PDA

View Full Version : Steve Farrin For KCBS Board of Directors

Sledneck
10-11-2011, 12:18 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Farrin-for-KCBS-Board-of-Directors/229377753782610?sk=info

Damn. Gotta renew m membership again!

Rookie'48
10-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I think that Steve would make a great BoD member - I'll vote for him.

Bunny
10-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Steve is a perfect candidate for the KCBS Board. You have our vote, Steve! :thumb:

ThomEmery
10-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Steve is outspoken and upfront
That indeed would be refreshing

Big Ugly's BBQ
10-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Steve is good for BBQ, he's got my vote!

bover
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Out of curiosity, I went and looked at his public profile here on this site. Based on his profile pic alone I'd say that he's definitely got my vote! Outspoken may be an understatement...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=458&pictureid=4316

Podge
10-11-2011, 03:09 PM
he's certainly got my vote !.. several years experience as a qualified cook, and probably has seen it all.

goodsmokebbq
10-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Go Steve!! You have our full support!!

Sawdustguy
10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
He has the vote of the Manorville, NY Polish coalition.:thumb:

HarleyGirl14226
10-11-2011, 06:09 PM
You've got my vote!

CBQ
10-11-2011, 07:26 PM
he's certainly got my vote !.. several years experience as a qualified cook, and probably has seen it all.

More than several. His team I Smell Smoke!!! has been cooking and winning for over 15 years in the northeast. In 2009 they hit the road to see how they would fare on the national stage.

http://kcbs.us/team-of-2009-overall.php

I guess they did OK. :becky:

JimmyDAL
10-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Steve, you have my vote!

Slamdunkpro
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Questions for the Candidate:

What specific changes would you want to implement if elected?
Name 2 goals that you would like to see completed and implemented during your term (again, be specific)

Do you feel that the direction that KCBS is going in is the correct one? If not, where would you like to guide it?

Would you be willing to vote to publish a list of committee members for all the KCBS committees?

Are you for or against full disclosure of KCBS financials?

Should board members be ineligible to vote on issues before the KCBS board where they stand to gain financially from their vote?

The Virginian
10-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Go Steve. He's got my vote.

Jorge
10-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Steve Farrin is one of the best people I've met in BBQ and one of the best people I can think of to serve on the board at this time. He's got an open mind, and new ideas to benefit the membership.

Jeff_in_KC
10-11-2011, 10:28 PM
^^^^^
What he said!!!

Slamdunkpro
10-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Steve Farrin is one of the best people I've met in BBQ .................................... and new ideas to benefit the membership.

Care to elaborate?

Jorge
10-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Care to elaborate?

I'll let Steve speak for himself when it comes to his ideas, but I'll tell you a personal story that I believe says a lot about him as a cook and a person.

Several years ago I flew up to Long Island and went to New Paltz, NY to cook a contest with friends and members of this forum. Phil Rizzardi, and the boys from Willie B's (Willie, Chris, and Fred). We each took a category and being the Texan they decided I should cook the brisket. I had a lot of fun that weekend, and finished 17th in my category with pulled brisket point. It wasn't intentional, but we made the best of a bad situation. Steve and ISS!!! won, and we managed a top 10 finish thanks to the other guys...not that my brisket could have made a difference. I went over to congratulate Steve before we finished packing up and vowed not to come back until I learned to cook a proper brisket.

After I got home, I sent a follow up message to congratulate him again and mentioned my embarassment about my brisket. His response was "Have any questions?" or something to that effect. That spoke volumes to me about what kind of cook and person he was. Steve and his team were on fire that year and he could have just said "Thanks".

I'll share one more story that speaks directly to his character. A few years ago, before the forum became as large as it is now there was a charity auction being held to quietly raise some money for a members family. Steve stepped up and was willing to auction off a kit containing all of the ingredients he was using in competition including recipes. The bidding was fierce and I decided early on that it was going to be mine, so I planned to snipe it at the last second regardless of cost as there was a time limit. I'm a type A personality and I was motivated...my brisket needed it:icon_blush::laugh: I got in under the wire, and then another bidder came in and seemed to have won/bid more. From the airport, and checking things out on his cell Steve asked if I could close the auction as a moderator at that time...and then he said he'd honor both bids. Keep in mind he provided the product for two packages and shipping for one, out of his own pocket. We arranged for me to pick mine up at the Royal later in the year. Character, again.

Does that answer your question?:becky:

wickedbbq'r
10-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Steve, you have our vote.

Sawdustguy
10-12-2011, 07:02 AM
I'll let Steve speak for himself when it comes to his ideas, but I'll tell you a personal story that I believe says a lot about him as a cook and a person.

Several years ago I flew up to Long Island and went to New Paltz, NY to cook a contest with friends and members of this forum. Phil Rizzardi, and the boys from Willie B's (Willie, Chris, and Fred). We each took a category and being the Texan they decided I should cook the brisket. I had a lot of fun that weekend, and finished 17th in my category with pulled brisket point. It wasn't intentional, but we made the best of a bad situation. Steve and ISS!!! won, and we managed a top 10 finish thanks to the other guys...not that my brisket could have made a difference. I went over to congratulate Steve before we finished packing up and vowed not to come back until I learned to cook a proper brisket.

After I got home, I sent a follow up message to congratulate him again and mentioned my embarassment about my brisket. His response was "Have any questions?" or something to that effect. That spoke volumes to me about what kind of cook and person he was. Steve and his team were on fire that year and he could have just said "Thanks".

I'll share one more story that speaks directly to his character. A few years ago, before the forum became as large as it is now there was a charity auction being held to quietly raise some money for a members family. Steve stepped up and was willing to auction off a kit containing all of the ingredients he was using in competition including recipes. The bidding was fierce and I decided early on that it was going to be mine, so I planned to snipe it at the last second regardless of cost as there was a time limit. I'm a type A personality and I was motivated...my brisket needed it:icon_blush::laugh: I got in under the wire, and then another bidder came in and seemed to have won/bid more. From the airport, and checking things out on his cell Steve asked if I could close the auction as a moderator at that time...and then he said he'd honor both bids. Keep in mind he provided the product for two packages and shipping for one, out of his own pocket. We arranged for me to pick mine up at the Royal later in the year. Character, again.

He even allowed the Polocks to get in on that one. He gave us our batch of ingredients at Rock n' Rinfest in New Hampshire. Good guy.....straight shooter.

Slamdunkpro
10-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Honestly, no. Steve's character isn't in question, I want to hear these great new ideas for KCBS, for me this is KCBS's last chance to retain my membership. As a voting member I want more than warm fuzzy platitudes from BOD candidates before they get my vote. See my questions above and in your thread now too:becky:

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Honestly, no. Steve's character isn't in question, I want to hear these great new ideas for KCBS, for me this is KCBS's last chance to retain my membership. As a voting member I want more than warm fuzzy platitudes from BOD candidates before they get my vote. See my questions above and in your thread now too:becky:

Hey Michael, I'm running as well and will answer your questions too as soon as I'm able to sit down and write. Getting ready to leave for the Jack in a few days and I'm focused there right now, however, I have a question for you at your convenience - you mention this is the last chance for KCBS to retain your membership. Would you mind sharing what is causing you to feel this way? I plan to ask this question to a lot of people over the next few months - what do YOU see as the major shortcomings of KCBS? See, I have plenty of ideas of my own but when it all boils down, if elected, I'm only elected to represent the beliefs and needs of the voters/members of KCBS. To the best of my abilities, my voice is the members' voice.

Slamdunkpro
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Hey Michael, I'm running as well and will answer your questions too as soon as I'm able to sit down and write. Getting ready to leave for the Jack in a few days and I'm focused there right now,
I'll be at the Jack as well so I feel your focus:wink:
however, I have a question for you at your convenience - you mention this is the last chance for KCBS to retain your membership. Would you mind sharing what is causing you to feel this way?
As a member, competitor, and organizer, I see KCBS focusing more and more on revenue generation while the product (sanctioning and education) plummits in quality. Shady deals, blatant procedural issues at events, glaring loopholes in the rules, projects that just wander on continuously (kinda like this sentence), the judging program situation, all contribute to my impression that the current KCBS management just doesn't give a rat's ass as long as the checks clear.
See, I have plenty of ideas of my own but when it all boils down, if elected, I'm only elected to represent the beliefs and needs of the voters/members of KCBS. To the best of my abilities, my voice is the members' voice.
Based on this statement I'm not sure you're my candidate. We've got enough board members now that just slosh back and forth with the tide. To me, board members are elected to LEAD, not focus group. I want a board that's going to have vision and put that vision into action. I want a board that demands results from the committees.

Examples

The pork collar rule and definition as it stands now is gibberish - fix it and keep on rules until they do. As KCBS gets more into big money events the holes in the rules just get bigger.
Judging - on the whole it works pretty well but there needs to be some standards of excellence taught at the classes and a coherent methodology of feedback to the cooks needs to implemented. CBJ needs to mean more than "my check cleared"

Enough ranting from me for now. I appreciate that we have candidates that are willing to step up knowing all the slings and arrows they are in for. Thanks for listening and running Jeff.

Jorge
10-12-2011, 11:00 AM

And you shall have a brief version shortly:becky:

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Based on this statement I'm not sure you're my candidate. We've got enough board members now that just slosh back and forth with the tide. To me, board members are elected to LEAD, not focus group. I want a board that's going to have vision and put that vision into action. I want a board that demands results from the committees.

I probably need to look more closely at how I worded that! :becky: What I mean by this is that opinions of the membership are very important to me. I have ideas that I will outline soon that I feel are very important based upon my experiences in KCBS. However, ideas that are presented to me that appear to be a general consensus of folks (i.e. the Brethren and other forums, people I hear talking at contests and those who communicate to me, all taken together as a whole) should be given serious consideration. Anyone who knows me well knows I'm not one to slosh back and forth with the tide. It's funny you mention the results from committees. In my conversations with George, Dave and Steve in the last few days, one of the issues I've brought up as being important to me is committee involvement. I think committees SHOULD be published by KCBS, just as the board members are listed. I think they should hold regular meetings just as the board does. I'm thinking a committee chair should be separate from the board member but that the chair reports directly to the board member responsible for that committee and the board member attends and participates as needed. The board liaison then reports the committee's work back to the board each month with "no report" being unacceptable. I realize the structure of things will have to be changed to put this in place but honestly, the current structure just isn't working and nothing gets done on several committees. I'll get you more after the Jack! Look forward to meeting you there!

YankeeBBQ
10-12-2011, 12:17 PM
What specific changes would you want to implement if elected?

I would like to see more transparency and greater openness between the BOD and its membership. While I believe things have improved I think the Board relies on closed door meetings way too much. I would like to see the rules simplified and clarified, why are there parting rules for pork but not for the other 3 categories?

Name 2 goals that you would like to see completed and implemented during your term (again, be specific)
(1) Make Board meetings more accessible by the use of a webcast or podcast where members can just tune in and don't have to request permission. This would only be for observing the meetings; if a member wanted to address the board I see the need for registering.
(2) Put in place a means for KCBS to build better relationship with regional organizations like NEBS, CBBQA, IABBQ, MABBQA etc. I think these organizations have been largely ignored and even perhaps persecuted the past few years. It's time to recognize the positive impact these organizations have had on the growth of bbq, by interacting with the general public and news agencies, hosting cooking classes, organizing KCBS competitions and setting up KCBS judging classes. These are all part of the KCBS Mission Statement.

Do you feel that the direction that KCBS is going in is the correct one? If not, where would you like to guide it?

I feel the BOD has improved over the past year and it's members seem to be showing each other more respect both inside and outside the Board room. Building relationships with large corporations is a good thing in my view as long as the Board doesn't forget its roots, ie the small contests that helped to build this great organization.
We need to stay focused and remember there is room for all types of events, not just the Mega Money events and series. Most teams get their start in smaller events because it's more affordable and these events are less intimidating for beginners. The KCBS BOD needs to stay focused on its mission statement and not just focus on dollar signs.

Would you be willing to vote to publish a list of committee members for all the KCBS committees?

Yes absolutely. How can a committee do a proper job without communicating with the membership ?

Are you for or against full disclosure of KCBS financials?

I am for full disclosure.

Should board members be ineligible to vote on issues before the KCBS board where they stand to gain financially from their vote?

Yes !