PDA

View Full Version : SAMS Club 2012???

quarters69
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Anybody got any insight on the SAMs events for 2012??

musicmanryann
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
From what I have heard--I know it is happening. I know the plan is to have more events in different locations. I know I wish I knew more. :wink: I am guessing a lot of information will be presented at the banquet, just like it was last year.

Rub
12-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Troy told me it's on! That's all I know...

Rich Parker
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
KCBS released the first 3 events at the last board meeting. I think New Orleans was one and Conroe, TX was one but don't remember the third

Pig Headed
12-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Tampa,FL 2/18, New Orleans,LA 3/3 and Conroe,TX 3/10 according to the Bullsheet.

HarleyEarl
12-05-2011, 07:19 PM
It would be nice if they posted all the events. I'm already planning for 2012 and would like to consider the Sam's clubs series, but if they wait too long, I might miss out again.

I also hope they plan better for the Midwest contests and not have them when the temps are pushing 100+, especially since they are on asphalt.

But then again, what do I know???

White Dog BBQ
12-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Really looking forward to this. Looks like they are starting earlier than last year, which should help. Definitely hope our friends in New England get something a little closer than Pittsburgh!

That being said, I'd love it if they did go back to Pittsburgh again!

dmprantz
12-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I was under the impression that they were going to vote on and approve all Sam's Club dates on 12/14. We should get a list that night or shortly thereafter if they discuss them in closed session.

dmp

quarters69
12-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Conroe TX had 1 last year, but looks like the other 2 are new sites. New Orleans and Tampa fl.

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
12-05-2011, 09:39 PM
would be fun to one, any close to Omaha?

roksmith
12-06-2011, 05:21 AM
I hope they shuffle the dates and locations around a bit so they don't conflict with the same local events they did last year. Spread the wealth a little bit.

Pigs on Fire
12-06-2011, 07:26 AM
There is no way this 'series' would be happening again if it weren't for the slim possibility of taking home some decent money after the first round.

The venues absolutely suck, at least in the South. On a blacktop parking lot in July and August, no running water, generator power only and as far as I know, the gensets FAILED within 3 hours at both Birmingham and Marietta.

No thanks to 2012.

Rich Parker
12-06-2011, 11:49 AM
There is no way this 'series' would be happening again if it weren't for the slim possibility of taking home some decent money after the first round.

The venues absolutely suck, at least in the South. On a blacktop parking lot in July and August, no running water, generator power only and as far as I know, the gensets FAILED within 3 hours at both Birmingham and Marietta.

No thanks to 2012.

I had a little bit of a power issue (Fowl Butt BBQ was powering a dozen CPAP machines :heh:) at the event in Traverse City, MI but overall I thought it was one of the best organized competitions and think the reps, organizers, and Troy Black did an outstanding job.

If I could compete all year at these venues I would.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
12-06-2011, 11:53 AM

No thanks to 2012.

Yes, but they have shopping carts. Endless possibilities. I'm in for 2012 :laugh:

DawgPhan
12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I had a little bit of a power issue (Fowl Butt BBQ was powering a dozen CPAP machines :heh:) at the event in Traverse City, MI but overall I thought it was one of the best organized competitions and think the reps, organizers, and Troy Black did an outstanding job.

If I could compete all year at these venues I would.

In Georgia, it probably wouldnt rank in the top 20 of best organized contests in any year.

nukenight
12-06-2011, 12:14 PM
The KCBS Board better pay attention to the dates. There is a sanctioned event less than 45 miles from New Orleans on 3/3/12 that will have about 50 teams. This other event has a state proclamation, has plentiful running water and power, and pays down more places in each category than Sam's. Besides, the registration fee for this other contest is $100 less than the proposed Sam's event to raise money for St. Jude. In spite of what was said about "no objections" in the Nov 30 Special Meeting, I raised this very objection and was totally ignored. I guess you reap what you sew.

roksmith
12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Money talks. My guess is... Where/When Sam's wants an event, there will be an event.
I do wish they would eliminate the need to utilize shopping carts to haul water and figure a way to run a stinking garden hose to the competition area this year.

Big Ugly's BBQ
12-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, but they have shopping carts. Endless possibilities. I'm in for 2012 :laugh:

Shopping cart drag races, who's in??

roksmith
12-06-2011, 02:09 PM
The hundred yard huff and puff :-P
Make sure the EMTs are there and I'm in!!

Jorge
12-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Many teams would require a flatbed:wink: Just sayin:wink:

Divemaster
12-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Did that last year at Evergreen Park...

boogiesnap
12-06-2011, 03:31 PM
The hundred yard huff and puff :-P
Make sure the EMTs are there and I'm in!!

make it 25 yards and i'm game. :icon_blush:

lcbateman3
12-06-2011, 03:39 PM
It rained and rained and rain in Va. Didn't have a horrible time. Power was decent for us. Had issues with getting water. Depending on dates/location if we are in or not.

Coz
12-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Other then the fact I cooked like crap at Indy and Cates tryed to burn my new truck down with the ash barrels we may do it again.

Q-Dat
12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
So wait a minute. Are they relocating the one in Baton Rouge to New Orleans, or are they gonna have both?

sitnfat
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
We had a blast they need to loosen the drinking rules in Bentonville though that to me was the worst part. It's hard drinking beer through a coffee cup lid

Rich Parker
12-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Ouch!

nukenight
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Relocating Baton Rouge to New Orleans....I don't know specifically which Sam's they are considering......

Kit R
12-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Love those shopping carts. Nice touch in Laurel. We're in for 2012, too. And you'll be happy to know Dan that I will hook you up with Wicked Good lump again. For a price, of course. And after I allocate some for my own Backwoods! :-P

Kit R
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
It rained and rained and rain in Va. Didn't have a horrible time. Power was decent for us. Had issues with getting water. Depending on dates/location if we are in or not.

Don't forget the rain in Laurel. That sucked as well. But not as much as the outcome for us. :cry:

Kit R
12-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Why didn't we think of this in September?

Jorge
12-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Ouch!

I wasn't just citing girth. With my worn out knees, the comedy would be in watching me TRY to get out of a cart!

Smoke'n Ice
12-06-2011, 06:34 PM
I wasn't just citing girth. With my worn out knees, the comedy would be in watching me TRY to get out of a cart!
George,
First you have to get into the cart :tape:

Muzzlebrake
12-06-2011, 07:28 PM

In Greensboro they called that the "truck series"

The contest I did last year wasn't the best organized event on my calender and the no water thing was a PIA but I it wasn't poorly run. I'm going to try and do it again this year.

There may be some conflicts and bumps along the way but I think the format is still very cool.

dmprantz
12-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I was in Birmingham (Trussville) and I really didn't have a problem. Water was a slight pain, but the shopping carts made it much better. That and the fact that we keep a cooler of hot water on site, and the friendly RV next to us. I guess if we used a sink it would have hurt us more. The power wasn't on when we got there, and it was late, causing us an issue, but another RV owner let us feed off of him when we needed to. I honestly don't think that was the fault of KCBS or the organizer. The genie didn't work. Does any one know differently? The organizer was very understanding and helpful and had at least two contingencies for it in place. I enjoyed the setup, and my biggest problem was that check-in was much longer than it should have been, but that's par for the course. To me, comps fall into three categories: The ones that don't really care about the cook teams and do things to screw them up with disregard, the ones that bend over backwards to help cook teams, and all the rest. Sam's Club Birmingham seemed to be right in the middle to me. No complaints, and if there's one close enough, I'll go again.

dmp

Dan - 3eyzbbq
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Love those shopping carts. Nice touch in Laurel. We're in for 2012, too. And you'll be happy to know Dan that I will hook you up with Wicked Good lump again. For a price, of course. And after I allocate some for my own Backwoods! :-P

Nah, I got you this time thanks to the BBQ Equipment store :thumb:

lcbateman3
12-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Don't forget the rain in Laurel. That sucked as well. But not as much as the outcome for us. :cry:

Don't remind me.....:sick:

RangerJ
12-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I guess those that don't like heat or asphalt wont' or should not compete. Hell, if its in the bottom 20 of events, I'll expect Georgia to not provide a team in this event.

I love the tournament format, regardless of my not advancing last year. I'll be back, rolling water in a shopping cart, standing on black top and whatever else is needed to compete in this series. I don't need to be invited to get to the big show, I just have to cook my way in.

Smokedelic
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
We'll be in for '12, wherever we can get in. Bentonville is sweet in October.:becky:

DawgPhan
12-08-2011, 07:57 AM
I guess those that don't like heat or asphalt wont' or should not compete. Hell, if its in the bottom 20 of events, I'll expect Georgia to not provide a team in this event.

I love the tournament format, regardless of my not advancing last year. I'll be back, rolling water in a shopping cart, standing on black top and whatever else is needed to compete in this series. I don't need to be invited to get to the big show, I just have to cook my way in.
:roll:

Bigmista
12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
We had cold wind and rain in Gilbert, AZ and we still had a good time. A bunch of us rented U-Haul box trucks from across the street and setup our prep stations in the back. (Thanks Harry Soo for the idea!) It was a lot warmer and dryer for those of who can't afford RV's.

JD McGee
12-08-2011, 10:41 AM
We're tossing the idea of doing the Sam's Club events this year...it depends on where the local and regionals will be...

Jeff_in_KC
12-08-2011, 08:07 PM

No thanks to 2012.

The July and August events in the midwest and south should be changing. I voiced my opinion on that and was told that issue was definitely being taken into consideration for 2012. As far as your generator and water issues, come cook in Missouri and Kansas where many, many times, generators are all we have. And running water at the individual sites happened like twice this year (in 13 contests) and maybe three or four times in 27 contests in 2010.

DawgPhan
12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
The July and August events in the midwest and south should be changing. I voiced my opinion on that and was told that issue was definitely being taken into consideration for 2012. As far as your generator and water issues, come cook in Missouri and Kansas where many, many times, generators are all we have. And running water at the individual sites happened like twice this year (in 13 contests) and maybe three or four times in 27 contests in 2010.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you guys in the midwest put up with that stuff. Crappy power, no water and sub $10k payouts? no thanks.

In georgia I can have my pick of $10k+ contests all with water and power at your site.

sitnfat
12-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Misread post :icon_blush:

JD McGee
12-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out why you guys in the midwest put up with that stuff. Crappy power, no water and sub $10k payouts? no thanks.

In georgia I can have my pick of $10k+ contests all with water and power at your site.

Lucky you! Up here we're lucky to get 5 grand per comp...water never seems to be an issue though...just put out a rain barrel!

Brauma
12-10-2011, 04:42 PM

I'm in.

Mike - CSBBBQ
12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
We are going to be in for 2012. I'm confident there were lessons learned and improvements have will happen. Don't see the water getting fixed. Carts made it easier heck you have to carry from the buffalo at the AR. As for the races I'm in if I get Ugly's Jason to push!

Kit R
12-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Nah, I got you this time thanks to the BBQ Equipment store :thumb:

Sounds like a plan to me!

INmitch
12-10-2011, 09:39 PM

$13k plus later. I'll take my 3 buckets up n fillem up to hold ez ups down..........plus the CPAP's never missed a beat.:becky: Sorry Rich!!:heh:

BasicPatrick
12-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Hey I'm not trying to take a side here or anything but reading the complaints about the water I keep asking myself what happens to the water after it is used? I understand some "disposal" can be overlooked at a contest in a field but on concrete outside a major retail building dumping water would be a very large issue no matter where you are.

Big Ugly's BBQ
12-11-2011, 08:58 AM
We are going to be in for 2012. I'm confident there were lessons learned and improvements have will happen. Don't see the water getting fixed. Carts made it easier heck you have to carry from the buffalo at the AR. As for the races I'm in if I get Ugly's Jason to push!

Only after he's done pushing me.................

Rich Parker
12-11-2011, 09:15 AM
$13k plus later. I'll take my 3 buckets up n fillem up to hold ez ups down..........plus the CPAP's never missed a beat.:becky: Sorry Rich!!:heh:

As sound as you guys sleep, I am thinking about getting a face guru to give it a try.

Hey I'm not trying to take a side here or anything but reading the complaints about the water I keep asking myself what happens to the water after it is used? I understand some "disposal" can be overlooked at a contest in a field but on concrete outside a major retail building dumping water would be a very large issue no matter where you are.

Unless RVs are dumping their tanks, I don't think some 5 gallon buckets are going to cause much of a problem in such a large parking lot.

cdkeach
12-11-2011, 09:58 AM

On a blacktop parking lot in Georgia, in August, water doesn't last very long. You could empty a swimming pool in a Sam's Club parking lot and it would quickly evaporate.

Smokedelic
12-11-2011, 10:35 AM
At the Sam's events that we did, they provided disposal containers for gray water.

SlicksBBQ
12-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Depending on location we are in again as well. Thought the contests in Chesapeake, VA and Laurel, MD were decently run. No major issues except the rain and not getting our briskets cooked.:oops:

Cloudsmoker
12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Really? Appreciate your insight, Dawg. What little I had heard was positive, but that was pretty second hand info.

dmprantz
12-14-2011, 03:36 PM
EDIT: I just went back to look and noticed that the Sam's Club events are mentioned as being included, and then specifically excluded, but there is mention of a DSM event.

For those who missed it, there's a big list of dates in tonights meeting agenda:

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=439

dmp

dmprantz
12-14-2011, 08:24 PM
The BOD just voted to approve the 2012 locations and dates, and I believe the rules are not going to change. No real news in open session except that there will be a competition is DSM. I'll actually be paying very close attention to that one!

dmp

sitnfat
12-14-2011, 09:30 PM
What's DSM??

White Dog BBQ
12-14-2011, 10:28 PM
EDIT: I just went back to look and noticed that the Sam's Club events are mentioned as being included, and then specifically excluded, but there is mention of a DSM event.

For those who missed it, there's a big list of dates in tonights meeting agenda:

dmp

The Sam's Club events aren't listed there now. Is there a definitive list out anywhere? I'd love to know if they are doing Pittsburgh, PA again.

dmprantz
12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Sorry Mick. My company has an office in Des Moines (DSM), which is why I am used to abbreviating it, and also why I am interested in events there. Sam's Club events were discussed in closed session, but three have already been approved. One more, (Des Moines) was mentioned and passed without notice of date. At another point in the meeting, it was mentioned that 31 events were discussed during closed session, and later approved. That is either 34 Sam's Club events (3 + 31) or 31, but in either case, there will be more this year than last, and four of the cities have been published. I'll anxiously await the full list.

dmp

dmprantz
12-14-2011, 11:50 PM
I could be wrong. That could be 31, or even 34, total events including regionals and Bentonville. Maybe less, maybe more, but like I said, I'll wait now for the announcement and hope there's a local close enough to me. There were three last year!

dmp

Pig Headed
12-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I could be wrong. That could be 31, or even 34, total events including regionals and Bentonville. Maybe less, maybe more, but like I said, I'll wait now for the announcement and hope there's a local close enough to me. There were three last year!

dmp

Then this won't bode well with you. It's from the KCBS website:

"The Sanctioning Committee recommends approval of all new and existing contests listed in the December New/Change Request Report with the exception of the Sam's Club Des Moines, IA contest and the new Grandview, MO. We questioned the density of teams for both locations."

dmprantz
12-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I was reporting what was discussed in the meeting last night. They talked about all the dates (presumably including DSM) in closed session, but when they came out, they voted to approve all of them including DSM.

Thanks,

dmp

Pig Headed
12-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I was reporting what was discussed in the meeting last night. They talked about all the dates (presumably including DSM) in closed session, but when they came out, they voted to approve all of them including DSM.

Thanks,

dmp

That's cool, sorry, just posting what I saw on their website. I'm hoping for one in my area too.

Rookie'48
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
I gotta see who signs up for the one in DSM. I might just try to judge that one :rolleyes:, depending on the dates. There's enough top-notch teams in Iowa that this could be one of the toughest comps around :grin:.

dmprantz
12-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Lots of good teams in the area. I was paying close attention to Smokin in the Junction since my company's office is in West Des Moines, but it's a Sat-Sun contest, and my closest local comp is the same weekend. I'm really hoping this one fits into my schedule better, but I'm gonna be up there for the World Pork Expo in June too, so gotta see where everything fits! Depending on where else they have a Sam's event, DSM would likely be my secondary location if it doesn't fill up.

dmp

JD McGee
12-15-2011, 07:28 PM

dmp

Not one single solitary KCBS event in the Pacific Northwest...freaky! :tsk:

Smoke'n Ice
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Within a 100 mile radius of Seattle, there are less than 5 Sam's Club. There are more Costco's than you can shake a stick at in the same area. Where I live in Plano, within a 20 mile radius there are more than 15 Sam's club. This includes the new "Double Deck" Sams/Walmart configuration with a liquor store and gas station, covered parking, elevators, valet parking, etc.. There is not a contest at a Sam's in my area either. Bang for the buck.

ThomEmery
12-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Double Deck Sam's Walmart
That is a interesting

quarters69
12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Anybody know if the board passed the SAMs comps?? If so when do you think it will be released??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arrowhead
12-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Anybody know if the board passed the SAMs comps?? If so when do you think it will be released??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the board quick notes said the 2012 contests were approved, but no mention of when the dates will be released.

Smoke'n Ice
12-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Double Deck Sam's Walmart
That is a interesting
Three Parking level, two are covered. Walmart on the top deck and a Sam's on the lower level in an L shaped configuration. Gas station for both along with a liquor store with the lowest prices in town (Dallas). The wave of the future.