PDA

View Full Version : Wnter "reset"--getting back to basics

The_Kapn
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
We had a great year in 2009.
Seemed like it all went our way.
Then, for 2010 and 2011, we proceeded back to our "Dead Ass Middle" placings :redface:
Continued to tweak and make small adjustments to no avail.

I just took a hard look at what we are doing and found, once again, that we had a complicated process with a jillion flavors and steps to cooking.
You know how you add something like a flavor or cooking step and it never seems to get removed even if it don't help?

Back to basics time.

I am test cooking butts and briskets with minimal prep and seasonings.
Simply trim the exterior fat, a light coating of mild rub or a salt, pepper, and garlic mix.
No injection, no real added flavors.
Finding the taste of the meat once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna use just a mild finishing sauce or pan drippings and see what happens.

So far, we like what we are tasting and will probably stay as simple as possible for a few comps to see what happens.

Good project for the little bit of off season we have.

TIM

boogiesnap
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM
i like it!

ique
12-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I just took a hard look at what we are doing and found, once again, that we had a complicated process with a jillion flavors and steps to cooking.
You know how you add something like a flavor or cooking step and it never seems to get removed even if it don't help?

Back to basics time.

Good project for the little bit of off season we have.

TIM

Agree 100%. We often think about what to add when actually the question should be what can I remove?

My project is going to be figuring out the pellet cooker I just bought :shock: Yes, I've turned to the dark side. :-D

boogiesnap
12-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Agree 100%. We often think about what to add when actually the question should be what can I remove?

My project is going to be figuring out the pellet cooker I just bought :shock: Yes, I've turned to the dark side. :-D

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

what did you decide on?

ique
12-22-2011, 06:12 PM
:shocked::shocked::shocked:

what did you decide on?

Yoder 640

caseydog
12-22-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't compete in BBQ, but I have to wonder if there are "trends" the cycle through. One year, complex flavors are winning, and a couple years later, it's the basic flavors that are taking the trophies.

Have you noticed anything like this happening, and are you adjusting to it?

CD

JD McGee
12-22-2011, 07:04 PM
We "remodeled" our flavor profiles last year out of respect for my former cooking partner "swamprb" and our team "Left Hand Smoke"...we went back to basics and kept it simple...it's been working well for us so far! :thumb: We sought a balanced flavor profile with the focus being "offend no judge" as our mantra...:cool: