PDA

View Full Version : Pre-cooking meats at comp.

patkline9999
11-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Is there any rule that says you can't cook your , say brisket on Friday of a comp, after it's inspected, then slice, refrigerate and warm up on turnin day? Or any of the meats for that matter . I know the pork would have to be left whole... any issues that I'm missing?

CivilWarBBQ
11-15-2011, 02:28 AM
As long as you don't violate any of the rules in the process (cooking offsite, parting pork, reheating with illegal heat source, etc) what you are describing is legal under the current ruleset.

I know this has been done (badly) because I've judged an entry or two that were ice chest cold on 90 degree summer days. Guess they forgot the reheating step!

roksmith
11-15-2011, 05:09 AM
The pork wouldn't have to be kept whole unless you intended to return it to the cooker to reheat it.
Having said that, I've never had bbq that was as good reheated as it was freshly cooked and I'd think it would be easier to keep it hot than to cool and reheat.
But to answer the question.. nope no rule against it.

Stoke&Smoke
11-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree with the above. FYI, KCBS rule 17G and H addresses the question to some degree.

g. After cooking, all meat
:
Must be held at 140 F or above

OR
Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:
Within 2 hours from 140 F to 70 F and
Within 4 hours from 70 F to 41 F or less
h. Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later
reheated for hot holding and serving shall be reheated
so that all parts of the food reach a temperature of at
least 165 F for a minimum of 15 seconds.

That said, I have also had ice cold (as opposed to ambient heat temp) meat judging a comp where the temp was 85+, and in my opinion, it violated the rule and should have been DQ'd. Guess it's good I don't really judge much anymore

INmitch
11-15-2011, 03:45 PM
There is a team from MI that cooks cow & butts on Friday.

AZScott
11-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I've done that with brisket thinking it's always better the 2nd day at home so why not at a comp. My brisket scores dove when I started doing them that way. Never again.

Ron_L
11-15-2011, 06:17 PM
That said, I have also had ice cold (as opposed to ambient heat temp) meat judging a comp where the temp was 85+, and in my opinion, it violated the rule and should have been DQ'd. Guess it's good I don't really judge much anymore

The rule doesn't say that it has to be reheated :-D But, if it is, it must be reheated to 165.

huminie
11-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I have heard of teams cooking brisket, wrapping in plastic and chilling on ice and then later slicing and reheating. I would never do it, but I know it is done.

CBQ
11-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I encourage everyone to serve reheated leftovers, especially in contests where I am cooking :becky:

Seriously, stuff does taste better after it sits, but it also dries it out. Nothing like a brisket just after you slice it for moisture.