PDA

View Full Version : Memphis In May 2012

Pages : [1] 2

TooSaucedToPork
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
It's that time of year again...

Time for all of us at Too Sauced To Pork to start planning for the Memphis in May Cookoff. If there are any Brethren that want to join the team for MIM give us a shout. As in years past, we will offer up the chance to cook any ancillaries that aren't claimed by regular team members to the Brethren...

Will post more details as the contest nears, just wanted to give everyone a heads up as MIM can be expensive...

Neil

Just Pulin' Pork
11-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Neil I love watching this thread from start to finish! Thanks for posting!

Jon

mobow
11-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I am interested. I's it the same as last year. $250.00 per category ? If my wife i's with me i's it $250.00 per person? Keith

TooSaucedToPork
11-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I am interested. I's it the same as last year. $250.00 per category ? If my wife i's with me i's it $250.00 per person? Keith

Yes sir, and the wife/significant other is of course included with your contest fee, not extra.

We have always given each $250 member a 3 day wristband (good for in and out admission to the contest (Thurs-Sat), and if your wife comes we will buy her one as well. You also each get a team t-shirt and 6 guest wristbands for the booth (not good for admission into the park, just to eat, drink, and party for free in our booth Thursday-Saturday)

We always serve lunch & dinner (members volunteer to help cook or can sit back and enjoy), have all the beer, soda, and bottled water you can drink, a large frozen drink machine full of bourbon slush on one side and margaritas on the other, rest of the perks will be posted when we have a few meetings and decide them :-D

Neil

boogiesnap
11-03-2011, 09:27 AM
how do you guys get down there? drive, with all the equip. i assume?

do you stop overnight or drive in shifts?

TooSaucedToPork
11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
how do you guys get down there? drive, with all the equip. i assume?

do you stop overnight or drive in shifts?

We have a north team (Buffalo) and a south team (Memphis)

We have all the south team's gear down in Memphis. I fly down along with the North team on the Saturday before the contest and we start setting up. No driving involved :-)

Neil

deguerre
11-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I can testify to the fact that y'all are a fun and classy bunch of folk to hang out with.:thumb::thumb::becky:

We've still got our Swinebucks wrist bands from two years ago. They're collectors items now I hear...

boogiesnap
11-03-2011, 11:48 AM
ah, i see.

i poked around for a minute. looks like about a grand PP roundtrip air out of JFK and hotel in memphis. does that number sound right?

my wife has talked about memphis in may before so this just could be a beautiful thing, and i'm well, let's say, interested. :becky: :thumb:

TooSaucedToPork
11-03-2011, 01:10 PM
ah, i see.

i poked around for a minute. looks like about a grand PP roundtrip air out of JFK and hotel in memphis. does that number sound right?

my wife has talked about memphis in may before so this just could be a beautiful thing, and i'm well, let's say, interested. :becky: :thumb:

If you find good airfare...(Wed nights after 11pm) I have found it for $256 round trip out of Buffalo (Newark usually about $290), and book the comfort inn or econo lodge downtown (you are not going to be spending much time at the hotel so why pay for all the amenities) about $110-$130 a night, plus the team fee...(your team fee covers all you can eat and drink all day and night :becky:) You can do the festival for about $1200 for two people. Alot of green I know, but its a full mile of Wednesday - Saturday pure porkin party...

The secret is to book early and get the hotel rooms before all the tourists do...you can always give 'em up with no fee.

Neil

Iamarealbigdog
11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
This is one of the best ways to experience Memphis in May, get on a team... Too Sauced for pork has the best darn Margaritas and Lynchburg Lemonade... Ya just got to keep the double mint girls from getting in trouble... Thank goodness Bake will keep everybody in line

See you guys in MAY

BoneDaddy's
11-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey, your mailbox is full

We will take seafood and vinegar sauce and if no one claims chx we can do that also....

TooSaucedToPork
11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey, your mailbox is full

We will take seafood and vinegar sauce and if no one claims chx we can do that also....

They are yours. I think Shane is doin chicken, he's been having some success with it as of late and I think he is tired of the beef competition. As soon as we have the meeting next week I will let you know what is up.

boogiesnap
11-04-2011, 08:27 PM
If you find good airfare...(Wed nights after 11pm) I have found it for $256 round trip out of Buffalo (Newark usually about $290), and book the comfort inn or econo lodge downtown (you are not going to be spending much time at the hotel so why pay for all the amenities) about $110-$130 a night, plus the team fee...(your team fee covers all you can eat and drink all day and night :becky:) You can do the festival for about $1200 for two people. Alot of green I know, but its a full mile of Wednesday - Saturday pure porkin party...

The secret is to book early and get the hotel rooms before all the tourists do...you can always give 'em up with no fee.

Neil

can you help me find those rates?

JimmyDAL
11-05-2011, 05:53 AM
What catagories are left?

TooSaucedToPork
11-06-2011, 12:38 PM
can you help me find those rates?

http://www.kayak.com/#flights/NYC,nearby-MEM/2012-05-15/2012-05-19/2adults

kayak - $276 out of NYC Airports

Hotel - Have to call the hotel, online booking not available yet

boogiesnap
11-06-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.kayak.com/#flights/NYC,nearby-MEM/2012-05-15/2012-05-19/2adults

kayak - $276 out of NYC Airports

Hotel - Have to call the hotel, online booking not available yet

hi neil, thank you, but thats 1 way. you had written 2 sumthin' round trip.

was that a typo/oersight or do you actually get roundtrip in the $200's?

gotta put the "package" together for the auditor, know what i mean? :becky:

TooSaucedToPork
11-07-2011, 09:39 AM
hi neil, thank you, but thats 1 way. you had written 2 sumthin' round trip.

was that a typo/oersight or do you actually get roundtrip in the $200's?

gotta put the "package" together for the auditor, know what i mean? :becky:

Thats to and from...totally round trip :-)

Found a better one
http://www.kayak.com/#flights/NYC,nearby-MEM/2012-05-15/2012-05-20/2adults

This one leaves on tues may 15th at 6am gets to memphis 952am

Leaves Memphis sun may 20th at 203pm and gets back east at 729pm...

price per person roundtrip - $276

boogiesnap
11-07-2011, 10:01 AM
thanks neil...maybe if i put the beer down i woulda read it correctly the first time. :roll:

Porky Joes
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Is there a website to fill out an application to compete in Memphis In May or is it another lottery competition?

TooSaucedToPork
11-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Is there a website to fill out an application to compete in Memphis In May or is it another lottery competition?
http://www.memphisinmay.org/bbq

It will be here when they post it. Probably will be posted at the end of this month/ begining of Dec. It is a open lottery contest.

MIM auto admits the top 20 of each pork catagory from the year before. They also admit the Winners of each of the ancillary contests. From there it becomes a lottery, MIM gathers the remaining applications and on a specific day holds a blind lottery to pick who else will be given spots.

We are then sent emails and letters notifying us that we are in. Applications are turned in from Dec-Feb and they announce the spots in March. First time team meeting is in April (if you want to attend) and we start setting up a week before the contest on Saturday May 12th

dmprantz
11-08-2011, 08:59 PM
You should have me come and cook your wings for you. I hear the guy that does it now isn't all that ;-)

TooSaucedToPork
11-09-2011, 07:59 AM
You should have me come and cook your wings for you. I hear the guy that does it now isn't all that ;-)

HAHA!!! Nice one. Danny's got 6 first's under his belt. Plus the Win at Memphis in May...

TooSaucedToPork
12-04-2011, 11:00 AM
UPDATE:

We just received our MIM Application in the mail. So all ya'll that were in last year start watching the mailbox. They have yet to post the apps on the site, probably be next week before they do.

Gore
12-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi Neil, it looks like I might be organizing a workshop in Memphis during this event. I expect I'll be busy during the day, but if you need a mascot in the evenings to help drink mojitos and beer, I can be there for you. :thumb:

TooSaucedToPork
12-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi Neil, it looks like I might be organizing a workshop in Memphis during this event. I expect I'll be busy during the day, but if you need a mascot in the evenings to help drink mojitos and beer, I can be there for you. :thumb:

We will definitely be having a brethren get-together during the contest, all brethren will be welcome to attend ;-)

Flavor Gangster
12-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Waiting on that email from Cindy to say when registration is open. I am throwing down in Memphis this year. Probably Ribs.
Have not decided 100% yet.

My bonus is going towards the entry. Bummer it is so damn expensive.:clap2:

TooSaucedToPork
12-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Waiting on that email from Cindy to say when registration is open. I am throwing down in Memphis this year. Probably Ribs.
Have not decided 100% yet.

My bonus is going towards the entry. Bummer it is so damn expensive.:clap2:

Apps accepted now through Feb 28th...

just for your info in deciding which to cook

- team breakdown last year

Rib 134
Whole hog 23
Shoulder 58
Patio Porkers 40

Redheart
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Just checking in to make sure folks know how much fun this event and this team really is. I will be there for the 3rd straight year and I can't imagine not being there in the future.
So come on all you Brethren and join this team! It has been well worth the travel cost and the small fee to participate.

TooSaucedToPork
12-06-2011, 04:44 PM
http://memphisinmay.org/assets/1680/2012_bbq_application.pdf

For anyone who is interested:

Application is up on MIM website

Flavor Gangster
12-07-2011, 12:41 AM
HMM 18X30 or the 26 X 30. Decisions decisions. 300 bucks more for 8 ft wider>>

Redheart
12-07-2011, 06:52 AM
24o more sq ft? Seems worth it to me.

Ponderosa BBQ
12-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Ponderosa BBQ is competing in Memphis in may my first time I'm also getting a band of brothers and sisters in smoke to join my team you guys know will put it down and have a blast doing it. We are also doing the ancillary's if you want to pitch in inbox me I'm still working out the details I'm getting an app emailed this week I think.

TooSaucedToPork
12-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Ponderosa BBQ is competing in Memphis in may my first time I'm also getting a band of brothers and sisters in smoke to join my team you guys know will put it down and have a blast doing it. We are also doing the ancillary's if you want to pitch in inbox me I'm still working out the details I'm getting an app emailed this week I think.

Awesome Moe! Now there are 2 teams Brethern can join!!!

Phubar
12-07-2011, 09:54 AM
If I can sleep between Guerry and Redhot I maybe considering dropping by...Padawan can sleep with the cats since she is a cat lover.

imperfectutopia
12-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Another MIM first timer team applying here! Although our roster is pretty full, I would love to meet some of the brethren in attendance for at least a few beverages! It's gonna be a blast guys.

TooSaucedToPork
12-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Another MIM first timer team applying here! Although our roster is pretty full, I would love to meet some of the brethren in attendance for at least a few beverages! It's gonna be a blast guys.

If ya'll got any questions about the contest please ask. We've been doing MIM for a LOOOOONG time, and are happy to help out...

As far as a meeting all the Brethren, we always host a get-together during the contest. We will post the exact time and day as it gets closer.

Maybe this year with so many Brethren participating in MIM we could coordinate a tour of all of our Booths, just for members of the Brethren. Could be cool...

imperfectutopia
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Yea, a tour of sorts does sound pretty cool. I'm sure we will have questions as the contest approaches, assuming we get accepted. I know a couple guys here that have done it quite a bit also that I can ask but having never done the big one, i'm not certain I won't overlook the right questions! So, I've cooked MBN contests around here before, am I looking at a similar situation plus 3 days of entertainment?? I have read previous years threads on what to bring like flooring and all, and went to visit some teams last year in tiger lane so I've seen some set ups, it's behind the scene details that I may overlook probably.

TooSaucedToPork
12-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I just called MIM about the application, as it did not include a Peoples Choice contest entry as in years past.

"The Peoples Choice contest is currently under review, we don't know if we are bringing it back" I was told.

Wow, this is one of the best programs at the contest, allowing visitors the opportunity to sample Competition Que...I really don't know what MIM is thinking, now spectators are gonna be REALLY ornery.

Plus it was a $3000 purse for the winner...

I hope they decide to bring it back, otherwise there will be teams and spectators up in arms.

dmprantz
12-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Just my opinion as some one who did PC last year, it's a horrible event at MIM, and I wouldn't care if they didn't have it back. For those who don't know, here's how PC works at MIM:

You cook your butt(s) get them to the "right" temp, put it in a foil pan, cover with foil, and then carry it whole to the PC turn-in area. There a person sticks a digital thermometer whose probe was just wiped with rubbing alcohol into your foil pan to determine if it's hot enough for their standards, and if not, it goes into an oven until it is. Once it's hot enough, you wait in line until a table is available and has just been wiped down with sanitizing chemicals for you to place your but down and pull/chop it (You brought your own utensils, right?). When you're finished, with that, another person comes by with another alcohol covered digital thermometer to see if the temp has dropped and if so it goes back into an oven to cook more. Finally, they take your meat and have it ready for the people to try. It's not like usual PC either: A group of people pays money to show up at a specific time to get a tour and then taste all of the PC meat that hour....i.e. not every one gets the opportunity to taste every sample.

Obviously some people think it's worth it, and others are able to do quite well (Tipping hat to Vexter). I also understand that for an event that big, the liabillity is such that they care more about people getting sick and CYA than the best product, but it's a pain. For those that enjoy it and will miss it, I'm sorry, but I won't. Just my $0.02.

dmp

TooSaucedToPork
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Ya left a few things out Rance

Just my opinion as some one who did PC last year, it's a horrible event at MIM, and I wouldn't care if they didn't have it back. For those who don't know, here's how PC works at MIM:

You cook your butt(s) get them to the "right" temp, put it in a foil pan, cover with foil, and then carry it whole to the PC turn-in area. There a person sticks a digital thermometer whose probe was just wiped with rubbing alcohol into your foil pan to determine if it's hot enough for their standards, and if not, it goes into an oven until it is.

Well, thats why you make sure it is 141 F...anything you turn in should be food safe

Once it's hot enough, you wait in line until a table is available and has just been wiped down with sanitizing chemicals for you to place your but down and pull/chop it (You brought your own utensils, right?).

The table has fresh disposable cutting boards for every entry, and they give you pans to put the meat in

When you're finished, with that, another person comes by with another alcohol covered digital thermometer to see if the temp has dropped and if so it goes back into an oven to cook more.

Yeah, that part does suck. But the health dept is very strict

To combat this you bring in a thermos of piping hot liquid. That way it brings your meat abouve 141 instantly.

Finally, they take your meat and have it ready for the people to try. It's not like usual PC either: A group of people pays money to show up at a specific time to get a tour and then taste all of the PC meat that hour....i.e. not every one gets the opportunity to taste every sample.

They all wait in line and they herd em in the Peoples Choice tent one at a time like cattle to slaughter. When did they start doing times? It was always first in line first served.

Obviously some people think it's worth it, and others are able to do quite well (Tipping hat to Vexter). I also understand that for an event that big, the liabillity is such that they care more about people getting sick and CYA than the best product, but it's a pain. For those that enjoy it and will miss it, I'm sorry, but I won't. Just my $0.02.

While I agree it is a pain, they need a program like this for the crowds, so they don't get all squirelly... I remember when no peoples choice or cooker caravan existed. Spectators used to try and gatecrash people's tents to get food. These programs helped ease that problem. Now this program is expected by ticketholders and has been on every TV show about MIM, and it won't be there. BETTER REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHIN, or the natives will get restless :becky:

Redheart
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I love people's choice but MIM does need a little guidance to help it along. 2 Sauced 2 Pork, you can remember the issues we had last year with the delivery mechanism of the butts. That issue and the fact that meat was held in a pan directly over a Sterno with out the benefit of a pan of water I am sure led to the demise of many an entrants pulled, chopped or shredded pork. All in all, I am with you, safety first! But they need to make this happen for attendees and contestants alike. I hope they do.

TooSaucedToPork
12-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I love people's choice but MIM does need a little guidance to help it along. 2 Sauced 2 Pork, you can remember the issues we had last year with the delivery mechanism of the butts. That issue and the fact that meat was held in a pan directly over a Sterno with out the benefit of a pan of water I am sure led to the demise of many an entrants pulled, chopped or shredded pork. All in all, I am with you, safety first! But they need to make this happen for attendees and contestants alike. I hope they do.

Oh I agree that it has flaws...but to not have a replacement could be very bad for the contest.

Redheart
12-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Oh I agree that it has flaws...but to not have a replacement could be very bad for the contest.

So my friend the diplomat, is there a way we can get involved on a active nature? Do you think we can petition MIM or find another way to get them to realize how much we desire the event and how much the public truly enjoys it?

TooSaucedToPork
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
So my friend the diplomat, is there a way we can get involved on a active nature? Do you think we can petition MIM or find another way to get them to realize how much we desire the event and how much the public truly enjoys it?

:becky:Already on it:becky:

TooSaucedToPork
02-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Application in and...

We now have Cooks in charge of each category

Head cooks of each Category-
Ribs –
Neil Gallagher – Pitmaster – Too Sauced To Pork BBQ Team – MBN/KCBS/NEBS/MIM, New York & Tennessee

Poultry –
Paul Carter, Texas

Beef –
Shane Greer – Pitmaster – Smokey Bottom Boys BBQ – KCBS/MBN, Tennessee

Seafood –
Dave Mundis – Pitmaster – Bonedaddy’s BBQ – KCBS/NEBS, New Hampshire
Frank Sanjeski – Pitmaster – Bonedaddy’s BBQ – KCBS/NEBS, New Hampshire

Exotic –
Brad Kennedy – Chef at Tracks Restaurant, Memphis TN

Hot Wings –
Danny Zellers – Team Captain – Pirates of Capsacin Hot Wing Team, Tennessee

Mustard Sauce –
Marc Leone – Pitmaster – Life of Brine BBQ KCBS/MBN/FBA, Georgia

Vinegar Sauce –
Frank Sanjeski – Pitmaster – Bonedaddy’s BBQ – KCBS/NEBS, New Hampshire
Dave Mundis – Pitmaster – Bonedaddy’s BBQ – KCBS/NEBS, New Hampshire

Tomato Sauce –
Too Sauced To Pork Team Sauce, Tennessee

People’s Choice –
Eddie Medlin – Pitmaster – North South Smokers – NCBA/KCBS, North Carolina
Robyn Medlin Lindars – “Grill Grrrl” Food Writer/Blogger for Kingsford Charcoal and Grilling.com, BBQ instructor, FBA Judge, Florida

If you are interested in joining the team, and assisting one of the cooks on a particular category, drop us a line and we will put you in touch with them.

And we still could always use cooks to help Marc and Neil prepare lunches and dinners, and of course people to hang out, learn new tricks from, and talk bbq with all week.

SHBBQ
02-22-2012, 08:59 AM
I'll be down cooking with the Bastey Boys again this year. Gonna have to party with you guys some more. I didn't even find you all until after awards last year. Continued Success at MIM. See you down there.

Alan

TooSaucedToPork
02-22-2012, 03:05 PM
I'll be down cooking with the Bastey Boys again this year. Gonna have to party with you guys some more. I didn't even find you all until after awards last year. Continued Success at MIM. See you down there.

Alan

Defintitely come to the Brethren Party...which will be (drum roll please)

Thursday at 4pm in the Too Sauced To Pork Tent

Of course Brethren are welcome to come chat with us at any time during the contest...

That being said...
All you brethren that are on teams at Memphis in May

Would you like to participate in a Brethren pass? We create a card to be worn around the neck that will allow members of the BBQ Brethren entrance into our tents for one day or certain times of the contest? I will create it and on the back, list the teams that are friendly to BBQ Brethren members...

MIM TEAMS -

Drop me a line if you are interested in participating

*note*
This will not be abused...We all know it takes alot to do this contest, and if you are abusing the pass, you can (and probably will) be kicked out of a tent, well at least flamed mercilessly online for all to see. i.e don't make yourself unwelcome: wash some dishes, tip your bartenders, donate to the beer fund...etc. If we get this thing in place, I know no Brethren will be a Delta Bravo. Please don't prove me wrong. I will post this perk if or when all the participating teams agree on terms.

msavard
02-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Slab yo Mama BBQ is in yet again this year. Going 24x50 Riverfront I believe.

Rooms booked at Crowne Plaza. Can't wait....

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
So what kinda things have won the exotic category in the past?

Gore
02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Looks like the workshop is a go. Expect about 20 or so physics geeks to be walking aimlessly around the grounds on Thursday and Friday evenings, not having a clue what's going on. If you see a small group of nerds saying things like, "Satisfy the boundary conditions,... then we solve for the T-matrix, or ... using the discrete dipole approximation...," toss them some burnt ends and point them back to the Crowne Plaza. Thanks! :thumb:

BasicPatrick
02-24-2012, 11:02 PM

Alan

Alan...you should be careful at the party as you & Billy will have lots of media obligations you world champion!!!!!!!

TooSaucedToPork
02-25-2012, 12:29 PM
So what kinda things have won the exotic category in the past?

I've seen Lamb, Ostrich, Buffalo, Bear, Rabbit, Goat, and Alligator all win

Every other year or so Lamb wins

I've seen people cook with Lion, Eland, Rattlesnake, Frog, Kangaroo, Raccoon, Reindeer, and Wild Boar...the list goes on and on...

TooSaucedToPork
02-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Looks like the workshop is a go. Expect about 20 or so physics geeks to be walking aimlessly around the grounds on Thursday and Friday evenings, not having a clue what's going on. If you see a small group of nerds saying things like, "Satisfy the boundary conditions,... then we solve for the T-matrix, or ... using the discrete dipole approximation...," toss them some burnt ends and point them back to the Crowne Plaza. Thanks! :thumb:

Invite them over to build us a Large Hogron Collider...smashing competition meats into one another to discover the secrets of Dark Meater, which makes up 83% of Grand Champion awards.:mrgreen:

brownkw
02-25-2012, 05:51 PM
I'll be there this year as part of the Tucker Cooker team. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
02-25-2012, 07:18 PM
I've seen Lamb, Ostrich, Buffalo, Bear, Rabbit, Goat, and Alligator all win

Every other year or so Lamb wins

I've seen people cook with Lion, Eland, Rattlesnake, Frog, Kangaroo, Raccoon, Reindeer, and Wild Boar...the list goes on and on...

Ok that's not quite as exotic as I had in my head. I was thinking Uni or some type of offal. :)

Swinebuck
02-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Slab yo Mama BBQ is in yet again this year. Going 24x50 Riverfront I believe.

Rooms booked at Crowne Plaza. Can't wait....

Matt: I saw your two story trailer parked across the street from my wife's school. I thought you were keeping it at the furniture factory.
Thanks
Mike G

MikeMSD
02-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Can't wait for MiM. Already have my vacation time scheduled. Looking forward to seeing everyone out there.

vexter1
02-27-2012, 07:51 AM
I'll be back again with the Norwegian National BBQ Team - really looking forward to it as always. Will be good to see everyone again and getting some cooking on!! Woo hoo!!!!

BoneDaddy's
02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
I'll be back again with the Norwegian National BBQ Team - really looking forward to it as always. Will be good to see everyone again and getting some cooking on!! Woo hoo!!!!

I am still wearing my red Norwegian team hat....love it

SHBBQ
02-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I'll be there this year as part of the Tucker Cooker team. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I'll be the drunk obnoxious one...... wait, that's pretty much everybody. my bad!

QN
02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
I'll be the drunk obnoxious one...... wait, that's pretty much everybody. my bad!

Will you be screaming BAAAAHHHHHHHHBQUE!!??

SHBBQ
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Will you be screaming BAAAAHHHHHHHHBQUE!!??

In honor of Sully, yes I will! That's how we do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoqHmabXZkY

QN
02-27-2012, 01:45 PM
In honor of Sully, yes I will! That's how we do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoqHmabXZkY

Ah yes, the NEBS sing-a-long...
I'm sure you will not be going solo on that refrain. I am very familiar with it, just ask Andy King.

BoneDaddy's
02-28-2012, 06:58 AM

Alan

Alan,

Dave and I will be there again...gotta have a strong New England presence.

Frank

Ponderosa BBQ
02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm really looking forward to competing down to MIM

Swinebuck
02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
I went down to the MIM office yesterday and gave them our application. Remember today is the deadline to enter

Ponderosa BBQ
02-29-2012, 06:15 AM
i look forward in cooking the shoulder division man my first timein MIM with my team it should be FUN!

U2CANQUE
02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
i look forward in cooking the shoulder division man my first timein MIM with my team it should be FUN!

Should be fun???:loco:
Duuuuuuuuuude, we will make sure that it is all that and a bag of chips

msavard
02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Matt: I saw your two story trailer parked across the street from my wife's school. I thought you were keeping it at the furniture factory.
Thanks
Mike G

It's stashed on a back road down off Goodman Road (302) in Mississippi actually. Where is your wife's school? Are you sure it was ours? It's been stashed for quite a few months back there.

Our Tucker is locked in my side yard. Going to be firing up the WSM this sunday actually.

Swinebuck
03-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Matt. My wife school is across the street from your trailer on that side road off Goodman. I am sure it is your trailer. I have spilled too many beers on it not to recognize it. I have been keeping an eye on it for you.
Thanks
Mike G

ROF, Texas
03-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Very interested! What are the exact dates and what catagories may be available?

MikeMSD
03-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Very interested! What are the exact dates and what catagories may be available?

Memphis in May is May 17-19. I'll PM you with contact details for Neil. He can give you details on any open categories.

msavard
03-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Matt. My wife school is across the street from your trailer on that side road off Goodman. I am sure it is your trailer. I have spilled too many beers on it not to recognize it. I have been keeping an eye on it for you.
Thanks
Mike G

Excellent! :) We appreciate it! :thumb:

SmokeInDaEye
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Anyone know what the prize money is for people's choice? I can't find anything on the mim website.

TooSaucedToPork
03-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Anyone know what the prize money is for people's choice? I can't find anything on the mim website.

What I have been told:

Peoples Choice is currently up in the air. Memphis in May is currently re-evaluating the rules and procedures. They will be announcing the new People's Choice Contest guidelines sometime after the acceptance letters go out but before the cooks meeting.

Last Year's payouts

First Place $2,500
Second Place $1,250
Third Place $1,000

TooSaucedToPork
03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Memphis in May is May 17-19. I'll PM you with contact details for Neil. He can give you details on any open categories.

Welcome to the Brethren Mike.

BoneDaddy's
03-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Flight booked, hotel booked, car booked, ingrediants submitted to marc

I guess I am ready to go, any chance we can move the event up to next weekend so I don't have to wait any longer?

TooSaucedToPork
03-08-2012, 10:03 AM
No Diggity!!!

Can't wait, its gonna be a great year!

imperfectutopia
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Well, I regret that contrary to my previous post a few months ago, my team was unable to get our $@#T together this year to compete unfortunately, but I WILL be there enjoying the festivities! Have never hung out with any of the guys I talk to on here, would love to meet some of ya who will be there. Yall let me know if you would like to enjoy a nice adult beverage some time that week!

TooSaucedToPork
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Well, I regret that contrary to my previous post a few months ago, my team was unable to get our $@#T together this year to compete unfortunately, but I WILL be there enjoying the festivities! Have never hung out with any of the guys I talk to on here, would love to meet some of ya who will be there. Yall let me know if you would like to enjoy a nice adult beverage some time that week!

Defintitely come to the Brethren Party...

Of course Brethren are welcome to come chat with us at any time during the contest...

If you are wanting to join a team for the contest both Moe of Ponderosa BBQ and us (Too Sauced To Pork) offered the Brethren a chance to join our teams for the contest :becky:

imperfectutopia
03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
That sounds great! I'll definitely be there!

TooSaucedToPork
03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
:clap2:We just got the confirmation email about Memphis in May. We are officially in! :clap2:

msavard
03-08-2012, 05:37 PM
:clap2:We just got the confirmation email about Memphis in May. We are officially in! :clap2:

Same! Very excited we got our 24x40 and SHOULD be on the River...we'll see once the kit comes out.

One new addition to the Slab Yo Mama team this year is Neil McClure of McClure's BBQ (http://www.yelp.com/biz/mcclures-barbecue-new-orleans) down in New Orleans, LA as Assistant Pitmaster. Neil will be bringing a ton to the table this year. He's the former GM of Dante's Kitchen (My favorite restaurant in the USA) and has a lot of background in cajun/creole style cooking as well as BBQ.

Gambit article >
(http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/new-orleans-barbecue/Content?oid=1968281)
He left the GM gig to lay out a shingle with his own brand of BBQ. Every morning he is up at 2am firing up his Lang 60, throwing the meat on. Guy cuts ZERO corners. All sauces are scratch made. His "Pork and Pork and Beans" are cooked from scratch on site. He even fresh shreds his own cheese for his soon-to-be-famous "4 Cheese & Macaroni". Point is, he's one of the few people that will be able to keep up with our Pitmaster, Courtney. Guy brings BBQ chops, plus a certain Creole skillset that will be helping us with some ancillaries this year. :icon_shy

I'm already champing at the bit over here...ready to get this ball rolling!

msavard
03-08-2012, 06:03 PM
By the way..

WE WILL BUY ANY EXTRA 24HR WRISTBANDS OR WED PASSES!

Please contact me if anyone has any extras!

MikeMSD
03-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the Brethren Mike.

Thanks, been lurking around for a while. Finally decided to start posting.

Iamarealbigdog
03-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Got our official confirmation, we be in whole hog row on the river... Whoo Hooo

Mike
Black Pig BBQ

Neil, remind your team that my girls are still under 21...

Blake, they all miss you and can't wait to see you... virgin margaritas still please

TooSaucedToPork
03-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Got our official confirmation, we be in whole hog row on the river... Whoo Hooo

Mike
Black Pig BBQ

Neil, remind your team that my girls are still under 21...

Blake, they all miss you and can't wait to see you... virgin margaritas still please

HAHA!!! will do...they will get NO booze in our tent, we have bartenders this year and they will check ID :becky:

TooSaucedToPork
03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Team List For Memphis in May 2012

10 Bones BBQ | 4 Pork Harmony | Adribbers | Airpork Pilots | All Star Ten-Pin Porkers | Annesdale Pork | Aporkalypse Now | ASAP | Auto Be Grillin | Baby Back Grillers | Allstars Bad Bob's BBQ | Bad Pig BBQ | The Barbecue Experiment | Barbecue Joe | Barbeque Republic | Bare Bones | The Bastey Boys | BBQ Beach | BBQ Team | Beckerle Championship Cookers | The Beef N' the Chicken | The Best Little Boarhouse | Big Al and the Buttrubbers | Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q | Big Bubba's Bar-B-Q-N Crew | Big River | Black Jack Barbecue | Black Pig BBQ | B oar House Smokers | Boardello's | Boars Night Out | Boars R Us | Born in the Que-S-A | Boss Pit | Brazin' Assets | Brown Chicken Brown Cow | Brown Man Kitchen | Bryce Boar Blazers | Buckeye BBQ Team | Bulab Barbecuers | Bush Hogs | Bushwood Country Club | Butchers Selection at ASDA | Cadillac Grillz | Camo Cookers | Can-Do BBQ Team | Carolina Travler | Castle Cookers | Central Smokers | Chatham Artillery BBQ | Chauvinist Pig | Cherry Red Roasters | Chillin'-N-Grillin' | The Chi-Town Cookers | City Hogs | Contempt of Pork/Nailing Down the Pork | Cool Smoke | Cotton Pickin Porkers | The Count Bastie Porkestra | Crispy Critters | Crosstown Neighborhood BBQ | Curly Tail Smokers | Danish National BBQ Team | Deeez Butts | Delta Bones | Diamond D Cooking Team | Dirty Hogs | Doc's Painless Pulled Pork | Don't Burn the Pig | Emily's Tennessee Prime | Fabulous Faultliners | Famous Dave's | The Fat Back Collective | Fat Side Up | Field of Pigs | Fire House 5 | Fireman John's BBQ | The Flying Pigs | Fossil Fueled Porkers | Getting Piggy With It | Give the Devil His Que | Gnarly Wine & Swine | The Good, The Bad & The Swine | The Grand Masters Cooking Disasters | Greasland Porkers | Grillin-N-Squillin Smokers | Gwatney Championship BBQ Team | Half Porked | Hall Pass BBQ | Here for the Beer | High Life On The Hog | Hog Express | Hog Heaven | Hog Nebula | Hog Wild Competition Team | The Hogfather | Hoggystyle | Hogs & Kisses | Hogweiser | In Porcus Veritas | International Team | I-Pork | Jacks Old South | JRG Cooking | Kill'em & Grill'em Que | Killer Hogs | Knob Creek Smokers | Lazy Pig Smokers | Lille's Q | Lip Smackin' Que | Lord of the Swine | Love Meat Tender | LVOB | MacDaddy Meat | Mac's Smoke Shop | Magically Piglicious | The Master Basters | Meat & Cider Cook N Team | Meat Makers | Meat Mitch | Meat, Drink and Be Merry | Mid-South Mayham | Modern Porkfolio Theory | The Moody Ques | Moonlight Smokers | Natural Born Grillers | Nortorious P.I.G. | The Norwegian National Barbecue Team | The Not Ready for Swine Time Porkers | NUVA Swine and Spine | Oinking on the River | Olde Smokers Fine Swine | On Asswinement | Optimus Swine | The Other Team | Pages Pig Pen | Paradise Porkers | Parrothead Porkers of Hogaritaville | Peg Leg Porkers | People Eating Tasty Animals | People's Republic of Swina | Performance Smokers | Peyton Place Motley Que | P-Funk & The Fatback All-Stars | Philips International Grilling Sensations (P.I.G.S.) | Pig Cookers of America | Pig Diamonds | Pig Nation | Pig Pandemonium | Pig Stars | Pig-A-Licious | Pigs Gone Wild | Pigs in Gin | Pigs in Space | Pigs O War | The Pit and The Pigulum II | Planet Barbeque | Poker Porkers | Pork & Bean Counters | Pork Fiction | Pork Me Baby | Pork Me Tender | Pork O Saurus | Pork Que | The Pork University | Porkstars | Pot Bellie Cookers | Prime Time BBQ | Pure Pleasure Porkers | Quality Fine Swine | Que-T-Licious | Q-Wiggly | Rack Pack | Rebel Roaster Revue | Red Dawg Porkers | Red Hot Smokers | Redneck Bar-B-Q Express | Refined Swine | Rescue Smokers | Reservior Hogs | Ribdiculous | Bar-B-Krewe | Riberty | Ribmasters | Rickety Rack | Right on Q | Sanders Smoke N Que | Serial Grillers | Sharp Smokers | The Shed BBQ & Blues Joint | Ship Racked | Shoats & Skins | Sicilian Smokers | Silky O' Sullivan's | Simple Q | Slab Techs | Slab Yo' Mama BBQ | Slabs a' Smokin | Slapjo Mama BBQ Hog Cooking Team | Sloppy Chops | Smell My Butt BBQ | Smoke Masters | Smoke'em If You Got'em | Smokers Anonymous | Smokin' On The River | Smokin Spiders | Smokin' With an Attitude | Smok-in-Razor Backs | Snout Kast | South Carolina Swiners | South Pork | Southaven Meathogs | Southern Porklore | Sow Luau | Squeal Street BBQ | SSG Ribbers | Suspicious Rinds | Sweet Swine O'Mine | Swig N' Swines | Swiggin n Piggin | Swine & Dine | The Swinery | The Swinos | Sysco's Cajun Cookers Too | Tangled Up In Que | Team F.U.B.A.R.-Becue | Three Alarm Smokers | Tombstone Cookers | Too Sauced to Pork | Totally Boar'd | Tower Rock | Transporkers | Tucker Cooker | Twyford BBQ & Catering | Ubons | Victory Lane BBQ | Voo Doo Q | Where My Boars At? | Whole Hog Café | Wild Boar Smokers | Will-Be-Que BBq Team | Willingham's River City Rooters | World Famous Larry Williams/Spiderpigs | Yazoo's Delta Q | Yeah-I-Do Cook'N Crew

wingpirate
03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey guys, I finally decided to start using my Brethren account (usually I just lurk).

I cannot wait for this year's competition. It like waiting for Christmas as a child...almost there, yet so far away.

Less than 55 days away!

TooSaucedToPork
03-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Hey guys, I finally decided to start using my Brethren account (usually I just lurk).

I cannot wait for this year's competition. It like waiting for Christmas as a child...almost there, yet so far away.

Less than 55 days away!

DANNY!!! Welcome to the Brethren brother...

msavard
03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Slab Yo Mama BBQ : We just lined up a deal with Red Bull for this year. We'll be moving up... adding a 2nd level of scaffolding to our setup this year to facilitate a catering dinner for the reps they're flying in. we'll have a 14x40 double decker scaffolding up against our usual 40ft double decker trailer. Should be a pretty fun setup! The arrangement opens up a few new opportunities for us entertainment wise.

Unfortunately any financial gain was offset when we got word that we need to add a second dually axle to the trailer and get a new round of tires. $3-4k later... :)

Looks like Neil McClure will be bringing up his Lang 84 Deluxe model for us to cook on this year to afford us added capacity over our usual Tucker setup. Plus with the warmer/cold-smoker and the chargrill it should offer more flexibility as well.

Counting down the days...

TooSaucedToPork
03-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Slab Yo Mama BBQ : We just lined up a deal with Red Bull for this year. We'll be moving up... adding a 2nd level of scaffolding to our setup this year to facilitate a catering dinner for the reps they're flying in. we'll have a 14x40 double decker scaffolding up against our usual 40ft double decker trailer. Should be a pretty fun setup! The arrangement opens up a few new opportunities for us entertainment wise.

Unfortunately any financial gain was offset when we got word that we need to add a second dually axle to the trailer and get a new round of tires. $3-4k later... :)

Looks like Neil McClure will be bringing up his Lang 84 Deluxe model for us to cook on this year to afford us added capacity over our usual Tucker setup. Plus with the warmer/cold-smoker and the chargrill it should offer more flexibility as well.

Counting down the days...

Nice...

Can't wait to see the setup

Cack
03-29-2012, 02:05 PM
I MIGHT make this years, but will definitely be just looking on. We're planning a trip to Memphis, and I'm pushing that it needs to be that weekend.

Steno88
03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
I would like to meet some of you as well stop by Redneck BBQ Express and ask for Steno Head Pitmaster and we will have a nice cool beverage.

QN
03-29-2012, 03:41 PM
I would like to meet some of you as well stop by Redneck BBQ Express and ask for Steno Head Pitmaster and we will have a nice cool beverage.

Looking forward to meeting you. I bet you have some great stories after 35 years of MIM; assuming you are part of the orginal Redneck BBQ Express that started out in 1977 :-D

TooSaucedToPork
03-29-2012, 03:54 PM
4PM Thursday of MIM

Brethren Mixer in the Too Sauced To Pork Tent...

All members of the BBQ Brethren Welcome...

Neil

BoneDaddy's
03-30-2012, 07:15 AM
we will need a list of Brethern members to take with us to MiM...to many to keep in my tiny little brain!

Cack
03-30-2012, 03:07 PM
4PM Thursday of MIM

Brethren Mixer in the Too Sauced To Pork Tent...

All members of the BBQ Brethren Welcome...

Neil

If I'm there ... I'M THERE

we will need a list of Brethern members to take with us to MiM...to many to keep in my tiny little brain!

Good idea

Gore
03-30-2012, 03:11 PM
I'll be there escorting about 20 geeks around. If you see someone with a squirrel leading a bunch of nerdy-looking dweebs, you'll know to put out the do-not-enter signs.

TooSaucedToPork
04-04-2012, 12:37 PM
UPDATE:

(QUE horrible Unsolved Mysteries Music)

2nd team packet just came in with all the order forms...no map yet

As soon as they get us a map I will mark all brethren teams, pdf it, and post it.

We still have 6 membership spots left on team Too Sauced To Pork if anyone is interested. Talk to everyone soon!:becky:

Neil

Swinebuck
04-04-2012, 09:16 PM
The packet included our booth number it is R-090. As soon as the map is out we can find out where we are. One thing that was absent from the packet was the application for People's Choice Contest. We hope this is still going to happen.

Gore
04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
UPDATE:

(QUE horrible Unsolved Mysteries Music)

2nd team packet just came in with all the order forms...no map yet

As soon as they get us a map I will mark all brethren teams, pdf it, and post it.

We still have 6 membership spots left on team Too Sauced To Pork if anyone is interested. Talk to everyone soon!:becky:

Neil

Really? Six membership spots left? And I'll be busy with a workshop until about noon on Saturday. :mmph: I could still take care of the salmon entry if needed.

TooSaucedToPork
04-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Really? Six membership spots left? And I'll be busy with a workshop until about noon on Saturday. :mmph: I could still take care of the salmon entry if needed.

Seafood contest is on Friday :sad:

Saturday is Ribs, Whole Hog, and Shoulder

Neil

TooSaucedToPork
04-04-2012, 11:27 PM
For those of you that would like to see what MIM is all about, we wrote this guide to help people out...

http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/guide-to-memphis-in-may-bbq-fest-a-k-a-mim-wcbcc/

Neil

ThomEmery
04-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Did Rick and Holly get connected up with you?

TooSaucedToPork
04-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Did Rick and Holly get connected up with you?

I have yet to hear from them...pm me their info and I will send an email

Neil

Cack
04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
i'm inching closer and closer to making it to the comp ... we'll probably only be there 1 full day because we're wanting to check out Graceland again also ... i will have a definite answer by next week (because I know all of you are dying to meet Cack ... that 90% of you don't even know haha)

Cack
04-08-2012, 05:52 PM
It looks like I will be in attendance this year. I hope to be there for the Brethren get together Thursday, but I REALLY want to be there for Friday. To get to see the rib and all cooks. Hopefully I can talk them into both.

Ulcer Acres
04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Twyford BBQ is in spot R69. We will venture over on Thursday.

TooSaucedToPork
04-09-2012, 07:13 AM

That is most excellent. We are in R090, within crawling distance if need be :clap:

Cack
04-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Sooooooo we're going to be there. However, I doubt we'll be able to make it Thursday. I will definitely make the trip around to everyones location if I can.

msavard
04-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Slab will be throwing it down riverside at R-016 this year. Our ability to be BBQbretheren freindly will be heavily dependent on tent traffic. We expect to be at or near capacity on thursday and friday evenings.

Eager to see the map! About 30-odd days till load-in!

msavard
04-09-2012, 06:34 PM
THE MAP
http://gravity-interactive.com/2012WCBCCMap.pdf

Enjoy!

vexter1
04-10-2012, 05:51 AM
S-189 For The Norwegians this year - been practicing shoulder as much as possible - can't wait to get there!!!

Swinebuck
04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Vexter: Look forward to seeing you again. As a former winner of People Choice have you herd anything from MIM on the contest?
Thanks
Mike

Cack
04-10-2012, 09:09 AM
THE MAP
http://gravity-interactive.com/2012WCBCCMap.pdf

Enjoy!

Thanks, is there a full list of all of the Brethren teams?

Swinebuck
04-10-2012, 09:56 AM
We are trying to put a Brethren list together but we need the Brethern teams to respond so we can identify them.

Cack
04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
ok sounds good. i need to figure out a way to get that pdf to be printer friendly. i'll have to alter it on photoshop i guess

TooSaucedToPork
04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I created a JPG image of the map and marked all the Brethren Teams, their booth numbers, and listed everyones handle next to their team name.

MikeMSD will be posting it later this afternoon.

Cheers,

Neil

QN
04-10-2012, 01:30 PM

Hey Randy, the team list shows you in R-070. Maybe the list I got is incorrect.
R-069
Beef N' the Chicken, The
R-070
Twyford BBQ & Catering
R-071
Performance Smokers

Ulcer Acres
04-10-2012, 05:04 PM
You are right Mark, it is 70, I was thinking of our neighbors that are in 69. Great bunch and the have one of the skyscraper set ups. Last year they were 2nd in best booth.

MikeMSD
04-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was going to post this earlier, but work got crazy. Here is the MiM Brethren Map that Neil put together.

http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/MIM-map-with-Brethren-locations.jpg

msavard
04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Friendly Reminder:
Slab Yo Mama will have limited involvement. I'll try to accommodate folks during the day but at night it's likely going to be "invite only" and we'll be pushing capacity. Dropping my name at the door won't help you much so unless youve come by during the day please don't drag me away from the kitchen/bar/etc at 8pm when things are in full swing. Thanks! :)

Sorry not trying to be a jerk... things just get pretty hectic during peak hours and it seems like every 5 minutes someone is dropping my name at the door. I've just stopped responding unless I get a text from a friend.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228206_2033652484370_1335913389_32382429_3270106_n .jpg

TooSaucedToPork
04-11-2012, 07:32 AM
DISCLAIMER:

I created the map for Brethren to know where other Brethren are. Everyone should realize that the map is not an open invite into fellow Brethren’s team booths; it is just a location tool.

As for invites into team booths:

You all should already know that Too Sauced To Pork is hosting a Brethren Mixer at 4pm on Thursday. There are 6 of us on the team that are Brethren, so if you are unable to make the mixer, please come by during the daylight hours Thursday or Friday, or after 3pm on Saturday so that we can make your acquaintance.

If there are other teams out there that would like to extend an olive branch to fellow Brethren, go ahead and post here or pm me, and I will make a final list.

Cheers,

Neil

Iamarealbigdog
04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
DISCLAIMER:

If there are other teams out there that would like to extend an olive branch to fellow Brethren, go ahead and post here or pm me, and I will make a final list.

Neil

It may be a fun day, if not abused. Perhaps we can put together a program or tour that will work out for the teams and the Brethren,

Email sent Neil...

Cack
04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
We'll probably walk around to all of the booths and check them out, but probably won't say anything to anyone. You wouldn't believe the looks you get when I walk up to someone and say "Hey I'm cack" and they don't know what that means ... ok, maybe you would believe the looks I get.

I'll have my Brethren shirt on, so if you see a goof ball with a hot lady on his arm ... that'd be me

TooSaucedToPork
04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
We'll probably walk around to all of the booths and check them out, but probably won't say anything to anyone. You wouldn't believe the looks you get when I walk up to someone and say "Hey I'm cack" and they don't know what that means ... ok, maybe you would believe the looks I get.

I'll have my Brethren shirt on, so if you see a goof ball with a hot lady on his arm ... that'd be me

By all means stop in to our booth an say hi. We are right smack dab in the middle of the contest and we'll give you a place to sit down and rest (use a sparkling clean port o john) and chat for a while.

SmokeInDaEye
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyone again! Just booked my ticket. Unfortunately I had to get a hotel room since my new house down there won't have furniture until mid-June.

Cack
04-11-2012, 03:37 PM
By all means stop in to our booth an say hi. We are right smack dab in the middle of the contest and we'll give you a place to sit down and rest (use a sparkling clean port o john) and chat for a while.

I'll definitely stop in there. I was meaning if someone hasn't CLEARLY invited me ... I'd never just walk up.

Plus, I think Redheart is hooking us up with some passes with ya'll

TooSaucedToPork
04-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Don't forget the deadline for teams to buy 3day wristbands, wed night tix, and other goodies is at the team meeting Sunday April 15th...ie in about 8 hours.

Neil

TooSaucedToPork
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
From the information I have been given yesterday - The Memphis Health Department pulled the plug on the People's Choice contest.

Stupid idea, it lets the crowds participate in the event, now its back to people gatecrashing our booths for food...ahhhh memories

Neil

MikeMSD
04-16-2012, 11:38 PM
From the information I have been given yesterday - The Memphis Health Department pulled the plug on the People's Choice contest.

Stupid idea, it lets the crowds participate in the event, now its back to people gatecrashing our booths for food...ahhhh memories

Neil

You would think the Health Department would be cool with some sort of posted notice. Just another case of not trusting people to make their own decisions of what's best for them.

Cack
04-17-2012, 08:05 AM
call me crazy, but if you're at a WORLD COOKING CHAMPIONSHIP shouldn't you know how not to kill people?

Iamarealbigdog
04-17-2012, 08:33 AM
call me crazy, but if you're at a WORLD COOKING CHAMPIONSHIP shouldn't you know how not to kill people?

nothing about sending your competition to the porcelain throne for the day...:icon_devil

heh heh heh

Mike

TOPPER-Q
04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Trying to get the elusive kitchen pass, but it looks all good so far, hope to get too actually put some faces with all ya'll........ dosn't beer kill all the bad stuff we eat? Damn the health dept!

Cack
04-17-2012, 03:29 PM
nothing about sending your competition to the porcelain throne for the day...:icon_devil

heh heh heh

Mike

Ah, I see what you did there ... nicely done

Cack
04-18-2012, 08:22 AM
My shirt came in so i'm all good for the competition now. Just sucks the "ash grey" arrived as a light cream and my "large" and AT LEAST an extra large in 99% of other companies

QN
04-18-2012, 10:53 AM
My shirt came in so i'm all good for the competition now. Just sucks the "ash grey" arrived as a light cream and my "large" and AT LEAST an extra large in 99% of other companies

Just received my ash gray two-sided shirt this morning. Definitely ash gray; looks good! I'll definitely be wearing it in Memphis. Still hoping for a hat/cap at some point.

Cack
04-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Just received my ash gray two-sided shirt this morning. Definitely ash gray; looks good! I'll definitely be wearing it in Memphis. Still hoping for a hat/cap at some point.

Thanks for rubbing it in :tsk:

Cack
04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Now that I look at it online. My shirt looks more like the "organic cotton" shirt ... screw organic ... i want the real stuff ... i will be contacting CafePress

this is what it looks like

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/39541728/shirts_organic_cotton_tee.jpg?color=Natural

QN
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Did you check the correct color box when you ordered? This two-sided tee comes in natural, ash grey, and light blue. Natural is the default color, but you can select the grey or blue and it will show the shirt in that color.
http://www.cafepress.com/bbqbrethren.36270459
http://i1.cpcache.com/product/36270459/2_sided_ash_grey_tshirt.jpg?color=AshGrey&height=240&width=240http://i1.cpcache.com/product/36270459/2_sided_ash_grey_tshirt.jpg?side=Back&color=AshGrey&height=240&width=240

Cack
04-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Aaahhhhh that's what happened. Why would they call it the "2 sided ASH GREY shirt" when you have to check a box to select ash grey? That's so dumb. Might see if I can switch it.

msavard
04-20-2012, 01:03 PM
So what are you guys all serving at your bars?

msavard
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
By the way, anyone using scaffolding, Direct is 100x easier to deal with than Tennessee Scaffold and are MUCH cheaper to boot. Holla at Matt Campbell at (901) 828-4287. They did our 14x40 double decker with all sorts of nice bells and whistles for HALF what Tennessee Scaffold quoted.

As an added plus they have a great relationship with MIM Office so they get into the park 3 days before any other companies. Trailer going in Saturday morning. We'll be built and ready to load in by Sunday night. Good stuff.

TooSaucedToPork
04-21-2012, 12:51 PM
So what are you guys all serving at your bars?

Wheatgrass shots and pineapple/mango smoothies...:crazy:

...booze man!!! This is MIM :becky::becky::becky:

msavard
04-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Try this one on for a side..... really really really good.

ngredients:
1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon apple juice
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
8 cinnamon sticks
1 to 1.5 liter of 190 proof moonshine or grain alcohol

Directions
In a large stock pot, combine the apple cider, apple juice, sugar, and cinnamon sticks.
Bring it to a boil, then take it off the heat and allow it to cool.
Add the liter of high proof liquor.
Pour this into mason jars, put the lids on, and let it mellow out. You could drink it right away, but it does get better after a couple of weeks.

This recipe makes about 9 quarts of apple pie moonshine

MikeMSD
04-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Now that's my kind of recipe. :clap::heh:

Swinebuck
04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Too Sauced To Pork will be serving BOURBON SHUSHES in the frozen drink machine. Very popular and unique.

BoneDaddy's
04-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Do they have bacon in them? Could be a secret ingredient!

Cack
04-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Not that you'd ever know where or how to get, on top of ever actually buy, moonshine ... I mean it is illegal and all :becky:

With that said, I need to get working on my cherry that's still in the fridge

msavard
04-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Not that you'd ever know where or how to get, on top of ever actually buy, moonshine ... I mean it is illegal and all :becky:

With that said, I need to get working on my cherry that's still in the fridge

As someone who went to college in appalachia, I'll go ahead and say I have had my fair share of shine. That old smoky mountain crap they sell in liquor stores is an abomination and an embarrassment to the name of the good **** I used to drink in the hills of east Tennessee.

Looks like we'll be mixing up just under 100 mason jars of "Slab Apple" complete with retro label and tax-stamp-esque seal across the lid.

Working on a label for the jars now...

http://gravity-interactive.com/slabapple_label.png

Cack
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
As someone who went to college in appalachia, I'll go ahead and say I have had my fair share of shine. That old smoky mountain crap they sell in liquor stores is an abomination and an embarrassment to the name of the good **** I used to drink in the hills of east Tennessee.

Looks like we'll be mixing up just under 100 mason jars of "Slab Apple" complete with retro label and tax-stamp-esque seal across the lid.

Working on a label for the jars now...

http://gravity-interactive.com/slabapple_label.png

Sweet, sounds good to me.

And I'm not far from you ... here in the foothills we our fair share of access. It's so funny everybody goes crazy over that gatlinburg tourist mess, but they don't realize it's not REAL shine. They have to run it through an extra time to bring down the proof so it's legal. It's still very strong, no doubt about that, but it's not pure shine.

msavard
04-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Anyone know anything about Smokers Anonymous or Pot Bellie Cookers?

They are our neighbors this year. Hoping they are both good folks who understand that BBQfest is a little rowdier than your average contest....

Cack
04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
So if we pick up the regular ol tickets at the gate. I'll be able to come over and meet you guys still right?

msavard
04-27-2012, 09:31 AM
So if we pick up the regular ol tickets at the gate. I'll be able to come over and meet you guys still right?

Yep. There are no tiered admissions really... you pay $8 or so to get into the park. Then each tent is an independent entity. You're either a guest or you're not.

HOnestly BBQfest is a LOT LOT less fun for people who don't know anyone on a team and can't get into a tent. I couldn't imagine wandering around smelling all that delicious 'que and watching all the parties with open bars.... then having to pay $4 for a can of bud and $6 for a damn corn dog. :becky:

SIDE NOTE:
MIM BBQFest named the #2 Festival in all of North America by Travelocity Employees:

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20120423005477/en/Travelocity/festivals/travel

Cack
04-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Ah sweet deal. We'll be coming on Friday, and I know that's the big cook day so I really don't expect to speak to many folks. We're just going to go check it out this year to see what it's all about. I wanted to make it over on Thurs too for the Brethren mixer, but I just don't think I'll be able to swing it.

msavard
04-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Ah sweet deal. We'll be coming on Friday, and I know that's the big cook day so I really don't expect to speak to many folks. We're just going to go check it out this year to see what it's all about. I wanted to make it over on Thurs too for the Brethren mixer, but I just don't think I'll be able to swing it.

There are some turn-ins but Friday isn't that bad... Saturday is the day where teams really get down to business.

TooSaucedToPork
04-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Too get a good idea of BBQ Fest read these

http://www.extraordinarybbq.com/competition-101-memphis-in-may/

http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/guide-to-memphis-in-may-bbq-fest-a-k-a-mim-wcbcc/

Neil

Cack
04-30-2012, 09:38 AM
There are some turn-ins but Friday isn't that bad... Saturday is the day where teams really get down to business.

I thought Friday was the Ribs etc day?

Question ... I know you said you're not a fan of people dropping your name ... but ... anyway to get a taste of that cold beverage you mentioned above if you make a batch for it?

Shoot me a PM if that'd be ok

Like I said, we're going to be the "tourist" viewers this year. Checking everything out in passing, so you will not hurt my feelings if you tell me to go the fark on :laugh:

Cack
04-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Ok so the main cooks are Saturday ...?

We haven't bought our tickets to Graceland yet. I REALLY want to go to the BBQ festival Thursday and Friday, but I just don't think I can mustard that up. I know my g/f won't want to go to Graceland on a Saturday.

TooSaucedToPork
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM

Question ... I know you said you're not a fan of people dropping your name ... but ... anyway to get a taste of that cold beverage you mentioned above if you make a batch for it?

Like I said, we're going to be the "tourist" viewers this year. Checking everything out in passing, so you will not hurt my feelings if you tell me to go the fark on :laugh:

The days are full of contests, 16 different categories over 3 days. The nights are full of raging parties, many of which have huge buffet dinners, DJ’s, light shows, dance floors and multiple bars on multiple stories of a BBQ booth. When I say booth, I know you picture a ten foot by ten foot EZup with a table and some smokers. NOPE! These monstrosities are larger than most people’s houses. Many are 26ft wide by 50ft deep. That is 1300 square feet, before you start adding levels to them… That’s right MULTIPLE STORY booths. Some of these scaffolding-boned portable structures are 3 stories tall, that’s 3900 square feet of Pure Porkin’ Party.
[/URL]

Thursday is the Best Booth, Best T-shirt, and the Ms. Piggie Idol contest. First two are self-explanatory, the third is well….more complicated. Performers wear elaborate costumes, many featuring full-figured men in Pig Drag, singing porked up versions of popular songs. An absolute MUST SEE! Winners have included “Rib in a Box”, “Grills, Grills, Grills”, “Sweet Swine O’ Mine”, and the “Swine Warp”. The best time to connect with teams is on this day. Come in from 11am-1pm when admission is free. Go around and ask about their cookers, no team can resist showing off. Awards are in the early evening and then a band is called in to finish out the night…this year it is Cowboy Mouth. Jenny says there will be some great times and awesome Que for all.

Friday is chocked full of competition cooking with the ancillary division contests. Categories include Tomato, Mustard and Vinegar Sauces; meat categories which include Beef, Poultry, Exotic, and Seafood, as well as the Hot Wings contest. A band plays before the awards, and then another after. Many cooking teams throw down the party on Thursday but are very much reserved on Friday night in anticipation for Saturdays turn-ins. Of course that is just the cooking crew (about 5 people), the REST of the team, which on some teams include up to 200 members, live high on the hog and party till the cops shut them down for quiet time at midnight.
[URL="http://www.extraordinarybbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/photo.jpg"] (http://www.extraordinarybbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/photo_12.jpg)

Saturday is held in the reverence of a Sunday morning Baptist church. There are no loud stereos, no parties, and no sign of the Carnival like atmosphere of the previous days. This is the Church of Cochon. Today we celebrate and piously reflect upon the main pork categories of Ribs, Shoulder, and Whole Hog. Every team has a blind box to turn in, and three onsite judges to schmooze. Booths are dolled up prettier than a 5th Avenue fine dining restaurant. Silver platters hold racks of ribs, exotic lettuces and fruits ornately decorate grilles and smokers, and you could even spot a team or two wearing tuxes, and greeting judges with a maitre d’. After all is said and done the long wait begins…only 3 teams from each category make the finals. We all wait for a smiling guy in a golf cart to attach a sign to your fence, signaling you are a finalist. When this happens, and HUGE cheer erupts, then you go into panic mode. That sign means 4 judges are coming to your booth to judge your pork. Fast forward to 6:30pm, everyone gathers at the main stage for the awards. The MC comes on and announces 10th through 1st place. If you didn’t final you pray for 4th-10th a HUGE honor in a field of 250

Pretty much sums it up!

Cheers,

Neil

TooSaucedToPork
04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Ok so the main cooks are Saturday ...?

We haven't bought our tickets to Graceland yet. I REALLY want to go to the BBQ festival Thursday and Friday, but I just don't think I can mustard that up. I know my g/f won't want to go to Graceland on a Saturday.

Graceland only takes about 2 hours...it ain't that big. Its the prettiest house a truck driver from Mississippi could ever want...:becky:

Come to the contest Thurs. around noon for the free admission. Come to the Brethren party in our tent at 4pm.

Friday morning/mid afternoon do graceland and sightsee, then come back to the contest for dinner and party

Saturday come to the contest around 11 to watch all the onsite judging, then walk around downtown and come back for the awards at 6:30 and the afterparty til 10pm.

Thats what I would do :mrgreen:

Cack
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks Neil ... I tried ... got shot down.

Her mom is going with us, so she wants to "tour Memphis". I told Dawn "doesn't she realize that Memphis is more or less only downtown, Beale, and Graceland?"

msavard
04-30-2012, 03:05 PM

PM Sent! :thumb:

msavard
04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Pretty much sums it up!

Cheers,

Neil

Neil pretty much nailed it.

We party hard on thursday and harder on friday. Our pitmaster and wing/seafood crew bust their asses earlier in the day but festivities start with dinner and carry on into the night. Saturday some teams cut up a bit after awards but most are worn out and start breaking down a bit. We usually load up our cart with a keg and bar supplies and take it to judging, then have a few more back at the tent.

I like to have a nice NON-BBQ dinner on saturday night and get a decent night sleep since Sunday is breakdown (lot of work).

msavard
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
One last attempt to pick up any extra Wednesday Night Passes?

TooSaucedToPork
04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks Neil ... I tried ... got shot down.

Her mom is going with us, so she wants to "tour Memphis". I told Dawn "doesn't she realize that Memphis is more or less only downtown, Beale, and Graceland?"

Not true...Memphis has ALOT to tour. Most People who bring their families to the contest send them out into Memphis to tour while they Q at the contest.

The Zoo is one of the best in the country
Midtown has shopping, restaurants, and sightseeing
Sun Studio
Pink Palace
Riverboat tours
Memphis Botanic Gardens
Cooper - Young area

Cheers,

Neil

TooSaucedToPork
04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
One last attempt to pick up any extra Wednesday Night Passes?

I gotta team that might have about 6-7 xtra 24 hour passes...you interested?

Cack
05-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Not true...Memphis has ALOT to tour. Most People who bring their families to the contest send them out into Memphis to tour while they Q at the contest.

Sun Studio
Pink Palace
Riverboat tours
Memphis Botanic Gardens
Cooper - Young area

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks I'll pass it along. Sun Studio was actually one thing I didn't get to visit my last trip to Memphis.

I do, however, believe I've won the battle to include Thursday afternoon/night at the Comp. What time (guestament) does the Ms. Piggie and such begin? I'm REALLY hoping we can be there for the Brethren Mixer too.

msavard
05-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Most definitely. PM Sent!

MikeMSD
05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks I'll pass it along. Sun Studio was actually one thing I didn't get to visit my last trip to Memphis.

I do, however, believe I've won the battle to include Thursday afternoon/night at the Comp. What time (guestament) does the Ms. Piggie and such begin? I'm REALLY hoping we can be there for the Brethren Mixer too.

Ms. Piggie Idol is 6pm-7pm on Thursday. Hope we get to see you at the Brethren Mixer.

Cack
05-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Ms. Piggie Idol is 6pm-7pm on Thursday. Hope we get to see you at the Brethren Mixer.

Perfect :clap:

blues_n_cues
05-02-2012, 07:52 AM
we're planning on going @ least to the last day concerts. some friends/associates (black stone cherry)are playing the bud light stage that afternoon.:clap:

TooSaucedToPork
05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
we're planning on going @ least to the last day concerts. some friends/associates (black stone cherry)are playing the bud light stage that afternoon.:clap:

Are you talking about the Beale Street Music Festival or the World Championship BBQ Contest? The only concert on Saturday at the BBQ Contest is the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist competition...

msavard
05-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Are you talking about the Beale Street Music Festival or the World Championship BBQ Contest? The only concert on Saturday at the BBQ Contest is the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist competition...

Shot ya a PM. Will take all those passes if they got em.

10 DAYS TILL LOADIN BEGINS!!
:clap2:

blues_n_cues
05-02-2012, 10:01 AM

yeah, the music festival. we plan on wandering around the BBQ comp early in the day saturday then heading over to the music fest for the sat & sun concerts.

TooSaucedToPork
05-02-2012, 10:04 AM
yeah, the music festival. we plan on wandering around the BBQ comp early in the day saturday then heading over to the music fest for the sat & sun concerts.

Music Festival is this weekend May 4th-6th

World Championship BBQ Contest is May 16th-19th

Neil

blues_n_cues
05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Music Festival is this weekend May 4th-6th

World Championship BBQ Contest is May 16th-19th

Neil

lol.yer right. hard to read my calendar lately. too much going on in may.:icon_blush:

wingpirate
05-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Don't forget the Metal Museum, National Civil Rights Museum, The Brooks Museum of Art, The Rock & Soul Museum, The Center for Southern Folklore, The Fire Museum, Mud Island River Park, Stax Museum, and that's just for starters. :mrgreen:

Sun Studio
Pink Palace
Riverboat tours
Memphis Botanic Gardens
Cooper - Young area

Cheers,

Neil

Cack
05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
10 DAYS TILL LOADIN BEGINS!!
:clap2:

I'm soooooo ready ... not looking forward to the (by the time my g/f goes to pee 50 times) 10+ hr drive ... but soooooo ready to get up there and check this bad boy out

msavard
05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm soooooo ready ... not looking forward to the (by the time my g/f goes to pee 50 times) 10+ hr drive ... but soooooo ready to get up there and check this bad boy out

There are BBQ contests..... and then there is Memphis In May. :becky:

Cack
05-02-2012, 02:31 PM
There are BBQ contests..... and then there is Memphis In May. :becky:

I've never even been to a local BBQ contest :icon_blush:

msavard
05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Bar Supplies Order Finalized...

Alcoholic:
20 Kegs (Donated by Bardog)
10 Cases of Sobieski 1.75L Vodka (6 per case) (Heavy discount by Distributor)
1 Case 750ml 42 Below Vodka (12 per case) (Donated by Distributor)
1 Case 750ml Bacardi Rum (12 per case) (Donated by Distributor)
4 Cases 16oz Mason Jars of Apple Pie Moonshine (12 per case)
2 Cases, 32oz Bason Jars of Apple Pie Moonshine (6 per case)
2 Cases 750ml Red/White Wine (Mixed) (12 per case) (Donated by Distributor)
1500 2oz Jello Shots (Black Cherry, Grape, Blueberry, Lime, and Red Bull).

And then non-alcoholic:
40 Cases Red Bull (to get us started - Unlimited reloads) (Donated by RedBull)
7 Gallons Sweat Tea
15 Two-Liters Sprite
3 Two-Liters Each of Coke, Diet Coke, Diet Sprite.
3 Tubs - Country Time Lemonade Mix - 82.5 oz. can (makes 34 Quarts)
12 Cases of Bottled Water
40 Limes

Yeah... that should hold us over for a couple days http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/beer.gif

SmokeInDaEye
05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm already counting the steps from the Peabody to my first big arse beer on Beale St. once I land Wednesday night!

msavard
05-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm already counting the steps from the Peabody to my first big arse beer on Beale St. once I land Wednesday night!

Why wait for Beale.

Grab a nice drink at the Peabody Lounge while the GF/mother get ready. Gorgeous lobby and an excellent selection of fine beverages. I suggest 2 fingers of Jack Daniels Single Barrel on a single rock.

Then kick back and enjoy the scenery. Wednesday Nights are rooftop parties, meaning there while be scores of attrative 20-something and 30-something ladies in tiny dresses and heels parading through there between 6pm and 11pm :thumb:

SmokeInDaEye
05-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Why wait for Beale.

Grab a nice drink at the Peabody Lounge while the GF/mother get ready. Gorgeous lobby and an excellent selection of fine beverages. I suggest 2 fingers of Jack Daniels Single Barrel on a single rock.

Then kick back and enjoy the scenery. Wednesday Nights are rooftop parties, meaning there while be scores of attrative 20-something and 30-something ladies in tiny dresses and heels parading through there between 6pm and 11pm :thumb:

True dat! I'm flying solo all weekend so I plan on having a blast aside from a little work I need to do for Grilling.com. See you all in a couple weeks!

TooSaucedToPork
05-02-2012, 06:38 PM

Alcoholic:

And then non-alcoholic:
7 Gallons Sweat Tea
15 Two-Liters Sprite
40 Limes

Yeah... that should hold us over for a couple days http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/beer.gif

MMMMM...SWEAT TEA...:caked:

msavard
05-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Sorry man but are the 24Hr passes available?

If not we're going to start tapping other sources. We've offered asking price. I can maybe go 50 apiece (and throw in extra case of redbull or Couple bottles of Sobieski or something) after our last meeting today but that's likely it.

Not trying to be weird but I need to know where we stand as I have to travel on business later this week until BBQfest. I've committed to buy and I am a man of my word but I need some word from you guys ASAP or I am going to have to look elsewhere. L

msavard
05-02-2012, 09:17 PM
MMMMM...SWEAT TEA...:caked:

I dub it the Fat Guy Ice Pick! Cmon by and enjoy a few :razz:

Iamarealbigdog
05-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Alcoholic:

1500 Jello Shots... What Bill Cosby on your team ....:grin:

Mike
THe Black Pig BBQ

Cack
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM

Alcoholic:

And then non-alcoholic:
7 Gallons Sweat Tea
15 Two-Liters Sprite
40 Limes

Eehhh ... rookies :laugh:

Free is always a great thing

Cack
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Oh yeah ...

2 WEEKS AWAY!!!!!

Market Hunter
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Alcoholic:

Da ummm! :shocked:

And not one bag of pork skins in there anywhere? How's a man supposed to survive in those conditions? :tsk:

BoneDaddy's
05-04-2012, 07:03 AM

Alcoholic:

And then non-alcoholic:
7 Gallons Sweat Tea
15 Two-Liters Sprite
40 Limes

Can we add one item:
24 cases of Asprin

msavard
05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Can we add one item:
24 cases of Asprin

:becky:

Jokes aside, my recipe for surviving BBQfest:
• Vitamin Water Revive when I wake
• Healthy non-BBQ breakfast (usually shoot for fruit/yogurt/fiber)
• Zing Zang Bloody Mary upon arriving at the tent each morning
• 12oz bottle of water every 2-3 drinks
• As much of a a bottle of grape pedialyte as I can get down before bed

Cack
05-06-2012, 07:24 PM
A week and a half

msavard
05-06-2012, 08:30 PM
This should get things started.... (https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560283_10150915457945250_396337845249_12046733_183 9704258_n.jpg)

3/4 Sugar Free Redbull.... 1/4 Vodka.

This is about half the supply... we're gonna need another fridge.

Cack
05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
This should get things started.... (https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560283_10150915457945250_396337845249_12046733_183 9704258_n.jpg)

3/4 Sugar Free Redbull.... 1/4 Vodka.

This is about half the supply... we're gonna need another fridge.

That should be enough for appetizers

Iamarealbigdog
05-07-2012, 08:54 AM
anybody seen long range weather yet...?

Heat index of 33C to 43C... WTF That's way to hot for this Canadian boy :mad2:

SHBBQ
05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
anybody seen long range weather yet...?

Heat index of 33C to 43C... WTF That's way to hot for this Canadian boy :mad2:

I don't know what that means cause we use the F down here not the C. lol
:razz:

Iamarealbigdog
05-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I don't know what that means cause we use the F down here not the C. lol
:razz:

Well if you guys ever decided to drag your units of measure along to the rest of the world's standard... that would mean 109.4

or in layman's terms... TOO DANG HOT......

msavard
05-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Whoa!! Where are you seeing heat indexes of 109F for BBQfest!? Weather.com only goes out 10 days and they are saying 88F (temp, not index) for Wednesday!

Cack
05-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I thought you were supposed to double C to get to F as a rule of thumb?

BoneDaddy's
05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I thought you were supposed to double C to get to F as a rule of thumb?

Double C and add 30

BoneDaddy's
05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
May 16 on Weather.com...87 with a 60% chance of rain!

Cack
05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
May 16 on Weather.com...87 with a 60% chance of rain!

If the weather there is like it is in SC ... that forecast will change AT LEAST 5 times before that day gets here :tsk:

msavard
05-07-2012, 11:04 AM
If the weather there is like it is in SC ... that forecast will change AT LEAST 5 times before that day gets here :tsk:

Oh you can count on that...

Glad we'll have the scaffolding this year. two covered levels in the event of rain. Fingers crossed that it shakes out into just a passing storm or two. Need clear days fri/sat/thurs/wed (in that order) please! :angel:

SmokeInDaEye
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Glad I own a pool in Memphis. though I may have to sleep on a raft until the furniture arrives.

Iamarealbigdog
05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/US/TN/Memphis.html

Thursday
http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/k/chancetstorms.gifPartly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 33C with a heat index of 43C. Winds less than 5 km/h. Chance of rain 20% with rainfall amounts near 0.8 mm possible.

ugh.....

Cack
05-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Current weather forcast for next week

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2/cack5/MemphisWeather.png

warfrat
05-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Well, It's official! I'm making the trek to MIM. My brother is flying my Dad and I into the city airport Thursday afternoon. We are staying at the sleep inn. Looking forward to meeting and greeting and having a great time!

BBQ Grail
05-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Defintitely come to the Brethren Party...which will be (drum roll please)

I'll be there!

I arrive Wednesday afternoon and will start checking out the action.

LG

QN
05-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I'll be there Thursday afternoon; wearing my Brethren T-shirt. Look for me, I may be lost.... :becky:

Cack
05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Weather upday ...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2/cack5/MemphisWeather-1.png

msavard
05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Weather upday ...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2/cack5/MemphisWeather-1.png

Now THAT is more like it...

Cack
05-09-2012, 11:42 AM
You ain't lying. Mid 80s would be AMAZING

msavard
05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Did these go out to all teams?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401669_10150923982325250_396337845249_12070372_300 544175_n.jpg

I think we're going to do it. Seems getting paid $500 to enter a contest where you've got a 1 in 16 shot at $2500/$1250/$1000 prizes seems solid.

Cack
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
It's a win win situation

So are any of you cookers getting as jacked up as I am?

msavard
05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Hrm it appears my buddy with Pork Stars got the same message so they'll be entering as well. They took 7th in Ribs last year so perhaps it's something that has gone to "Top 10" teams? Or perhaps it went to everyone... who knows.

TooSaucedToPork
05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Hrm it appears my buddy with Pork Stars got the same message so they'll be entering as well. They took 7th in Ribs last year so perhaps it's something that has gone to "Top 10" teams? Or perhaps it went to everyone... who knows.

Top 10 only...this is what replaced the People's Choice contest.

msavard
05-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Top 10 only...this is what replaced the People's Choice contest.

Ah gotcha! Thanks man. You guys are always on the ball. :thumb:

TooSaucedToPork
05-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Ah gotcha! Thanks man. You guys are always on the ball. :thumb:

MiM has been working on it since the cooks meeting. You will have to let people with judging passes into your tent to give them samples.

Good thing is you get to do a People's Choice Face to Face. My suggestion is to load that pork with as much flavor as possible, make it taste like amazing restaurant BBQ. That is what normal people look for, they are not trained judges, they are just people looking for good bbq. Then you get your best BS'er next to a guy that spoons up the BBQ. Your BS'er can lay it on thick and make sure you get that vote. If by the rules, you can give them a bottle of water or beer with it do it. If the rules don't say you can't do it, then you can...Bribe Bribe Bribe... It is MIM, so do whatever you can to win, thats what a People's Choice IN A TEAM TENT is all about...popularity contest!

msavard
05-09-2012, 04:41 PM
MiM has been working on it since the cooks meeting. You will have to let people with judging passes into your tent to give them samples.

Good thing is you get to do a People's Choice Face to Face. My suggestion is to load that pork with as much flavor as possible, make it taste like amazing restaurant BBQ. That is what normal people look for, they are not trained judges, they are just people looking for good bbq. Then you get your best BS'er next to a guy that spoons up the BBQ. Your BS'er can lay it on thick and make sure you get that vote. If by the rules, you can give them a bottle of water or beer with it do it. If the rules don't say you can't do it, then you can...Bribe Bribe Bribe... It is MIM, so do whatever you can to win, thats what a People's Choice IN A TEAM TENT is all about...popularity contest!

Oh no doubt that is in the plans... I'll will scrutinize the rules closely. Our most "Gifted" females may end up doing the serving with our pitmaster there to talk them through it :biggrin1:

I'm eager to see how it works.

Cack
05-09-2012, 06:02 PM
This sounds pretty neat ... Can "the people" do this or other teams?

msavard
05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
This sounds pretty neat ... Can "the people" do this or other teams?

Most likely this is a general public thing :thumb:

Ulcer Acres
05-09-2012, 07:46 PM
We decieded not to do it. They are talking 200 people coming through your place. NO thanks,
I will be back down on Tuesday

msavard
05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
We decieded not to do it. They are talking 200 people coming through your place. NO thanks,
I will be back down on Tuesday

Yeah I'm a bit nervous about it. We're going to have to set up a "reception" area near the front of our main area where they're not all up in our booth. If they come in batches it's not really the end of the world.

May just set up on the banks of the river on the other side of the sidewalk :becky:

Cack
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Weather update ...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2/cack5/MemphisWeather-2.png

msavard
05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Weather update ...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2/cack5/MemphisWeather-2.png

Man... that's perfect. No way we're that lucky...

TooSaucedToPork
05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Man... that's perfect. No way we're that lucky...

Man, with stats like that we are bound to have another 2003 Tornado incident....No way we are that lucky!

Cack
05-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I hope these temps stick. We might be lucky, the big storm has been sweeping through all this week, so hopefully it hit this week and will be gone for next.

My g/f ask "so if we go to your Brethren thing on Thursday are you going to drink and get wastie faced with everybody?" ... I just looked at her and smiled haha

TooSaucedToPork
05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I hope these temps stick. We might be lucky, the big storm has been sweeping through all this week, so hopefully it hit this week and will be gone for next.

My g/f ask "so if we go to your Brethren thing on Thursday are you going to drink and get wastie faced with everybody?" ... I just looked at her and smiled haha

And she can get wastie faced also....her momma's comin with ya'll right?....she can DD:becky:

Cack
05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah she'll be with us ... they also make these things called Taxis. It's a pretty new idea, but when you don't feel like driving (or can't). You simply call this number and they pick you up and take you where you need to go ... I think it'll catch on.

Iamarealbigdog
05-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Your not getting the goals of the Brethren:tsk:

Drop the mother-in-law over at Slap your Mama,

Leave your girfriend over with us, we'lll take good care of her at the Black Pig:dancer:

You continue over at Too Sauced to Pork. :thumb:
Win, win, win.

msavard
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Your not getting the goals of the Brethren:tsk:

Drop the mother-in-law over at Slap your Mama,

Leave your girfriend over with us, we'lll take good care of her at the Black Pig:dancer:

You continue over at Too Sauced to Pork. :thumb:
Win, win, win.

It's SLAB yo mama ;)

And we cater more toward the 20-30 something ladies :becky:

TooSaucedToPork
05-10-2012, 01:56 PM
It's SLAB yo mama ;)

Mr. B's gotta have some fun too man! Gotta bring in some peeps for your elders!!!

HEHEHE

msavard
05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Anyone here thirsty?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/543373_10150924730995250_396337845249_12072019_857 755991_n.jpg

Iamarealbigdog
05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
It's SLAB yo mama ;)

It would be no fun if you just slab'd his mama... Ghezzz grow a pair

one little letter and a faulty spell check :mmph:

Iamarealbigdog
05-10-2012, 02:06 PM

And before you say anything I have been called the "Black PUG BBQ" at a competition of course... everybody cheered

I didn't get it....:crazy:

msavard
05-10-2012, 02:13 PM

:biggrin1:all good sir.

True story from last year....
THE TALE OF THE COPYCAT TEAM NAMES

e were up at awards and were F'n hammered by this point. Had a full bar in our cart and were partaking as we awaited awards.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/231195_2034167937256_1335913389_32382920_182968_n. jpg

Well at some point one of our buddies on the team (who was drunker than anyone) was up front and heard them say something about slab yo mama BBQ winning people's choice. He loses his mind, runs up and accepts the award, comes off the stage for an interview. Meanwhile we're like "Holy **** did we just win? Was that Sumner? Did we even ENTER people's choice? lol

Sumner comes back with the trophy.... looks sober enough right? lol
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223253_2034168777277_1335913389_32382921_5401195_n .jpg

Me inspecting the trophy and trying to calm the jubilant group into letting them know that we never ****in' entered People's Choice... and it was SLAPJO MAMA BBQ who won it.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/222986_2034169897305_1335913389_32382925_2228489_n .jpg

Unfortunately there was some celebration with the hardware before it was returned to it's rightful owners:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229174_2034171857354_1335913389_32382931_2847395_n .jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/228062_2034172137361_1335913389_32382932_137635_n. jpg

But, the good news is, it got there:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226950_2034169497295_1335913389_32382923_1304240_n .jpg

Serves em right for piggybacking off our name :)

Everyone lived happily ever after.
THE END

Iamarealbigdog
05-10-2012, 02:28 PM
:mrgreen: FRACKIN PRICELESS

Iamarealbigdog
05-10-2012, 02:30 PM
And Canadian Wiskey Shots for you...

Cack
05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
It's SLAB yo mama ;)

Well she'd be on the backside of that. She just turned 28 (I don't turn for another 2 months so I rag her about being OLD haha)

Iamarealbigdog
05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Well she'd be on the backside of that. She just turned 28 (I don't turn for another 2 months so I rag her about being OLD haha)

FRACK CACK, slab yo mama gets the mother-in-law, we get the girl...

Keep it straight

and at 28 we will take her sight unseen...

all though she may want to move to CANADA by the time you pick her back up...

Cack
05-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Keep it straight

Got it ... SlaB yo mama gets mother-in-law ...

but I couldn't subject her to canadians ... remember ... South Park ... Blame Canada :caked:(sorry I had to haha)

msavard
05-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Keep it straight

I can't help but feel we're getting the short end of the stick here.... :biggrin1:

Cack
05-10-2012, 03:15 PM
For when we get there. This is what me and the woman look like (if she's approached before me. I am not responsible for any bodily reactions)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/60508_10150260618565048_771015047_14711935_4241893 _n.jpg

Swinebuck
05-11-2012, 08:19 AM
IT'S LOAD IN TIME!!!! Matt: Time to get the trailer out of the vacant lot across from my wife's school. We have been building flooring all week so we can be ready. Hope it does not rain until the floor is down and the tents are up.

Cack
05-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Weather update ...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2/cack5/MemphisWeather-3.png

Swinebuck
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Weather has been updated to 60% chance of rain Saturday afternoon into early Sunday morning.