PDA

View Full Version : Heading to NC, Raleigh to New Bern best bbq to be had?

mcoupe
10-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for any input you can give. I was thinking Wilburs in Roanoake..any better? I've been to the Pit, YUM! Want to try butts, and ribs...maybe some burnt ends :-D. Going to the Mullet festival to boot! Should be a foodtastic time!

Gore
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
There are a few suggestions here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116475

Good luck in finding any burnt ends -- I assume you were joking. :laugh:
I think the closest you'll get is the chopped point at Original Q-Shack. I recommend it, but it is NOT NC-style BBQ. Bluegrass music on Wednesday evenings too.
If bbq.tom picks this up, I'm sure he'll recommend a few places on the way to New Bern.

mcoupe
10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
There are a few suggestions here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116475

Good luck in finding any burnt ends -- I assume you were joking. :laugh:
I think the closest you'll get is the chopped point at Original Q-Shack. I recommend it, but it is NOT NC-style BBQ. Bluegrass music on Wednesday evenings too.
If bbq.tom picks this up, I'm sure he'll recommend a few places on the way to New Bern.

Thanks! I did do a brief yet thorough search in the archives, thanks much!

smokeyw
10-04-2011, 07:23 AM
There is a little hole in the wall joint in Greenville NC called B's Barbecue that has a great reputation. It is in an old block building and not fancy at all. They typically sell out by 1:00 or 2:00 PM so you would need to get there early. It is about an hour drive fron New Bern.
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/bs_bbq_large.html

bluetang
10-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Wilbers in Goldsboro is real good. Never heard of Wilbers in Roanoke though. There is Ralph's in Roanoke Rapids.

Cook
10-04-2011, 08:30 AM
If you're looking for regional bbq, you will not find any butts or ribs in the area you're traveling. You'll have to look for "national" bbq places for that.

What you WILL find is whole hog bbq as well as some chicken.

On your direct route I would suggest Wilbur's in Goldsboro. Off your direct path, but not a HUGE detour, would be B's BBQ in Greenville as well as Skylight Inn in Ayden. I would suggest both B's & the Skylight...although they are only about a half hour from each other...go hungry! LOL

Ride by B's (EARLY, as already suggested) and get a piece of chicken and bbq sandwich to split on the ride to Ayden. A half hour later stop off by the Skylight Inn and get a small tray of barbecue. Two small meals in less than an hour sounds just about right. Plus you'll hit two of the "big dogs" of Eastern North Carolina barbecue...actually, the two best there are anywhere.

Have a nice trip.

Cook
10-04-2011, 08:35 AM
PS...if you're gonna be in Swansboro for any length of time, you could head just to just the other side of Jacksonville and hit Oakwood BBQ off of Catherine Lake. Last time I was there it was only a Thurs-Sat business. Go during lunch.

Other than that I would not go to any bbq place in, or east, of New Bern. There is a serious lack of barbecue along the coast..."good" barbecue that is.

Have some fried and/or charcoal mullet for me.

NCGrimbo
10-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Besides the Pit in Raleigh, there's Clyde Coopers http://www.clydecoopersbbq.com/prosite/ in downtown. Those would be the two I'd recommend for Raleigh. Then I'd suggest Wilber's in Goldsboro. Beyond thoses three, there's not much that I'm aware of that would be worth going to on your trip down US70 to the coast from Raleigh.

T-Man
10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6171/6211216524_17ba704993.jpg

I went to Oak Wood on a wed. last year , so I did not get to try it , may be next time .
Like everyone one else said ..Wilbur's and the Skylight

T-Man
10-04-2011, 09:38 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5308222406_f29d86bfd0.jpg

As a last resort , you can try Smithfield's it is a local chain bbq joint... the fried chicken is not to bad too...

Still Smokin
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
You have to do Pete Jone's Skylight in Ayden, it is 100 mile BBQ, but get there early, when they run out, they close.

harripooner
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
If you don't mind taking your BBQ trek a little bit further down highway 70 there is a place in Beaufort called Rolands BBQ. When I lived in NC i didn't know a whole lot about BBQ, but since leaving I realize I was spoiled. Rolands is East Carolina style with no sweet sauces, but it is killer. You could even add a nice shrimp or oyster po' boy to the mix. This is the address from yelp
Roland's BBQ1507 Live Oak St
Beaufort, NC 28516

Cook
10-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Imma have to disagree with you on this harripooner. I've been going to Beaufort/MHC/Atlantic Beach for going on thirty years (eastern NC native & lived 15 minutes east of Beaufort for six years before moving to the lowcountry) and have to say that Roland's is one of the worst places for bbq in eastern NC. I'm sorry to say that seeing as how you like it, but they truly suck in my opinion. Again, my apologies.

mcoupe
10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Wilbers in Goldsboro is real good. Never heard of Wilbers in Roanoke though. There is Ralph's in Roanoke Rapids.

Thats the one! That ones deffinitely on the to do list. Thanks much!

mcoupe
10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey, you guys rock. Thanks for all the input. So I plan on hitting Wilbers on the way down, and B's and Skylight on the way back. I'll check out how far to jacksonville, and see about Oakwood. I'll need to get some fishing in too! Thanks again

jgbmgb
10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Don't forget Bill's BBQ and Parkers BBQ in Wilson. I like Parkers best but Bills has a fresh pit cooked whole hog every day on their buffet. Lived here all my life and raised on Eastern NC BBQ, therefore if it were me I would pick B's BBQ in Greenville

See here: B's BBQ - Greenville, NC on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/10250860)

mcoupe
10-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Hey , I found this online too. Just incase someone down the road asks the same question....

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

Cook
10-04-2011, 04:36 PM
If I were on a trip, I'd personally focus on traditional wood coal fired bbq. Bill's, Parker's, and the aforementioned Roland's do not fall into that category. (although when traveling to DC I do swing off I95 at Wilson to get me a small dark combination at Parker's...grew up 15 minutes from there)

mcoupe
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
If I were on a trip, I'd personally focus on traditional wood coal fired bbq. Bill's, Parker's, and the aforementioned Roland's do not fall into that category. (although when traveling to DC I do swing off I95 at Wilson to get me a small dark combination at Parker's...grew up 15 minutes from there)

Arent B's , Wilbers, and skylight all traditional wood and coal pits? I may plan on a run to oakwood while I'm hanging out at the coast as well. Any sauces and rubs you'd suggest? I plan on sending myself a package of goods back west. Thanks again for your advice!

bluetang
10-04-2011, 07:59 PM
If you can get over to Pikeville, a few miles from Goldsboro, stop in the Nuhunta Pork Center. The sell some mighty fine bbq in 1 lb go packs( cold), also they sell a spice pack for adding to apple cider vinegar called Charlie Mills Famous BBQ Sauce Mix, it is good!

Cook
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Arent B's , Wilbers, and skylight all traditional wood and coal pits? I may plan on a run to oakwood while I'm hanging out at the coast as well.

Yes, the three you listed all cook over wood coals. Oakwood also cooks in this traditional method.

Any sauces and rubs you'd suggest? I plan on sending myself a package of goods back west.

You won't find any rubs. That seasoning term isn't used in North Carolina. What you'll see used for seasoning is only salt and a little sauce. There are no rubs or secret seasonings. As for sauce, you can pick up some Scott's bbq sauce in many different grocery stores in the areas you'll be in.

Have a great trip!

Cook
10-05-2011, 10:22 AM
If you can get over to Pikeville, a few miles from Goldsboro, stop in the Nuhunta Pork Center. The sell some mighty fine bbq in 1 lb go packs( cold), also they sell a spice pack for adding to apple cider vinegar called Charlie Mills Famous BBQ Sauce Mix, it is good!

Nahunta Pork Center is worth a "look" if you're not in a big hurry. It's all pork, all day. They are basically a slaughter house with a retail counter. Their retail counter has the distinction of being the country's largest pork display. It is a sight to behold. LOL

PS...I grew up with a Pikeville address.

Stoke&Smoke
10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I used to go to the RTP area fairly frequently. It isn't BBQ, but I would highly recommend a trip to the Magnolia Grill in Durham if you have time. You won't regret it!

bbq.tom
10-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Just to chime in and add my $0.02 - I agree with most of the previous posts on where to stop if given the chance, but will go ahead anyway and list my five top spots in the areas you mentioned you will be:
- Skyline Inn in Ayden (the "capitol" in the east - just look at the building)
- Parkers in Wilson
- Rolands in Beaufort (I agree with harripooner)
- Adam's Roadside BBQ just west of Goldsboro on Hwy 70 (better than Wilburs IMHO)
- Clyde Coopers in Raleigh

If you have the opportunity to try a "Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ" ANYWHERE I'd try it! It is a chain, but really good representation of "Eastern NC" barbecue flavor (even if not cooked over wood coals).

Definitely let us all know where you ended up and how you liked them!!!
Good luck and safe travels!!!
ENJOY!!!

mcoupe
10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Okay, let me preface this by saying i hope not to offend anyone. So we tried Wilbers first. I went into the pits, and talked to the guys there. Explained to them what i was up to, lol they thought i was crazy I'm sure. I asked them whose bbq they liked best, and they said Kings! We had a choppedork sandwich there, picked up some chicken and pork for the family. I thought the sandwich there was pretty good! They used oakwood to cook with.
Next, we tried Kings. Home of the pig in a pup...chopped pork in a hushpuppy bun. Their chopped pork was good, but a little mushy. I chalked this up to cooking it in an oven. They didnt use wood or coal, they cooked in ovens.
Didnt get to Rolands, but did have shrimp burgers at big oak drive in. YUM! A little bit better than El's dare i say it! Also lunch at the Rudy Duck, flounder rueben with shrimp mac n cheese, and it was awesome.
On the way back, we hit the big boys, Skylight, and B's. B's pork was good, but the joint was just scurry! Skylight was the favorite, the pieces of skin in the chopped sandwich and the flavor just set it apart. Great texture, and the pepper sauce was a perfect addition.
Anyways, thanks for all your input! I came home with a new knowledge of chopped/pulled pork. Next time i cook, i plan on doing a Butt and a picnic and chopping them together...I know its not the whole pig, but its as close as i can get.