PDA

View Full Version : Draper Valley Farms Chicken

bingo1912
11-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I am curious as to what brand of chicken people are using for comps. I haven't gone down that road,,, yet. But I have noticed a significant difference between "Southern grown" and the local Draper valley, the latter being far superior to any other I have tried.
I recently bought a 6.5 lb Draper Valley roasting hen and couldn't believe how much more flavor it had than my usual cheapo chicken.
Are there comparable products down south? Is Lynden chicken available there? I
(From Lynden Washington)
(Draper Valley Farms)

indianagriller
11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Kroger brand...

Candy Sue
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
My favorite is 2 lb. Tyson birds in a 2 pack. Cut them up myself. No. 2 choice is Smart Chicken.

luckyduk
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I used smart chicken a good part of the year, then did a test cook against hy-vee brand country pride, side by side everyone liked the cheapo chicken :doh:.
Not that I do good in chicken though

boogiesnap
11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
i've done extensive chicken testing.

perdue's "all natural" wins every time in taste, tenderness, and moisture.

for comps, that is.

otherwise, it's hard to beat a good bell and evans.

MoKanMeathead
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
We always used Smart chicken this year...tried to find family packs (8 thighs) at least 3.5lbs - which wasn't always easy. Even then there was a fairly wide discrepancy in the sizes of the individual thighs. Usually only got 6 good trimmed thighs out of one family pack.

Oh and our results were great at the beginning of the year...not so much at the end of the year, and I don't think we changed anything.

Rich Parker
11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
I cooked Miller Amish Country Poultry last year and it did well.

swamprb
11-29-2011, 07:49 AM
We used Draper Valley thighs and whole birds for the majority of our 2011 events because that is what our sponsor carries. We sucked at chicken this year.

I prefer Albertsons Family Pack Thighs, and the fattier, yellower and more hormones added the better for our Judges! Kroger and Safeway are next on the list - they are all Foster Farms B grade anyway.

bingo1912
11-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Whoah! dude! is that what you been feedin us! :brushteeth:
LOL

We used Draper Valley thighs and whole birds for the majority of our 2011 events because that is what our sponsor carries. We sucked at chicken this year.

I prefer Albertsons Family Pack Thighs, and the fattier, yellower and more hormones added the better for our Judges! Kroger and Safeway are next on the list - they are all Foster Farms B grade anyway.