PDA

View Full Version : First competition

FiremanVinny
11-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Hello everyone, thanks for having me in your home..

I am new to the site and have my first amateur rib competition(KCBS Backyard) this Sunday. Any pointers? cooking on a char griller with side box.
V

BBQ PD
11-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey Vinny, good luck on your first comp. We would have been there, but ended up scheduling a cook at local winery. Anyway, cook your ribs til tender, but not falling off the bone, and I would suggest St. Louis ribs instead of baby backs. For a comp, 3 hours on smoke, then foil with some additional rub, brown sugar, and honey; judges really like sweet ribs. Cook until tender, unwrap, sauce, and back in the smoker to set the glaze. Slice with a very sharp knife or electric knife, paying close attention to separate them. Finish with a final coating of sauce, but not too much, and place in the turn-in box. Here is a sample of one of my turn-in boxes.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/shredrow/BackyardontheLake2011104.jpg

chomper's bbq
11-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Good luck; bbq pd shows a nice box. Make your boxes early in your down time because turn in time can be hectic and don't get DQed be turning in late like I did on my pork steaks once. Coordinate your clock with the official clock and the have fun.

Unfathomable Bastid
11-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I just "guest" judged a competition here in Michigan, and can share with you that my fellow judges commented on a few of the entrants having oversauced their ribs. The winning entrant had ribs that were more of a glaze than a sauce, and had a distinct bark to them that was wonderful.

Just my $.02

-Bastid

jcpetro97
11-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Have a blast!!! I'm doing my first comp in May...

trekmstr
11-11-2011, 10:18 AM
HAVE FUN!!!!!
i tend to get a little wound up when i compete. sometime you just have to settle down and relax. it’s easier said than done, at least for me.:oops: but remember the whole point is to have fun. the biggest thing you will be doing at your first few competitions is learning. my biggest suggestion is to practice walking the route from your site to the turn in location, and time it at a slow careful walk. also look at the terrain. it was amazing he first time I made the walk with my first turn in, the ground was so much rougher than it was when I test walked it earlier.:shock:
good luck

K-Train
11-11-2011, 10:52 AM
take notes on everything you do.

fnbish
11-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Start the meat with extra time to rest if needed. If they get done early they can always stay warm in foil and a cooler, but if they need more time cooking and that isn't factored in scrambling to get them done can be a hassle. Have fun!

trekmstr
11-11-2011, 11:40 AM
take notes on everything you do.

YES, YES, YES!!!
I CAN NOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH!!
take notes on everything. times , temps (of meat and grill), weather. if itís a nice warm day things will cook faster than on a damp dreary day. wind? rain? keep notes on everything. I had a ote book that I kept handy.
:doh:oh, here's a good tip!
I set up a box (I use a bus box with a lid) that I keep stuff handy with. I have spare hot gloves, thermos, paper towels and the notepad. it has a lid so things stay dry and or doesnít blow away.

K-Train
11-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Good call from the above post. I have two plastic tubs with lids. One for sauce, rubs, and cooking tools, the other for misc junk, bleach and other cleaning supplies, etc. that might come in handy (including my notes). If water is available bring a hose. Camera to take pictures off your cook from begining to turn in, thses go well with the notes.:-P

K-Train
11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Please ignore my typos above.

Podge
11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
If you want to save yourself tens of thousands of dollars in future spending, don't do it.

trekmstr
11-11-2011, 01:39 PM
If you want to save yourself tens of thousands of dollars in future spending, don't do it.
ooh, that may be the best one yet.

NRA4Life
11-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Have fun, and don't deviate from your practice cooking timeline. Go with what you know.

Lake Dogs
11-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Especially in the first 2 or 3 competitions that you'll do there is a huge temptation to change this or that. Like Kev said above, REALLY, stick to what you know and what you do best. The only time to change is when you've produced your absolute best a few times and you're still scoring at or towards the bottom. That's when it's time to change.

Otherwise, break a leg! Have fun bro.

FiremanVinny
11-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the tips... cant wait to eat the leftovers either way

FiremanVinny
11-11-2011, 06:36 PM
After going through this site it seems most of you provide your own sanitation. The rules mention nothing of sanitation or an extinguisher. Does anyone know what the rules are for a competition in California?

K-Train
11-12-2011, 04:21 PM
3 tubs. 1 water, 1 water and soap, 1 with bleach for cleaning utensils. Bring an extingusher.

CBQ
11-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Ya, you might as well order that motorhome and 6 or 7 more smokers now. :becky:

kihrer
11-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Ya, you might as well order that motorhome and 6 or 7 more smokers now. :becky:

You forgot the big azz trailer to carry those six or seven smokers:becky:

Hope you have a wonderful time.

kihrer
11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
3 tubs. 1 water, 1 water and soap, 1 with bleach for cleaning utensils. Bring an extingusher.

And a first aid kit. Knifes - they be sharp:becky: Don't ask me how I know that!

smokingj
11-12-2011, 07:11 PM
For 30 some years I have never done a competition. Never really interested me mainly I guess, because I could care less about a trophy or 'bragging rights', although I wouldn't shun the $$$$. I've always felt the only people that I need to impress are my customers since they are the bread and butter and can make you or break you.
So I have been thinking of hitting the DC BBQ battle they do in June. Question is can you just enter 1 or 2 categories? When it comes to chicken I suck, always have. Ribs are great but I always do dry ribs that are so tender that when you try to pick up by the bone they come away clean as a whistle. I doubt the judges would like that, although the customers I cook for do. Anyhoot my pork butts, loins and beef briskets are to die for and I would like to see how they fair. Is that possible? or do you have to enter all categories?

FiremanVinny
11-13-2011, 12:03 AM
The rule sheet doesnt mention anything about an extinguisher or bleach/water sanitation. is this required or just recommended? I wont be serving the public, just the judges..

NRA4Life
11-13-2011, 09:02 AM
For 30 some years I have never done a competition. Never really interested me mainly I guess, because I could care less about a trophy or 'bragging rights', although I wouldn't shun the $$$$. I've always felt the only people that I need to impress are my customers since they are the bread and butter and can make you or break you.
So I have been thinking of hitting the DC BBQ battle they do in June. Question is can you just enter 1 or 2 categories? When it comes to chicken I suck, always have. Ribs are great but I always do dry ribs that are so tender that when you try to pick up by the bone they come away clean as a whistle. I doubt the judges would like that, although the customers I cook for do. Anyhoot my pork butts, loins and beef briskets are to die for and I would like to see how they fair. Is that possible? or do you have to enter all categories?

You might start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.
See the rules: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14685&highlight=hijack

SCSmoke
11-13-2011, 11:34 AM
The rule sheet doesnt mention anything about an extinguisher or bleach/water sanitation. is this required or just recommended? I wont be serving the public, just the judges..

They should check if you have a fire extinguisher and you should have one just in case anyway:becky:. Unless the public is being served most likely the sanitation station wont be checked but again having a clean sanitary site is never a bad thing. You don't want to make yourself or anybody else sick if you can avoid it. Also as a tip if you have a way to heat water it really helps getting all the fat off your knives and cutting boards(unless you use disposable).

FiremanVinny
11-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Back home from the cookoff. Took 6th. Got some unexpected feedback. Had a good time and ate some good food.

NRA4Life
11-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Sounds like you had a good time! Outstanding! Are you hooked?

FiremanVinny
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
We are already looking into where the next one is..ha..

This competition was crazy because the pros from the day before competed in the backyard competition. Is this normal?

We did get marked down for being too tender and rough edges. The rough edges may be due to being too tender. Anyone have any insight on that?

CBQ
11-15-2011, 08:49 PM
We are already looking into where the next one is..ha..?

We warned you :heh:

This competition was crazy because the pros from the day before competed in the backyard competition. Is this normal?

Sometimes. Some organizers don't allow that. Since the backyard events aren't sanctioned, they vary a lot from contest to contest. Although we like to complain about KCBS here :drama: the big benefit is standardization across contests.

We did get marked down for being too tender and rough edges.

Did you have pro judges judging the backyard? KCBS standard ribs are bite through, but not fall off the bone. If you can twist the bone in the rib, it's overcooking by KCBS standards. Rough edges mean pay attention to the cut. Don't tear the meat, try to cut parallel to the bone and make each rib as close to the same size as you can get.

NS Mike D
11-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Did our first competion this summer and had a blast.

Don't forget to visit the other teams and say hello.

NorthwestBBQ
11-17-2011, 10:02 PM

It is absolutely required.

http://old.cbbqa.org/index.html

smokinb
11-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Stay sober if you want to be competitive. Or at least, have one somewhat sober teammate. :-P