PDA

View Full Version : cooking for differnt regions

K-Train
10-20-2011, 11:30 AM
I cooked in Southern MD about 2 months ago and did pretty well. Just cooked last weekend in PA with basically the same quality turn in's and pretty much got crushed.:doh:Do you guys change your spices/sauce/etc depending on where you're cooking?

Sawdustguy
10-20-2011, 12:12 PM
I cooked in Southern MD about 2 months ago and did pretty well. Just cooked last weekend in PA with basically the same quality turn in's and pretty much got crushed.:doh:Do you guys change your spices/sauce/etc depending on where you're cooking?

I would be surprised if there was much of a difference between Maryland and Pennsylvania.

bbq.tom
10-20-2011, 12:32 PM
I judge all over the southeast (Virginia to Georgia) and haven't found a difference in those areas. Not saying that there is no regional differences, but when the same teams are cooking all over the area there should not be much difference noticed.

roksmith
10-20-2011, 01:07 PM
I was told by one cook who is headed to the Jack this year that he always adjusts his recipes depending on where he is competing and from another cook who is also competing at the Jack this year that he used to adjust his recipes, but he has since quit and since he has started using the exact same recipes his overall results have improved.
Our personal results seem to indicate that the further west we go, the better our results, the further east..the worse. Our results may be a bit off since we only compete between about Kentucky to Maryland, but the results do seem consistent.

deguerre
10-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I would be surprised if there was much of a difference between Maryland and Pennsylvania.

I think they're might be a difference between Pennsylvania and Virginia though, and Southern MD is very close to VA regionally...

roksmith
10-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Yea.. I think where the judging pool is coming from is much more important than where the contest is being held.

Scottie
10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
I've cooked in 32 different states. Never change my recipe. Good bbq is good bbq.

AZScott
10-20-2011, 03:09 PM
How many contests have you done? Perhaps your turn in's weren't the same as you turned in in MD. Small minute changes can make a big difference.

Hub
10-20-2011, 03:38 PM
There are significant variances in barbeque styles from one part of the country to another (e.g. "Texas" beef vs. "Carolina pork and vinegar sauce". However, these don't come into play significantly in KCBS competitions. Some teams may tweak a little, but by and large the teams that compete are much more likely to aim for good overall barbeque standards and KCBS "norms" than they are regional taste. In my opinion, the geography you cite is insignificant. Scoring variations can be induced by a lot more than regionalism.

Sawdustguy
10-20-2011, 07:03 PM
I think they're might be a difference between Pennsylvania and Virginia though, and Southern MD is very close to VA regionally...

See Scottie's answer above....