PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smoketoberfest - Oct. 14th-15th - Greencastle PA

mclancey
10-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Smokerhead will be there.

Looks like they lost a few teams to the Sam's Club Event the same weekend, so there are still spots available if any teams want to get in.

http://www.smoketoberfestbbq.com/

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-05-2011, 06:46 AM
we are in...lets hope it doesnt snow again!!

mclancey
10-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Trying to forcast the weather 10 days in advance is silly but, the forecast right now for friday shows a high of 63 and a low of 55 for friday.

mclancey
10-05-2011, 06:52 AM
and showers.

Big Ugly's BBQ
10-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Think SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bbqbandit70
10-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Live And Let Smoke is in and looking forward to our last comp of the year.

mclancey
10-05-2011, 09:11 AM
I think it's going to snow in Arkansas that weekend.

Big Ugly's BBQ
10-05-2011, 10:16 AM
One could only hope................................:twisted:

Kit R
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Eric didn't lose US.........:violin:

Even though we did want to move on in the other series, we are super happy to be going to Chambersburg. This will our third trip out there in the past twleve months, and there is not a better guy in the business than Eric. And hey it will be a great dress rehearsal for the next weekend!

BABYGOTBUTT
10-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Baby got Butt is looking forward to our second competition. We did our first in Deale Md at Smokin on the Bay. Finished 18th overall out of 40 and 5th in chicken so we were excited given it was our first. This was competition was recommended to us. Looking forward to meeting a lot of great people!!!!

powerpig
10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
PowerpigBBQ will be there. This is our first comp and I'm really nervous. The wife is really sick of chicken thighs as I've been practicing daily for the past couple of weeks. Did a pulled pork test run last night and I must say it did come out well with my new injection marinade. Testing some ribs as I type this.

That said, I'm looking to rent a trailer to haul my grills up there. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

In any event, here's looking forward to meeting new Q friends!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Eric didn't lose US.........:violin:

Even though we did want to move on in the other series, we are super happy to be going to Chambersburg. This will our third trip out there in the past twleve months, and there is not a better guy in the business than Eric. And hey it will be a great dress rehearsal for the next weekend!

your turn to bring the moss tea!!

Kit R
10-05-2011, 01:34 PM
PowerpigBBQ will be there. This is our first comp and I'm really nervous. The wife is really sick of chicken thighs as I've been practicing daily for the past couple of weeks. Did a pulled pork test run last night and I must say it did come out well with my new injection marinade. Testing some ribs as I type this.

That said, I'm looking to rent a trailer to haul my grills up there. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Nothing to be nervous about! The worst thing that can happen is you don't come home with some bling, but that is fine. Get in there, do your best and you'll have fun. Talk to some other competitors and get to know them a little. The vast majority of folks are more than happy to share some knowledge with you. Except for Sal; he jealously guards the moss tea injection marinade recipe used on his 1st place pork from last year's Smoketoberfest.

As for trailers, what kind of grills do you have? If they're not too large, many people rent the U-Haul 6' trailers. I have done that before we got our travel trailer and it worked fine.

We'll be in spot #13 (Degüello BBQ). Stop by and share a red cup with us.

Kit

Kit R
10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
your turn to bring the moss tea!!

Oh no I forgot to harvest the moss off the north side of the trees by moonlight out back of our townhouse. Store bought moss is just not the same. :tsk:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Nothing to be nervous about! The worst thing that can happen is you don't come home with some bling, but that is fine. Get in there, do your best and you'll have fun. Talk to some other competitors and get to know them a little. The vast majority of folks are more than happy to share some knowledge with you. Except for Sal; he jealously guards the moss tea injection marinade recipe used on his 1st place pork from last year's Smoketoberfest.

Kit

its made from PEOPLE!!!!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-05-2011, 01:40 PM

if you find yourself in need of anything Eric from Mason Dixon BBQ supply will have a bunch of stuff there..if not Ill help you steal it from Kit!!!

Kit R
10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
One could only hope................................:twisted:

I'm just hoping that back-dated resume I sent to Dan doesn't get rejected. :help:

Kit R
10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
if you find yourself in need of anything Eric from Mason Dixon BBQ supply will have a bunch of stuff there..if not Ill help you steal it from Kit!!!

Sal I guess now would be the time to tell you about my new perimeter detection/defense system. Features include IR cameras for detection and remote firing tasers for defense. I suggest using Dishwater as a human shield.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Sal I guess now would be the time to tell you about my new perimeter detection/defense system. Features include IR cameras for detection and remote firing tasers for defense. I suggest using Dishwater as a human shield.

Im ok with that..should we get video for utube?

Kit R
10-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Im ok with that..should we get video for utube?

Oh yeah we should! It'll be just like the Gnome Dance at New Holland but better becuase he'll really be jerking around!

BTW no Sharon at Chambersburg next week. I'm bringing Don Chomas from Annpolis again instead. Don's really interested in getting into the comp world after organizing Naptown, so I'm happy to have him along. Plus he has lots of moss tea and red cups!

powerpig
10-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the encouragement I think? Not to start a new thread, but for chef's choice, what do they prefer? Dessert or something unusual?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the encouragement I think? Not to start a new thread, but for chef's choice, what do they prefer? Dessert or something unusual?

its actually apples, not quite a try chefs choice..so be creative. think apples, not sure what type but thats what they are giving us to cook.

mclancey
10-05-2011, 03:05 PM
What's this about apples?

Slamdunkpro
10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
think apples, not sure what type but thats what they are giving us to cook.

Road :twisted:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-05-2011, 03:46 PM
What's this about apples?

check your emails. the friday night "chefs choice" is apples ( I have been wrong before). but I belive that is who the sponsor for the catagory is.

powerpig
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Not to sound like a dumb**s, but I thought chef's choice was that, chef's choice. You mean they pick what we cook?

mclancey
10-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah, Great....Apples. I've been practicing my chef's choice for this comp for the past few weeks. It would have been nice to know that Chef's Choice isn't Chef's Choice a little earlier than 1 week before the comp.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
10-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Snow! Who said snow?!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
By the way...about the apples....I thought we had told everyone about the apples with the registration email we sent out when we got your app. Sorry for the confusion. But have fun with it. There will be about 8 different kinds of locally grown apples - Franklin Countyis the #1 apple producing county in PA and the 4th largest in the country!

OK, who cares, but the apple guys did give us $250.00 in prize money and a decent trophy!! WooHoo!

Anyway, my apologies if you didn't already know....

Kit R
10-05-2011, 08:32 PM
By the way...about the apples....I thought we had told everyone about the apples with the registration email we sent out when we got your app. Sorry for the confusion. But have fun with it. There will be about 8 different kinds of locally grown apples - Franklin Countyis the #1 apple producing county in PA and the 4th largest in the country!

OK, who cares, but the apple guys did give us $250.00 in prize money and a decent trophy!! WooHoo!

Cool. Apples will be a fun Chef's Choice challenge.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-05-2011, 08:52 PM

what place for the kcbs are you awarding? you had really unique awards last year, gonna do the same this year?

Big Ugly's BBQ
10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Snow! Who said snow?!

The one and only, that's who!!

Couple of thing folks, first and foremost, Eric runs a great comp, very cooker friendly, lots of firewood for camp fires, and showers. The site is “Red Cup” preferred, so if you do partake, use the cups, out of sight, out of mind.

Prepare for weather, last two comps had snow/rain, and wind/rain, definite "wait a minute" weather. Watch out for the Walnuts, they are everywhere!

Eric also has a great store and if you happen to missing something, he probably has it in the store. Its just a short drive from the comp site, if you need anything, get with him.

Apples are no problem, be creative. You can do something as simple as baked apple pie, to apple flambé' with JD. I think I would be partial to an Apple Crisp, or maybe Carmel Baked Apple, but that is just me.

Good luck to all, be safe and have a good time.

ClayHill
10-06-2011, 07:42 AM
I'd prefer a cold rain with driving winds..........much like year 1, that would be fantastic!!!

Kit R
10-06-2011, 09:01 AM
what place for the kcbs are you awarding? you had really unique awards last year, gonna do the same this year?

You wanting another wooden pig, I see........

Kit R
10-06-2011, 09:04 AM
The one and only, that's who!!

Couple of thing folks, first and foremost, Eric runs a great comp, very cooker friendly, lots of firewood for camp fires, and showers. The site is “Red Cup” preferred, so if you do partake, use the cups, out of sight, out of mind.

Prepare for weather, last two comps had snow/rain, and wind/rain, definite "wait a minute" weather. Watch out for the Walnuts, they are everywhere!

Eric also has a great store and if you happen to missing something, he probably has it in the store. Its just a short drive from the comp site, if you need anything, get with him.

Apples are no problem, be creative. You can do something as simple as baked apple pie, to apple flambé' with JD. I think I would be partial to an Apple Crisp, or maybe Carmel Baked Apple, but that is just me.

Good luck to all, be safe and have a good time.

If you're the "quiet 1/3" of 3 Eyz I guess that makes you George Harrison. Just as long as you're not Pete Best, all is well!

mclancey
10-06-2011, 10:08 AM
No big deal on the apples, I just wish I knew before I ordered all these key limes:tsk:

HawgNationBBQ
10-06-2011, 10:28 AM
HAWG Nation is in. Apple Sauce for us.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Yeah, yeah....try something new and get "spanked" on it for an entire year! Nice, big traditional trophies this year...ugh!

Paying down six places, increased money by $1,000 over last year....

MASON-DIXON BBQ
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
HAWG Nation is in. Apple Sauce for us.

As per KCBS regs, you can heat sauce up over a propane stove.....no cooker needed!

Pour it over some sliced tenderloin and call it a day!

Have fun. C U Friday!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I'd prefer a cold rain with driving winds..........much like year 1, that would be fantastic!!!

That's it, jinx us all! This is for Make a Wish you know! Poor freezing wish kids trying to push their wheelchairs in the mud.....that's nice Jonathan, really nice!:thumb:

Chris, thanks for your kind words....but last year it was 70 degrees and sunny with slight warm breezes out of the south....OK, that's how I remember it, but seriously it was 70 degrees and sunny last year. 2009 - now that was a bloody mess......

MASON-DIXON BBQ
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Seriously.....think good weather

Big Ugly's BBQ
10-06-2011, 02:13 PM
OK, that's how I remember it, but seriously it was 70 degrees and sunny last year. 2009 - now that was a bloody mess......

It was 70 and sunny last year, Saturday afternoon..............

Anybody can cook in good weather, just like to have that as another challenge, that's all..... Kinda like Golf, anybody can play in the fairway, but it take someone special to play in the rough!! But for Make a Wish, I hope for really good weather.........on Saturday!

Chipper
10-06-2011, 03:27 PM
As per KCBS regs, you can heat sauce up over a propane stove.....no cooker needed!

Pour it over some sliced tenderloin and call it a day!

Have fun. C U Friday!

Just to be clear, we can do the apple thing on our own platter/plate/vessel?
And we are hoping for wind and snow for Friday only?

mclancey
10-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Just to be clear, we can do the apple thing on our own platter/plate/vessel?
And we are hoping for wind and snow for Friday only?

From yesterday's email I believe that's correct.

"The entry will be submitted in a numbered container provided by contest organizer, a 9" x 9" standard box or a container of contestant’s choice, properly marked with the contestant’s assigned number."

Out of the 6 comps I did this year, I have yet to see a comp without rain. I would like to know what it's like.

Goddahavit
10-06-2011, 05:26 PM
From yesterday's email I believe that's correct.

"The entry will be submitted in a numbered container provided by contest organizer, a 9" x 9" standard box or a container of contestant’s choice, properly marked with the contestant’s assigned number."

Out of the 6 comps I did this year, I have yet to see a comp without rain. I would like to know what it's like.

your going to miss it this weekend at harrisburg.......:laugh:

mclancey
10-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I know. You guys are going to have a nice weekend. Good Luck Eric.

Chipper
10-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Looks like it's going to be a bit breezy Saturday. But otherwise, looks like a fine day. Safe travels to all.

walrus79
10-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Brown Liquor BBQ is excited to be there for just our second comp. Hope to meet and mingle with a lot of folks! We always have lots of brown "koolaid" on hand, stop by for a red cup!

ClayHill
10-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Looks like it's going to be a bit breezy Saturday. But otherwise, looks like a fine day. Safe travels to all.

Fun Fun....16mph sustained, directly from the west with gust up 42, adjust cookers accordinly and tie those ez-up's down ....tight:heh:

powerpig
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
This will be my first comp and I have a question: Are the spaces on grass or dirt? I was wondering if I would be able to stake my EZ Up. Thanks

ClayHill
10-13-2011, 05:12 PM
This will be my first comp and I have a question: Are the spaces on grass or dirt? I was wondering if I would be able to stake my EZ Up. Thanks

Well......none of the spaces are paved, depending on where Eric puts you, it could be grass or crushed stone(with a solid bottom) so you could probabaly get stakes in the ground anywhere there isnt limestone near the surface. If in doubt, just bring some buckets(to put water in) and some bungees to hold you ezup down.

watg?
10-15-2011, 09:05 PM
any word?