PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. St. Louis River Rub Oct. 7th - 8th $28,000 pot (upgraded site size and location)

stan
09-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Everyone,

Just to let you know the St. Louis River Rub is moving to a secure parking lot just south of Busch Stadium. With the change there is more space so the organizer has upgraded sites.

If you paid the $300 for a 20x20 you are upgraded to a 20x30 now. And if you paid $400 for a 20x30 you are upgraded to a 20x40. We are still trying to fill up to 60 spots. We have 33 teams and a lot of talk from 4-5 more.

You can get the information on their website to sign up and all the great pay out information! (www.stlriverrub.com) Come out and enjoy the great weather and payout at the first ever sanctioned contest in St. Louis! Don't forget to enter the calcutta for $25!

So far these are the teams signed up!

Squealers Award Winning BBQ
Bubba Joes BBQ
Goin' Hog'n
Let's Get Basted
Pigs Gone Wild BBQ *
Shake n' Bake BBQ
Rippel Q
Smokin' T's
KC Can Crew *
The Smoking Hills *
4 Smokin Butts
B&B BBQ and Catering *
A Pigs Worst Nightmare *
The Q Factor
Belly Up Barbecue *
Whiskey Women and WIBS *
Hwy 61 Roadhouse & Kitchen *
Serious Que & Pitfire Crew
Muchin Hogs' @ The Hilton *
Smokin Brothers
Pelley Envy
TheSlabs.com *
Blues Hog Barbecue Company
Boss Hawg BBQ
Souther Home Boyz
McFrankenboo BBQ
Pork Pistols BBQ
Fat Side Down
Buffalo's BBQ
Blazin' Blues *
The Mascoutah Smokemasters
TrueQue
Smelly Butts BBQ

*denotes those teams in the calcuta

musicmanryann
09-12-2011, 02:01 PM
It's on our list. Just need to send in the check. Now, if the organizer can work on getting the Cardinals into the playoffs and have a homegame scheduled Saturday night, that would be even better! :wink::becky: Go Redbirds!!!

stan
09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I continue to hear more teams saying they are planning on attending! I hope we see more teams sign up! Great list of teams!

Ken V
09-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Just put mine in the mail today.

trueque
09-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Ready for this one. It will be my last scheduled comp for the season!

stan
09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
If the Cards keep playing well they could be home that weekend right next to where we are! Octoberfest is that weekend in Soulard and the Blues play at home that Saturday nite. A lot going that wekend!

stan
09-27-2011, 02:44 PM
We have added 11 more teams to the mix. We are up to 44 teams. Rumor has it that the God Father of BBQ himself maybe competing! Check back to see if it is true!

RoadKillBBQ
Outlaw Hawgs BBQ
Baby Got Back BBQ
Big Log BBQ
Renaissauce Cowboy *
D2 BBQ
Zou Crew BBQ *
Q Live Crew
Missouri Shark Fisherman's Club
Grilla Maniacs
Nickle Boys BBQ

stlgreg
09-27-2011, 06:47 PM
the Godfather is now confirmed.
Dueces Wild is also coming.

4 smokin butts
09-27-2011, 09:20 PM
rumer has it trigg may be visiting the arch that weekend.......

jbrink01
09-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Or he may be going out to dinner.........

Southern Home Boy
09-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Can't wait. I may be doing this one solo, but I'm still psyched. Great lookin' line up of teams.

nthole
09-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Uhhh...so now that the Cardinals are in... Game 5 (if necessary) is scheduled for Friday night. I can't imagine they aren't going to want their parking lot!!!

Nevermind...Duh, that 5th game would be back in Philly, not in St. Louis.

beam boys bbq
09-29-2011, 03:23 PM
talked to kurt on wed johnney trig is in now in for this year --- and next year jimmey buffet at the main stage for next year :clap2:

stlgreg
10-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Uhhh...so now that the Cardinals are in... Game 5 (if necessary) is scheduled for Friday night. I can't imagine they aren't going to want their parking lot!!!

Nevermind...Duh, that 5th game would be back in Philly, not in St. Louis.

it wouldnt have mattered the parking lot is ours.

Southern Home Boy
10-09-2011, 01:19 PM
talked to kurt on wed johnney trig is in now in for this year --- and next year jimmey buffet at the main stage for next year :clap2:

That would IF there's a next year. After this one, I sincerely doubt anyone will ever sign up for one of his contests again.

Cokyjara
10-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I judged this event and we were all assembling when the KCBS rep got the call that the organizer didn't have the cash! Then they couldn't find the organizer anywhere before the judging began. How much of the $28,000 did they not have? Did the organizer ever show up again??:shocked:

quarters69
10-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Herd he was 9k short. And really pissed everybody off that was there. I think there's lot more to this story. Hopefully it will come out.

Cokyjara
10-09-2011, 07:17 PM
That still would be a really nice payout, especially for a first year event! I understand the frustration. I hope this story has a happy ending with everybody understanding what really happened. BBQ is about having fun and competing to beat the next guy, there didn't seem to be much of that a couple hours before turn in.

stlgreg
10-09-2011, 09:49 PM
18,400 of the 28,000 was paid out.

Mrs. McFrankenboo
10-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Will the rest of it be paid out??

stlgreg
10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Will the rest of it be paid out??

I wish i knew. I think he put in his statement yesterday that he would pay it out in 30 days. We will have to see I guess.

GrillinFool
10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I was there trying to drum up teams for my contest next week and heard more than once from guys competing that it was the "Last Annual St. Louis River Rub."

I hope they get it squared away and it goes off next year with Jimmy Buffet. It needed foot traffic and I saw little to none. There were all kinds of vendors with tents set up that were bored to tears as there just wasn't anyone there except for the teams. A headliner like Buffet would be good for that. It needed a lot more prize money, obviously. It needed more contestants. The location is great, right by the stadium, but they missed on some execution...

Jorge
10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I was there trying to drum up teams for my contest next week and heard more than once from guys competing that it was the "Last Annual St. Louis River Rub."

I hope they get it squared away and it goes off next year with Jimmy Buffet. It needed foot traffic and I saw little to none. There were all kinds of vendors with tents set up that were bored to tears as there just wasn't anyone there except for the teams. A headliner like Buffet would be good for that. It needed a lot more prize money, obviously. It needed more contestants. The location is great, right by the stadium, but they missed on some execution...

That's a great idea, but Buffet is a hard 'get' or has been in the past. I'll believe that one when I see it.

Matt_A
10-10-2011, 10:33 AM
That's a great idea, but Buffet is a hard 'get' or has been in the past. I'll believe that one when I see it.
Especially after this fiasco...

jbrink01
10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
C'mon, really? Buffet? They couldn't get $28,000 together much less the $200,000 Buffet would need.

GrillinFool
10-10-2011, 11:09 AM
C'mon, really? Buffet? They couldn't get $28,000 together much less the $200,000 Buffet would need.

Maybe Buffet really likes BBQ?

Brewmaster
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Maybe they meant a Breakfast Buffet.

Southern Home Boy
10-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Agreed. I'll have a hard time believing anything from this particular organizer after this.

To be fair, though, from a competitor's standpoint, they really tried to make it nice. The site sizes were upgraded and they had a lot of volunteers who were always willing to fetch water and ice for the teams.

Aside from the money thing, there was - from what I could see anyway - only a minor issue with the electric and one of the volunteers' 5-6 yr. old daughter tried to drive one of the golf carts and ended up running into one of the competitor's truck.

I think the organizer just tried to do too much and overextended themselves. That and a lack of marketing probably doomed this event.

The big lesson here, I think, is start small, gain the momentum and make sure you can do what you promise you'll do.

Otherwise you'll end up like this organizer: slipping out the back door and watching your back the whole way.

Slamdunkpro
10-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Buffet is $800,000

Pappy
10-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I remember hearing about this event. I was so disappointed with the STL Rib America, that I didn't want to go to this one.

Rib Anerica cost us a small fortune for that. If I remenber, it cost the 4 of us $110 to get in and have 4 half slab plate lunchs with 4 - 12oz cans of soda. That was the last time for me.

Maybe others felt the same way?

stlgreg
10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Maybe Buffet really likes BBQ?

I really thought buffet was just a joke started here

Cokyjara
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
I wonder what the future of this event would be and how the teams would of felt if the event had only advertised the $18,400 payout? Still good money. I wonder if all the teams would of still came for $18,400????? I would guess this thing could of been a real positive instead of a negative if more realistic numbers would of been advertised for payout. I would expect a little change in KCBS rules and procedures to insure funds are really available. Sounds like this guy could of just faked having the money longer since many contests take weeks to finally mail checks.

It sounds like letting this info go until after turn-ins would of been better in the long run. The meeting and distraction messed up some time lines, thus affecting quality of meat. KCBS wanted to not sit on the info so it didn't look like they had concealed anything after the fact. Bad situation for all involved.

stlgreg
10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I wonder what the future of this event would be and how the teams would of felt if the event had only advertised the $18,400 payout? Still good money. I wonder if all the teams would of still came for $18,400????? I would guess this thing could of been a real positive instead of a negative if more realistic numbers would of been advertised for payout. I would expect a little change in KCBS rules and procedures to insure funds are really available. Sounds like this guy could of just faked having the money longer since many contests take weeks to finally mail checks.

It sounds like letting this info go until after turn-ins would of been better in the long run. The meeting and distraction messed up some time lines, thus affecting quality of meat. KCBS wanted to not sit on the info so it didn't look like they had concealed anything after the fact. Bad situation for all involved.

My understanding is the KCBS BOD said the meeting had to take place to give any team a chance to opt out (which one team did take) - We can sit here and talk about someone else shoulda coulda woulda but it doesnt matter.

nthole
10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
My understanding is the KCBS BOD said the meeting had to take place to give any team a chance to opt out (which one team did take) - We can sit here and talk about someone else shoulda coulda woulda but it doesnt matter.

Not that it probably matters, but the team that dropped didn't do so because of what was happening. They did so because they were planning to cook hot and fast and something went wrong with their smoker and it burned up all their fuel in the middle of the night. They never even had ribs or chicken on. They were actually packed up before the meeting happened, so they just lucked out that they were able to get their $$$ back.

stlgreg
10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Not that it probably matters, but the team that dropped didn't do so because of what was happening. They did so because they were planning to cook hot and fast and something went wrong with their smoker and it burned up all their fuel in the middle of the night. They never even had ribs or chicken on. They were actually packed up before the meeting happened, so they just lucked out that they were able to get their $$$ back.

Thanks Neil, I figured it had to be something like that but i didnt know the facts, I just knew one team took them up on the offer to leave.

Quite lucky for them.

jbrink01
10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Buffet is $800,000

I was just guessing at the 200k. 800k is believable. I know Sammy Hagar is $150k in St. Louis. Kurt did actually suggest Buffett to me for 2012 at the AR.....:shock:

Plowboy
10-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Do you realize the security needed just for the teams with tens of thousands of buffet fans running around? I mean imagine the munchies those parrotheads are going to have! Talk about stealing briskets!

Where's the g'damn salt?

Just Pulin' Pork
10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I was just guessing at the 200k. 800k is believable. I know Sammy Hagar is $150k in St. Louis. Kurt did actually suggest Buffett to me for 2012 at the AR.....:shock:

I heard the same thing at Herman! Having seen Buffett 9 times in concert I can honestly say that I have never seen him play at a BBQ contest! I have seen him at the MGM Grand, Sandstone, and 7 times at Tinley park in Chicago!

stlgreg
10-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Do you realize the security needed just for the teams with tens of thousands of buffet fans running around? I mean imagine the munchies those parrotheads are going to have! Talk about stealing briskets!

Where's the g'damn salt?

I saw him this year here in STL. It was sold out. My lawn seats were like 35 each. I think the place holds 18000 people. Thats 630,000 without figuring in the expensive seats.

sprinter
10-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Yeah Greg, Neil is right about the guy who opted out. His space was directly behind us and sometime during the night he ran out of wood. He was trying to get the cooker hot with charcoal but it was not working. We talked a bit in the morning and he was really upset with himself. He and his son were there cooking together so he did get some quality family time but he was upset about the cooking. My guess is that if he HAD gotten the product cooked he would have turned it in, but by luck he is getting his money back. I think he is the only one that actually saw the silver lining in the happenings of the weekend. He never asked anyone for anything to help out. I told him that if he had gone to just about anyone around him they would have helped out in any way they could. Its a shame he didnt ask. Nice guy, just wasnt his weekend. I think he was from Iowa also, or the truck plates were from Iowa anyway.

Troy

trueque
10-12-2011, 07:59 AM
26 days and counting....

FullMoonBBQ
10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Micheal, We are waiting at our mailbox! :lie: Can't hardly wait :roll:

nthole
10-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Legitimate question. If you placed and didn't get paid, is that considered a tax deductible donation since this was a 501c org? Essentially you gave them the money back by never getting it. I would assume the contest cost isn't because, even though you didn't receive the 'something of value' promised, you did actually have the opportunity to since some places were paid. Where's the accountants in the house?

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Legitimate question. If you placed and didn't get paid, is that considered a tax deductible donation since this was a 501c org? Essentially you gave them the money back by never getting it. I would assume the contest cost isn't because, even though you didn't receive the 'something of value' promised, you did actually have the opportunity to since some places were paid. Where's the accountants in the house?

I'm not an accountant but it makes perfectly good sense. However, if audited, documenting it might be problematic.

nthole
10-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm not an accountant but it makes perfectly good sense. However, if audited, documenting it might be problematic.

Save the YouTube video, download a copy of the website with the advertised payouts and save the score sheet that shows where you placed, indicating how much you 'donated'?

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Save the YouTube video, download a copy of the website with the advertised payouts and save the score sheet that shows where you placed, indicating how much you 'donated'?

I guess that is documentation! LOL! I would just wonder if the IRS would look at you funny and say "Really?" :laugh:

Jorge
10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I have no clue if it's legal, but how many teams that are owed money would be willing to accept a 1099 in lieu of payment?

nthole
10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I have no clue if it's legal, but how many teams that are owed money would be willing to accept a 1099 in lieu of payment?

I'd bet quite a few. I had originally thought of donating the money back to the charity if we won anything. When it became a cluster I was less anxious to hand them a check back. At this point I doubt I'll ever see it anyway. It's not like I'm strapped for cash, but heck, if I can use it as a deduction at the end of the year since that's essentially what happened to it I don't think that's out of line.