PDA

View Full Version : Team Names

K-Train
10-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey, just wondering how some of you came up with your team names? My team is named after a dalmation I had named Max (Maxine). Max was pretty large, hence our team name, Fat Maxine's. Just though it'd be interesting to get the stories behind some of the names.:-D

MilitantSquatter
10-22-2011, 04:45 PM
This one is a few years old but has replies

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66958&highlight=team+names

Sawdustguy
10-22-2011, 05:08 PM
The truth is that both my brother and I are fat Polocks.

G$
10-22-2011, 11:11 PM
The truth is that both my brother and I are fat Polocks.

And don't let anyone ever tell you that it is not OK to be two fat Polocks.

:wink:

jcpetro97
10-23-2011, 09:16 AM
My brother in law helped me come up with mine. We came up with Off Beat, On Cue which combined my two passions, bbq, and music.

rookiedad
10-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Our team name is called "Better Days Barbeque", because even though all the days we are lucky enough to have are great, when we are all together, cooking, hanging out and having fun, they seem a little bit better!

Porky Joes
10-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I made sloppy joes with pork once by mistake and then "Porky Joes" was born.

Smokenstein & monster crew
10-23-2011, 10:34 AM
It came from a custom built two 55 gallon drum smoker i had built.
Looked like it had been put together with spare parts, has thermometer eyes, exhaust that reminded me of ears....so i was looking at it when it was done. I said "that thing is like Frankenstein"..... So the Smokenstien name was born, first team name was
Smokenstien and his smokin bride, but a little long in & my wife did not feel like getting all dolled up for bbq contests :becky:

So Smokenstien was born & the family members became the monster crew, so there it is.......my team name story.

mwert
10-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I have wicked food intolerances so have to make most everything i eat from scratch. Since there are essentially no modified ingredients in our que and we wanted to keep it simple, we call ourselves PURE.

wet hog
10-23-2011, 03:36 PM
We all like to ride jet skis and play at the lake, and love to cook, so wet hog smokers

The Virginian
10-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Free Range BBQ got its name because we like to use meat that is raised and slaughtered properly, with some attention to the well-being of the animal. We love meat and we love animals, thought the name said something important about how we see bbq. Meat that has been raised properly also tends to be handled by small family farms and the quality tends to be superior, all of which we like.

Brett

SouthernMagicBBQ
10-24-2011, 12:23 AM
We are in the "Heart of Dixie" and believe the true magic to great 'que is the quality of meat along with low and slow cooking. This lets the meat speak for itself without the use of alot of overpowering spices, hence the name Southern Magic Bar-B-Q was born.

hogzgonewild
10-24-2011, 06:58 AM
We all like to ride jet skis and play at the lake, and love to cook, so wet hog smokers

Just taking a guess.... Lake Wedowee?

Patrickkva
10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Well . . . . . sometimes names are self explanatory:-D

TooSaucedToPork
10-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Well . . . . . sometimes names are self explanatory:-D

Yup, like ours. Too Sauced To Pork...No its not want you think, at least it din't start out that way...Our first two contests we won 1st palce trophies for Bloody Marys, not food. My wife told us we were "Too Sauced To Pork"...we then celebrated the renaming of the team, and later that night I was as the name implies...:doh:

Neil

Kit R
10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Our team name came to me in a moment of inspiration before we ever even started competing. I had just met Jack Windsor of Black Cat BBQ in Front Royal VA and he said "so you're going to compete, huh? What's your team name?" When I said I didn't have one yet, he said "you can have a name before you start competing!" As he was talking, I looked out over his shoulder and saw a Mexican restaurant, and it hit me. Since I'm from Texas, I should name our team something that evoked my home state. Tex-Mex food always reminds me of home, and then the ZZ Top song "Tube Snake Boogie" popped into my mind. I knew my wife would never give approval to naming our team "Tube Snake Boogie Que" so I started thinking of other ZZ Top songs. That's when "DegŁello" came to mind. It's a ZZ Top album, and it was also the bugle call the Mexican Army used to signify that no quarter would be given. And it sounded kind of exotic and cool, so it was decided right there and then.

Boy has that name worked out great! I can't count how many times I've heard an announcer say "now how do I pronouce this......" and realize they're trying to figure out how to pronounce our team name. Of course, the "hip" announcers will usually say something like "well, well. A ZZ Top fan!" or the time we won our first GC the rep said "Ladies and gentlemen....give it up for.....DegŁello BBQ!!" like they were introducing ZZ Top. The best time I heard an announcer struggle with our team name, though? About 6:00 PM this past Saturday in Lynchburg when we got our first call at the Jack. We were so far back in the crowd I wasn't sure if I'd heard it right. But I said to my wife "I think they're calling our team!" That was an experience I will never forget.

SDAR
10-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Filled up an EZ-Up that we had put sides on for a prep area with smoke. The wind was blowing the smoke in there. I had to come out with my cowboy hat on...a buddy of mine yelled Stop Drop and Roll! The name stuck.

Stop Drop and Roll BBQ. :becky:

CBQ
10-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Our name doesn't mean anything. It was initials from an apron. Be careful what you write down at your first contest.

dhuffjr
10-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Our first contest we were Huff BBQ or something like that. I was scramblin around like a mad man. My wife came up with the name Scramblin Eggs BBQ because we use Big Green Eggs. I still scramble I'm just slightly calmer about it.......not.

butt head
10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
BUTTHEADBBQ-----NUFF SAID :becky:

bover
10-26-2011, 03:46 PM
My buddy and I were both born and raised in Montana so we dubbed ourselves Big Sky BBQ. Not exactly creative, but it fits.

mclancey
10-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Before we were doing BBQ, we were playing music and I'm a fan of Motorhead. i had an idea for artwork, a friend drew it up in a few minutes and we went with it. = Smokerhead.

Fat Freddy
10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I am 6ft 2 and 360 lbs. Oversize Load BBQ seemed a natural fit.:rolleyes:

Smokin Mike
10-27-2011, 05:37 PM
My son (at the time almost 5, now he is 8 ) came up with our bbq team name, bbq boys, he loved watching fires, cooking, and still does 8). my wife and I put the smokin' part of,,,

Smokin' BBQ Boys

EDIT: I noticed my avatar is missing, I don't know where it went, but it use to have my team on it, with 2 boy pigs and a girl pig.