PDA

View Full Version : Practice

big brother smoke
11-18-2011, 09:19 AM
We are talking about "practice."

My guests this year for Thanksgiving are getting brisket and ribs for dinner along with the traditional turkey.

How many of you have started practicing for next year's comps?

We do have a back to back comp the second weekend in December, so my practice is a little more urgent.:-P

sitnfat
11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I will be getting a new smoker in a few weeks so I will be doing a lot of practice before March gets here. I knew how Lena "my old stickburner" would act in all differant types of weather conditions and how to adjust to them. Once i get this new stumps loaded onto the back of the BBQ villa I will be working on become just as familiar with it.

Fat Freddy
11-18-2011, 09:44 AM
I did a couple of backyard comps this year and plan on doing my first 5 KCBS next year so I have already started practicing. I have got my pen and paper and plan on doing each of the meats 5 different ways on different cookers. So far i have done chicken and found a technique I like now have to work on flavors.

I will be doing this for each one so i got a LONG ways to go.

Fatback Joe
11-18-2011, 09:54 AM
How many of you have started practicing for next year's comps?

I try to make every single cook a practice.

bover
11-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Got a bunch of family coming to town for Christmas so I'm planning on doing some practicing around then. Their feedback is always 100% honest, so I'm definitely going to take advantage.

mobow
11-18-2011, 10:03 AM
2 varieties of brisket being cooked. Family loves it when I practice. keith

huminie
11-18-2011, 10:23 AM
With the last comp of the calendar year on 12/31/11 and the first comp of next year on 1/1/12, there won't be much time to practice between seasons!!!

Podge
11-18-2011, 10:28 AM
I started practicing last weekend.. yer behind ! .. going to cook again on friday/saturday of thanksgiving weekend.

boogiesnap
11-18-2011, 10:32 AM
if it's a comp meat, it's a practice...unless i get a specific no "chemicals" request, which i don't use too much of anyways.

smokeyw
11-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm also doing a brisket along with a turkey. It seems that lately, every time I cook a KCBS entry meat at home it ends up being a practice. I love doing it but sometimes want to just cook something without self inflicted pressure :doh:

Scottie
11-18-2011, 12:33 PM
I practiced the first 3 weekends after my season ended. Playing with some things with chicken and ribs on the Jambo.

JayAre
11-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I practiced last weekend, did four big ol briskets. next up, damn chicken.

boogiesnap
11-18-2011, 12:54 PM
farkin chicken.

smokeyw
11-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I hate chicken....at least competition chicken :tsk:

big brother smoke
11-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Chicken is the Devil :drama::mad:

Muzzlebrake
11-18-2011, 04:44 PM

try seducing him if ya know what I mean.........:becky:

lcbateman3
11-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Yep, will be working on it the day after.

Cooking a SRF Brisket and a CAB. Also doing pork, ribs and some new chicken.

Every chance I get while at home I will practice. With me traveling for work it gets cut down a lot so I got to get it in when I can. My wife coworkers are happy though.

Rich Parker
11-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't need no stinkin practice!

Chipper
11-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Doing several racks of ribs for a party. Little do the guest know that I am actually practicing for next year. Different rubs, sauces, wood, and times all going to be a little different.

Sylvie
11-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I did a practice brisket last night. This verified that something is wrong with my sensor1/blower1 sensor on my Stoker. In that after 6.5 hours at 250 degrees, the whole brisket (flat and point) were over 200 with very burnt ends, I know the temps had to have a major fluctuation during the night (how about hot and fast but not intended) . Now I need another practice to watch what went wrong.

Crash
11-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Pretty much every cook is a practice cook for us. Always trying to tweak something to find the perfect balance......and we dont even compete any more.

Insanity! :crazy:

JD McGee
11-19-2011, 09:29 AM
We're practicing tommorrow on butts and briskets...just don't tell the HNF class folks...lol! :twisted: Let's just say we're expecting the flavor profile to be "Simply Marvelous"...:thumb:

big brother smoke
11-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I did a practice brisket last night. This verified that something is wrong with my sensor1/blower1 sensor on my Stoker. In that after 6.5 hours at 250 degrees, the whole brisket (flat and point) were over 200 with very burnt ends, I know the temps had to have a major fluctuation during the night (how about hot and fast but not intended) . Now I need another practice to watch what went wrong.

Yea, you got to fix that before Vista next month, damn!:shock:

big brother smoke
11-19-2011, 10:29 AM
We're practicing tommorrow on butts and briskets...just don't tell the HNF class folks...lol! :twisted: Let's just say we're expecting the flavor profile to be "Simply Marvelous"...:thumb:

Go get them, bro! I hope the class turns out good.:clap2:

SmokinGuitarPlayer
11-19-2011, 11:55 PM
PRACTICE Brisket going on tonight!
Prime Rib and Spatchcock turkey on Thanksgiving!
FB/SGP

Meat Man
11-20-2011, 10:09 PM
We are planning to compete at the Arizona State Championship in Havasu at the end of January. It will be our first comp, would have liked to start out on a smaller platform, but there isn't many comps in Utah during the winter. We've been working hard on our chicken, and dialing in our butt and rib flavor profile. Brisket is next. Can't wait!

Sylvie
11-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Yea, you got to fix that before Vista next month, damn!:shock:
I'm working with Rock to troubleshoot. Still not sure what happened. Gonna do another cook for Thanksgiving with his suggestions.

JD McGee
11-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Go get them, bro! I hope the class turns out good.:clap2:
We had a great class...the butt and brisket turned out perfect despite opening the smoker every hour then every half hour to allow the class to poke the meat. I wanted them to get the "feel" for how the meat was cooking at different stages and finally what it "felt" like when done. I think they left with a good understanding that you do not need to be wired to the gills or to rely too heavily on cooking by temp...rather cooking by "feel". :thumb: The class was all about "texture" and cooking the meat properly every time...that is one thing they can control! :becky:

The Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub worked great for high heat...the initial rub (1 hour before) followed by an additional rub (15 minutes prior to tossing it on the bullet produced an awesome sweat (almost a cold glaze). It formed a bark very quickly allowing the meat to cook quicker from the inside and made for a very juicy/tender product...without injecting! :thumb:

Now...let's get that Simply Marvelous Brisket Rub up here brother so I can test drive it! :cool:

indianagriller
11-21-2011, 01:23 PM
I just threw on a 19lb CAB brisket with a new brisket rub... my birsket was pretty good last year but i felt i left a few points on the table as far as taste go...

Divemaster
11-21-2011, 03:38 PM
damn chicken.

farkin chicken.

I hate chicken....at least competition chicken :tsk:

My chicken is a major malfunction... I'll be spending a lot of time on it this winter...

Other than that, every cook is a learning experience...

chambersuac
11-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Wait! What? I'm supposed to PRACTICE??? That 'splains it!

big brother smoke
11-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Glad the class was a smashing success, JD!

Kit R
11-22-2011, 09:37 AM
My chicken is a major malfunction... I'll be spending a lot of time on it this winter...

Other than that, every cook is a learning experience...

Chicken........

October 15, chicken is 44th out of 47 in Chembersburg PA (but 47 was a DQ). On October 22, it's 10th out of 89 at the Jack. Just when I'm ready to blow it up, things go well. And don't even get me started about our 3rd place chicken in Lexington NC I bought at the local market because the product we brought was spoiled. After mid-pack chicken finishes at the next two comps, I was beginning to think "road trip Lexington" and then boom 2nd place in Frederick MD.

Yes, chicken is Satan's white meat.

big brother smoke
01-31-2012, 09:33 AM
I farking think I got my ribs dialed back in. Practice....