PDA

View Full Version : Keep sauce warm at contests

SmokeInDaEye
10-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Depending on my mood, I use anywhere from 2 to 4 different sauces during contests and warming new ones between categories can be a real PITA plus an added mess.

It's not cheap but I was thinking that a sauce bottle warmer such as Amazon.com: Squeeze Bottle Topping Warmer: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31SEE3k3JsL.@@AMEPARAM@@31SEE3k3JsL (http://www.amazon.com/Server-Squeeze-Bottle-Topping-Warmer/dp/accessories/B0028L4QNG)
could be a nice option, or even one of these ones (http://www.promedxpress.com/products/pure-gel-5-bottle-electric-lotion-warmer/231-0038-03/?sourcecode=SHOPPING) that are made for medical purposes but should work just as well.

Anyone ever tried something like these? Show up with the sauce pre-bottled, start heating around 11am and seems like you'd be ready to roll.

bignburlyman
10-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Would a baby bottle warmer do the same thing? This one is listed for $25 on Amazon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BTpkmDJFL.jpg

Matt_A
10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
How about a pot of hot water? Really inexpensive.

WineMaster
10-13-2011, 09:37 AM
I use a 1/2 sheet pans or throw away meatloaf pans for warming up my sauces. Mostly because I Brush on some sauce, dunk some and let meat hold in warm sauce also. Plus if your blending sauce, your gonna use a bowl or pan anyways. 1/2 sheet pans are too cheap + its 1 less dish to wash.

SmokeInDaEye
10-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Would a baby bottle warmer do the same thing? This one is listed for $25 on Amazon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BTpkmDJFL.jpg

It might. Will have to take a look at those!

How about a pot of hot water? Really inexpensive.

But then I wouldn't have another piece of equipment I don't really need!:-D

I'm always looking for ways to simplify my contest cooking especially for when I'm flying solo. Seemed like a cool thing to also have for catering gigs or backyard parties when you want to give guests a selection of sauces.

timzcardz
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Seemed like a cool thing to also have for catering gigs or backyard parties when you want to give guests a selection of sauces.

Seems cool, BUT at $240 also seems a bit excessive!

southernstyle
10-13-2011, 10:11 AM
just place your container of sauce in your cambro or cooler your meat is in.

Smokin' Hicks
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
we use a crock pot and put our bottle in there.....that is by far the way to go

cmcadams
10-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I think the condiment warmer would be very cool.

bignburlyman
10-13-2011, 11:30 AM

I'm always looking for ways to simplify my contest cooking especially for when I'm flying solo. Seemed like a cool thing to also have for catering gigs or backyard parties when you want to give guests a selection of sauces.

I would say the condiment warmer would look much cooler than the baby bottle warmer, lol. But if cost was considered the bottle warmer should do the job.

we use a crock pot and put our bottle in there.....that is by far the way to go

Now that is good thinking, a multi-tasker!

ammoore
10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
One simple solution would be to just stick the bottle of sauce in your cambro or cooler with the hot product. I've done this in the past with a cooler.

This of course only applies if you use a cambro or cooler to hold your meats.

SmokeInDaEye
10-13-2011, 02:46 PM
I just bought one of these cheap bottle warmers to try out at a block party next weekend before spending more. I thought the idea of having warm sauce for people to serve themselves would be nice plus I can use it at comps. Never thought of the cambro, either...

Amazon.com: The First Years Babypro Quick Serve Bottle Warmer, Colors May Vary: Baby@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31PlCiDkPGL.@@AMEPARAM@@31PlCiDkPGL (http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Babypro-Bottle-Warmer/dp/B00005BXKM/ref=pd_sbs_ba1)

huminie
10-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I put my sauce in a small loaf pan, cover it tightly with foil and then place on the low shelf of my cooker.

Brewmaster
10-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Just so you know, I have been using the baby bottle warmer idea for awhile. And you need to know, when you go to use a heated squeeze bottle, the pressure builds behind the sauce and you get more sauce coming out than you were wanting without even squeezing. I know if sounds weird but there is an art to using a heated squeeze bottle. If you are using this for the public to use I would try it out for yourself first. This could be because the baby bottle warmer I have only goes half way up the bottle. Or maybe I am warming it too much. Just thought I would put that out there.

Cheers,
Nate

ParkAvenue_2
10-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Just don't pull out the hot air hair blower if you're at a KCBS contest! :doh:

Smokenstein & monster crew
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Since you have no time to warm sauces, you could get adult diapers to save time with that whole thing too. Keep it a theme for a contest or two :laugh:

baby bottle(warmers)/diapers/bibs ..go for the whole shebang.....might be good for a peoples choice contest
Thats also good for when you dont get a call, & feel like crying in the corner waiting for this

SmokeInDaEye
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Since you have no time to warm sauces, you could get adult diapers to save time with that whole thing too. Keep it a theme for a contest or two :laugh:

baby bottle(warmers)/diapers/bibs ..go for the whole shebang.....might be good for a peoples choice contest
Thats also good for when you dont get a call, & feel like crying in the corner waiting for this

Funny. Remind me to park my RV exhaust next to your tent at the next event.:-D

atvalaska
10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
last year i told the wife to warm the sauce up ....she did......... i dunked my chicken and to this day i have NO hair on my right fingers.

Smokenstein & monster crew
10-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Funny. Remind me to park my RV exhaust next to your tent at the next event.:-D

Still foggy from all that exhaust. WOOOOOSH, who needs drugs
could of been worse ?????
Could of got chipotle in my eye :shocked:

SmokeInDaEye
11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
In keeping with the baby theme, I just picked up one of these to keep an eye on my smokers while I'm inside.

Podge
11-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I suggest a new rule for KCBS.. "Once the sauce leaves the bottle, it shall not be re-heated"..(jk of course)

huminie
11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I've always thought that if you could invent a small camera where the lens wouldn't get fogged or gunked up that could take live pics of the inside of a smoker, you would be rich.

SmokeInDaEye
11-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I've always thought that if you could invent a small camera where the lens wouldn't get fogged or gunked up that could take live pics of the inside of a smoker, you would be rich.

That would be awesome.

The_Kapn
11-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a 20+ year old coffee pot.
You know, the 20 cup or so vertical ones.
We put a couple of inches of water in there.
Heats up sauce squeeze bottles just fine. :-D

Cheap and easy.

TIM

cmcadams
11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
You go inside when your smoker is going?