PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Fredericksburg BBQ Jamboree - Fredericksburg, VA (50 miles south of DC on I-95) - May 5, 2012

Boshizzle
10-25-2011, 06:47 PM
There is finally going to be a KCBS sanctioned comp in my home town in 2012. The tentative date for it is May 5, 2012.

Fredericksburg, VA BBQ Jamboree KCBS Sanctioned BBQ Competition.

http://www.bbqjamboree.com

Slamdunkpro
10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Every team has to have a $40 Health Department one day vend permit and provide screened in tents, hard floor coverings, 3 compartment sink, separate hand washing station and undergo food temp inspection????? Shades of Mt. Airy - I'll Pass

Bentley
10-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Every team has to have a $40 Health Department one day vend permit and provide screened in tents, hard floor coverings, 3 compartment sink, separate hand washing station and undergo food temp inspection????? Shades of Mt. Airy - I'll Pass

Might be back in that area at that time and if I can hit some Pelletheads up for equipment may wanna compete.

Is the above requirement for teams that wanna vend or do all competing teams have to fill out and pay fee? How much is entry fee, and how much cash prize money will there be?

Slamdunkpro
10-25-2011, 10:41 PM
There is no entry fee posted on the site yet, but it does state that all teams have to do the full HD thing

Tiki Wolf
10-26-2011, 06:23 AM
The Annapolis, MD contest is that same weekend, is an hour from my house and doesn't have the Health Department restrictions.....I know where I'm headed.

Big Ugly's BBQ
10-26-2011, 06:51 AM
I know where I'm headed.

Same here...:heh::heh:

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 07:15 AM

Nope, not all.

The event is held on the local fair grounds with water, electricity, and facilities onsite.

The event started last year but wasn't KCBS sanctioned. For the teams that wanted to vend all they needed as far as a washing station is concerned was 3 tupperware bins with water and one with water and bleach. There was no need for a hard floor, etc. They did have to be inspected for temp control but if you are cooking your food safely why is that an issue?

The competition seems to be similar to how Woodstock handled some things this year.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 07:16 AM
There is no entry fee posted on the site yet, but it does state that all teams have to do the full HD thing

Last year the entry fee was $295.00 and it included the HD fee, and the water and electricity hookup fee. We don't expect the fee to go up this year.

SlicksBBQ
10-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Will you let me know when the judges form is available?
Thanks,
Scott

Slamdunkpro
10-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Nope, not all.
If this is the case then they really need to change the website, because as of right now it reads that all the competitors have to be set up like vendors.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 09:04 AM
If this is the case then they really need to change the website, because as of right now it reads that all the competitors have to be set up like vendors.

I have talked to the organizer and recommended that the site be updated. There are some discussions going on that should be concluded next week and the web site will be updated based on the results.

Basically, the HD in this town has no experience with BBQ comps and they just need a little education on the subject. They are used to chili cook-offs and that's their frame of reference. So, we are working to inform them of the differences and the level of competence that many KCBS competitors have.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Will you let me know when the judges form is available?
Thanks,
Scott

Scott, will do.

Slamdunkpro
10-26-2011, 09:06 AM
The Annapolis, MD contest is that same weekend, is an hour from my house and doesn't have the Health Department restrictions.....I know where I'm headed.
Looks like Naptown is moving to Crownsville this year

Tiki Wolf
10-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Looks like Naptown is moving to Crownsville this year
Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds. For the sake of the RV teams, I hope they have level sites.......

ALX
10-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds. For the sake of the RV teams, I hope they have level sites.......

Crownsville(fairgrounds) has lots of room and is only 10 minutes from naval academy....Would be nice not to be crammed in like last year(naval academy)....

If all the dates stay the same then with Green Lane,pennsylvania that makes 3 comps that weekend in region ......

virginia lawyer
10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Hope one of them gets moved - would like to compete both in Naptown and Fredericksburg.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 12:34 PM
When would be a better early date?

Black Cat BBQ
10-26-2011, 01:16 PM
When would be a better early date?

March! :-D :shock:

Apr 20th is salisbury and Apr 27th is Edenton. We've heard Gavinells (MD) will be a KCBS this year and its early Aprilish, the w/e before Salisbury? I think....

virginia lawyer
10-26-2011, 01:36 PM
March would work great for us. Not much else in this area that early in the year.

Big Ugly's BBQ
10-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Apr 20th is salisbury and Apr 27th is Edenton. We've heard Gavinells (MD) will be a KCBS this year and its early Aprilish, the w/e before Salisbury? I think....

Pretty sure Jen wants their comp to go off before Mothers Day, I think last year it was the same weekend as Naptown. I would like to see earlier (early Mar) comps, and not have to travel to FL, AL, or out west to do some.

Slamdunkpro
10-26-2011, 02:53 PM

Galvinell's will not be a KCBS sanctioned event - it will be a MABA event but it will be a State Championship and thus a Jack qualifier. We're leaning toward the 13th and 14th of April.

Tarheel
10-26-2011, 03:00 PM
March is a tough time of year up north, I do believe that there was snow up there this year. It is getting hard to do but if you can put a week between you and another contest. You also need to look at your entry fee. $295 is a little high unless you are giving away 15k plus. Good luck with it.

Big Ugly's BBQ
10-26-2011, 03:35 PM
13-14 Apr is Youth Turkey Day in MD, please, PLEASE, find another weekend.:pray:

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 04:19 PM
You also need to look at your entry fee. $295 is a little high unless you are giving away 15k plus. Good luck with it.

I think $295.00 isn't bad for water/elec. and the HD permit. But, the entry fee will be lower for those who don't want or need the direct water/elec hookups.

Bentley
10-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Every team has to have a $40 Health Department one day vend permit...

Nope, not all.

I am still not following. If a team is there just to compete, no vending, do they need to fill out and pay the $40 fee?

Also, do you know how much less the entry fee might be for a team that does not need water or electricty?

Any idea what prize money will be? What was it last year?

Some unsolicited input...for a team like us $295 is a lot of entry fee...

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I am still not following. If a team is there just to compete, no vending, do they need to fill out and pay the $40 fee?

Also, do you know how much less the entry fee might be for a team that does not need water or electricty?

Any idea what prize money will be? What was it last year?

Some unsolicited input...for a team like us $295 is a lot of entry fee...

As stated in an earlier post, It's being worked out now. However, I know that a lot of comps in our area charge $250.00 to $275.00 and then charge extra for electrical hookups and even tables and chairs. So personally, I don't see the issue on the entry fee for this contest. I'm sure the entry fee for those who don't want elec/water hookups will be fair.

Details are still being worked out so, please be patient. There is a lot of effort, coordination and $upport behind this comp.

Slamdunkpro
10-26-2011, 08:54 PM
According to the website - yes.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
According to the website - yes.

It's a local HD requirement and so far it hasn't been waived. However, and in all fairness, as I have mentioned, that point is still being negotiated. So, that MAY NOT be the case. Regardless of why anyone (including the MABA president) would invoke the ol' "Mt Airy" thing and ignore clear posts about this issue, and want to tarnish this comp before it is even started, I can only guess.

And, the prize money right now will be in the $5000.00 range at minimum.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
10-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Deleted

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Lol, nope, Dan, I'm not and organizer. But, I am volunteering to help get this thing off on a good footing. In spite of the fact that my area has a huge population, for some reason it's hard to get something like this started in this town. I just want to see it succeed. I am lobbying big time for everything that I know that teams want.

My knowledge of the organizers and the opportunity we have here indicates that this can be a great competition for KCBS and very good for our town. We just have to be innovative and work out the fine details. I am on the side of the BBQ teams and I am taking everything I hear and learn back to the organizers.

So, I guess I am a little protective but it's because this is a real dream come true to have an opportunity to start a great annual BBQ comp here in Fredericksburg.

BTW - I used some 3Eyz rub I picked up at Woodstock on some salmon tonight and it was superb!

HBMTN
10-26-2011, 09:28 PM
I was thinking about giving up Salisbury next year and going south to Lex NC, I may do this one instead. My bro in law lives in Fredericksburg, not too far of a trip for me.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Heck yeah, Reuben! We need some good Q in this town.

Slamdunkpro
10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
It's a local HD requirement and so far it hasn't been waived. However, and in all fairness, as I have mentioned, that point is still being negotiated. So, that MAY NOT be the case. Regardless of why anyone (including the MABA president) would invoke the ol' "Mt Airy" thing and ignore clear posts about this issue, and want to tarnish this comp before it is even started, I can only guess.

And, the prize money right now will be in the $5000.00 range at minimum.

Let's back the truck up a second - I'm just going by what's posted on the event's website, I don't know what's being negotiated or what may or may not happen, only what the event website states as absolutes. If this isn't the case, then the organizer should qualify the website. As far as "tarnishing" the event, um no, I just expressed an opinion based on the reading of the HD form on the website and observed experience at Mt. Airy that I'd pass if all that was in place.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Let's back the truck up a second - I'm just going by what's posted on the event's website, I don't know what's being negotiated or what may or may not happen, only what the event website states as absolutes. If this isn't the case, then the organizer should qualify the website. As far as "tarnishing" the event, um no, I just expressed an opinion based on the reading of the HD form on the website and observed experience at Mt. Airy that I'd pass if all that was in place.

But, you do know what's going on because I posted about what's going on. Yes, and, Mr. President, you have ignored everything I have posted about it. If you want MABA involved and, if that will help, I will be glad to lobby for MABA involvment. VA is in the MABA realm, is it not? Otherwise, what's the problem with my posts about what's going on behind the scenes and the clarification?

Slamdunkpro
10-26-2011, 09:56 PM
But, you do know what's going on because I posted about what's going on. Yes, and, Mr. President, you have ignored everything I have posted about it. If you want MABA involved and, if that will help, I will be glad to lobby for MABA involvment. VA is in the MABA realm, is it not? Otherwise, what's the problem with my posts about what's going on behind the scenes and the clarification?

Let me be clear about one thing - The Mid Atlantic BBQ Association has not been approached about being involved in this event in any way. Despite you implications and innuendos I was speaking as myself, not as a representative of the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association.

Good luck with your event.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Let me be clear about one thing - The Mid Atlantic BBQ Association has not been approached about being involved in this event in any way. Despite you implications and innuendos I was speaking as myself, not as a representative of the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association.

Good luck with your event.

That's clear as are my posts that you ignore.

Now, with that out of the way, how can we include MABA in the event?

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 10:50 PM
That's clear as are my posts that you ignore.

Now, with that out of the way, how can we include MABA in the event?

Seriously, as a MABA member I'd love to see MABA participate in an event that is within the range that I can attend.

The Virginian
10-27-2011, 05:48 AM
I love it that we are getting more comps close to the DC area.

The cost is an issue for me. I attended 9 contests last year and the only one that cost me 295 or more was the Royal. I got water and electric at all the comps. It does not matter to me that 45 of it is for the health department. If they forego the permit, that would bring you all into line with other area competitions.

I hope that you will communicate with the health department about the possible effect of their posted requirements on the viability of the contest. If the hard floor requirement stays, I doubt that enough teams will sign up to make it worth the effort. I cannot comply with that requirement.

Brett