PDA

View Full Version : Awesome First Competition

hogzgonewild
10-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Well, I'm still trying to figure out if we were in a Coma yesterday and dreamed all this up, but somehow we were able to take Grand Champions in the Backyard Burners division of the Cherokee Pignic this weekend in our FIRST COMPETITION! We ended up with 8 out of 34 teams in Friday night's Sauce contest and then 4th in Chicken, 3rd in Ribs, and 1st in Butts to round out all the big categories on Saturday either on stage or with a call.

Big thanks to all the Brethren who helped us out with their posts and comments to our threads in the past few months, as well as Buckshot Malone, who walked about 1/2 mile 3-4 times during the contest from his site to check on us and give us tips. Also a big shout out to MojoBricks. We loved using your Cherry Mojobricks in our UDS for Chicken and Stick-burner with Pork and Ribs.

We were going to wait and see how this one went before we signed up for another competition, and I think we have a unanimous decision to sign up for one in November.

Thanks again for all of the help and tips!

Hogzgonewild

Rich Parker
10-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Congratulations!

mjljr13
10-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Anyone have results of Cherokee pignic competition yet?

Lake Dogs
10-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Congratulations!!!

lazy butt
10-16-2011, 11:05 AM
great job!!!!

bbqchicken
10-16-2011, 12:00 PM
:cheer2: congrats

J_Don
10-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Congrats :clap2:

Pig Headed
10-16-2011, 12:53 PM
WTG, congrats.

NRA4Life
10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Congratulations!

Rookie'48
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Congrats! Are you already looking around for your next comp? :rolleyes:

fnbish
10-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Awesome! That is great for your first time out. I was there too, but I didn't compete in this one. It was actually my first time judging and was for the pro division. Lots of good food.

When are you competing again next? It would be fun to meet up with more Brethren in GA. I've met a few already this year.

Pigs on Fire
10-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Congrats, Hogz.

We were sitting there and knew that they were going to call your name after they announced Reserve Grand. Good job.

The Cherokee Pignic has got to be the best organized contests in the country. These people really go completely all out and above and beyond taking care of the cook teams. You will probably never see the amount of golf carts and workers like they have at any other contest. And free ice, delivered!! Yeah, their entry fee is $40 higher than your average KCBS contest, but you get that $40 and more from them.

Congrats to all that were called and walked.

We had a good time. We missed the Dessert category and a 180 by 1.15 points. We took 2nd in pork and I happened to trip over the extension cords in front of our site and went face down into the turf with the pork box. We re-built it and got it turned in. I think the man upstairs was playing with us yesterday.

bbqbull
10-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Outstanding news and congrats!!!

Leatherheadiowa
10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
I love the fact that you pointed out the help is out there for rookies and that morale is up and you are ready to go again! Great work!

Rub
10-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Congrats!!

hogzgonewild
10-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Congrats, Hogz.

We were sitting there and knew that they were going to call your name after they announced Reserve Grand. Good job.

The Cherokee Pignic has got to be the best organized contests in the country. These people really go completely all out and above and beyond taking care of the cook teams. You will probably never see the amount of golf carts and workers like they have at any other contest. And free ice, delivered!! Yeah, their entry fee is $40 higher than your average KCBS contest, but you get that $40 and more from them.

Congrats to all that were called and walked.

We had a good time. We missed the Dessert category and a 180 by 1.15 points. We took 2nd in pork and I happened to trip over the extension cords in front of our site and went face down into the turf with the pork box. We re-built it and got it turned in. I think the man upstairs was playing with us yesterday.

We could not believe how nice everyone was. Pro teams, Backyard Teams, KCBS Officials, and Pignic Staff were unbelievably amazing. We had chats with so many great people throughout the contest. After our water hose burst from the water pressure, the team next to us was helpful by getting it shut off and letting us use their hose for the rest of the competition, and we thought it was awesome how everyone gave us a "good luck" and a clap each time we walked our boxes down to the judges.

Sticks-n-chicks
10-17-2011, 07:47 AM
congrats!

Wrench_H
10-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Congrats, thats awesome!