PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

Brauma
05-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Hey all. I signed up in the Yahoo group the other day and joined this group last night. My name is Mark and I live in Goochland, VA. I recently aquired a very used Bandera (freebie) and it is in relatively bad shape. I'm going at it with a wire wheel and a welder replacing metal here and there - mainly around the smoke hole. I'll make the baffle mod while I have the unit apart. I also plan to make the rebar grate while I have the welder out.

This is my first smoker ever and I'm really eager to get started. All of my Q'ing experience has been with my trusty old Webber kettle and Kingsford coals. I have since learned that I have only been grilling, not Q'ing. So, I'm ready to graduate to the level of true Q'ing. I have an old Sunbeam gas grill but I have always considered that cheat grilling. It is a time saver though.

Thanks for having me and I look forward to learning how to Q. If nothing else, all of my upcoming Q'ing sessions will be a text book example of a good reason to drink beer!

jgh1204
05-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Welcome.

Do not be ashamed of your gas appliances. Unless you are digging a hole and chopping firewood, we all cheat to some degree.

dapittboss
05-06-2005, 12:38 AM
If nothing else, all of my upcoming Q'ing sessions will be a text book example of a good reason to drink beer!

There is always a good reason to drink beer!

Welcome aboard,
John

BBQchef33
05-06-2005, 12:56 AM
Weber kettle can turn out great Q too. Ya had the tool all along.!!!! 15-20 briquettes on each side with a roast in the middle and you'll be amazed.! Welcome to our group and dont give up on that kettle, alot of us still use it for small stuff.

Arlin_MacRae
05-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Welcome, brother Mark.
Sounds like you've got a good handle on things already - and it will only get better!

Arlin

Solidkick
05-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey!! Welcome My new brother!!

We're here for you when you need us....cooking wise........modification wise.......and beer drinking wise........ :mrgreen:

spicewine
05-06-2005, 09:03 AM
We've been Gooched!!! Welcome Brother. Enjoy the site.

icemn62
05-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the fray, grab a cold one, this is a good reason to drink a beer.

BrooklynQ
05-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Welcome. And Phil's right - the Weber Kettle is an amazing piece of equipment. I use mine all the time.

Jorge
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the group. If I recall another member has made a grate using rebar, so I wouldn't be surprised if you hear from him to fill you in on his experience etc.... Plenty of folks here that are generous with their experience and knowledge. And, if you get the time take some pics of the project, I'd like to see the restoration.

dapittboss
05-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Welcome. And Phil's right - the Weber Kettle is an amazing piece of equipment. I use mine all the time.

I gotta add mine, too, as these guys said, now matter how many bbq's I go through, my Webber Kettle stil gets used and never gets recycled.

Trout_man22
05-06-2005, 10:35 AM
I live in Goochland, VA.

Welcome,

I work in Ashland so if you need any help just let me know.

parrothead
05-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Welcome!

Bill-Chicago
05-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Glad you found the site!

frognot
05-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Welcome aboard, Bro Brauma!

Neil
05-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Wecome aboard Brauma, enjoy what you learn and share what you know, it's what we do.

Brauma
05-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Wow, I've got goosebumps. As Jimmy Buffett said (I should say sang) "I have found me a home". I see we have a Parrott head aboard and a neighbor up in Ashland. I'm happy to be here and ready to get the fires going.

My plans are to get the metal work done by the end of the wknd and have my first test Q'ing session next wknd. We have a big "Spring Session" party planned for the wknd of the 21st (notice it's not the wknd of the Richmond race) so I hope to have at least one practice run under my belt before then because ready or not, ribs will be cooked in this Bandera that wknd. Trout man, if you promise me you're not and ax murderer I'll extend an invite to you.

Wish me luck guys. I will be doing a lot of reading on the forum for smoking tips and I know with your support I'll be one of the big dogs soon.

jeffsasmokin
05-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Welcome aboard, Mark! Saw ya at the yahoo site, glad you found this one as well! Be sure to let us see the finished product when you're done!

Jeff_in_KC
05-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Welcome Mark! You've found a great place!

Jeff

The_Kapn
05-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Welcome to our little corner of the world.
Bit Looney sometimes--but it is home to us.
I did a rebar grate and there are two reports in the files section where I and KC tested versions of it.
I used 1/4" spacing. I was stick burning at the time and that worked great for the fine dust that wood produces for ash.
But, for Kingsford, it is too close together. The thick ash hangs on the grate and has to be scrapped down or it blocks airflow.
Doing it again--I would go 3/8' minimum and probably 1/2" on the spacing.
I will amend those files someday.

Welcome aboard!

TIM

Trout_man22
05-08-2005, 01:15 PM
My plans are to get the metal work done by the end of the wknd and have my first test Q'ing session next wknd. We have a big "Spring Session" party planned for the wknd of the 21st (notice it's not the wknd of the Richmond race) so I hope to have at least one practice run under my belt before then because ready or not, ribs will be cooked in this Bandera that wknd. Trout man, if you promise me you're not and ax murderer I'll extend an invite to you.
I guess I can't come then :roll:

I'll PM you and let you know

Trout

jt
05-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Welcome!