PDA

View Full Version : Hello all!

medicdave
06-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Howdy My name is Dave Im a paramedic from San Jose, Ca. I love to BBQ and Im trying to perfect the process. Im here to learn and give whatever help I can to folks.

My next big goal to tackle is pulled pork. I have no idea what it takes to roast a pig or how I should go about it. I have a medium sized Charbroil BBQ/grill pit style with a adjustable coal rack. Its nothin special but it gets the job done. Im also having problems with meat cooking to fast I meen like 2 hours. Im using white oak to cook with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Bill-Chicago
06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Welcome Dave

In the Q Talk forum, at the top of the page is a thread called Roadmap.

Scroll down and you'll see some pork threads that should help you out.

Glad you found the site.

BrooklynQ
06-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Welcome Dave! Another one from California. Looks like the MOFO's are becoming a minority now.

Are you looking to do pulled pork or roast a whole pig? Pulled pig is usually from the pork butt.

jt
06-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the site, Dave. Like Bill said, check out the Roadmap and then ask away!

medicdave
06-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Im looking to do pulled pork sandwiches with vinager sauce and slaw. Ill check out the roadmaps section. Any other ideas?

MrSmoker
06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the family Brother Dave.

Bigdog
06-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the site, Dave. Like Bill said, check out the Roadmap and then ask away!

Dave, I have used the recipe called: "Elizabeth Karmel's North Carolina-Style Pulled Pork" on page 154 of Steven Raichlen's book: "The Barbecue Bible." It includes a recipe for the pork, the vinegar sauce and the slaw. It is awesome.

Trout_man22
06-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Welcome,

Dave you have some fine people near you there in SJ. We'll get you going on the pulled pork, just remimber what ever we tell you here there are 20,000 other ways of doing it (and one or two of them are good)

medicdave
06-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome and advice!, I look forward to getting together with some folks from SJ and will definately look up that recipe Bigdog! Thanks!

Arlin_MacRae
06-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the sandbox, Dave!

spicewine
06-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Welcome Bro !!! Jump right in !!!

tommykendall
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Welcome San Jose Dave.

Bill-Chicago
06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Im looking to do pulled pork sandwiches with vinager sauce and slaw. Ill check out the roadmaps section. Any other ideas?

I would gather all the vinegar you can, and a double, no a triple, batch of slaw.

Dig a big ass hole (read hole) in your yard, then bury it

Sorry, you needed a proper welcome

chad
06-20-2005, 07:43 PM

I would gather all the vinegar you can, and a double, no a triple, batch of slaw.

Dig a big ass hole (read hole) in your yard, then bury it

Sorry, you needed a proper welcome

Bill is confusing slaw and pork with my lamb recipe!! :D

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Bigdog
06-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey, is that brother Shock in that end loader? :shock:

Aeynghus
06-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Greetings Brother Dave! Lots of good stuff here. Enjoy.

medicdave
06-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome this site is great! I wished I had a yard to dig a pit in! I live in an apartment my balcony is barely big enough to fit my BBQ and I pay more in rent than most pay for a mortgage. House prices here are rediculous.

nucleargeek
06-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Welcome bro. You'll learn lots of tricks in here.

The_Kapn
06-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the welcome this site is great! I wished I had a yard to dig a pit in! I live in an apartment my balcony is barely big enough to fit my BBQ and I pay more in rent than most pay for a mortgage. House prices here are rediculous.
Welcome to the Yard here :lol:
Keep an eye on BigMista (Neil). He lives in your neighborhood and works BBQ wonders from his balcony :lol:

TIM

tommykendall
06-21-2005, 08:54 AM
He lives in your neighborhood

No worries - he's more like 5 hours away. Hornbri however is closer.

Trout_man22
06-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the Yard here Laughing
Keep an eye on BigMista (Neil). He lives in your neighborhood and works BBQ wonders from his balcony Laughing

TIM

Tim,

Not to speak for mister but have you looked at a map? LA and SJ are 400 miles apart.

tommykendall
06-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Not to speak for mister but have you looked a a map? LA and SJ are 400 miles apart.

But the sweet smell of Q travels enormous distances

The_Kapn
06-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Keep an eye on BigMista (Neil). He lives in your neighborhood and works BBQ wonders from his balcony Laughing

TIM

Tim,

Not to speak for mister but have you looked at a map? LA and SJ are 400 miles apart.
To me, that is a neighborhood in the seething mass of humanity known as California :lol:
Lived in Bakersfield for 4 long years :evil:
I travel a lot-so 400 miles is nothin' :lol:
Chad and I are 301 miles "door to door".
Matter of perspective :wink:
TIM

Trout_man22
06-21-2005, 09:30 AM

TIM

Tim,

To me, that is a neighborhood in the seething mass of humanity known as California :lol:
Lived in Bakersfield for 4 long years :evil:
I travel a lot-so 400 miles is nothin' :lol:
Chad and I are 301 miles "door to door".
Matter of perspective :wink:
TIM

Well put, I am corrected. :roll:

parrothead
06-21-2005, 09:47 AM
welcome!

kcquer
06-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Welcome Brother Dave!!

icemn62
06-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Howdy My name is Dave Im a paramedic from San Jose, Ca. I love to BBQ and Im trying to perfect the process. Im here to learn and give whatever help I can to folks.

Im also having problems with meat cooking to fast I meen like 2 hours. Im using white oak to cook with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What temps are you cooking at? roasting pork in 2 hours? Sure you are not grilling cooking at to high a temp}

Welcome to another Cali Bro. MOFOs watch out, if we can ever figure out how to get together we SoCals may count for something.

Dave grab a cold one and enjoy the show, jump right in.

medicdave
06-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Im using a Charbroil Santa Fe so I have a large BBQ about 500 cubic inches but it doesnt have a separate fire box and the temp gage isnt real great. So I I have been just wingin it and trying to pay close attention to the meat so it doesnt overcook. I think my issue is Im building to big of a fire and its just to hot. Im gonna try for a smaller fire next time. First time I tried BBQ'ing with it I did Tri-tip and it took about 5 hours to cook it was like heaven! So I think if I cool the heat down and use a more accurate temp gauge Ill be ok. Gotta wait for payday for that though. Ill keep you posted.

By the way Im in the Bay Area not SoCal. Maybe we can do a halfway BBQ somewhere a weekend long party at a lake or something! Are there any other folks here besides supertoober from the Bay Area?

BBQchef33
06-21-2005, 11:15 PM
get yourself a few oven thermometers to help ya calibarate whats going on inside. or better yet, a probe type from bed, bath and beyond or linens & things. they run about 20 bucks.

the santafe will run hot on as little as a chimney piled on one side. I cooked on one recently at a friends and it took about 30-35 coals and a few chunks of wood to maintain 250. We had to pull a load of briquettes out to lower the temps.

Jeff_in_KC
06-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Welcome aboard, Dave! You found a great place!

icemn62
06-23-2005, 09:06 PM
By the way Im in the Bay Area not SoCal. Maybe we can do a halfway BBQ somewhere a weekend long party at a lake or something! Are there any other folks here besides supertoober from the Bay Area?

Check this thread, the thoughts of a Cali/West Coast/National bash day been discussed.

If you in Cali you are in Heaven, be it NoCal or SoCal.

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6548&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=9bc0b466c984c8a0f38c0ba6da7cee99

Neil
06-27-2005, 03:45 AM
Wecome aboard, enjoy what you learn and share what you know

BigAl
06-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Welcome :!: :D

frognot
06-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Welcome aboard, Bro Dave!