PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Things I Will Need?

Shiz-Nit
09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Okay can anyone give me an idea what I will need for my 1st comp for example;
Fire extinguisher – or is this not required if so how many pound #
Water hose – will a 50 ft be okay?
Or is there a basic check off sheet to go by somewhere?
One week away and we leave out.

Jason TQ
09-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Do a search in the Google search on the forum for "Competition Checklist" and you will find lots of posts with people sharing theirs. Most items overlap, but each has certain items others don't that you may want. That what I did when I started this year.

Though I will add certain things like extension cord and hose I would say bring enough length as some times the water electric hookup is further away. 50ft of either has covered us each time.

Lake Dogs
09-14-2011, 04:44 PM
6 $50's for each entry.

No, seriously, water, electricity, etc. is different at every competition. You'll want to ask your organizer.

The fire extinguisher is required at most comps. Some dont dictate size, but some require rather large ones. I'd get that mid-large one.

You may need a hand sanitizer around. You will need water. Most comps require that you have some sanitizing system; can be a bucket of water with a cap of bleach in it...

Matt_A
09-14-2011, 05:07 PM
KCBS rules require a fire extinguisher at each cooking site.
"4) Contestants shall provide all needed equipment, supplies
and electricity, except as arranged for in advance. Contestants
must adhere to all electrical, fire and other codes. A fire
extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices."

Pack-A-Smokes
09-15-2011, 12:26 AM
There have been times 50' hose has been enough and times I needed 100'. A hose splitter is great to have as some comps have three or four teams using the same supply but no splitter. A hammer, screwdriver, pliers, bungee cords are things I could not live without.
We carry a 5lb extinguisher and that seemed to be good with the only guy we had ask us if we had one.
Linke Fnbish said, do a search and you will find some nice list. I have one some where, but dang I don't know where it is at.

comfrank
09-15-2011, 02:45 PM
The KCBS reps around here check for the following things (in addition to legal cuts of meat): thermometer, bleach, fire extinguisher, three-bins for wash/rinse/sanitize, and latex or vinyl gloves. I've always wondered about the gloves, because there's nothing in the rules about that, but I always have them anyway, so no sweat for me.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Ron_L
09-15-2011, 03:26 PM
I carry two 50' drinking-water-safe hoses, two splitters and a twist-nozzle. I also have a rolling water container in case I can't tap into a hose anywhere.

I also carry the following extension cords... 100', 50', 25', 15' and a 25' with an electrical box on the end with two switched outlets. The 25's and 15 are for around my site (lights, cookers, etc.). All are 12ga outdoor rated and also cold weather rated. Please don't try to save money and use 14 or even 16ga cords. They will have too much voltage drop and can cause issues with the GFI outlets that are usually used on the power distribution boxes at competitions. Also, get cold weather rated cords. They will remain flexible at any temperature and will be much easier to handle. I also carry two heavy duty power splitters (one plug and 3 receptacles).

RangerJ
09-16-2011, 06:37 AM
And yes, that sound you hear is the cash register. When starting out its a very expensive hobby. Not to say I've seen a decrease in my expenditures, just not out looking for items other than meat, fuel and hooch before each competition.

Craigslist will become your daily search for things you might need and you can always cannabilize from other household things. I decided all the green all weather extension cords and splitters that were used for the christmas lights were now part of the competition supplies, no need for them to only be used once a year.

All that being said, at some point you will probably realize that you only need items X,Y and Z and cut back on your inventory. I used to take all the knives in the kitchen, then I purchased a nice set a comp class I took, now I can say I only use 3 knives.

Be sure and search for the lists on here they are a great place to start and if you get there and don't have something, don't be afraid to ask, we have all been there!

Good luck on you competition.

CBQ
09-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Ask the organizers what to bring, and bring twice as much.

I have 100' of hose and about 450' of power cables, half of it 10 gauge.

I think your five pound extinguisher is too small. I used to have one, and got through a lot of inspections with it, but you will hit the odd contest where it won't pass muster. I would go to at least a 10. Also, if it is more than 5 years old, replace it. Many states require them to be tested and certified when more than 5 years old. Contests that have the fire deparment as sponsors or participants seem to be willing to let the teams slide by a little easier. :becky:

kerryk
09-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Lots of COOLER space...
Lots of ICE to begin with.

I bring two EZ-UP shelters with wind walls and screen walls
Two 8' Poly Tables and a 6' folding table
Lights
Power Strip with LONG cord
FAN
I also have a propane water heater and a Scrub sink that I bring.
This may change.
I use chimneys and a turkey frier to start my coals
Charcoal (Lump)
Wood (Hickory Stick)
I Bring a 100' hose and a Y fitting with valves but at my last contest
Someone disconnected my hose and stole the fitting.
So I will probably switch to something else.
Several officials had been by not one mentioned a problem so I don't think it was them. Just saying... be prepared to lose stuff this way.
I have two light sources a set of military 4' Bruce Lights and Rope Light.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/AFSOC/DSC_3928.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/AFSOC/DSC_3868.jpg
My setup is simple really

Lazybones
09-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Bring extra rope for the ez-ups, an extra case of bottled water for yourself. And an extra 50' of water hose. Did my first comp 2 weeks ago and those were the biggest things I forgot. Luckily I was close to the house so I was able to run back home. RangerJ was a huge help to me and taught me a lot, very thankful I ended up cooking next to him. When he says you can hear the cash register, that's the truth.