PDA

View Full Version : Catering across a state line?

HBMTN
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I am in Virginia and have been asked to travel about an hour from my area into the state of West Virginia to cater an event. Does anyone know what I would need to do to see if this is legal? Will other states honor my legality in Virginia? My current plan is to call the comissioner of revenue and the local health dept in the WV area tomorrow and see what they say. I only want to do it if I can do it lawfully and figured some of you may have run into this before. Also this is kind of a one time deal and I won't be doing much business like this so do you feel it would be ok to explain this up front to the client and tell them I will be passing the fees (if any) on to them above and beyond my regular fees in order for us to provide service?

Bbq Bubba
12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
What do you have that shows your legit?
Contact the HD. You'll probably need to pay a permit fee but if your licensed it will be easy.
Absolutely pass on all extra fees to the client, make sure it's in the original bid.

HBMTN
12-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I have a Virginia Food Operation Permit to operate statewide. My business is incorporated in Virginia as well and I have a business license to operate in my county and most other counties with in the state will honor a catering business license from another county.

Bbq Bubba
12-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Then your gold! :)

Make the call and make everybody happy.

kurtsara
12-13-2011, 06:41 AM
I would guess you have to pay them and meet there rules, otherwise you could get licensed in the state with the most relaxed rules and cater all over.

BigFatDaddys
12-20-2011, 03:45 PM
We are based in one state but operate in several others.

*All of which require us to have tax id's per state, most can be opened online. Check with the tax department if you can do a special event one time or have to sign up and fill out forms every month or quarter.
*Check with local health department in that area, you may be required to file for a permit.
*Your insurance must cover you going out of state.

Good luck!