PDA

View Full Version : BBQ in Manhattan?

Ron_L
11-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I read through this thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74023), but it's a couple of years old.

I'm going to be in Manhattan for a few days in early December on business and the team asked me if there was any place to go for good BBQ. We're staying near the Empire State building (35th between 5th and 6th) but we can cab almost anywhere. It looks like it will be a group of between 12 and 15 people, so someplace that will take a reservation is needed.

Suggestions?

BTW, if a place is run by a Brother/Sister, or we have a contact there that would be great. Maybe we can get a little special treatment.

deguerre
11-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Shouldn't you be asking about Pizza Mr. Chicago?:becky:

OK, off to the PB.

Ron_L
11-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Shouldn't you be asking about Pizza Mr. Chicago?:becky:

OK, off to the PB.

You mean sauce and cheese on a cracker? :becky:

:behindsofa:

Westexbbq
11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Be sure to check with, pm, Matt aka backyardchef. He is back at RUB in Manhattan now.

Ron_L
11-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Be sure to check with, pm, Matt aka backyardchef. He is back at RUB in Manhattan now.

Thanks! Do you know how long he has been back? The recent reviews on Yelp are mixed at best.

Gore
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey, what happened to Research Triangle Fark? :confused:

Westexbbq
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
He just returned about a couple weeks ago after having been out in East Meadow helping the new location get up and running. Not sure about "yelp" but many of us have had great meals at RUB. If time permits, be sure and check out Hill Country too..

cmcadams
11-15-2011, 11:27 AM
I really liked Daisy Mae's, Adam Perry Lang's place in Hell's Kitchen, except that the rub is in EVERYTHING. Try the beef ribs, though... really great.

Ron_L
11-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Not sure about "yelp" but many of us have had great meals at RUB.

I understand. I use Yelp a lot when I travel and don't ahve first hand input from folks I know. In general the reviews there are pretty accurate, but not always.

cmcadams
11-15-2011, 12:03 PM
The secret to Yelp, IMO, is to balance it... one or two bad reviews are because people can be jerks, or just didn't like the style of the place, but a lot of bad reviews, or a trend, is another story.

Longman & Eagle in Chicago, which my brother owns part of, took their worst Yelp review and just put it on a postcard to make light of it. It worked well for them.

Ron_L
11-15-2011, 12:20 PM
The secret to Yelp, IMO, is to balance it... one or two bad reviews are because people can be jerks, or just didn't like the style of the place, but a lot of bad reviews, or a trend, is another story.

Longman & Eagle in Chicago, which my brother owns part of, took their worst Yelp review and just put it on a postcard to make light of it. It worked well for them.

Absolutely. If I see an exceptionally critical review I'll usually look at a couple of other reviews from that person. In a lot of cases they are overly critical of everything :)

BBQ_MAFIA
11-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Rub and Hill Country are both within a short walking distance from the Empire State Building. I work on 34th and 6Th Ave and can go walk to Hill Country for lunch.
On Monday nights , Hillcountry usually has a all you can eat special for around $25.00. I'm not sure if it is still going on but it is certainly worth a call to find out.

Sledneck
11-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Set. Up a pig roast at daisy mays . I can't find the thread but. They did a brethren one.there a.few years back

drbbq
11-15-2011, 03:04 PM
There is very good BBQ these days at Wildwood on Park Ave around 18th st. Big Lou Elrose is the front man but the guy in back is Chef John Schafer who worked with me at Southern Hospitality and cooked with me this year at Memphis in May. I'll put John's BBQ chops up against anybody cooking in NY right now. And it's a really nice place with a big bar and good table service. If you want to go drop me a line.
I've never been to RUB so I can't comment but Hill Country is a very weird arrangement for a dinner with friends. It's kind of like the BBQ halls in Texas where you get your food from a counter and your sides from another and your drinks from another. Although last time I was there there was a cocktail waitress but I was half done with my food by the time my drink showed up. Their prices are brutal too for this kind of service. Daisy Mays is counter service too with picnic tables in back. I don't think Adam is involved there at all anymore.

Ron_L
11-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Ray... I've passed it on to the boss. I'll let you know.

SmokeInDaEye
11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
There's no BBQ in New York City and there's no basement in the Alamo.

Ron_L
11-15-2011, 05:25 PM
There's no BBQ in New York City and there's no basement in the Alamo.

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. :-D

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
11-15-2011, 08:55 PM
No mention of the Dinosaur in Harlem? too 'mersh? (that'd be ''commercial" in hippie-talk)

smokingj
11-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Is Blue Smoke still open? It's a jazz club/bbq place
I would suggest hitting up Harlem or 'the heights' and ask around. I'm sure if Sylvia's is still open they might be serving some kind of 'q. If not 'q, you'll get some of the best soul food that side of the Mason-Dixon line there.

qbb
11-16-2011, 10:38 AM
first, there is a good, not great, bbq in nyc. I'd absolutely recommend hill country for their monday $25 ayce bbq. It includes brisket, ribs, chicken and sides. The brisket is very good, approaching kreutz quality, the chicken is good and the ribs, imo, are inedible. The sides are hit and miss, order one of everything and see what you like. Some of them are great.

Jazz Standard, downstairs from blue smoke, is a great nyc experience. They have great jazz and you order from blue smoke upstairs. Blue Smoke is hit or miss, seemingly without rhyme or reason. You won't walk away saying the q was terrible, some of it will be very good. It will be expensive but if you're on an expense account, it's a great experience.

I've worked my way through the daisy mae menu and have been mostly unimpressed. I did, one night, have great beef ribs but the rest of the menu, including the big pig dig (whole pig), just is not good bbq imo.

I've had some good food at dinosaur, but it's not worth the trip given the proximity of other choices.

SmokeInDaEye
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
My preferences currently would be RUB, Hill Country (though to an earlier point, not great for a large group), Blue Smoke, Wildwood, Daisey Mays and for something a bit more out there Fatty Cue in the East Village and Brooklyn.

qbb
11-16-2011, 08:20 PM
what is the thinking on why hill country doesn't work for a large group. We went for a business dinner and I can't imagine a better venue. they let us spread out over a couple of picnic tables, it's reasonably priced (compared to other manhattan restaurants) and it's fun.

JimmyDAL
11-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Blue Smoke I think is worth the trip. Best oysters I've had is Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) I think somewhere around Park and 10th great food the times I went.

KevinR
11-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Is Blue Smoke still open? It's a jazz club/bbq place
I would suggest hitting up Harlem or 'the heights' and ask around. I'm sure if Sylvia's is still open they might be serving some kind of 'q. If not 'q, you'll get some of the best soul food that side of the Mason-Dixon line there.

Just an opinion, but... I'd avoid Sylvia's. :hand: The food was not good at all when we went last.

Sledneck
11-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Screw taking them fr BBQ in NYC. When in NYC you go to Katz'

http://katzsdelicatessen.com/

Nuff said

Bigdog
11-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Screw taking them fr BBQ in NYC. When in NYC you go to Katz'

http://katzsdelicatessen.com/

Nuff said

I agree. Been there, done that.:cool:

vraczka
12-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Brother Jimmy's BBQ was really good the last time I went but that was also many years ago. I believe they have many locations around the city. Might be worth checking out.