PDA

View Full Version : In Seattle for a week

cds9333
12-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Any places to eat in Seattle that I shouldn't miss (any type of food)?

I will be traveling to Seattle for a week (first full week in Feb) for work. I will be staying downtown near Pike Place and the Space Needle. I will not have access to a rental, but could justify a small taxi fare if needed.

Porkbelly
12-29-2011, 01:25 AM
When we stay near Pike Place there are two favorite stops for eats, neither fancy, but both excellent, to our taste buds. Across the street to the East (inland) from the Market proper (and near the original Starbucks) is Piroshky Piroshky, a Russian bakery offering almost anything you can imagine in a delicious meat pie. We usually get a variety and share. Says my wife, with her first mouthful, on our last visit: "This makes me happy!"

The second place is also on the periphery of the Pike Place Market; this on what they call the Market Steps. You walk 1/2 or 2/3 of the way down the steps on the Southern exterior of the Market, as if you were heading down to the waterfront. on your right you will find El Puerco Lloron, an authentic Mexican cafe. If not for the largely white clientele, you'd swear you were in some little town in Mexico. Not americanized, but authentic food and decor (hand made tortillas and loud, primary colors)

Hope your trip is great!

Porkbelly

cds9333
01-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Just wanted to say thank you and I am planning on eating at both of your recommenddations.

Maddog's
01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
#1.) When do you arrive?
#2.) Are you a competition cook?

I'll explain

Maddog's
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
As for eateries close by the Pike Place Market....Just ask most anyone, especially at your hotel, for directions to any of these. They are well known and all within an easy stroll. Pike Place Chowder, there at the market. It may spoil you for other places, though. The Pike Brew Pub - their own beer is super. Down on the waterfront very near the market you'll find the legendary Ivars (EYE-verz) seafood restaurant while my personal preference there is Elliott's Oyster House...both worth doing if you like seafood. Also a short walk away is the Triple Door... good food and entertainment. None are spendy. All are reliable. All are free to get to. By the way, Febuary in Seattle. Walking around. Hooded jacket and/or umbrella!

cds9333
01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
I arrive early afternoon on the 5th and leave at dawn on the 11th. Not a comp cook, though I would like to be someday. I have only done a couple very small (16 teams) non-sanctioned events. I do appreciate the tips.

Maddog's
01-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I see. We have a unique "Face the Judges" event coming up before you arrive. I was thinking we could get you over to watch, pitch in, eat, hang around, whatever you might like but the timing doesn't work out this trip. Do shout at me whenever you are coming back, though. The PNWBA would enjoy having you visit. I hope your visit is a good one and bon appetit !!