PDA

View Full Version : Knoxville Area Q

Chris_R
09-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Just got back from a 6 week stay in Knoxville, TN (or more specifically Alcoa, TN) Only got to hit up a handfull of BBQ places.

The first and hands down best was Sweet P's. The place that was on the Man V Food show. I loved this little joint, and highly recommend checking it out to anyone thats in the area. I ate there 3 different times, and had their "famous" bbq burrito, the ribs, some brisket, and some wings. All were very good!

The next place I was told to check out was Corky's in Gatlinburg. This may have been hands down the worst Q I've had in a long time. It's pretty sad when you get a plate of chicken, ribs, and brisket and the french fries are the best thing on the plate. The brisket alone was the worst I've EVER had, and the ribs werent the worst ever but I've had better ribs at Chili's and buffalo wild wings :roll:

The other place I ate was not by my own choice. It was called Buddy's BBQ. It was some kind of chain joint that seemed to be kind of like a fast food BBQ place. I was just along for the ride and thats where we stopped. Nowhere I'd ever go back to, but the ribs were better than Corky's :heh:

BTW, the best food I had overall while in that area was a little chinese place called Ming Tree.

gtr
09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
I grew up in Knoxville & go back occasionally. Didn't know about Sweet P's - I'll have to check that out. I ate at a place last year called Pup's Pit that I really liked. There's a place called Ott's that my dad really likes - I used to eat there as a young 'un but don't remember much about it.

I used to eat Buddy's a lot - not 'cause it was great 'cue, but because it was better than the other fast food options - never got the ribs though, just the PP sammiches - at the time I really liked 'em. Corky's in Gatlinburg is farking wretched. I used to work at Calhoun's by the river a couple decades ago - from what I understand it's slipped since then.

Knoxville is a beautiful place and the folks are great - I'm glad I'm from there & wish I could go back more. Fark. Now I'm homesick.

Chris_R
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
the Knoxville area was a very nice area. Reminded me a lot of the Branson, MO area I grew up in. Pretty much the same except with slightly bigger hills haha

deguerre
09-28-2011, 11:51 AM
If you ever get back, make a side trip (about an hour and a half:shocked:) To Bristol and check out Blue Circle Hamburgers.

gtr
09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
+1 on Blue Circle! Also fantastic breakfast there - one of the most perfectly cooked omelets I've ever had - with tater tots - I think for less than 5 bucks. :clap2:

Tennessee Jed
10-23-2011, 09:20 PM
10-4 on Buddy's. It is what it is... fast food bbq. Up until a few months ago there was a decent place in West Knox called Jim-n-Nicks. Mgmt problems put them out though. Sweet P's is probably one of the better sit down bbq places in the greater Knoxville area. But if you ever get back this way check out Dead End BBQ over on Sutherland. The guys who run it were competition cookers in a past life. Their stuff is as close to competition food as you'll get in a sit down joint. And if you're going as far as Bristol pay a visit to the Profitt Family at Ridgewood BBQ in Bluff City... a little hard to find but well worth the drive!