PDA

View Full Version : WSM comp cooks

Sledneck
10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
For those of you that cook exclusively on wsm's in competition what is your preferred combination ? (3) 18's. (2). 22's. (2) 22 and (1) 18. Etc

Also what do you use for what, one for briskets one for butts etc

big brother smoke
10-18-2011, 04:52 PM
2-22s and 1-18

Pork butts get the 18; ribs get a 22, brisky gets the other 22; the chicken gets the 22 once the brisky is done. This is my first year cooking on WSMs as you know.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
10-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I cook on 2 - 22 WSMs and a 22 performer. One 22 wsm is for brisket only, the other is for ribs and pork butts. The performer is for chicken although i sometimes put chicken on one of the 22 WSMs. I mainly separate the two 22's because i put different smoking woods for brisket and for pork so i like seasoning the pits individually with those woods. Whether it really makes send or not, I'm not sure but it makes me feel better...ha ha

Captain P.J.
10-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I did one KCBS comp on a single 22.5" wsm. Took 1st in ribs, 5th in chicken 19th in pork out of 41 and finished 11th overall.

Sledneck
10-18-2011, 05:02 PM
This is my first year cooking on WSMs as you know.
I drecall the day you made that decision. Twas about 6:30 on turn in day and muzzlolos damn fec crapped out over night and my briskies were under 100. Then like a superhero I pulled that little black cooker out of my van, threw those briskets on and low and behold a 3rd place brisket:becky:

Stoke&Smoke
10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
We use a 22.5 WSM for brisket and chicken, and an 18 for butts and ribs. I usually bring along an 18.5 kettle for cooking dinner, and occaision use getting color on ribs, etc.

SmokeInDaEye
10-18-2011, 05:07 PM
3 WSMs -- one for brisket, one for ribs, one for pork shoulder. And a 50s era Weber kettle for chicken.

nthole
10-18-2011, 05:28 PM
We use 3 18s. 1 for butts and 1 for briskets lit on Friday. Fire up the 3rd for ribs on Saturday, move them to the emptied pork pit when they are wrapped in foil, and then that pit hosts chicken. We move them because we run that 1 at 275 instead of 225 and then jump it to 300 for the chicken.

White Dog BBQ
10-18-2011, 05:29 PM
2 18s and a 22.5 -- brisket and pork each get their own 18, ribs are on the 22.5 and chicken goes on one of the 18s after brisket or pork is done.

I really want to get a 4th so we can cook chicken on its own cooker rather than risk having to move stuff around.

NS Mike D
10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
3 WSMs -- one for brisket, one for ribs, one for pork shoulder. And a 50s era Weber kettle for chicken.

I was wondering about that.

While I'm not a kcbs competitor yet, IMO chicken cooks better on my kettle than on the WSM, and I haven't found a compelling reason that it would do better on low and slow than it would on the "roasting" temp of a kettle.

I know this is a WSM thread, but I think it's close enough on topic to inquire about using the kettle for chicken in comps.

ibrisky
10-18-2011, 06:43 PM
I use two 22's. One for Butt and one for Brisky. After foiling the Chinese fire drill starts with Chicken and Ribs.

We've been happy with the results of our first two cooks (15th and 16th overall with a few calls). It does gets interesting when both WSM's are full.

fnbish
10-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I use two 22's. One for Butt and one for Brisky. After foiling the Chinese fire drill starts with Chicken and Ribs.

We've been happy with the results of our first two cooks (15th and 16th overall with a few calls). It does gets interesting when both WSM's are full.

Ha! This is exactly how I thought about it. If the butts and brisket are done by the time the chicken goes on it is definitely a dance.

Sylvie
10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
One 22, two 18s and one 22inch kettle. I cook brisket and the pork butts on the 18s, the ribs on the 22 and chicken on the kettle.

MilitantSquatter
10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
How about a poll Einstein ? :wink:

FamilyManBBQ
10-18-2011, 07:24 PM
2-22s and 1-18

Pork butts get the 18; ribs get a 22, brisky gets the other 22; the chicken gets the 22 once the brisky is done.

Exactly how we do it!! Will add a fourth one day...want, very much, to have one cooker per meat. Maybe another 18??

nthole
10-18-2011, 07:36 PM
I was wondering about that.

While I'm not a kcbs competitor yet, IMO chicken cooks better on my kettle than on the WSM, and I haven't found a compelling reason that it would do better on low and slow than it would on the "roasting" temp of a kettle.

I know this is a WSM thread, but I think it's close enough on topic to inquire about using the kettle for chicken in comps.

Mike, try one thing. Remove the diffuser (ie - water pan) and run it to 300 at the grate/lid. It gives you that 'roasting' concept on the WSM. More like cooking it on a hot and fast UDS. Different kind of taste. You might like.

big brother smoke
10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
I drecall the day you made that decision. Twas about 6:30 on turn in day and muzzlolos damn fec crapped out over night and my briskies were under 100. Then like a superhero I pulled that little black cooker out of my van, threw those briskets on and low and behold a 3rd place brisket:becky:

True dat!:laugh:

boogiesnap
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
i run 2 22.5's.

i don't suggest this process, cuz there's a small margin of error and it took me a LONG time to nail down timing, but...

pork and brisket on 1 overnight. pork gets wrapped when brisket goes on.

ribs go on in the fresh 2nd in the morning.

pork and brisket come off #1 in the morning, it gets broken down to a top and bottom, and chicken goes on that.

for what it's worth, i LOVE my WSM's, but hope to get a backwoods in the offseason.

seems alot simpler, while still playing with fire.

chicken will always be cooked in a weber tho.

Alexa RnQ
10-18-2011, 09:24 PM
We most usually have four 18s, for maximum flexibility. We've occasionally run two 18s and a 22. But since we can cram all four plus the rest of the camp into the van...

lcbbq
10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
We just have 1 18 and 1 22. Pork in the 18 and brisket in the 22. We make sure one is done by 7 am so we can start ribs. Not ideal but it works.

fnbish
10-18-2011, 10:18 PM
i run 2 22.5's.

i don't suggest this process, cuz there's a small margin of error and it took me a LONG time to nail down timing, but...

pork and brisket on 1 overnight. pork gets wrapped when brisket goes on.

ribs go on in the fresh 2nd in the morning.

pork and brisket come off #1 in the morning, it gets broken down to a top and bottom, and chicken goes on that.

for what it's worth, i LOVE my WSM's, but hope to get a backwoods in the offseason.

seems alot simpler, while still playing with fire.

chicken will always be cooked in a weber tho.

Gotta chime back in and agree with this one too. Using 2 22 WSM's is totally doable, as we started out this way. We normally plan for the butts/brisket to be done a few hours early so they can be resting. If this part goes to plan then the ribs and chicken are less effort since you aren't watching all 4 meats at once. If everything finishes close together then moving food/doing the rack shuffle can be a little work :-P.

Then I got my TnT and we can easily fit all the meat on there at once and I love the cabinet style where all the shelves just slide out. We still bring one WSM and fire it up in the morning a little hotter than the TnT and just have it running in case the butts/brisket are taking longer and need to be helped along and we normally use it for chicken too since we like to cook that at a higher temp.

rksylves
10-19-2011, 06:23 AM
The 22 gets the brisket and butts, the 18 gets the ribs, and the 22 OTG gets the chicken.

I'm thinking that I'm going to try swapping the ribs and butts. The problem is that if I do that then I will have to run both WSMs overnight whereas I only run the 22 right now.

My biggest problem is space. I would like to do some People's Choice categories but I just don't have the room. I'm just about ready to buy another 22. Then the 18 would be the butt cooker, brisket(s) in a 22, and ribs in the other 22. Chicken will always be on the grill as I cannot get the skin right in the smoker.

Russ

Sawdustguy
10-19-2011, 07:03 AM
This is our first year with WSM's. All WSM's were driven with Guru's. Sure beats dragging the Lang around. We use (3) 22" WSM's. It made the cook a lot easier.

JD McGee
10-19-2011, 07:25 AM
We use 2-18's and 2-22's...one for each meat! Pork butts and chicken on the 2-18's...ribs and briskets on the 2-22's. :thumb:

mobow
10-19-2011, 07:47 AM
I use one 22.5 for everything except chicken. I get two butts and one brisket and 3 rackes of ribs on the WSM for chiicken I use a cheap brinkman smokingrill. keith

Funtimebbq
10-19-2011, 09:40 AM
We use a 22 for brisket (top rack) and butts. We have an 18 for ribs. When the big meats are off, we raise the temp in the 22 and move the already foiled ribs into it and use the 18 for chicken. Both WSMs are Stoker controlled and we use the covers (WSM condoms as a friend called them) from BBQ Guru.

Benny

Sledneck
10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
We use a 22 for brisket (top rack) and butts. We have an 18 for ribs. When the big meats are off, we raise the temp in the 22 and move the already foiled ribs into it and use the 18 for chicken. Both WSMs are Stoker controlled and we use the covers (WSM condoms as a friend called them) from BBQ Guru.

BennyU can fit 2 briskets on top rack?

SCSmoke
10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
We have done two contest on 2 18.5 wsm and a 22 kettle. We have done okay but are going to get a wsm 22 for next season. Main reason is to be able to lay the ribs flat and keep the edges of the brisket from overcooking.

huminie
10-19-2011, 01:31 PM
U can fit 2 briskets on top rack?

You cook 2 briskets?

huminie
10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
A couple teams out here have been quite successful lately using 1 18.5" WSM each at a contest.

The key is knowing your timing and practicing your cook. Almost anything will work if you try hard enough.

lcbateman3
10-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I cook on two 22.5 and a 18.5. Also bring the Kettle. Brisket on one 22.5, Ribs on the other. Pork on the 18.5. Chicken goes on the 22.5 When the brisket comes off. Kettle used for Friday night meals, Warming sauces, burnt ends. Thinking about getting another 22.5 or 18.5. Haven't decided which way to go.

Harbormaster
10-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I use four naturally aspirated 18.5 inch WSMs, one for each meat.

Smokesman
10-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Up until our last competition we have been using 2 22's and 1 18 (for backup). 2 briskies (one up/one down) on the first and 2 butts on the top rack of the second. Large cuts go on around 1 am cooking around 275. Great being able to use different wood combos in each WSM! If pork isn't finished by 7:30 (rare) we fire up the little guy to transfer and finish so 4 racks of ribs can go on the 22 (2 up/2 down). The WSM that cooked the brisket is reset around 9:30 so the chicken can go on by 10. We debuted a Superior SS1 last weekend but still used a WSM 22 for brisket (different smoke wood) and lets face it WSM's cook some fantastic brisket!

Funtimebbq
10-19-2011, 03:36 PM

I only cook one brisket at a comp. I try to get one over 16 lbs. Two buts on the bottom rack. The person I bought my 22 from stated, he cooks two briskets on each rack, he added a third rack and one of those BGE racks with leg extensions above the top rack for a total of 7 briskets in a 22.

Benny

G$
10-19-2011, 03:45 PM

FWIW, I cooked about 60 pounds (pre cook weight) of Brisket (4 packers) on my WSM 22 last weekend. (not for competion).

We generally used 2 WSM22s, and 1 triple stacked Proq.

RangerJ
10-19-2011, 04:53 PM
You cook 2 briskets?

You don't?

And to Slednecks question, yes, you can easily fit two briskets on the top rack of a 22 or a UDS.

My 22 is for pork products, Butts first, ribs later. The backwoods does brisket, then finishes with chicken.

Here in IBCA land, its only for ribs.

Stacks
10-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Great Thread! I love reading how everyone does theirs. Makes me think I may need to adjust. I use 2 22.5 WSM's. 2 briskets and 2 butts in one all night. I fire the 2nd up in the morning for ribs and chicken cuz I cook them a little hotter. So far so good but I'm juggling a lot of tasks first thing in the morning. I'm thinking I need to maybe get a kettle for my chicken so i can cook the ribs slower.

TomB
10-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Stacks, I do what you do - except one brisket. Cook 6-7 lb brisket/butts. Put both on about 1 a.m. and pull about 9 or 10 or when done. Fire up the 2nd WSM early Sunday for the ribs and add chicken later. I cook chciken at the same temp as my ribs - about 250.

Some great ideas here. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Sylvie
10-22-2011, 12:41 PM
A couple teams out here have been quite successful lately using 1 18.5" WSM each at a contest.

The key is knowing your timing and practicing your cook. Almost anything will work if you try hard enough.
I was fortunate to witness two teams each using one 18 in WSM each to cook at a recent Southern California contest. I was camped next to them. As Adam said, the key is timing, knowing your cook times, practice and organization. Also note that they only cook a minimal of each meat so there is no backup.

Chenernator
10-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I use 2 22.5 WSM's. 2 briskets and 2 butts in one all night. I fire the 2nd up in the morning for ribs and chicken cuz I cook them a little hotter. .

Stacks, I do what you do - except one brisket. Cook 6-7 lb brisket/butts. Put both on about 1 a.m. and pull about 9 or 10 or when done. Fire up the 2nd WSM early Sunday for the ribs and add chicken later. I cook chciken at the same temp as my ribs - about 250.

For those doing chicken and ribs on the same WSM, are you putting one meat above the other? Staggering the times so that the ribs are done before putting on chicken? Or something else?

huminie
10-22-2011, 03:25 PM
You don't?

Nope. I cook one brisket, 2 butts, 4 racks of ribs and 16 chicken thighs for a KCBS comp. That is all I need for turn ins. Cooking too much makes for too many decisions to make at box building time.

Funtimebbq
10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I would stagger them so the ribs were foiled before loading the chicken. Even then, I put the chicken on the bottom rack so I could check the foiled ribs easier. The ribs would be out before the chicken was done so I simply removed the top rack at that point.

I should add, I now put ribs and chicken on separate WSMs because I found the temp would get too high after opening the lid frequently to check the ribs after foiling.

Benny

Q-Dat
10-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Nope. I cook one brisket, 2 butts, 4 racks of ribs and 16 chicken thighs for a KCBS comp. That is all I need for turn ins. Cooking too much makes for too many decisions to make at box building time.

I also cook just one. Partly because whole briskets is pricey! Partly because they take up alot of space on the grate. And partly because like you said I don't like having too tough of a decision to make. Not to mention I can spend all of my focus turning that one brisket into the best final product that I can.

I spend alot of time at the stores looking for the one brisket that I think will have the best chance of cooking up the way that I want it too. Not a perfect system but keeps a few dollars in my pocket.

RangerJ
10-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Well, following that logic, it would seem 6 thighs, 1 rack and 1 butt would also eliminate the confusion of box building or decision making.

I do less thighs and ribs but add an additional brisket, causes me no problems in the decision making or box building process.

Q-Dat
10-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Well, following that logic, it would seem 6 thighs, 1 rack and 1 butt would also eliminate the confusion of box building or decision making.

I do less thighs and ribs but add an additional brisket, causes me no problems in the decision making or box building process.

Well for me personally, I need to put alot more focus into a brisket than I do the other three to get them right. I like two butts because it gives me two Money Muscles. Plus I buy them two to a pack and they both fit anyway. I like alot of thighs for the sake of uniformity. And I cook two slabs of ribs just because it doesn't cost that much, and one slab will almost always be noticeably better in my limited experience.

jman1972
10-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I use 2-18's. Brisket and pork on one of them and ribs on the other. I cook my chicken on a 22" kettle. Thats the way that works for me.

huminie
10-22-2011, 07:17 PM

I could do less thighs, but I haven't really dialed in my chicken process as much as I would like. I can usually pick out 4-5 real quick and then I have a big selection to choose from there.

For ribs, I buy them in 2 packs. I have cooked just 3 when one rack was a runt, but 4 seems to work very well for me and one usually stands out as the best.

I cook 2 pork butts because I need that much meat. One butt won't cut it as I use the meat from two to build a very full box. Having the choice between 2 money muscles is a nice luxury.

And for brisket, I am very meticulous about how I slice it and it takes me a while to get through one. I cook very consistently and really just have to decide where the sweet spot is for slices. There has only been one time where a second brisket would have helped me as the one I had just wouldn't get tender, but overall it just isn't worth it for me to cook more than one.

swamprb
10-22-2011, 08:36 PM
I had been cooking on two 18's a 22, and a Cajun Bandit 22" kettle conversion.

Next season it will be two 18" and two 22" WSM's.

Mods include: Cajun Bandit stainless steel replacement doors on all, the HH "door prop mod" on the 18's, smaller diameter charcoal rings for the 22's, remote probe eyelets on all, a Cajun Bandit rotis ring for a Rib-O-Lator (chicken), all nestled in road cases with casters.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/IMG_4358.jpg

Pork and Brisket on the 18's, Chicken and Ribs on the 22's.

PNWBA turn ins are Pork, Brisket, Chicken & Ribs on the hour, and I could get by with less.

TomB
10-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Chern: For those doing chicken and ribs on the same WSM, are you putting one meat above the other? Staggering the times so that the ribs are done before putting on chicken? Or something else?

powerpig
10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I have two 18"s and a 22" on the way. How much charcoal is usually consumed at a competition using this configuration?

Funtimebbq
10-23-2011, 07:56 PM
That is way too little info to provide an answer. Which smoker are you using for the overnight cook? Are you even cooking overnight and at what temp? What charcoal are you using? As I stated, way too many variables for a cut and dry answer.
My suggestion is to practice and find out how everything works for your methods.

Benny

White Dog BBQ
10-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Mods include: Cajun Bandit stainless steel replacement doors on all, the HH "door prop mod" on the 18's, smaller diameter charcoal rings for the 22's, remote probe eyelets on all, a Cajun Bandit rotis ring for a Rib-O-Lator (chicken), all nestled in road cases with casters.

Out of curiosity, what door prop mod are you doing? I'm assuming it is not one where you drilled holes in the door and installed screws since you are using the SS doors.

Also, any chance we could see pictures of your road cases?

Erik

Sledneck
10-25-2011, 04:25 PM
some valid points on all the combinations used. I think I'm leaning towards (2) 22"s

Just curious what the going number for used 18" wsm's, will be selling the 3 I have as well as a 2fan stoker draft system

Smokin' Aces
10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
some valid points on all the combinations used. I think I'm leaning towards (2) 22"s

Just curious what the going number for used 18" wsm's, will be selling the 3 I have as well as a 2fan stoker draft system

i will take the whole lot off your hands for 1300 pennies, no problem

swamprb
10-25-2011, 05:15 PM

I just sold two 18" WSM's and an SJP for $280.

Frank Sacco
10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
some valid points on all the combinations used. I think I'm leaning towards (2) 22"s You announced retirement three years ago!?!? Are you plotting a triumphant return of R2BQ featuring "boy wonder" (Vinnie). "Wonder" when he's coming out of retirement :heh:

Sledneck
10-25-2011, 08:26 PM
You announced retirement three years ago!?!? Are you plotting a triumphant return of R2BQ featuring "boy wonder" (Vinnie). "Wonder" when he's coming out of retirement :heh:

You hit it on the head, vinny(ie) is coming out of retirement.

boogiesnap
10-25-2011, 08:49 PM
You hit it on the head, vinny(ie) is coming out of retirement.

fark...one more thing to lower my odds next year.

boogiesnap
10-25-2011, 08:57 PM
clear your PM box; that message annoys me. :becky:

Sledneck
10-25-2011, 08:58 PM
fark...one more thing to lower my odds next year.

Don't fear, I got vinny to quit once already won't b hard to do it again:becky:

Smokin' Aces
10-25-2011, 10:19 PM

sled i am intereted in the smokers and fans i tried to pm you pm me back and let know prices

Big Bears BBQ
10-25-2011, 10:19 PM
WSM smokers are well worth their money...........

JerryA
10-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Does anybody here cook two butts and one brisket in a single 18" WSM? I know some teams do that in comps, I tried it this past weekend at home and results were not that great. I think maybe the butts were too large and money muscles were too close to the edge where the heat rises (butts were on bottom rack), and that resulted in the front piece of the money muscles becoming tough while the inside of the money muscle was perfect. Brisket was fairly large but shrunk nicely, cooked OK.

ique
10-26-2011, 08:46 AM
How about insulation? Anyone use that reflectix stuff or a guru jacket?

Q-Dat
10-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Does anybody here cook two butts and one brisket in a single 18" WSM? I know some teams do that in comps, I tried it this past weekend at home and results were not that great. I think maybe the butts were too large and money muscles were too close to the edge where the heat rises (butts were on bottom rack), and that resulted in the front piece of the money muscles becoming tough while the inside of the money muscle was perfect. Brisket was fairly large but shrunk nicely, cooked OK.

Its a tight fit, but I point the MM'S towards the center when I do two butts on one grate.

Stacks
10-26-2011, 02:19 PM
For those doing chicken and ribs on the same WSM, are you putting one meat above the other? Staggering the times so that the ribs are done before putting on chicken? Or something else?

Chenernator, I do 3 slabs on the bottom rack if I'm using water in the pan. I found the bottom will run 20 degrees cooler so my ribs can cook at 235 while my chicken cooks at 255. I cook 16 thighs on the top rack in two foil pans so I don't get drippings on the ribs (hopefully the ribs are foiled by the time the chicken goes on anyway) If I time everything correctly, when I open the lid to tweak the chicken I pull the top rack and check the ribs then get everything closed back up and start managing the temp spike I just created. I would say this works well for me but I've yet to get a call for ribs so I may change it up a bit for next year.

Still Smokin
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Don't use the Reflectix stuff, I tried that this weekend and it melted to the sides of my WSM. It was OK for a while until I took the lid off to check meats and the temp spiked, as soon as I put the lid back on, it melted.

:doh::doh::doh:

JerryA
10-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Its a tight fit, but I point the MM'S towards the center when I do two butts on one grate.
Thanks for the response.
What size pork butts do you buy. Mine were over 9lbs each, I don't think they would have fit if MM pointed toward the center.

Q-Dat
10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the response.
What size pork butts do you buy. Mine were over 9lbs each, I don't think they would have fit if MM pointed toward the center.

That sounds about right for the size I typically use. If you have to trim the side opposite of the MM to get a better fit, it shouldn't matter much because I find the meat on the MM side of the bone to be better anyway.

Funtimebbq
10-27-2011, 12:29 AM

Jerry,

The tight fit for the butts lead me to use the 22". With the 18", there were problems when removing the butts for foiling. Sometimes the butts would fall apart right at the MM. With the extra room in the 22", I put the MMs facing the center of the grate.

Benny

Funtimebbq
10-27-2011, 12:33 AM

I also had the melting problem with the reflectix stuff. I now use the BBQ Guru jackets in all weather conditions. It helps me to use less charcoal in the 22". I can go over 16 hours on 2/3 bag of Kingsford Blue at 250 degrees.

Benny

JerryA
10-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Jerry,

The tight fit for the butts lead me to use the 22". With the 18", there were problems when removing the butts for foiling. Sometimes the butts would fall apart right at the MM. With the extra room in the 22", I put the MMs facing the center of the grate.

Benny
Thanks Benny! I have a 22 and an 18, I'm going to have to re-think my strategy!

atvalaska
10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
1-22" performer and 3 -18' wsm's ...... no 22"wsm for me...i used one(22"wsm) twice now, and i'm not liken it.........uses more fuel / lots of mass/harder.... to hold temp in my book.

ique
10-27-2011, 11:41 AM
no 22"wsm for me...i used one(22"wsm) twice now, and i'm not liken it.........uses more fuel

I've read this criticism more than once re: the 22. I don't get it. You can cook twice as much meat, of course it will take more fuel

boogiesnap
10-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I've read this criticism more than once re: the 22. I don't get it. You can cook twice as much meat, of course it will take more fuel

yeah, you really need to load that farker up to justify firing her up.

OR, just take out the middle section. i can smoke a couple racks of ribs with a 1/4 bag of stubbs.

Smokesman
10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
1-22" performer and 3 -18' wsm's ...... no 22"wsm for me...i used one(22"wsm) twice now, and i'm not liken it.........uses more fuel / lots of mass/harder.... to hold temp in my book.

ATV - I would recommend cooking on a 22 more than a couple times before tossing it as an option especially in a competition setting. I've cooked on both sizes for some time now and both get similar burn times but as Chris said of course it is going to use more fuel. This may be considered a con to some but the pros for using a 22 in comp far outweigh them. The cons for using an 18 have already been listed here. As far as holding temp I'll watch it closely and make adjustments for the first 1/2 hour after the meat goes on but after that I'm comfortable walking away for several hours. My sweet spot is 275/285.

White Dog BBQ
10-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Not to mention that you can lay 3 racks of ribs on each grate without rolling, rib rack, etc. That's huge for us.

swamprb
10-27-2011, 06:25 PM

You got that right Chris!

The big bullet is a fuel hog, thats no secret, but it does have the capacity you can't get with the 18".

The original question was regarding WSM's for competition, and thats how I'm using mine. They pretty much stay in the trailer and I rarely use them at home.

I can cook the same amount of meat on my Drum Smokers using HALF the amount of fuel as the WSM's 18 or 22. But I'm not a big fan of Ribs cooked on the drum.

So for comps I have smaller diameter charcoal rings that I use, in the 22" WSM for short cooks.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/RibOLator/IMG_1628_1.jpg

Here is an 11" diameter ring I used on my Cajun Bandit for chicken cooks.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/RibOLator/IMG_1508.jpg

We have Sausage and Tri-Tip cooks here in PNWBA Land and I've used charcoal rings using the Smokey Joe and use them in the 18" WSM's.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/CajunBandit/IMG_3514.jpg

To address the vent placement on the 1st Generation 22" WSM's the guys at Cajun Bandit came up with the High Flow charcoal ring with tabs to hold the grate, extensions on the ring to move it away from intake vents to eliminate clogging and it will hold a whole 22 lb bag of Blue Bag Kingsford.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/IMG_1559.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/IMG_1556.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/IMG_1558.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/Weber/IMG_1565.jpg

Fuel Hog? Hell yeah! I just scored a 2011 22" WSM for $250 from an Egghead that was put off by the amount of fuel it used.

I guess if the 22" WSM doesn't move atvalaska, thats cool too. I can always use another one!

What do they say? "it ain't the cooker it's the cook"

In this case it should be "it ain't the cooker - it's how you use it!"

Jeffp
10-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I use one 18 and one 22. Pork and Brisket on the 18, ribs and chicken on the 22. I like being able to lay the ribs flat. Not to mention, this set up fits best in the back of my truck with a campershell on it. There is no way I could fit 2 22s in there with everything and not have to leave my daughter at home!

que_dawg
10-28-2011, 07:35 AM
For you guys that use the BBQ Guru smoker jackets on your WSMs what are your opinions of them. Thinking about getting these, but would like to know if you that have used them regularly feel that they are worth the investment.

Sledneck
10-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Ok let me change this up a bit. No figuring cost, have any of you cooked and compared the difference between a uds and a 22 wsm?

Funtimebbq
10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
I have one for each size WSM. I use them for every cook regardless of the weather (which is not usually an issue in SoCal) to make the fuel last longer. Yesterday, I used 2/3 of a 20 lb. bag of regular Kingsford for a brisket and two butts in the 22". I placed 11 lit coals on at 7:30 pm Wed. I let the Stoker System bring the coals up to 216 degrees and put the meat on at 8 pm. The brisket came off at 9 am the next morning. All that without adding more fuel. I give credit to the Guru covers for making the fuel last that long.

Benny

JD McGee
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM

If you're lookin' for a fuel miser for comp cookin' then you may want to go with an insulated smoker...Backwoods, Stumps, Superior, Spicewine, BGE, Primo...etc...for me I fill mine to the brim and don't sweat the small stuff! :cool: For each comp I cook two butts on an 18, 2 briskets on a 22, 6 racks of ribs on a 22, and 12 chicken thighs on an 18 using 2 1/2 20lb bags of Kingsford. Sure...I can do a whole comp cook on 2 22's...but I like using different smokewoods for different meats...thus the different smoker for each meat.

big brother smoke
10-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Ok let me change this up a bit. No figuring cost, have any of you cooked and compared the difference between a uds and a 22 wsm?

Ain't much when you use a deflector in the UDS. The difference is portability IMHO!

ique
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
If you're lookin' for a fuel miser for comp cookin' then you may want to go with an insulated smoker...Backwoods, Stumps, Superior, Spicewine, BGE, Primo...etc...for me I fill mine to the brim and don't sweat the small stuff! :cool: For each comp I cook two butts on an 18, 2 briskets on a 22, 6 racks of ribs on a 22, and 12 chicken thighs on an 18 using 2 1/2 20lb bags of Kingsford. Sure...I can do a whole comp cook on 2 22's...but I like using different smokewoods for different meats...thus the different smoker for each meat.

Yeah I'm not too worried about burning an extra 1/2 bag of charcoal

RangerJ
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM

As mentioned, if you use a deflector in your UDS, not much difference at all.

Portablility, yes. Easier to load the WSM than hefting the 55 gallon drum in the truck.

Cleaning the WSM is obviously much easier as I did not have any mods on my UDS that allowed me to get the ash out with anything but a pooper scooper. A new one of course...

From what I can tell the spike in temperature is greater on my UDS than it is on the WSM. That being said, I started competing on UDS's and worked with alot more meat, and was generally much more disorganized so I believe my lids were probably off longer.

Care must be taken during transportation as you can get the center of the 22 "out of round". Whereas, nothing short of a wrecking ball affects the UDS.

The access door on the WSM comes in very handy, whereas on my UDS I would have to remove the entire top rack for access to additional meat if loaded up.

As far as quality of the cooks..well, I've walked using both and gone home empty handed with both. Which probably goes back to the "its the cook, not the cooker" saying. I like the WSM no doubt about it, but there are times I wonder why I retired my drums.

Kit R
10-28-2011, 10:40 AM
For you guys that use the BBQ Guru smoker jackets on your WSMs what are your opinions of them. Thinking about getting these, but would like to know if you that have used them regularly feel that they are worth the investment.

I used one for the first time on my 22" last weekend in Lynchburg (nothing like trying one out in one of, if not the, mother of all battles).

I've been having problems all year maintaining temp in my 22" WSM with a full load of ribs. I've been reduced to opening the side door, letting air in and then leaving it cracked a bit. I'm sure it plays havoc with the algorithm or whatever you call it in the CyberQ controller, but sometimes you have to resort to desperate measures. Anyway, on Saturday I woke to frost and near freezing temp, so I decided it was time to give the blanket a try. I tossed a full chimney of lit charcoal on a 2/3 full ring of briquettes, buttoned everything up, sat the temp on the Guru 15 higher than my cooking temp and dropped the blanket on. I put my ribs on 30 minutes later and replaced the blanket. Temp dropped about 50 degrees, then slowly rose to target and stayed within 5 degrees of target for the rest of the cook. I was pretty pleased with the end result, too as we got our second call of the day with those ribs (10th place).

I'm going to play around with the blanket some more over the winter, but it carried the day for me last week.

atvalaska
10-28-2011, 10:54 AM
well i'm still on the 18" band wagon...don't own a 22" wsm, just get them/use them , from a buddy when i'm cooking butts for more than 400 folks at a time when doing that many butts i size them ....big on top shelf and small on bottem.. setting the butts on edge i can really load the 18" up... the surface area of the 22" tends/tended to cool/codense the water inside the cooker a bit more ..even with the same amout of "food "in each....maybe it has some thing to do with living near 2000' on a mountain top, and a millon lakes out in the backyard...just sayin.....:tape:

swamprb
10-28-2011, 08:33 PM

I'd been cooking on UDS's for a couple years before the 22" WSM came out and used them in competition as well. Many times I dragged along an 18" WSM to comps and never fired it up.

At the time I wasn't hip to turbo cooking, when in fact that is pretty much what I was doing cooking direct on the drums. I wasn't foiling, and my heavy meats pretty much went from the cooker to the Cambro. I was middle of the pack with Chicken & Ribs and cellar dweller with Brisket & Pork.

Comment cards were not kind either, I'd get feedback like like "too much Creosote" or "tastes like Liquid Smoke", I just thought the CBJ's were not used to the flavor of the fats dripping on the coals and the layer of flavor the drums imparted.

But a couple seasoned WSM Mentor teams were talking to me about my drums at a comp and they confided to removing the waterpans and cooking direct and getting the same responses.

So I figured if I wanted to play the game, it would be easier to change my cooker and cooking style than to change the judges minds and palates with the drums.
Anyway, after the last turn in people thought my cookers were trash cans and ash containers!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Alki/100_2022.jpg

All costs aside, I stock up on BBK when its on sale and I'm not being a tighta$$ with charcoal. I just don't see the point of using a full ring of briqs for a 4-5 hour cook. It works for me and it works in my drums as well.

If I were to cook with all drums, I'd still cook direct, foil sooner and use smaller charcoal baskets and offset them in the drum. I'd never have to worry about my drums being out of round, bent legs, door handle falling off, dented, rusted or porcelain chipped.
I could load a couple bags of charcoal, smoke woods, weed torch, propane tank and grill brush and stack stuff on top the drums in the trailer and not worry about them being thrashed when I open the trailer!

swamprb
10-28-2011, 08:38 PM
I used one for the first time on my 22" last weekend in Lynchburg (nothing like trying one out in one of, if not the, mother of all battles).

I've been having problems all year maintaining temp in my 22" WSM with a full load of ribs. I've been reduced to opening the side door, letting air in and then leaving it cracked a bit. I'm sure it plays havoc with the algorithm or whatever you call it in the CyberQ controller, but sometimes you have to resort to desperate measures. Anyway, on Saturday I woke to frost and near freezing temp, so I decided it was time to give the blanket a try. I tossed a full chimney of lit charcoal on a 2/3 full ring of briquettes, buttoned everything up, sat the temp on the Guru 15 higher than my cooking temp and dropped the blanket on. I put my ribs on 30 minutes later and replaced the blanket. Temp dropped about 50 degrees, then slowly rose to target and stayed within 5 degrees of target for the rest of the cook. I was pretty pleased with the end result, too as we got our second call of the day with those ribs (10th place).

I'm going to play around with the blanket some more over the winter, but it carried the day for me last week.

I had similar problems using the Guru and a full load of briqs in the 22" WSM. (No jacket) I talked to Kenny Baker & Bob Trudnak and they suggested using lump.

Chenernator
10-28-2011, 11:19 PM

I use far less charcoal in my UDS compared to my 18" WSM (using a water pan). I'd estimate 1/3 to 1/2 of what the WSM uses. If I don't use water, the difference is closer, but the UDS still uses less. The difference between a UDS and a 22 would be significant.