PDA

View Full Version : Pay Pal or other credit card for team registration?

carlyle
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
As our committee is working on our 2012 event, the idea was presented of offering on line registration with Pay Pal or another credit card system to pay for team registration.

If a credit card option for paying for your registration for a contest was

available, would you use it?

Yes? No?

If not, why not.

We do not want to go to the trouble and expense of setting this up unless we have some idea that the system will be used and appreciated.

We want your opinions.

dmprantz
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I would very much prefer credit card payment for competition payment, but it would really only make the most sense if you also had an on-line web form for the signup.

dmp

BasicPatrick
12-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Agreed...online application and digital payment is how I would most prefer to register

carlyle
12-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Did not make that clear in the initial post.

Having an online registration to fill in the fields and click "submit" is what we are considering for team registration.

Does not make sense to do that unless there is a payment option to go with it.

I used online registration for my judges last year and it worked great, was appreciated by the judges, and was easier for me too. Applicants received a copy of their data by return email to signify successful registration.

The success of that system with judges - with no fee payment mechanism needed, prompted us to consider this type of registration and payment for the teams.

Does that clarify?

big brother smoke
12-14-2011, 08:47 PM
I would love a paypal option and On-line form, it would make the process more seamless.

BBQchef33
12-14-2011, 08:49 PM
we did it for our contest, an almost ALL entries came in that way.

JD McGee
12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
We use paypal up here for most all our PNWBA comp payments. Just wish we had online registration forms though...we still have to mail those in.

Smoke'n Ice
12-14-2011, 09:01 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Rich Parker
12-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Online registration and paypal for payment would be awesome.

dmprantz
12-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Just to be clear on something though, I will not participate in a purely PayPal system. I am interested in having credit card payments. I know that PayPal (along with Google and Amazon) allow credit card payments, and that is great.

dmp

Lake Dogs
12-15-2011, 07:08 AM
I like the paypal option and would only use it. I understand dmprantz's not a purely paypal (kinda), but I wouldn't use one that doesn't have/use Paypal because I dont want my credit card information out there in too many places.

mobow
12-15-2011, 07:45 AM
yes. it is how I do it when it is available. keith

southernstyle
12-15-2011, 08:43 AM
online registration and paypal is the way to go

dmprantz
12-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Just to clarify a bit more, the reason why I would not use a PayPal only system is because PayPal has a reputation for seizing funds. You may think this will never happen to you, but if it only happened to people who expected it, I think there would be a lot fewer complaints. Before you accept transfers with PayPal, think about what you would do if they decided to seize your entry fees. As some one who has worked in the payments industry, I would rather work with a company who is legally obligated to give me my money and does not have a questionable reputation rather than some one who refuses to be a bank and can seize my money at any time. I like Amazon payments, but that's me.

dmp

carlyle
12-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.
There is representation from coast to coast and border to border - impressive.

dm - I see what you are talking about. Gave us something to look into before we enter into any agreements. Appreciate that.

Keep the comments coming.

HarleyGirl14226
12-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Online registration and PayPal (or some other credit card acceptance method) is the way we prefer to go. Makes life easier - plus we get the miles for our off-season travels!

Rookie'48
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Just to clarify a bit more, the reason why I would not use a PayPal only system is because PayPal has a reputation for seizing funds. . . Before you accept transfers with PayPal, think about what you would do if they decided to seize your entry fees. . .I would rather work with a company who is legally obligated to give me my money and does not have a questionable reputation rather than some one who refuses to be a bank and can seize my money at any time. dmp

My opinion is that I like PayPal. Are they perfect? No. But then I'm not a seller, just a buyer. Here's a link to where PayPal refunded my $$$ that I otherwise would have lost on a "failure to ship":

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112341&highlight=Seal4Less

In my case I like PayPal - but let's not even talk about their sister outfit "BillMeLater" :mad2:.

dmprantz
12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
My opinion is that I like PayPal. Are they perfect? No. But then I'm not a seller, just a buyer. Here's a link to where PayPal refunded my $$$ that I otherwise would have lost on a "failure to ship."

I'm glad they returned your money. As a consumer, you always have protection when you pay with a credit card. You are also not held liable for fradulent sellers. PayPal has a reputation confiscating funds from "suspected" fradulent sellers, and then confiscating funds from buyers who unknowlingly do business with them. I don't take my chances with that.

dmp

Rookie'48
12-15-2011, 03:42 PM
PayPal has a reputation confiscating funds from "suspected" fradulent sellers, and then confiscating funds from buyers who unknowlingly do business with them. dmp

I hadn't heard about this part. How do they get away with grabbing funds from buyers?

dmprantz
12-15-2011, 03:51 PM
The simple reason is that they aren't a bank in the US and thus aren't regulated. If you deposit funds with them and they choose to keep them, what are you going to do? You can call and ask for your money back, but supposedly they have a whole department of people who are paid to talk to you on the phone and continue to refuse to give you back your money. It seems costly to me, but that's what I've heard. You can try to sue them, but I'm guessing they have good lawyers on retainer. There are several places to read about this, one of the most popular is PayPalSucks.com.

In the end, some one could say that this is all hearsay. You've never had a bad interaction with PayPal, so why change your practices. That's fine, and I won't fault you for that, but I will suffer through sending in a paper check if the only other option is to have a PayPal account. Fortunately, PayPal usually accepts credit card these days.

dmp

Edit: here is a little more information. Believe it or not. It's up to you. http://www.paypalsucks.com/frozen-accounts.shtml

luckyduk
12-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Lyle,
I wish every contest would go to online payments and registration, of course with the option of mailing in payments if wanted.
If anyone else is like me, I wait til the last minute :wink:

Last year, the majority of the checks I wrote were for contests.

Fat Freddy
12-15-2011, 07:51 PM
I am one who likes the Paypal idea for entering contests. I could see where credit cards are useful too, and as long as my debit card will count as a credit card then I am fine with that too. I have worked hard to eliminate all the credit cards myself and my wife had. Paid the last one off August 16th :clap2:

carlyle
12-16-2011, 09:00 AM
This is great feedback. And we seem to have heard from all quadrants of the country.

dm - valuable feed back about pay pal, was not aware of this possibility.

Hey, Lucky Duk- great to hear from you and that you like this idea.
Fat Freddy - congrats on reducing the debt load.

I appreciate everyone's opinion.
Anyone else have something to add?

BoneDaddy's
12-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I am sure Paypal has it's issues, but it processes millions of transactions a week and is not in the business of stealing peoples funds as far as I know. I would love a webform and the paypal/ccard option. It would be even cooler if you could "network" contests together so you could register for multiple contests at once.

Bentley
12-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Yes, would use it.

jelser
12-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I'd use it too.

vraczka
12-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know if a contest or contest organizer has used PayPal for a contest that is being run under a local government? If so do they use their own PayPal account or does the government body open an account?

Thanks
Victor

Jeff_in_KC
12-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Like Bone's Daddy says above, PayPal processes millions of transactions each week. You can find a "SelectACompanySucks.com" for almost any big company. Someone's always getting pissed and starting a site like that. Doesn't make it true.

Uncle T
12-31-2011, 09:51 AM
I would use a credit card system deal, but not paypal.. they messed up and well it cost me over $2k. there system sucks as if you do not watch it, it takes the money first from paypal or your bank. Not the credit card... It is also not explained well when you use it for credit card.. Plus they won't put the money back in bank they only will put some of it in paypal and then you have to transfer it and that takes a few days.. Any ways I will never use paypal again.. I do like credit card exceptance though.

trueque
12-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Online registration and payment please. Quick, easy and trackable for end of year accounting.

Matt_A
01-01-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm going with an on-line registration form that feeds my database backend. This will ensure that nothing is lost or misinterpreted. I am planning on offering credit card payment and am still undecided if I want to offer an option to use Paypal, which charges a LOT for it's service. http://smokinupastorm.com (http://smokinupastorm.com/)

One important thing is to ensure the entry fees are carefully segregated from your other operating capital in your accounting system.

CBQ
01-01-2012, 12:41 AM
I work with a non-profit that uses PayPal all the time for credit card acceptance. You do NOT need a PayPal account to send a credit card payment via PayPal. Only the organizer needs one.

This should not be confused with the typical eBay usage of PayPal where people create accounts, link it to a checking account, and transfer funds to PayPal for buying items from eBay. You can use that type of account to pay for a contest, yes, but you really only need to enter your card card data using a payment button on a contest web site. No need to create a PayPal account.

For organizers, the fees are not bad, about the same transaction fee charges as a credit card merchant account would cost you, but you DO NOT need to set up a merchant account or pay a monthly merchant account fee. You set up a free PayPal account, and their their tools to create a payment button for your contest site. Pretty quick and easy.

bmanMA
01-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I agree with Paypal. No need to re-invent the wheel. They have it pretty figured out. Backend DB is really the easy part. Security, insurance, etc. That's where Paypal does a good job for both sides of the transaction. I suggest using it.

dmprantz
01-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I work with a non-profit that uses PayPal all the time for credit card acceptance. You do NOT need a PayPal account to send a credit card payment via PayPal. Only the organizer needs one.

This should not be confused with the typical eBay usage of PayPal where people create accounts, link it to a checking account, and transfer funds to PayPal for buying items from eBay. You can use that type of account to pay for a contest, yes, but you really only need to enter your card card data using a payment button on a contest web site. No need to create a PayPal account.

For organizers, the fees are not bad, about the same transaction fee charges as a credit card merchant account would cost you, but you DO NOT need to set up a merchant account or pay a monthly merchant account fee. You set up a free PayPal account, and their their tools to create a payment button for your contest site. Pretty quick and easy.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I personally would not have a problem with this type of system. From a consumer standpoint, I acknowledge that I don't need a PayPal account to pay with credit card and trust the transaction where I have chargeback rights. PayPal's fees are higher than if you had a retail operation, but it's worth it since acquirers don't like to open accounts for two months and have minimums and contracts. PayPal's fees are also in line with Google Checkout and Amazon Payments. Make sure you use the right "button" though: There was a recent situation where some one used the "donation" button when accepting PayPal payments to buy Christmas gifts for the needy, and PayPal reversed all the payments and locked accounts, but kept their fees because it was the wrong button, but wasn't really the wrong button. (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=paypal+regretsy). I think they may have paid their way out of the situation in the end though, so it worked out.

dmp

CBQ
01-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Just so there's no misunderstanding, I personally would not have a problem with this type of system. From a consumer standpoint, I acknowledge that I don't need a PayPal account to pay with credit card and trust the transaction where I have chargeback rights. PayPal's fees are higher than if you had a retail operation, but it's worth it since acquirers don't like to open accounts for two months and have minimums and contracts. PayPal's fees are also in line with Google Checkout and Amazon Payments. Make sure you use the right "button" though: There was a recent situation where some one used the "donation" button when accepting PayPal payments to buy Christmas gifts for the needy, and PayPal reversed all the payments and locked accounts, but kept their fees because it was the wrong button, but wasn't really the wrong button. (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=paypal+regretsy). I think they may have paid their way out of the situation in the end though, so it worked out.

dmp

Yes, the donate button doesn't take out the fees, but you have to be a certified 501(c)3 corporation to accept a no fee donation transaction. The organization I work with has a button like that, but we had to provide our IRS 501(c)3 determination letter to PayPal for that to work.

I am not saying PayPal is perfect, but it's easy to use, free to set up, and popular enough that people recognize the brand and will trust them with their credit card data. It's a good choice for an organizer, but I would recommend taking the time to set up a "Buy Now" button for the contedt web site. Paypal will create the HTML that you can embed on your web site using the online merchant tools. You can even add options to the button to vary the payments for things like site size, auxillery contest fees, etc.

Google Checkout and Amazon Payments, as you point out, are also good options.