View Full Version : Smoker on trailer for rent +.

11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I have a large Large Spicewine on a trailer and was pondering the idea of renting it out to people for their own use. Now I am thinking if they want to rent a cook along with it and hired me or someone else to set it up and cook the food on location, would I need a license from the health department?

I don't want to cater and invest in all the equipment. Thought this would be an easier way to do it.

I live in Mo and I know I can call the health dep but thought I would see what you all think about it, I mean the rental aspect of it all, thanks.

11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
The only thing I can think of would be insurance.
Some joker would rent it, burn his self and then try to sue you over it.

11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Check to see what the license requirements are for being a Personal Chef in your state. (have never researched MO)

We have looked into the same type of arrangement in KS and it does fall under the PChef category and does not require a food license as long as you are cooking on site and not bringing cooked foods with you. They are just paying for your services....you are not "selling cooked food to the public".

Depending on how involved you want to get you could set it all up under an LLC, for renting the equipment out, to help mitigate liability. That is the route we are going.

Definitely check on the insurance angle though. Both liability and equipment. That is the one that can bite you. :shocked: