PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Ole Hickory

Rub
12-26-2011, 11:55 AM
What are you guys using to de-grease your racks and inside of your OHs and SPs? Anything the average Joe can pick up? I notice Greased Lightening is not approved for use inside cooking units. Simple Green is, but it doesn't work as well as I had hoped.

big brother smoke
12-26-2011, 12:06 PM
They have Simple Green in more potent formulas that are degreasers you may want to try.

KentuckyLandSales
12-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Rub,

we rarely use a degreaser - because even if it says it's safe, I never trust the 'govt' to tell us the truth.

But when we do use this Oven cleaner - we wash, rinse, wash, rinse, repeat, repeat, etc.

We use this - and it works well - I get it at Sam's Club by me. and IT WORKS real well on the Ole Hickory Pits we have.

http://proforcecleaners.com/products/oven-grill-fryer-cleaner

KentuckyLandSales
12-26-2011, 12:45 PM
and yes, it comes in gallons - http://proforcecleaners.com/images/cache/images/uploads/Cropped_OGF_3_Quarts-135x247.jpg

kurtsara
12-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Rub,

we rarely use a degreaser - because even if it says it's safe, I never trust the 'govt' to tell us the truth.

But when we do use this Oven cleaner - we wash, rinse, wash, rinse, repeat, repeat, etc.

We use this - and it works well - I get it at Sam's Club by me. and IT WORKS real well on the Ole Hickory Pits we have.

http://proforcecleaners.com/products/oven-grill-fryer-cleaner

The government?

Rub
12-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Thank you guys!

PorkQPine
12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
A good commercial power washer does wonders.

KentuckyLandSales
12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Kurt,

yes, the gub - you know the guys who say this is wonderful and that is great for you to use --- then 25 yrs later they say, oops.

'Sorry, you really shouldn't use saccharin, red dye #xx or thalidomide.'

BigBellyBBQ
01-31-2012, 06:15 AM
for my Southern Pride 700 I get yer good and hot, then power wash..most of it comes off..I dont like to use soap, as the good stuff is a mild acid, however once pr twice a year, I get a gal from Sysco, heavy duty pan cleaner and spray it down and the hard stuff just melts off.,..about 28 bucks a gal...this stuff also kicks the crud off pans that you use in smoker and your pans look like new with one simple spary...but use gloves......and RINSE...RINSE..RINSE and run your smoker a few hours empty with some pork scraps

Ulcer Acres
02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Also call the guys that suck out grease traps. Chances are they will suck it out. Amazing what some brisket and pork will do.

RICK Allen
02-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Funny as it seems I use bilge cleaner as it is biodegradable and does not rust, then I hit it with my hot water pressure washer, cleans it right up :-D

Bbq Bubba
02-02-2012, 08:14 AM
What are you guys using to de-grease your racks and inside of your OHs and SPs? Anything the average Joe can pick up? I notice Greased Lightening is not approved for use inside cooking units. Simple Green is, but it doesn't work as well as I had hoped.

I'm thinking if you properly seasoned your pit there shouldnt be much clean-up inside except to scrape out the bottom once in a while. I have taken a hose and hot water to the inside but for the most part i wouldnt want to remove the seasoning i already have built up?