PDA

View Full Version : Ventura, CA

Bigmista
06-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Took MrsMista out to Ventura for the Memorial Day weekend. WE had a great time and did a lot of relaxing. Saturday we went "antiqueing" (I know. I never thought I would hear myself say that either.) in downtown Ventura. They had a lot of cool stuff down there. We bought this old wooden carved chest that we are going to try and restore. Some of the old furniture down there was awesome. Old world craftsmanship.

Saturday night we pigged out at Joe's crab shack. We also discovered that MrsMista didn't pack my underwear and socks so I was Captain Commando!

Sunday we had brunch at the hotel (Eggs Sardou is the Bomb!) and thenwent out to the Harbor Village to hang out (see pic below). We did a little shopping and sat on the lawn to listen to a Jazz Band that was playing. Then we hustled back to the hotel so MrsMista could get the massage that I scheduled for her. Of course this was my chance to go get some Que!!!

I went to Cooke's Smokehouse (see more pics below). Nice place. Small. Not too fancy. Found out they had a Southern Pride Smoker in the back but they wouldn't let me take a picture without the owner's permission and he wasn't there.

I orderded the Bucket O' Bones with extra spicy sauce, A pulled pork sammich and a Dos Equis. The bucket was a bunch of rib tips smothered in sauce. More sauce that I would ever use but the sauce was really tast so I didn't mind. The meat was tender with just enough pull at the bone. Nice smoke ring once I bit past the sauce.

The pulled pork sandwich was tender but again too much sauce. I have no idea what the meat tasted like but the sauce was good. Somebody was gonna get a bottle in the next trade but they aren't bottling it yet.

Sunday night was a fancy dinner at the hotel. MrsMista had the Double stuffed porkchops with andouille sausage and I had the Salmon trio which included seared ahi tuna and a crab cake with beurre blanc sauce. Excellent meal!

Monday, we stopped and did some shopping at the Outlet Mall on the way home. I needed some new shirts for the new gig. When we got in we were exhausted but we had a great time together!

chad
06-02-2005, 06:41 AM
Sounds like a great weekend! Some decent food, a little shopping, and lots of time with the significant other! :D Yeah, MrsMista "forgot" to pack your drawers -- wink, wink, nudge, nudge! :D

Bigmista
06-02-2005, 07:17 PM
OK....so there wasn't a use for the ol' boxer briefs. That's why it was a great weekend!!

Bigmista
06-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Guess nobody but chad cared, huh?

Bill-Chicago
06-04-2005, 06:43 AM
You go girl

There, you happy?

We read it, I just had nothing to add.

I woulda swiped the bucket the bones came in

racer_81
06-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm still dealing with the reality that there actually IS barbecue in Ventura.......

Bigmista
06-04-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm still dealing with the reality that there actually IS barbecue in Ventura.......

I know! The only reason I found it was that it was on my list to get airline miles.

Bill-Chicago
06-05-2005, 08:01 AM
I had no idea Ventura was a place

I thought it was a street

Tom Petty Mod

racer_81
06-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Vampire BBQ Mod.

I expected BBQ in Ventura to be grilled tofu and asparagus, certainly not Real Meat.

Bill-Chicago
06-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Vampire BBQ Mod.

I expected BBQ in Ventura to be grilled tofu and asparagus, certainly not Real Meat.

I only see sauce.

Vampire

Thats funny

Arlin_MacRae
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey Mista!!

Sorry, Bro, I've been away from the keyboard a few days or I would have commented right away about your lack of underwear. I mean your BBQ trip! ;)

Those pix give me the impression the trip was a great success. MrsMista looks happy in the one shot. Good on ya, bro.

I have two questions, though:

1. Who's birthday was it?
2. How come you didn't buy new boxers at the outlet mall? ;)

Arlin

Jeff_in_KC
06-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Mista, LOL! I gotta wonder... would anyone but a Brethren carry a camera into a Q joint and take pictures of their food before they ate it? We're a damned funny bunch! :lol: I bet you got some strange looks when the flash started going off! hehehe!

cabo
06-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Mista, LOL! I gotta wonder... would anyone but a Brethren carry a camera into a Q joint and take pictures of their food before they ate it? We're a damned funny bunch! :lol: I bet you got some strange looks when the flash started going off! hehehe!

Yeah, the folks either thought he was from the Health Dept. and was building a case :shock:, or some rival trying to steal his recipes!! :evil:

racer_81
06-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Vampire BBQ Mod.

I only see sauce.

Vampire

Thats funny

They move west down Ventura Boulevard you know......

BBQJunkie
08-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Next time I'm in ventura I will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip... and nice photos.

tommykendall
08-15-2005, 04:47 PM
That place gave their Q one hell of a sauce mod.

Bill-Chicago
08-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Um, this post was dead

post pumpers

tommykendall
08-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Um, this post was dead

post pumpers

Sorry Mr. Year Old post resurrector.

Bill-Chicago
08-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Um, this post was dead

post pumpers

Sorry Mr. Year Old post ressurector.

I rarely resurrect old posts.

brdbbq
08-16-2005, 09:13 AM
That place gave their Q one hell of a sauce mod.

I heard you like a lot of sauce. :roll:

Bigmista
08-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Um, this post was dead

post pumpers

Sorry Mr. Year Old post ressurector.

I rarely resurrect old posts.

And I rarely post pictures.