PDA

View Full Version : Competition Class????????????

BABYGOTBUTT
10-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Ok...I am considering attending a BBQ class and would appreciate any feedback anyone has on any of the classes they have attended. I have heard good things about Johnny Triggs class. Anybody been to Myron Mixon's class? If so was it worth it? Do they hold anything back (that you can tell)? Any other worthwhile classes?

Thanks!!!!!!

John

southernstyle
10-16-2011, 08:02 PM
rub bagby "swamp boys" has a class close to you very soon. lots of brandnew teams with top fives and serval gc first couple of times out. nice guy to boot http://www.swampboys.com/Summer_Q_School.htm

southernstyle
10-16-2011, 08:04 PM
try this one instead http://www.swampboys.com/MarylandPoster.htm

jbrink01
10-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Ok...I am considering attending a BBQ class and would appreciate any feedback anyone has on any of the classes they have attended. I have heard good things about Johnny Triggs class. Anybody been to Myron Mixon's class? If so was it worth it? Do they hold anything back (that you can tell)? Any other worthwhile classes?

Thanks!!!!!!

John

There are many great classes. Pick your weakest meat and take a class from the best cook in that category. IMHO. I took a class last year and my pork went from total carp to 12 in TOY.

CBQ
10-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Myron's class is good, but you don't need to spend the big bucks for a big name team. Find a local team that wins a lot and take their class first.

Just Smokin' Around
10-16-2011, 09:37 PM
try this one instead http://www.swampboys.com/MarylandPoster.htm

I believe that class is full.

As for taking a class, I took one the first year I started and learned a lot. I thought it was worthwhile. I actually cooked against the teacher at a contest the following year and beat him with his own technique - he was second. However, you need to decide how much of what they teach you might use and does your cooker match that style. For example, they could tell you they cook at 300, or higher. They may cook on an offset and you have a vertical gravity fed or pellet cooker. The techniques can be useful in any situation and may prove worth the $500 (or more).

Leatherheadiowa
10-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I have always considered a class but, if you are professional, polite, and courteous then traveling to a contest and picking brains is just as helpful. We love talking to the people we buy our supplies from. We explain we won't continue to buy if they don't help make sure we are using the stuff correctly. If they don't we go to somebody that will.

Scottie
10-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I heard Mike Wozniak from QUAU has a successful class. I heard quite a few are going to the Jack and are also in the KCBS top 25 TOY overall and categories... :thumb:

Go to learn, not worry if you are getting everything in their aresenal. At my class i make sure that while I teach my flavors, i want the students to do their own things. Meaning their own rubs and sauces. Do i hold anything back? No i do not. I do my class for other reasons than to make money for me or my team. I make money for cancer reaearch and if i am going to get recommendations from past students, i better make it good...

I'll have some big time announcements coming up when i can get details ironed out. It will be pretty darn exciting. Especially for me!!!

Good luck!!

Leatherheadiowa
10-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I would love to host cancersuckschicago for a class in Des Moines! If that doesn't work, I love Chicago and would be happy to come out! Let us all know!

BurninTree BBQ
10-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Scottie you have to do a class on the eastcoast. (PA)

Plowboy
10-16-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm doing a class first part of next year in PA. Working with Fred's Music Supply in Reading area on dates.

American Royal GC & RGC cooks attended my classes with Butcher BBQ this last winter.

Sledneck
10-17-2011, 04:51 AM
I heard Mike Wozniak from QUAU has a successful class. I heard quite a few are going to the Jack and are also in the KCBS top 25 TOY overall and categories... :thumb:

Go to learn, not worry if you are getting everything in their aresenal. At my class i make sure that while I teach my flavors, i want the students to do their own things. Meaning their own rubs and sauces. Do i hold anything back? No i do not. I do my class for other reasons than to make money for me or my team. I make money for cancer reaearch and if i am going to get recommendations from past students, i better make it good...

I'll have some big time announcements coming up when i can get details ironed out. It will be pretty darn exciting. Especially for me!!!

Good luck!!Csc & quau class in NY sure would be nice

BurninTree BBQ
10-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Todd will you be putting it on your website or facebook? Really interested

INmitch
10-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I took 2 classes in the off season last year. I took Todd and Butchers class in MI and flew out to Triggs class in CA. Had a total of $2k invested including travel expenses. By incorporating some of what I learned from Todd on brisket (180 in Bentonville last weekend thanks Todd:thumb:) and some of Triggs on pork my winnings are right at $21k this year. I would love to take Scotties class but it's always the same week that us Fowl Butts go on our annual cruise.

Shiz-Nit
10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm doing a class first part of next year in PA. Working with Fred's Music Supply in Reading area on dates.

American Royal GC & RGC cooks attended my classes with Butcher BBQ this last winter.

You doing anything close to Kentucky?

Scottie
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I would love to take Scotties class but it's always the same week that us Fowl Butts go on our annual cruise.

Working on a couple of dates and locations Jan. Probably one in February and another early April? Hope to make some announcements soon.

Rich Parker
10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Working on a couple of dates and locations Jan. Probably one in February and another early April? Hope to make some announcements soon.

On the Jambo this year?

Scottie
10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
On the Jambo this year?

Maybe there will be other Jambo's there....:twisted: But i might split it between the Jambo and the FEC...

INmitch
10-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Thanks!!!!!!

John
I guess I didn't answer your question in my ealier post. If your serious about bbq comps take a class or 5. I've had a few teams say "well you went to so n so's class we want to do it on our own". I say oh well. It's not like I've followed anyones recipe to the dime. You get some great input to put with what your already doing and sometimes it all comes together.:thumb:

KC_Bobby
10-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I think I heard a rumor that Tippy and Ryan will be teaching the Iowa BBQ Society annual Spring Training - and handing out step by step competition notes. :wink:

Plowboy
10-19-2011, 12:42 AM
I guess I didn't answer your question in my ealier post. If your serious about bbq comps take a class or 5. I've had a few teams say "well you went to so n so's class we want to do it on our own". I say oh well. It's not like I've followed anyones recipe to the dime. You get some great input to put with what your already doing and sometimes it all comes together.:thumb:

I love the "I want to do it on my own" people who, out of the other side of their mouth, ask for advice or want to look over your shoulder. I'm sure they put their fingers in their ears or eyes when they see or hear anyone talking about BBQ. I'm sure they aren't members here browsing pictures or discussions. I'm sure they are way to busy figuring it out ALL on their own. :roll: The reality is that most (or all) of us are listening and learning all of the time. I've picked up something from every class I've taken. Sometimes they are little things and sometimes big things.

worthsmokin
10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
I agree with Todd. I am not trying to take away from some great instructors of BBQ that do this for side money, but I have never taken a "true" bbq class. I am no way self taught. I got into BBQ on my own not knowing anything, I have learned from forums and meeting teams at contest.

If it was me, since nobody is really "self taught" pick a class and take it. You will save yourself thou$and$.

SCSmoke
10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I am very interested in one, especially near Chicago.

Scottie
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
I am very interested in one, especially near Chicago.

Watch here. They will be posted on the Brethren for sure.

stan
10-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I have not taken a clas yet but plan to soon. I know Todd puts on a great class and have heard positive things about Scotties too. Maybe I mised it but Rod Gray also puts on a good class. My ting is finding one that fits in with a busy family schedule but my plan is to take one in 2012.

indianagriller
10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I took 2 classes in the off season last year. I took Todd and Butchers class in MI and flew out to Triggs class in CA. Had a total of $2k invested including travel expenses. By incorporating some of what I learned from Todd on brisket (180 in Bentonville last weekend thanks Todd:thumb:) and some of Triggs on pork my winnings are right at $21k this year. I would love to take Scotties class but it's always the same week that us Fowl Butts go on our annual cruise.

So when is your class Jan?

lcbbq
10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
I have singed up for a the Fast Eddy/Butcher class In December. Really looking forward to it.

mclancey
10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I have singed up for a the Fast Eddy/Butcher class In December. Really looking forward to it.

I will be there as well.

INmitch
10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
So when is your class Jan?
Ha! I just saw this JT. Me teachin a class would be scary. The only thing I'm really good at is drinking lots of value vodka. (Mike from Team Enoserv said it's not cheap vodka it's value vodka.):becky:

butt head
10-20-2011, 02:56 PM

please let me know when you work this out! to close not to go.

Nordy
10-20-2011, 06:06 PM
I will be there as well.

Add me to the Fast Eddy/Butcher BBQ List too. See you all there

N

SmokinGuitarPlayer
10-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Todd / Plowboys class will be at Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. the second weekend of March. I don't have an official registration page setup yet but PM me if you want to get on the early notice list.