PDA

View Full Version : WORLD'S Largest Pulled Pork Sandwich

Smoke'n Ice
10-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I am currently involved, in my capacity as the Texas rep of the "Garland Jack's Secret Six" BBQ sauce, in the "World's Largest Pulled Pork Sandwich".

This event will take place in Garland, TX (where else for the LARGEST but little ole TEXAS) on Nov. 19th. There is speculation that it will take at least 1,000 (one thousand) pounds of pulled pork to set the Guiness record. That means that at least 2,000 (two thousand) pounds of pork butt will have to be cooked and pulled. I would venture to say that it is an understatment that some help would be necessary. I can supply the raw pork, wood, pellets, rub, beer, etc. if you would like to be a part of HISTORY. I do believe that we are in need of eaters as well. A few cheerleaders, hanger-ons and nere-do-well would be appreciated.

Please pm me if you want to be a part of this event and we can negotiate from there. We may have a bakery to do the bun, am picking up a "small" (3 foot) example next Tuesday.

Guiness folk, local and national media are involved.

Rookie'48
10-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Wow, two weeks after the Midwest Bash!

If only I could afford to go :rolleyes:....

bover
10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Wait...Texans cooking pork shoulder? :crazy:

southernstyle
10-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Wait...Texans cooking pork shoulder? :crazy:

funny :doh:. butt seriously thats a heck a feat. wow to bad i live so far away. good luck.

Smokesman
10-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Good luck with it Mac. And don't get a tummy ache eating all that pulled pork! Post pics!!!

chromesporty
10-28-2011, 03:13 PM
PM Sent

TooSaucedToPork
10-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I am currently involved, in my capacity as the Texas rep of the "Garland Jack's Secret Six" BBQ sauce, in the "World's Largest Pulled Pork Sandwich".

This event will take place in Garland, TX (where else for the LARGEST but little ole TEXAS) on Nov. 19th. There is speculation that it will take at least 1,000 (one thousand) pounds of pulled pork to set the Guiness record. That means that at least 2,000 (two thousand) pounds of pork butt will have to be cooked and pulled. I would venture to say that it is an understatment that some help would be necessary. I can supply the raw pork, wood, pellets, rub, beer, etc. if you would like to be a part of HISTORY. I do believe that we are in need of eaters as well. A few cheerleaders, hanger-ons and nere-do-well would be appreciated.

Please pm me if you want to be a part of this event and we can negotiate from there. We may have a bakery to do the bun, am picking up a "small" (3 foot) example next Tuesday.

Guiness folk, local and national media are involved.

I thought this sounded familiar, some buddies and I were talking about this kinda thing a few weeks ago, we came across this on ireport from 2010:

New Bern, North Carolina residents attempted to top the record for "World's Largest Open Sandwich on a Barbecue Bun" with a pulled pork extravaganza measuring 93.5 feet by 8.75 inches, weighing 1,337 pounds - enough to reportedly feed 2000 people.
And yes, it was served with slaw. They're not savages, people!

Good luck ya'll, wish I could be there. Looks like an all out war between the BBQ Meccas :-)

SmokeInDaEye
11-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Is this still happening? Would love to get involved.

Smoke'n Ice
11-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Tested the buns and it takes about 5 pounds of meat to fill a hogie style roll 3 feet by 5 inches. this equates to about 250 of the rolls, 1000 pounds of cooked and pulled pork (gotta start with 2000 because of yield), a bunch of sauce (25 gallons), rub (50 pounds) and 180 square feet of space for the sam'ich. Gotta do it all in a servsafe manner and there in lies the rub. Need a big !ss cooker or a whole lot of small ones. Aint logistics wonderful?

caseydog
11-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Have you figured out the cooker situation?

I can do a couple of butts on my WSM. I don't have anything scheduled for that day. That leaves you about 1,980 pounds short. What are the plans? You're running out of time.

CD

bbqchicken
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
good luck :thumb:

Dallas Dan
11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Very cool! I can help with smoking the pork. Just let me know.

Smoke'n Ice
11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
We are in need of cookers and smokers to accomplish this task. If you can assist in this, please contact Jamie Staub, the project coordinator, via email (jamie at mmacreative dot com) to negeoiated your involvment. The larger the smoker the better, and if you can cook all 2,000 pounds at once, then we want you. We are going for the record and any and all who are involved will be listed.

Kevin_Texas
11-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Try going out to Texas Pitmaster Facebook page and post your request. It's a open FB page and mainly Texas cookers. I bet you will get a lot more help.

Smoke'n Ice
11-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Tried the texas pitmaster on facebook and it does not come up. Help!!

Kevin_Texas
11-08-2011, 05:10 PM
At the top of FB in the search bar just start typing Texas Pitmasters and it should show show up. There currenlty are 349 members... Darwin who is a member here on BBQ Brethren is the admin for Texas Pitmaster FB

Smoke'n Ice
11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
type in Texas Pitm and it shows no results

Dallas Dan
11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
type in Texas Pitm and it shows no results

Me too :confused:

bbqbrad
11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Good luck! Sounds like fun!

Kevin_Texas
11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Hey guys I sent a message to Darwin Hoel to get some help on getting you guys on the Texas Pitmaster FB page. I will see if you reponds quickly if not I can give him a call.

Not sure why you guys cannot find it.

Smoke'n Ice
11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
JR Smokers (manufacturing) has graciously agreed to allow us to use their test kitchen in Mesquite Texas to cook the pork. They are the proud manufactures of the commercial smokers The Oyler Pit, The Little Red Smokehouse, Smokemaster Convection Oven.

Takes a big load off of my backside. Still need people to help with the cooking (adult beverage of YOUR choice) will be proviced and the pulling. This is a go and a real pain in the ???. Also, someone has to eat this sucker. ANY TAKERS???

iampaulb
11-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Let me check my sched & with the boss... This sounds fun...

I don't have a commercial smoker or anything, just a lil electric smoker.

-Paul

caseydog
11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
So, what's the plan? I offered my WSM, the pork, and my time but I guess my cooker was too small. Now that they have a place in Mesquite to cook it all, what are we looking at?

How many people can fit in this test kitchen? Where is the meat being pulled. Where is the sandwich being built now that the cook has been moved to Mesquite?

Details, please.

CD

Dallas Dan
11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I spoke with the project coordinator today and need some help from my Brethrens. She asked me how many pounds of pork I can cook :confused:

I've smoked many briskets over the years in my offset but never pork. How many pounds of pork do you think I can smoke at one time? Here's a photo of it:

http://www.pbase.com/dallasdan/image/133638623.jpg

SirPorkaLot
11-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I spoke with the project coordinator today and need some help from my Brethrens. She asked me how many pounds of pork I can cook :confused:

I've smoked many briskets over the years in my offset but never pork. How many pounds of pork do you think I can smoke at one time? Here's a photo of it:

http://www.pbase.com/dallasdan/image/133638623.jpg

8 butts. If you add a half rack at the top rear, 3 more

SirPorkaLot
11-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I should add that even with a baffle, you need to rotate regular on the machine. Without a baffle I wouldn't go more than 4

caseydog
11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Dan, I got the same question from the coordinator, and when I answered, I got no response. It seems they found someone to do the cooking, so no need to respond.

I'd love to help, but unless someone tells me what they would like me to do -- or where to do it, and when to do it -- there isn't much I can do.

Things like this are VERY hard to organize, and it kind of looks like they are finding this out the hard way. This thing is nine days away. I've organized some big events, and I'm worried for them.

I'll do what I can, but I don't know what that is.

CD

Dallas Dan
11-09-2011, 08:44 PM
JR Smokers (manufacturing) has graciously agreed to allow us to use their test kitchen in Mesquite Texas to cook the pork. They are the proud manufactures of the commercial smokers The Oyler Pit, The Little Red Smokehouse, Smokemaster Convection Oven.

Takes a big load off of my backside. Still need people to help with the cooking (adult beverage of YOUR choice) will be proviced and the pulling. This is a go and a real pain in the ???. Also, someone has to eat this sucker. ANY TAKERS???

Mack, please clarify. Is the whole 2,000 lbs going to be cooked with JR Smokers equipment or are other smokers needed?

Smoke'n Ice
11-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Sorry about the confusion. Did not find out until late yesterday that we would be able to use the kitchen at JR Manufacturing. What this means is:

All of the pork will be cooked at JR Manufacturing in either one or two batches. Will be meeting with them on Monday to see facility and make plans.

The cooking will occur on Friday afternoon for batch one and with batch two occuring afterwards and all cooking finished by 10 am Saturday.

This option satisfies HD requirement that cooking be inside four walls.

The first batch will be pulled and placed in sealed bags and hot stored after batch two is started.

Batch two will be pulled and placed in sealed bags and both batches will be transported to the walmart in Garland at 30 and Broadway for assembly of the sandwich sometime between noon and 4 pm. those specifics I don't have yet.

If the Oyler can handle the full 2,000 pounds at once, then there will not be a need for a first batch. All of the prepping and cooking will be done late Friday with the pulling Saturday morning.

Anyone have any experiece with the JR Smoker Oyler cooking large batches? Especially length of time to cook this much butt to pulling stage.

We will be needing help both Friday and Saturday prepping, pulling and eating

By the way, if you think this is complicated,, try transporting and handling the bun. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

"May you live in interesting times"
"May you come to the attention of those in authority"
"May you find what you are looking for"

Mack

swamprb
11-10-2011, 07:45 AM
What is the population of Garland, Texas?

6?

Smoke'n Ice
11-10-2011, 10:40 PM
What is the population of Garland, Texas?

6?

Garland has a quarter of a million people making it the 12th largest in Texas and 67th in the US. This is only the legal ones. If we were to consider illegal, then those numbers would probably change significantly. :boxing:

Smoke'n Ice
11-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, the deed is started. We have over 2,000 pounds of pork cooking on JR Smokers in Mesquite, TX and it was a no brainer. A totally wood fired pit that only needed 4 split logs for the overning after a bed of coals was created.We'll be back there at 5am to check and unload done ones and continue cooking others.

We are cooking on two of their units and have about a 1,000 pounds on each.

Will start the "World's largert Pulled Pork Sandwich" build at 11 am tomorrow and start the service at 1:30. Come early, come hungry, come often and bring your cooler.

After this, I may not want to cook another pork butt this year.

For the numbers geeks:
slightly over 2,000 pounds of pork
27 cases of pork
216 pork butts
50 pounds of rub
2.5 hours of prep and load on cookers (4 people)

More will be added tomorrow as we pull and build.

Dallas Dan
11-18-2011, 09:01 PM
WOW!!! What an operation. I just got a whiff of the smell when I went outside tonight. :wink:

SmokeInDaEye
11-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Awesome! We want to do a thing on Grilling.com once ya'll PULL it off tomorrow. Hopefully someone will have some pics and maybe video?

Gore
11-18-2011, 10:45 PM
I've been really curious about this bun from when I first read the title ....

Smoke'n Ice
11-20-2011, 12:42 PM
The deed was done. 1,200 pounds of cooked pork and what we believe to be a new world record for a pulled pork sandwich. Ran out of covered space or we could have gone to 1,400 pounds. We fed a large section of Garland and also gave a bunch to a homeless shelter who stated they would be able to feed a lot more people because of the blessing. It was fun but I will not ever do it again!! Here are some pictures to include the health department inspectors who monitored most of the event.

SmokeInDaEye
11-21-2011, 11:31 AM
That's a heck of a lot of meat, though the final picture looks like a bunch of sandwiches, not one sandwich, no?

Smoke'n Ice
11-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Had to use a knife to seperate it into smaller (3 pound) take homes, both horizontally and vertically. Could not get a bun that size because of limitations on commercial ovens so we used multiple 3 foot by 5 inch hogie or french type loaves but spread the meat in a continuous mat about 2 to 3 inches thick. You could not pickup one of the loaves without cutting them apart. Does it count? Not sure but the folks at MMA are the ones in contact with Guiness, I just cooked the meat and engineered and directed the assembly.

caseydog
11-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Garland has a quarter of a million people making it the 12th largest in Texas and 67th in the US. This is only the legal ones. If we were to consider illegal, then those numbers would probably change significantly. :boxing:

Garland, Texas is also the inspiration for Arlen, Texas, in the animated TV Show, King of the Hill.

Garland has everything from yuppie cookie cutter subdivisions to redneck trailer parks, to immigrant barrios. I don't go there, unless I have too. :shock::becky:

CD

Smoke'n Ice
11-21-2011, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=Garland has everything from yuppie cookie cutter subdivisions to redneck trailer parks, to immigrant barrios. I don't go there, unless I have too. :shock::becky:

CD[/QUOTE]
We fed some of the "immigrant barrios" and a good portion of the "African-American" extended family barrios. Man, what a trip!! There were some thought by several on my crew to deck a woman against all their Texas upbringing.

Dallas Dan
11-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad it was a success. We're you able to make it into Guiness?

Smoke'n Ice
11-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Won't know for now as it is a post event submission.

Iamarealbigdog
11-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Won't know for now as it is a post event submission.

Will bwe watching,
:thumb:

Good luck

bbqbrad
11-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Good luck! Looks awesome!