read this thread. If not, then I think the dad might need someone to bring it to his attention before there are any further disruptions that may be embarrassing as well as resulting in some adverse outcome to all.

I agree... if it's legit, someone should at least step up and bring it to the fathers attention to see how he responds first.. He can't address what he may not be aware of. That said, if he doesn't care or situation doesn't improve, then elevate it...

HoDeDo
01-02-2012, 01:25 PM
If he is the guest of the Dad, then he is the Dad's responsibility.... up until the point he is infringing on other's rights. At that point, if Dad can't keep him in check, then, security/police should be engaged. It's never worth it for a team to engage with an idiot like that. No use risking your $$/time invested on a drunk, that isnt going to listen anyway.

There is always one at an event.... could be a local, could be with a team... so as long as your organizer has security/ police in line, you shouldbe good to go.

We all run into "that guy" sometime or another...

bbqbrad
01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
If a recent surgery was profound enough to still be affecting your ability to be at a contest, stay home.

That should have nothing to do with it.

HarleyEarl
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Personally, I would work my way down the list provided at the contest - the organizer, the reps, and security would all be called whether this was at my site or if I witnessed it at another site. Hopefully that would take care of the situation. I would not call his daddy as that might escalate the situation. By no means would I get into it with him other than to ask him to leave - contests cost way too much for me to get kicked out due to someone else's stupidity.

If this is a reoccurring situation, the team who brings/invites him should take care of the problem themselves or be sanctioned according to the KCBS rules.

big brother smoke
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM

Welp we know who that is now :whistle:

Jacked UP BBQ
01-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I say just beat his ass and teach him a lesson. Even if you cant kick his ass, nothing a few hot charcoals to the face cant handle.

NorthwestBBQ
01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Call Johnny Trig. He packs heat.

jbrink01
01-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Johnny isn't the only one. Just sayin'..........

TooSaucedToPork
01-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Hogtie his a$$ and run him out on a rail. No room for that bs.:becky:

Seriously though,
We've delt with our fair share of drunk idiots. Hell, at big contests with large crowds, they are everywhere. If you know and respect his daddy, then give him a chance to control and fix the situtation. If dad won't acknowledge his son is out of line, then grab the security and cops, and get the guy out of the contest. Here is an example of what happens when you look the other way and let stupid people loose in your tent.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84888
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/051710_tent-busted-with-drugs-at-bbq-fest

It only takes one idiot to ruin the party and give us all a bad name...

Neil

Big Poppa
01-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Wow First off...This is an exception...the comps out here are just as im sre they are where everybody else is....great friends working hard to win but working harder tohelp out and hang out.

if you cant get along with Left Coast you have a serious problem...if you pick a fight with them are are pretty stupid too....

On the poster who said if you arent recovered from surgery then you shouldnt be at a comp...It is possible to not be recovered enough for a fight...but pork butt is fine.

ThomEmery
01-02-2012, 11:29 PM
No excuses
I apologize to all who had to witness this alcohol inspired stupidity
Some folks can not handle alcohol
Give em a few drinks say something derogatory and you got full on fool
He reacted very poorly to statements he heard with totally inappropriate behavior
I quit drinking in 1984 because of how it affected my own behavior
There are no plans for his attendance at future contests

CivilWarBBQ
01-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Thom, here in Dixie we'd have a chat with his daddy first, and if that didn't take care of it have the authorities toss him out. If he came back later and started trouble... well, there are plenty of big boys at every BBQ contest. They might just find that unpleasant fellow duct-taped to a tree come morning, bless his heart!

stubshaft
01-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Sounds like someone is just tired of living.
Just saying...

Big Poppa
01-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Civil, Thom is the Daddy. He gave a heartfelt apology and fixed the problem in the future.. I think that this is the last thing Thom wanted to deal with...Those of you who know Thom know he loves BBQ and the camraderie, spirit, and vibe of our sport and helps a lot of high profile cooks from elsewhere cook out here in the west.

Cue's Your Daddy
01-03-2012, 06:44 AM
.Let's be honest. Fighting him is the worst tning to do. Let's say you beat the crap out of him. Now the cops come. Now u have to file a report, you are now all jacked up, adrenaline runnihg crazy, and let's say the cops want to take u to the station. Well there goes the comp for you. How can you bring yourself back to a normal state of mind to think what u need to get done before turn ins.
Now let's say this kid beats the crap out of you. I know we all think we can win in every fight, except the ones with our wifes. So now what. Comp is over for you.
I always think the best thing is to make the competitors that you know aware of the situation. The whole strength in numbers thing. Also tell the teams that are near the situation. Know u have a bunch of people watching what's going on that can difuse a situation. And usually one person u tell knows someone else who can kind of help out as well. Alot of us aren't fighters anymore. We are lovers:-D
And I really think his dad knew what was going on. Maybe he was embarrassed. Not hard to know when your son is doing something like that. And if he didn't and you know and respect the man, say something to him. I am 36 and still listen to everything dad says. He competes with us. Dads always defuse situations.

Butcher BBQ
01-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Civil, Thom is the Daddy. He gave a heartfelt apology and fixed the problem in the future.. I think that this is the last thing Thom wanted to deal with...Those of you who know Thom know he loves BBQ and the camraderie, spirit, and vibe of our sport and helps a lot of high profile cooks from elsewhere cook out here in the west.

Very well said. I have traveled a couple times out West and used Thom's equipment. I have not ever met his son, but I have met his daughter. The Family is very nice, so folks don't throw the whole family under the bus because of one person. I don't think anyone here is doing that but I just wanted to say this before it got started.

CajunSmoker
01-03-2012, 06:54 AM
No excuses
He reacted very poorly to statements he heard with totally inappropriate behavior

Sounds like the situation is resolved. Way to step up Thom:thumb:

ThomEmery
01-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Thom, here in Dixie we'd have a chat with his daddy first, and if that didn't take care of it have the authorities toss him out. If he came back later and started trouble... well, there are plenty of big boys at every BBQ contest. They might just find that unpleasant fellow duct-taped to a tree come morning, bless his heart!

Gowan "If not for the grace of God there go I"

I suppose we could ask the feller present who never made a a$$ of himself when drinking
to do the taping
;0)
Good to hear from you Bud, Hope to see you down the trail

Just to be clear this was my older Son Chris not Kyle who has cooked many times in the past

JD McGee
01-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Yep...sounds like Thom is taking care of the situation...good on ya brother! I hope your son can learn from his mistakes as you have...before something serious happens to the lad! Good luck!

bbqfun
01-03-2012, 09:11 AM
It does not excuse the behavior at all, but, he sure did not get the drinks from Thom and he didn't bring any with him. I am one of the guilty suppliers and have talked to others and we were going to talk to Chris at the next comp.

Looks like Thom has taken care of it, maybe time to let it go.

"if you cant get along with Left Coast you have a serious problem...if you pick a fight with them are are pretty stupid too...." All very true and they are not as mean as they look, heck most of them have not been in prison for several years!!

Uncle T
01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I would have to agree Thom, I know when I was younger I used to make a a$$ out of myself most weekends.. I have even done a few stupid things not so long agao. i have a 25 year old son, who when he has a few beers he thinks he can whip the world (even if he couldn't stand up) yet when sober is respectful to everyone. I feel for you. Dont let this stop you from doing what you love to do.

Sledneck
01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Here in the northeast SmokeInDaEye makes a spectacle of himself at every contest, we are used to it.

HBMTN
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
I have been put in this situation (not at a competition) I was beside a 70 year old man who was getting upset at the foolishness of four 20 year old guy who were very annoying. When he requested that the young punks calm down one of them jumped up dead in the face of the old man and said "You better keep your mouth shut old man, us young people aint gonna put up with your sh!t" I must say he!! flew into me and my temper left my body and before it came back to me I was about to whip all of them and I aint no little boy. I told them you don't talk to your elders that way and if they did not set down and shut up - well you can fill the rest in.

So I know what I would do, I would kick is a$$ and suffer the consequences.

Jorge
01-03-2012, 06:26 PM
No excuses

I wasn't there, but I appreciate the fact that you stepped up and addressed it in public and with your son. That's the way it should be done, by more people, more often.

boogiesnap
01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Here in the northeast SmokeInDaEye makes a spectacle of himself at every contest, we are used to it.

wouldn't that be a "spectacular" of himself? being the spice fairy and all. :heh:

but, seriously, an arse is an arse, a mistake is a mistake. alcohol makes both. trust me i know. :icon_blush:

hopefully this is the latter and not the former. good on you thom to take ownership regardless.

you and yours are welcome in my camp anytime.

Muzzlebrake
01-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Thom, i'm sorry this happened to you. From the 1 or 2 times I have met you and from everything I have ever heard anyone say about you, you are a true gentleman and one of the class acts in BBQ. I can't imagine your family would be any different and form what others are saying, the other kids are chips off the old block. Sounds like your 25 y/o may be in one of those wierd places many of us visit from time to time. Hope he sorts out whatever he needs to.
Knowing how much smarter most 25 y/o's are then their fathers, keep bringing him around all his BBQ uncles. One of them will straighten him if he goes too far but won't go too far getting him straight if you know what i mean!

jbrink01
01-04-2012, 10:10 AM
What Jorge said!!! It's over and you took ownership. Kudos to you Thom Emery.

smokincracker
01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Step on his neck a little bit!

ThomEmery
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Dang Boys 2000 looks on de thread
Maybe shoulda had him act silly then corrected him when I was a runnin fo de board
Get me lots o votes ;0)

big brother smoke
01-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Its winter Thom what do you expect? :-P

Jorge
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Dang Boys 2000 looks on de thread
Maybe shoulda had him act silly then corrected him when I was a runnin fo de board
Get me lots o votes ;0)

You say that like getting elected would be a good thing?:-P:wink:

big matt
01-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Thom thank you for stepping up and taking responsibility..his actions were unacceptable ANYWHERE more so at a comp..I would also like to thank the mods here for letting the truth come out..this would have been swept under the rug on the CBBQA site.

ThomEmery
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
You say that like getting elected would be a good thing?:-P:wink:

LOL yes I have thought about that a few times 167 votes a different way and ......
The drama of the BoD would have been.....

ThomEmery
01-04-2012, 06:32 PM
This has been fun but it is time for me to move on

bbqbrad
01-04-2012, 09:33 PM
move on...

vafish
01-05-2012, 05:30 AM
I've never been to a bbq comp before, some buddies are planning on doing 3 or 4 this summer.

After reading this thread and seeing the adult manner most of you have responded with I am really looking forward to the company this summer.