PDA

View Full Version : BBQ in Montgomery/Conroe TX

Chenernator
10-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Anyone have recommendations for good Q in the Montgomery/Conroe area? New Zion Missionary Baptist is one option, but I've seen some sketchy reviews for them. My parents are vegan:icon_blush: and I'm going to need a meat fix while I'm visiting.

iampaulb
11-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Rudy's is great for smoked meat. I prefer mixing their regular and "sissy" sauce together. Their smoked turkey is AWESOME! It is "fast food" but way better quality than "Dickies",

Besides, what is not to love of a place that has a country store and gas station attached.

Looks like there is one in Spring, TX, about 15-20 miles south of Conroe on the Interstate. Definitely worth the drive.

http://www.rudys.com/

Houston - I-45N Spring, TX
20806 Interstate 45
Spring, Harris,, TX 77373
Phone: 281-288-0916
Fax: 281-288-8029
Hours:
Sun-Thur 7:00AM-10:00PM
Fri-Sat 7:00AM-10:30PM

-Paul

Chenernator
12-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Rudy's is great for smoked meat. I prefer mixing their regular and "sissy" sauce together. Their smoked turkey is AWESOME! It is "fast food" but way better quality than "Dickies",

Besides, what is not to love of a place that has a country store and gas station attached.

Looks like there is one in Spring, TX, about 15-20 miles south of Conroe on the Interstate. Definitely worth the drive.

http://www.rudys.com/

Houston - I-45N Spring, TX
20806 Interstate 45
Spring, Harris,, TX 77373
Phone: 281-288-0916
Fax: 281-288-8029
Hours:
Sun-Thur 7:00AM-10:00PM
Fri-Sat 7:00AM-10:30PM

-Paul

I went to the original in Leon Springs last summer, and it was pretty good. I'm always a little wary of chains, especially when they start to spread far from home.

High Q
12-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I would recommend Hyde's Cafe on Keith Street in Spring.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I would give New Zion a chance if I were that close.

RangerJ
12-07-2011, 06:43 AM
There is a County Line on Lake Conroe. I've eaten at the one in Austin a few times and I've found their 'Cue to be consistently good. It is, as you mentioned a chain, though one local to Texas and the owners here have two locations.

I've heard Vernon's is decent but can't claim to have tired their food. Pretty sure there is a Pappas BBQ on 45 near the Woodlands. While also a chain, they do use an Oyler pit and I've found their product to be consistent.

Since moving back to Houston, I've found the general state of Que in the MSA to be mediocre at best which is why I'm currently debating on a trailer or a fixed location to get in the mix!

When is your visit? If I've got the pit fired up and you want to drive to Sugar Land, I'll gladly share some beef with ya'!

Chenernator
12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
RangerJ, that's a heck of an offer. We'll be there Christmas through New Year's. Not sure if I'll be able to make the trip, but I'll keep it in mind, for sure.

Until this past summer when I went to Lockhart, I was ready to dismiss all Texas BBQ. I'd say go for it with a trailer or a food truck. See how that goes and then think about a bricks and mortar location.

County Line is closest to my parents, so I might give that a shot.