PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship help

Rinky Dink
12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I know that a lot of teams would love to have a sponsor to help them, my question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach or get started on trying to obtain a sponsorship.
Do I start sending out feeler letters to every company I can think of or what. I know that a lot of big teams have hired agents to get them sponsorships but that still is a little out of my league.
I sat out of competions last year but my goal this year is I'm back and want to make some waves but I can't do all myself.
Any help from the great BBQ community would be greatly appreciated.

K-Train
12-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I started out by contacting my local butcher and offering to put up a banner for his store when we cook in return for discounted meat. He did one better and now supplies us with our meat for free. I'd start there. That's a good $$ saver.

TooSaucedToPork
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I know that a lot of teams would love to have a sponsor to help them, my question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach or get started on trying to obtain a sponsorship.
Do I start sending out feeler letters to every company I can think of or what. I know that a lot of big teams have hired agents to get them sponsorships but that still is a little out of my league.
I sat out of competions last year but my goal this year is I'm back and want to make some waves but I can't do all myself.
Any help from the great BBQ community would be greatly appreciated.

#1 use who you know - Poll your family, extended family, freinds, and neighbors and ask them if they are looking to get their personal business or their companies' name out there.

#2 Make a list of the best prospects and invite a few to a contest, to their place of business deliver enough of your product for 8-10 people, or better yet...do both

#3 if your prospects turn you down, go to the next bunch, until all prospects are eliminated

#4 if the above is exhausted you need leverage. Winning a contest will give you leverage. It proves you are a good investment. After winning a contest repeat steps 1-3

#5 BEG, Company-Owning Alpha personalities love desperation, it is intoxicating to them

#6 if all else fails feverishly write business plans and distrubute them all over your town like lost dog flyers...someone will bite :becky:

Sawdustguy
12-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Remember to emphasize what the benefits are for the potential sponsor. It's not a one way street. You don't get to take the money and run. The idea is to retain the sponsor instead of trying to find new ones each season.

Contracted Cookers
12-14-2011, 05:28 PM
ask many. even just charcoal or pellets help.

MilitantSquatter
12-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Here's some links of previous threads on the subject taken from the Comp section Roadmap

good advice here..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=950077&posted=1#post950077