PDA

View Full Version : What is the worse thing you heard in the judging tent?

tdwalker
09-09-2011, 01:30 PM
What is the worse thing you heard in the judging tent?

For me, at a contest in NJ:

"Every entry with Blue's Hog I am marking down automatically." :doh:

This from one of those guys who knows everything about everything, but especially bbq. The whole table was really wishing he would shut the fark up.

Lake Dogs
09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
A tad off the mark, but mine was at an open chili cookoff; the judge wouldn't touch the entry with black beans, said it looked like "deer poop".

Candy Sue
09-09-2011, 01:48 PM
"I really don't like Barbeque..."

boogiesnap
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM

This from one of those guys who knows everything about everything, but especially bbq. The whole table was really wishing he would shut the fark up.

so thats judge farkin' six! :mad2:

Lake Dogs
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Early on I probably would've just looked at this person *funny*. Now I'd probably ask, rather loudly, "then why the **** are you judging?!?!!"

Ron_L
09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Also a little off the mark, but...

From outside the tent at 11:50am while getting my chicken ready for turn in...

"There are storms coming with 80 mile per hour winds. We're excusing the judges to go to shelter" :shock:

Two hours later we got to turn in our food.

bigabyte
09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Actually, I'm sure many would like to hear this one more...

"I'm really just here for the ribs, everything else I just score an 8 or 9".

tdwalker
09-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Yeah, I've heard this one more than once. Usually involves a spouse who didn't want to be a bbq-widow.

Matt_A
09-09-2011, 02:43 PM

KCBS event? The contest rep should have been notified. That "judge" needs a talking to about prejudging. If he maintained that attitude he should have been asked to leave the judging area.

Matt_A
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Heard coming from OUTSIDE the judging tent after a cook got DQ'd for undercooked chicken. "Them judges don't know %&$#$#&% about BBQ, they're just here for a free ^&*(( lunch!!!"

indianagriller
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Also a little off the mark, but...

From outside the tent at 11:50am while getting my chicken ready for turn in...

"There are storms coming with 80 mile per hour winds. We're excusing the judges to go to shelter" :shock:

Two hours later we got to turn in our food.

I need to go back to holding chicken for 2 hours...lol Haven t had a 1st since then

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-09-2011, 03:19 PM
got any extra room in your cooler? mines full. (jk)

Lakeside Smoker
09-09-2011, 03:26 PM
"What's brisket?"

Bunny
09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
I was walking by a judge's table when I heard: "I judge down if there aren't more than six pieces". He got a talking to!:heh:

Bunny/rep at that contest

Sledneck
09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
"brisket should taste like pot roast"

Trucky1008
09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
A friend of mine was judging last week had a fellow judge at his table state "I can't stand the taste of pork". I wonder if anyone got a good pork score from that judge?

chad
09-09-2011, 05:52 PM
This wasn't exactly "bad": "Does this look like pulled pork to you?" Comment to the table captain when some poor soul turned in brisket instead of pulled pork!!

Pitmaster T
09-09-2011, 07:03 PM
1990's I think - A Judge next to me singing "I got a ring on the finger goin' dangalingaling" (incorrect Georgia Satellite Lyrics) while using the middle finger to block one nostril so he can blow out a bugar through the other. The visual was gross too... cut off shorts and no underwear and legs atrophied by age.

I tried to complain but he was a local potentate in Lynchburg/Tullahoma.

boogiesnap
09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
1990's I think - A Judge next to me singing "I got a ring on the finger goin' dangalingaling" (incorrect Georgia Satellite Lyrics) while using the middle finger to block one nostril so he can blow out a bugar through the other. The visual was gross too... cut off shorts and no underwear and legs atrophied by age.

I tried to complain but he was a local potentate in Lynchburg/Tullahoma.

um, donnie, just start competing again.

i'll personally bump and run your funkatorium and bring it to you.

MilitantSquatter
09-09-2011, 07:57 PM
um, donnie, just start competing again.

i'll personally bump and run your funkatorium and bring it to you.

He was banned from comps after this little thingy :heh:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=740536&postcount=1
(http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1497074#post1497074)

ClayHill
09-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I had a neighboring judge (Salisbury) question why I didn’t have a cooler, he said I was being "wasteful". I told him he could have the rest of my samples (he declined)

I also told him I wouldn’t be caught dead carrying a cooler and that I only where my badge in the tent and, I feel dirty every time I judge, He didn’t talk to me again :rolleyes:

boogiesnap
09-09-2011, 08:06 PM
He was banned from comps after this little thingy :heh:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=740536&postcount=1
(http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1497074#post1497074)

meh, meat shoulda been wrapped in foil by then. no issue.

watertowerbbq
09-09-2011, 09:23 PM
i had a judge at a table once tell the table captain she marked down the entry because they didn't give her any sliced pork. the table captain came unglued and a couple of years later, she was asked to retake the judging class.

watertowerbbq
09-09-2011, 09:24 PM
it wasn't in a judges tent, but once i saw dave compton cut the cheese :becky::bow:

Corky
09-09-2011, 09:39 PM
I also told him I wouldn’t be caught dead carrying a cooler and that I only where my badge in the tent and, I feel dirty every time I judge, He didn’t talk to me again :rolleyes:

Maybe if you ate least wore some pants . . . :shocked:

BBQchef33
09-09-2011, 10:32 PM
This was a conversation i had recently with a judge, after judging was over. The contest was a grilling contest, the catagory was pork tenderloin, open. I was in another teams tent and the judge came over to chat. when shown all the turnins, she stated she got their entry for pork. It was a stuffed pork tenderloin.

Spicy(hot) bark on the outside, inside stuffed with a sweeter goatcheese/raisin/cranberry stuffing(I think that was what was in it)... In any event, the product, sampled as whole, had the sweetness/creamyness of the stuffing offset the heat from the bark. I would have gave it a 8-9 easily for both taste and texture. And i had the leftovers at least 20 minutes after judging ended.

Here was the brief conversation, of which i walked away so steamed that i went back to my site spitting nails and talking to myself. The team was nicer than I was.. or just stunned... but i was pretty pissed off.

Her:.. I got that at my table!(pointing to the pork loin and helping herself to another sample.)
Team: how was it?
Her: We separated the meat and tasted it, and it was too hot and spicy.
Me: (Ears perked up..) "WE" separated the meat?
Her: yes, we seperated the meat and tasted that by itselff, then ate the stuffing. The meat was dry and too spicy so we marked it down.
Me: But you are suppose to judge the sample AS PRESENTED. It was PRESENTED as a medallion of STUFFED Tenderloin. You should sample and judge it as whole, not 2 separate items. The ingredients are there to balance each other out. You screwed the team.
Her: Well, what can I tell you.. thats how we did it, I wasnt the only one, others did it too. (came with a shrug of the shoulders and a roll of the eyes). Like...'too bad'..

I was farking torqued.. had to get away before i blew.. went back to my site mumbling and grumbling..

JimmyDAL
09-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Big, Big, Big Guy at our table looks up after getting the Brisket and says to the table Cap. "where did the boxes of brisket go" Cap says " they were removed and placed on that table with all the others" Biggie gets up without sampling any of the turn-ins and starts going through the boxes. Cap says "what the hell ya doing" Big's says " I came here to take everything home" Big's then sits down quickly gives scores then gets into his vehicle and speeds off with his overfilled doggie bag........Nice

HarleyGirl14226
09-10-2011, 06:42 AM
I didn't personally hear this but was told that another judge said this earlier this year:

"I'm on a low sodium diet... All of this food has salt in it and I can't eat it..."

Um... OK. Time to stop judging then. Or take a double dose of your heart meds.

MilitantSquatter
09-10-2011, 07:13 AM
This was a conversation i had recently with a judge, after judging was over. The contest was a grilling contest, the catagory was pork tenderloin, open. I was in another teams tent and the judge came over to chat. when shown all the turnins, she stated she got their entry for pork. It was a stuffed pork tenderloin.

Spicy(hot) bark on the outside, inside stuffed with a sweeter goatcheese/raisin/cranberry stuffing(I think that was what was in it)... In any event, the product, sampled as whole, had the sweetness/creamyness of the stuffing offset the heat from the bark. I would have gave it a 8-9 easily for both taste and texture. And i had the leftovers at least 20 minutes after judging ended.

Here was the brief conversation, of which i walked away so steamed that i went back to my site spitting nails and talking to myself. The team was nicer than I was.. or just stunned... but i was pretty pissed off.

Her:.. I got that at my table!(pointing to the pork loin and helping herself to another sample.)
Team: how was it?
Her: We separated the meat and tasted it, and it was too hot and spicy.
Me: (Ears perked up..) "WE" separated the meat?
Her: yes, we seperated the meat and tasted that by itselff, then ate the stuffing. The meat was dry and too spicy so we marked it down.
Me: But you are suppose to judge the sample AS PRESENTED. It was PRESENTED as a medallion of STUFFED Tenderloin. You should sample and judge it as whole, not 2 separate items. The ingredients are there to balance each other out. You screwed the team.
Her: Well, what can I tell you.. thats how we did it, I wasnt the only one, others did it too. (came with a shrug of the shoulders and a roll of the eyes). Like...'too bad'..

I was farking torqued.. had to get away before i blew.. went back to my site mumbling and grumbling..

I guess that's the a bit similar to the judges who are not fans of chicken skin and pull it off to sample the meat underneath only.

stlgreg
09-10-2011, 08:09 AM
There is a judge in my area that travels ALL over and proudly boasts judging around 200 contests.
He has told me on more than one occasion that "i dont like seeing sliced pork in the box. I mark down if i see it"

He has told me that he also prefers spares vs. baby back but his wife is the other way. I didnt bother asking if marks down there.

From another judge i have also heard " I mark down for anything sweet"
I stopped letting him judge my contest. My contest is at a mall and when i told him why i didnt want him judging anymore his response was nothing about trying to be a better judge - it was bout how much money he spends at the mall.

He was at 26 or 27 contests judged back then. There is a special reason I have one seen him once in the last 3 years :thumb: Still doesnt have his masters.

Lakeside Smoker
09-10-2011, 09:14 AM
There's a judge in New England who told me '6 chicken things in a box is boring looking, I give it a 6 for appearance.'

Mo-Dave
09-10-2011, 11:06 AM
#5. I like my ribs falling off the bone.
#4. I like my brisket falling apart tender.
#3. I don't like spicy foods.
#2. If they put a lot of sauce on it they must be hiding something and I will mark it low.
#1. From a Master Judge, I hate chicken, they can't make me eat it, DING, DING, DING, the winner. :mad2::evil::heh::mad::tsk::boxing:
Dave

tmcmaster
09-10-2011, 06:37 PM
i had a judge at a table once tell the table captain she marked down the entry because they didn't give her any sliced pork. the table captain came unglued and a couple of years later, she was asked to retake the judging class.

Why? Did KCBS need more money from her?

ClayHill
09-10-2011, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=tmcmaster;1783808 Why? Did KCBS need more money from her?[/QUOTE]
no.........she apparently had forgotten a rule, judge as presented.

mobow
09-10-2011, 07:20 PM
at sams overland park. i'm usually a vegan. bbq contest are the only time i eat meat. keith

Smokin' Hicks
09-10-2011, 09:53 PM
and you mean to tell me that the judges should not be taught a specific flavor profile, texture, and appearance at the judging class...the whole judging system is so screwed, its a joke....you should not go to a comp. and get raging mad if you come in on the low side of the scoring....one thing i have learned about this comp thing is there is as much luck if not more in it as their is skill

boogiesnap
09-10-2011, 10:35 PM
and you mean to tell me that the judges should not be taught a specific flavor profile, texture, and appearance at the judging class...the whole judging system is so screwed, its a joke....you should not go to a comp. and get raging mad if you come in on the low side of the scoring....one thing i have learned about this comp thing is there is as much luck if not more in it as their is skill

if it's luck, how then, do the top teams continue to be the top teams?

luck is random.

just sayin. there's SOME luck, but that's about it.

now that i think about it, taht may be the worst thing i've heard outside a judge tent.

Rookie'48
09-10-2011, 10:48 PM
At the GAB two or three years ago I heard a newby CBJ telling the rest of us at the table how he made his brisket at home ..... and it always turned out GREAT!!! He injected & rubbed, let it rest in the fridge overnight, rubbed again & put it in the farkin' OVEN!!!

At another comp I heard a gal complain after the briskie scoring "They didn't even give us any burnt ends!"

Another time was "Why didn't #4 turn in thighs like everyone else?"

They are out there - - - and they breed :shocked:.

Boshizzle
09-10-2011, 10:55 PM
#1 - If there is fat or a bone fragment in the pork, I am giving them a 2.
#2 - Sorry, there was a problem and we don't have a hand washing station.

Personally though, the worst thing I heard was myself saying "Sheesh, look at that. That's dry grass and dry pine needles. They dropped these freakin' ribs!" And, "Wow, that chicken is raw. Table Captain, I'm not tasting this."

I was also at a comp one time when one of the cooks came racing by and stuck his head in the judges tent and yelled "I hope none of you get sick!" That was pretty funny.

Frankbbq
09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Had a judge say that "He needed to see a rib bone on its side to give a 9 on presentation".

Flavor profiles and not taught in judging classes.

INmitch
09-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I had a guy shadowing for his Master. Which was great cause I wanted the input. But wouldn't even taste CK cause he didn't like thighs.
Don't get me wrong He's a great guy and I consider him my friend. But.....makes ya wonder??

Rich Parker
09-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I heard this at a CBJ class. "I am not a big fan of pork" Hahahaha....

Dr_KY
09-11-2011, 09:22 AM
~ The brisket is sliced thin meat 'must have' been over cooked.= scores reflected.
~ Pork is sauced 'must have' been hiding something= Scores reflected.
~ Sauce this is too good to have been made here. = score reflected.

Stop guessing/assuming and get on with what is presented to you!

tmcmaster
09-11-2011, 09:30 AM
if it's luck, how then, do the top teams continue to be the top teams?

luck is random.

just sayin. there's SOME luck, but that's about it.

now that i think about it, taht may be the worst thing i've heard outside a judge tent.
I have a few thoughts on that...

butt head
09-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a few thoughts on that...

????

ClayHill
09-11-2011, 11:20 AM
????

Yeah, we'd all like to know your thoughts Tim?

butt head
09-11-2011, 03:43 PM
:pop2:Yeah, we'd all like to know your thoughts Tim?

tmcmaster
09-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I'd be happy to PM anyone with them. Just ask.

Smokin' Hicks
09-11-2011, 04:48 PM
you got to be kidding me....no luck at all???? are you crazy? are you even reading the stuff on this thread?....the judging needs to be STANDARDIZED.....HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU NEED TO HEAR TO BELIEVE THIS?

Smokin' Hicks
09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I am dying to hear these thoughts....please share

mobow
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I think you have to have the skill to have a chance at luck smiling on you. With that said I agree that the judging class could use some updating. keith

Rich Parker
09-11-2011, 05:00 PM
you got to be kidding me....no luck at all???? are you crazy? are you even reading the stuff on this thread?....the judging needs to be STANDARDIZED.....HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU NEED TO HEAR TO BELIEVE THIS?

Just because you have a couple of judges say something stupid doesn't mean everybody needs to be trained to only focus on one standard.

I am interested to know what you think should happen to a cook that turns in bloody chicken or just a plain nasty piece of bbq?

Lake Dogs
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Smokin' Hicks,

Anyone with enough experience behind both the smoker and behind a judges table knows there is a bit of luck involved, no matter what sanctioning body you're competing in. Your barbecue not only has to be extremely good on that day, but you need it to land on a table with 5 or 6 judges who appreciate your type of barbecue and hopefully at a table where yours can stand out in a positive way.

However, yes, some judges just shouldn't be judging. I dont know why some of these folks do this, but they do. Not liking pork, or thinking brisket should taste like pot roast, etc. just shouldnt make it to be judging. Not all, but I think much of these folks aren't CBJ's at all but those guest/special people judges. I for one try to stick with competitions with only 100% CBJ, but not all competitors are so lucky. Even then there's always someone who wants a little barbecue with their salt. With any luck this person wont be at the table with someone like me who doesn't care to bite in to a salt-lick; we'll just cancel each others score out...

Taste, and for that matter appearance will always be subjective. That's part of it. It's part of "the game". Oh, by the way, tenderness IS taught and taught how to tell, like pushing pork into the roof of your mouth, and ribs bite through (or pull cleanly from the bone; depending on sanctioning body). It's much less subjective. Even then, some people will be idiots. It just happens.

Like the one I mentioned earlier. In this case the chili contest was ancillary to an MIM sanctioned contest. This person had at least 50 contests behind her, and I know she's a great BBQ judge. However, for whatever reason, she wanted to judge ancillary chili, and then darned if she didn't refuse to touch what would've been the winning entry. Why did she judge chili, I have no idea...

butt head
09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Just because you have a couple of judges say something stupid doesn't mean everybody needs to be trained to only focus on one standard.

I am interested to know what you think should happen to a cook that turns in bloody chicken or just a plain nasty piece of bbq?

bloody chicken= DQ
nasty chicken(personal tast?)= score should reflect

I try not to listen to judge talk after getting a 2 for tenderness for sauce

Rich Parker
09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
bloody chicken= DQ

My point is if a cook turns in bloody chicken or nasty bbq (creosote, bad meat) then should all cooks be required to be trained in food safety and all food should be prepared / cooked in health dept approved areas.

I think it is fun to quote the silly things we hear from both cooks and judges but the judge bashing is ridiculous.

Good food always wins!

motoeric
09-11-2011, 07:15 PM
the judging needs to be STANDARDIZED.....HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU NEED TO HEAR TO BELIEVE THIS?

You realize that all these quotes are anecdotal at best, right?

The flip side of this discussion would have been a thread that asked how many times have you been in the judges tent when you heard nothing out of the normal by the judges. That thread would certainly have been more boring, but would have presented a different perspective.

Weeding out bad judges is something that should be happening every year by organizers and maybe sanctioning bodies, but judges as a whole are educated, dedicated and are fans of the hobby.

Eric

Sledneck
09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I know the unofficial end of summer just passed but wow the cabin door isn't even closed yet. I wasn't expecting all this until at least after the holidays .........

motoeric
09-11-2011, 07:26 PM
I wasn't expecting all this until at least after the holidays .........

Well, you can consider Labor Day as a holiday, so... there ya go.

Also, yawn.

Eric

Pork Barrel Project
09-11-2011, 11:03 PM
From the broadsides being directed at judges, it certainly doesn't feel like January yet (still waaaay too damned hot and humid for that) but here's a type of comment I haven't seen in this thread yet.

Years ago, I was doing double duty as a judge and table captain at a small contest down in Missouri where there was a local judge, a good friend of the organizer, who was pressed into service because the contest was extremely short of CBJs and other volunteers. Just before I went up to get in line for the brisket entries to come in, she confided to me, "I think should tell you. I'm allergic to meat. Every once in a while, something in the meat causes my throat swells shut and I can't breathe."

Should she have been there? Absolutely not. If I had been aware of her condition before the judging began, I would have notified the reps and they would have found somebody else to judge. But, to her credit, she had no episodes that day, enjoyed herself thoroughly while judging and all of her scores were fair and right in line with the other judges at the table.

Hub
09-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Some of these stories are funny and reflect, I think, the sometimes odd nature of human thought and behavior. However a few are pathetic and, if true, should have resulted in action by the reps. Great barbeque competition demands both great cooks and great judges.

If you are a judge and you are the recipient of some pathetic, obviously biased, contrary to the rules and intent of the contest and sanctioning body comment by another judge you have an obligation to bring it to the rep's attention. This may sound harsh, but when there's a field full of cooks out there who've put their hearts and their wallets on the line, you owe it to them our of respect for their efforts.

CMALANGA
09-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I can tell you the worst thing I've seen / heard..."this chicken was really awlful"..then the ziplock bag came out, into the cooler it went, followed by a family picnic after judging was done. Nothing says family time like already bitten chicken in 100 degree heat that's awful and been sitting in a cooler for roughly 2 hours.

tmcmaster
09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I am reading some of these things, and what slaps me in the face the most is that reps allow judges to bring coolers into the judges tent! So, if I am reading this right... Judges can judge and then take the left overs? I haven't ever seen this and am somewhat sickened at the thought. I somehow respect the judging process even LESS than I did this morning...

Warthog
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I am reading some of these things, and what slaps me in the face the most is that reps allow judges to bring coolers into the judges tent! So, if I am reading this right... Judges can judge and then take the left overs? I haven't ever seen this and am somewhat sickened at the thought. I somehow respect the judging process even LESS than I did this morning...
Sounds like you have not been to many comps. Judges bringing in coolers seems the norm in every comp I have attended. The real point is the judge should taste and rate what is presented before them. After that process is completed fairly the judge can do whatever with the remains. As for the other end of the spectrum there was a judge sitting across from me in New Holland and all he was concerned about was bringing enough food home to feed his family. There is good and bad in everything. Just because a judge takes leftovers does not make them a bad judge.

Lake Dogs
09-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Second Worst (came from me):

*GAG*, *COUGH*, *GAG*, *COUGH*, Paaaatoooooooeeeeeeeeye.

I tried as hard as I could to chew this thing (I was surprised I was actually able to gnaw a little piece off). The char on the pork rib combined with the lighter fluid taste was too much. I couldn't swallow. It was a pure spitter. I was the only one at the table brave enough to put the rib to my lips. Everyone else didnt venture that far... Perhaps I made too much noise....

Why anyone with any self respect at all would actually turn that in is beyond me!

It was a long time ago, MIM comp, scores all 7's across the board. Not just DAL, but DAL over the years!!!!

I'd been judging quite a while and knew my fellow judges well. After nobody would touch this stuff on the grazing table, the organizer asked me if I wanted to take the remainder home to my dogs. I answered "No, I wouldn't do that to a dog".

Ok, there's another one, the "No, I wouldn't do that to a dog".

ThomEmery
09-12-2011, 03:03 PM
"I can cook better than that"

ThomEmery
09-12-2011, 03:04 PM
"Is the Brisket from a cow or a pig?"

ThomEmery
09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
"Do you want that?
Is it OK if I put it in my cooler?"

tigerpaw
09-12-2011, 03:20 PM

As a newer judge I have heard a few things but much less "bad if you will then already presented by others. I do enjoy listening to judges who have much lower ID numbers than me, and their comments. I sometimes wonder if they could only hear themselves and how they act. By no means all. There have been 1, maybe up to 3 that I have wondered why are you here if you feel this way. Certinally there is something else you could be doing today.

But to comment on the cooler thing. I don't do it. Does not make me better than anyone I just don't feel comfortable with it. I fully understand those comments by other judges when they see I am not taking home anything. They drive a long way here and this is their "reward" or "payment" for coming as far as they did. I had to ask though how they re heat as all the bbq all runs together in their bag.

I also in my mind wonder if they share this food with loved ones. Not too sure I would like to be eating ribs with a bite already taken out or chicken either. I don't care if its my wife, my parents, its just something weird about it. I know we had some real tough brisket at a comp. And even though all agreed this was one of the worse peices we had all tried EVER, (we are sure it was a first time cook) in the cooler it went.

ModelMaker
09-12-2011, 05:49 PM
bloody chicken= DQ

Mr Butt,
It is obvious that you have never judged, as in ancillary catagorys the KCBS reprsentative makes it a point before the samples reach any table to explain what the tenderness score should represent. In a sauce catagory it is usually explained that in place of tenderness the score should reflect consistency, smooth,grainy,big/small chunks,mouth feel etc.
So your 2 in tenderness was pry a poor attempt at making a sauce vs a chutney.
Ed

EatonHoggBBQ
09-12-2011, 05:57 PM
bloody chicken= DQ

:hand: Bloody chicken is not a DQ. Bloody chicken is marked 2-inedible.

tmcmaster
09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you have not been to many comps. Judges bringing in coolers seems the norm in every comp I have attended... After that process is completed fairly the judge can do whatever with the remains... Just because a judge takes leftovers does not make them a bad judge.

Admittidly, I have only been judging for 2 years, and in that 2 years have cooked far more than I have judged.

That being said, it still FEELS dirty to me. Is it? Obviously not, but, it would just never EVER occur to me that I am judging a contest for free meals. One or two bad apples spoil the bunch, as my dear departed and saintly grandmother would say. In this case, the fact that ONE judge may judge just to get the leftovers, calls all the others into question. Sure, it's guilt by association, but I don't see KCBS doing anythign to address it.:mad2:

Goddahavit
09-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Tim why care if they take it home?
I feel bad myself, I throw away more than they take home...
Granted I don't see anyone i know, even me eating bad BBQ missing a bite or 2 later.
But if they want it more power to them.
As long as I get a fair taste before they cooler it.

boogiesnap
09-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Granted I don't see anyone i know, even me eating bad BBQ missing a bite or 2 later.

i think thats the thing tim is suggesting. if the option is allowed then, for some coolering the food is 1st, judging it fairly is second.

PimpSmoke
09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I have heard tales told (read tales), of judges taking the tiniest bite possible and then judging the entry. How can they judge when they don't even bite the damn meat?

Never personally seen it and don't want to get on the bashing wagon, but it's been from a few people.

Rookie'48
09-12-2011, 10:35 PM

I have heard tales told (read tales), of judges taking the tiniest bite possible and then judging the entry. How can they judge when they don't even bite the damn meat?
Never personally seen it and don't want to get on the bashing wagon, but it's been from a few people.

I have seen it happen a couple of times in about 60 KCBS contests. At one comp a dearly departed Rep by the name of Jack Gibbs gave a very inspired talk about giving the cooks a "fair bite" before putting it in your cooler!

jrbBBQ
09-12-2011, 10:54 PM
This is my first year cooking and I have never judged a contest. It blows my mind that there are people out there judging that would make these comments... with that being said, I appreciate the people who take it seriously and travel hundreds of miles to give everyone a fair shot. As far as being luck.. the first couple contests I was a little paranoid about some top teams and the judging process, but the reason the same guys are the ones winning is because they cook like robots and thier food is super consistent. When you have 5-10 top teams cooking at a contest of 30-40 you can show up and pretty much narrow it down to who may win. The luck comes into play with what table those elite teams land on, everyone else is playing catch-up to figure out thier techniques and flavor proflies. sorry, that was a little off topic, but some of the comments made me want to get that off my chest.... and the comments are funny as long is it doesn't happen to me, but looking at my score sheets, I think it's happened more than once, oh well, I just try to focus on the things I can control and everyone is entitled to thier own opinion even if they are judging a BBQ contest and is allergic to meat?!:crazy:?! oh, and about taking meat home in coolers.... what do I care, I let everyone next to me sample my food after turn-ins and whats left I give away to neighbors and family when I get home. When it gets put in that box, its no longer mine, you can do whatever you want with it.

Lake Dogs
09-13-2011, 07:00 AM
jrbBBQ, yes some of these comments are particularly disappointing, but I think Hub hit on it that it says something about the human condition. I'd judged quite a few in the past, then over the last few years have participated more as a contestant than a judge, but this year due to funds I've judged more again and will judge, as best I can count, my 89th and 90th competitions coming up in the next few weeks (and getting my GBA certification to go along with MIM and MBN). In all of these sanctioned competitions I can only think of a time or two when I've heard or seen something really disappointing. Most judges and most competitions take their duty very seriously and strive to be as objective as possible, particularly given the subjective nature of it. It's only the rare idiot out there, and luckily from my experience they've not been a CBJ but a guest judge, usually someone from a local city council or a large sponsor ($$$). Even then I know the major sanctioning bodies toss out the lowest scores to help over-come some of the goofy things that happen. So, averages being averages, your barbecue is getting a pretty good evaluation.

Notice above, I said "sanctioned competitions", meaning CBJ's. I've had TONS of experience with competitions (usually chili, not barbecue) that dont use CBJ's, and frankly with training and guidance these folks will still do WILD stuff. I can't tell you how many CASI chili cookoffs I've witnessed judges say "I dont like spicy food". FOR GOODNESS SAKE, IT'S A CHILI COOKOFF!!!!!

If you stick with sanctioned cookoffs that strive to achieve 100% CBJ's, I think you'll be fairly happy with your results, or at least feel as if you got a "fair shake".

tmcmaster
09-13-2011, 07:28 AM

It isn't that it bothers me as much as it sort of puts the entire process in question. If ONE judge shows up with a cooler and empty belly, and his soul mission is to fill those empty vessels for free, well, that call sinto question the whole process. It puts a stain on the other entries said judge tasted. It stains the rest of the field that may move up or down based on ONE judge having a skewed perspective on his table entries. One judge can impact an ENTIRE contest.

I make this offer to any judge reading this, if you are THAT hungry, come by my pit after judging with a zip-top bag and load up! Just bring me a beer! I don't want to know what you think of it (after judging, of course), or if you think you may have had it on your table, just fill up your belly and cooler and judge fairly. Deal?

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
from a certified master judge..."I don't judge on garnish, i judge the appearance of the meat and I think a well garnished box makes the meat look better"

bover
09-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Between rounds I once overheard a gaggle of three ladies that judge together quite a bit talking about the wonderful ribs they had at Applebee's the night before. I just about crapped.

Rich Parker
09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
It isn't that it bothers me as much as it sort of puts the entire process in question. If ONE judge shows up with a cooler and empty belly, and his soul mission is to fill those empty vessels for free, well, that call sinto question the whole process. It puts a stain on the other entries said judge tasted. It stains the rest of the field that may move up or down based on ONE judge having a skewed perspective on his table entries. One judge can impact an ENTIRE contest.

I make this offer to any judge reading this, if you are THAT hungry, come by my pit after judging with a zip-top bag and load up! Just bring me a beer! I don't want to know what you think of it (after judging, of course), or if you think you may have had it on your table, just fill up your belly and cooler and judge fairly. Deal?

After reading your posts about judging, you saying "It isn't that is bothers me.." is pretty funny. :-D

The process has been around for a long time and even though it may need some refinement in areas the judging process works and is fair to all cooks.

Stoke&Smoke
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
First one was at the judges meeting at the first comp I ever judged. Guy asks..."so are there prizes or something for this?" :doh:

Next, a "respected" master judge, after only doing appearance, declares a box to be "nines across the board" He later went on to explain it was because these were just the perfect shape and color :mad2: kind of thing that really chaps my arse as a cook!

Last one wasn't actually in a judges tent, but at a judges class. I was a table captain, wife was actually attending. There's one lady in the crowd judging everything low.

Instructor keeps asking why, and she can't seem to really explain other than "I just didn't care for it"

After pork judging, same result. This time, when asked, she replied, " I guess I just don't like smoked meat"

First time I ever saw that particular instructor/rep completely at a loss for words!

Lake Dogs
09-13-2011, 11:42 AM
After reading your posts about judging, you saying "It isn't that is bothers me.." is pretty funny. :-D

The process has been around for a long time and even though it may need some refinement in areas the judging process works and is fair to all cooks.

Having been on both sides of the fence, and having competed in competitions sanctioned by a few different sanctioning bodies, I can't think that I've ever thought it wasn't fair, to all cooks.

If we look at KCBS, I think much of the problem in the judging arena there has as much to do with KCBS's growth and success. It's tough to get 100% CBJ's at many competitions, and many of those with a high percentage of CBJ's, of the CBJ's, many are first or second time CBJ's; rookies if you will.

At lot of CBJ rookies will do one of two things: either give darned near everything a 9 because they're just darned glad to be there, or they'll really hammer most everything because they want to prove something. It's that experienced CBJ that I like. He/she certainly has flavors that they prefer, but they've seen the charred come across, the rubbery, the couldn't cut it from the bone with a chainsaw tough, and they've had some that was so good their eyes rolled in the back of their head and thought to themselves "It doesn't get any better'n this".

Lake Dogs
09-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Last one wasn't actually in a judges tent, but at a judges class. I was a table captain, wife was actually attending. There's one lady in the crowd judging everything low.

Instructor keeps asking why, and she can't seem to really explain other than "I just didn't care for it"

After pork judging, same result. This time, when asked, she replied, " I guess I just don't like smoked meat"

First time I ever saw that particular instructor/rep completely at a loss for words!

With any luck she decided against judging BBQ contests. It really reminds me of a LOT of the chili judges I've seen....

Podge
09-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I had a judge come up to me last year before turn-in's, and tell me that I should take a judging class. He said it'd help me with presentation ideas, among other things... I just let him talk. (Never know, he might say something useful). I have come to the conclusion he eats with his eyes, and could potentially pre-judge how good the food is going to taste by the way it looks. He judged me by my and my site's looks.

For those who don't cook where I cook, my site is very unassuming. I have a toy hauler, my fatboy and a white table outside with a couple of chairs. I look like a newbie every contest I go to.. no banners, etc. I reckon he thought I was a newbie.

Pig Headed
09-13-2011, 04:06 PM
As a cook mostly and a sometime judge, I really don't understand all the fuss about judges taking home the tasted meat presented for judging. They have 2 options, throw it away or take it home. Who cares, as long as they fairly judged it. Sure there are a few there just for the free food, but then what group of people can say not one of them doesn't measure up to the groups standards. I could care less what they do with it after judging.

boogiesnap
09-13-2011, 07:59 PM
As a cook mostly and a sometime judge, I really don't understand all the fuss about judges taking home the tasted meat presented for judging. They have 2 options, throw it away or take it home. Who cares, as long as they fairly judged it. Sure there are a few there just for the free food, but then what group of people can say not one of them doesn't measure up to the groups standards. I could care less what they do with it after judging.

again, i think you may be missing the point here.

the fact that the option exists opens the door for the POSSIBILTY that taking home free food come first and judging fairly come second.

with a comp of 50 teams pumping at least $1000 dollars each into the economy and contest, not to mention personal time, creativity, etc. etc., we, as a group, deserve to have the least amount of human condition error possible when it comes to judging the food we present.

i'd hate to see it all thrown away though.

can't come up with something better though, but, i'm trying. will post when an idea worthy presents itself.

Podge
09-13-2011, 09:10 PM
If people have a tough time with food being thrown away, think about how much is thrown away without a second thought when it's trimmed raw !

I used to throw away brisket trimmings, until I trimmed 4 at once and ground it up and ended up with 5.5 pounds of good hambuger..

pig, chicken and cow parts are used as a means to win a contest in my opinion. Not a food to provide nutrition to sustain yer person.

boogiesnap
09-13-2011, 09:17 PM
If people have a tough time with food being thrown away, think about how much is thrown away without a second thought when it's trimmed raw !

I used to throw away brisket trimmings, until I trimmed 4 at once and ground it up and ended up with 5.5 pounds of good hambuger..

pig, chicken and cow parts are used as a means to win a contest in my opinion. Not a food to provide nutrition to sustain yer person.

you've been around the block....ban taking the food home then?

personally, i do not throw away any meat from my trimmings. somebody in family eats them. my americain staffordshire terrier is also considered family. :becky:

Matt_A
09-13-2011, 11:23 PM
A contest organizer can prohibit the judged food from being taken home. That being said, if they did put that rule into effect, how much harder would it be to get judges to sign up?

boogiesnap
09-14-2011, 06:46 AM
agreed, it's a bit of a pickle.

Podge
09-14-2011, 07:31 AM
you've been around the block....ban taking the food home then?

personally, i do not throw away any meat from my trimmings. somebody in family eats them. my americain staffordshire terrier is also considered family. :becky:

Well, I have mixed feelings about that. I feel that if a judge takes 2 honest bites out of each entry, I'd feel there wouldn't be enough to take home and mess with. Whatever is left though, I really don't care what they do with it. They can trow it away and won't hurt my feelings.

Smokedelic
09-14-2011, 07:49 AM
A contest organizer can prohibit the judged food from being taken home. That being said, if they did put that rule into effect, how much harder would it be to get judges to sign up?
The judges that won't sign up to judge a contest solely because they can't take home leftovers are exactly the same judges that have no business being in a judging tent in the first place.

tmcmaster
09-14-2011, 08:15 AM

I don't see that as a truly bad thing, though. I would rather have a collection of judges who are there to honestly and honorably judge than one who is just there for a free meal... Even if there is only ONE in the tent, that can (and probably HAS) tilted the entire judging process for that event. And the appearance of impropriety is my concern.

bover
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
As a judge first and competitor second, I can honestly say it wouldn't break my heart one bit if coolers were banned from the judging tent. Folks can argue the pros and cons of it all day but as Tim just stated the appearance and potential for impropriety, even if said impropriety never happens, should make it a no-brainer decision.

And just to keep this on topic, at the contest I judged this weekend I overheard one judge giving another judge pointers on what type of coolers and containers to bring with them when they judge the Royal next month. From the way he was going on about it, it was very clear to me that taking home leftovers was his primary motivation for judging. That is just all sorts of wrong.

Matt_A
09-14-2011, 11:52 AM
It's some of the comments I've overheard and some actions I've seen that are making me consider banning coolers and not allowing food to be taken home. Even though the event charity is the Food Bank and I dislike wasting food, I'm more concerned about getting judges that are there to give honest, well considered opinions. To me, the integrity of the judging process is paramount and I don't like the perception that judging is a "free lunch for the Family". :decision: Being a first time comp though, I am concerned that I may not be able to get enough certified judges.

Untraceable
09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
So what you guys are saying is that I should put as much meat in my boxes as possible :-D

tdwalker
09-14-2011, 01:26 PM
@Untraceable - All the extra meat goes to the table captains and volunteers.

However, if you want to improve your scores, you might want to put BIGGER pieces in the box. :wink:

DaveElliott
09-14-2011, 01:45 PM
My wife and I were judging at the Royal last year, and when we were all standing in line we started talking to the woman in front of us. She had a cooler with her and we started talking about it, and she said that she takes home all of the entries she judges and brings them into work the next day for all of her coworkers!

Apparently her coworkers don't mind teeth marks!

Podge
09-14-2011, 02:21 PM
My wife and I were judging at the Royal last year, and when we were all standing in line we started talking to the woman in front of us. She had a cooler with her and we started talking about it, and she said that she takes home all of the entries she judges and brings them into work the next day for all of her coworkers!

I hope she works with mice.

Matt_A
09-14-2011, 03:23 PM

And she's had her hands all over the food, probably licked her fingers in beween pieces... :puke:

bbq.tom
09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
It's some of the comments I've overheard and some actions I've seen that are making me consider banning coolers and not allowing food to be taken home. Even though the event charity is the Food Bank and I dislike wasting food, I'm more concerned about getting judges that are there to give honest, well considered opinions. To me, the integrity of the judging process is paramount and I don't like the perception that judging is a "free lunch for the Family". :decision: Being a first time comp though, I am concerned that I may not be able to get enough certified judges.

Ban the coolers if you want, but you could also talk with the KCBS Reps and have them "STRESS" the judging process, and for the Reps to suggest the judges take at least two bites of each entry. This can also be stressed to the Table Captains when they have their meeting (after the judge's oath) for them to be watchful and "talk" to judges who aren't biting enough to be able to judge the entries fairly. If the "talk" from the TC isn't enough to get the judge to sample more, then a "talk" from the Rep would be in order.

I enjoy taking home "left-overs" from my judging plate, but ALWAYS take at least two bites of each entry to ensure I can judge the entry fairly.

Just my $0.02.

butt head
09-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Mr Butt,
It is obvious that you have never judged, as in ancillary catagorys the KCBS reprsentative makes it a point before the samples reach any table to explain what the tenderness score should represent. In a sauce catagory it is usually explained that in place of tenderness the score should reflect consistency, smooth,grainy,big/small chunks,mouth feel etc.
So your 2 in tenderness was pry a poor attempt at making a sauce vs a chutney.
Ed

:icon_shy never said i was a judge and never said anything bad about a judge.
my sauce has won several awards( no chunks all sauce)

I take my scores and deal with it. like getting called out on strikes on an outside pitch

ModelMaker
09-15-2011, 09:02 AM
:icon_shy never said i was a judge and never said anything bad about a judge.
my sauce has won several awards( no chunks all sauce)

I take my scores and deal with it. like getting called out on strikes on an outside pitch

Just trying to explain to you that the "2" had nothing to do with "tenderness".
Ed

sitnfat
09-15-2011, 07:44 PM
It may have already been mentioned but, when the judging is all over and judges are walking around talking to teams and someone asks, how many perfect boxes you see, and the judge replies I dont give perfect scores!!!! That really hits me wrong

tmcmaster
09-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Back on topic, one of the worst things I hear (repeatedly) from judges when walking around after judging is "What did your boxes look like?" I guess trying to figure out who they judged?

Alexa RnQ
09-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Back on topic, one of the worst things I hear (repeatedly) from judges when walking around after judging is "What did your boxes look like?" I guess trying to figure out who they judged?

This is the sort of thing that should be discussed immediately with the rep at that contest. ANY time a judge tries to circumvent the veil of anonymity afforded by the double-blind system, they should be re-educated or removed.

tmcmaster
09-16-2011, 11:32 AM
This is the sort of thing that should be discussed immediately with the rep at that contest. ANY time a judge tries to circumvent the veil of anonymity afforded by the double-blind system, they should be re-educated or removed.
I usually just smile and say "Square and white."

ModelMaker
09-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Worst thing I ever heard in the judging tent was, sitting next to Dave Compton he says "I'm feeling a little gassy"
Ed

QansasjayhawQ
09-17-2011, 07:15 PM
And I hope to never know who's entry it is that I am judging.

Although, I have come to recognize two unique styles that stand out from the crowd. Tasting these entries are like recognizing a certain painter's style -

and to keep it on topic, I think the most disturbing thing I've heard in a judging tent is 'I only judge this one event each year . . . and I've judged it for the past <whatever number> of years'.

And, from what I can tell, these people have a tendency to be harsh judges because they take themselves far too seriously, ready to dole out the punishment for less than 'perfect' entries at 'their' contest. I could name towns, but I will not.

And, yes, I've heard all of the above, except perhaps Dave Compton saying he has gas. He's never warned me before. :)

But I do know he's always cutting the cheese - smoked cheese, that is.

tmcmaster
09-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Worst thing I ever heard, has just changed, after judging this weekend...

A judge was VERY angry that the Pittsbugh Sam's contest was 'no-carry-out' for the judges. He was considering NOT doing it because of it. For shame.

Lake Dogs
09-19-2011, 07:05 AM

A judge was VERY angry that the Pittsbugh Sam's contest was 'no-carry-out' for the judges. He was considering NOT doing it because of it. For shame.

I wish someone had said "Dont let the door hit you in the *** on your way out."

Pack-A-Smokes
09-19-2011, 09:28 AM

I may be wrong, but I think all Sam's contest were no carry-out. We were beside the judging tent and watched as the extras were placed in foil pans and kept warm. I assumed since they gave us foil pans and asked us to please fill them with our extras for the employees that the extras from the judging tent were also going to the employees.

Really though? I hope this person does not judge because he will already be in a bad mood and will probably score down everything that hits his table.

bbq.tom
09-19-2011, 10:33 AM
I assumed since they gave us foil pans and asked us to please fill them with our extras for the employees that the extras from the judging tent were also going to the employees.

No one is talking about the "extras" from the judging tent, but rather the "left overs" from a judge's plate. BIG difference. Extras have NOT been bitten into by a judge!

It is too bad that there are some judges that are so caught up in the desire to take something home that they get mad when they are told that they can't!

jbrink01
09-19-2011, 10:38 AM

I think it should be that way at every contest. Give the food to a food pantry or something.

Vince RnQ
09-19-2011, 12:18 PM
It is my understanding that all Sam's Club events have not allowed judges to take home sampled food.

The reason I heard was due to health department concerns and liability issues.

And speaking of liability, don't you think that someone who claims to have gotten sick from eating some leftovers a day or two later might have a legitimate claim against the event, especially if the Health Dept. were to have determined that the food wasn't handled properly? That's not a risk I would be willing to take as a contest organizer.

bbq.tom
09-19-2011, 12:27 PM
And speaking of liability, don't you think that someone who claims to have gotten sick from eating some leftovers a day or two later might have a legitimate claim against the event, especially if the Health Dept. were to have determined that the food wasn't handled properly? That's not a risk I would be willing to take as a contest organizer.

That is why at many contests the judges are required to sign a "waiver of liability".

Boshizzle
09-19-2011, 08:03 PM
OK, I have a new "worst thing heard in the judging tent."

The KCBS rep asking for the judges' attention saying that all judges must taste the entries. Taking a nibble and putting the entry in your take out bag isn't good enough!

Yeah, it actually happened this season.

Now, to be fair, one of the worst things I am sure a cook has said from time to time is I dropped it but I'm entering it anyway.

As a CBJ, I spend my time, wear and tear on my car, and my gas money to judge these comps and have no chance of recouping any of the money I lose in the deal. I take it VERY seriously and am careful to judge based on KCBS standards. They don't give cash prizes to judges. In the last two months I have judged at least one BBQ entry that was raw and one other that was most certainly dropped on the ground before being put in the box. That pi**es me off, frankly. Any cook that would expect a judge to eat something that has clearly been dropped should be DQ'd. In fact, if it ever happens to me again I will insist that the entry be DQ'd. Raw chicken can be forgiven but dropped food turned in can't. I won't taste the raw chicken but I won't hold it against the cook either. But, if it's been dropped, it's DQ'd if I'm judging it.

Lake Dogs
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I've had a few entries come across the table that I thought to myself "I surely wouldn't give that to a guest at my house, and might not give it to the dog, so what the **** do they think they're doing putting this in a box to be judged at a competition?!?!!".

That being said, I think the inedible score of "2" should suffice nicely.

ClayHill
09-19-2011, 08:31 PM

well if this person shows up at my table in Pittsburgh I'll kindly tell him or her where to go

BBQchef33
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM

The KCBS rep asking for the judges' attention saying that all judges must taste the entries. Taking a nibble and putting the entry in your take out bag isn't good enough!

Now, to be fair, one of the worst things I am sure a cook has said from time to time is I dropped it but I'm entering it anyway.

As a CBJ, I spend my time, wear and tear on my car, and my gas money to judge these comps and have no chance of recouping any of the money I lose in the deal. I take it VERY seriously and am careful to judge based on KCBS standards. They don't give cash prizes to judges. In the last two months I have judged at least one BBQ entry that was raw and one other that was most certainly dropped on the ground before being put in the box. That pi**es me off, frankly. Any cook that would expect a judge to eat something that has clearly been dropped should be DQ'd. In fact, if it ever happens to me again I will insist that the entry be DQ'd. Raw chicken can be forgiven but dropped food turned in can't. I won't taste the raw chicken but I won't hold it against the cook either. But, if it's been dropped, it's DQ'd if I'm judging it.

i would thing that something that has been dropped would have enough foreign matter on it to warrant the DQ. (Grass, Dirt, pebbles, etc..)

Point is, I dont think u will have to 'insist' it be DQ'ed.. i think it would be obvious.

PimpSmoke
09-19-2011, 09:12 PM

As a CBJ, I spend my time, wear and tear on my car, and my gas money to judge these comps and have no chance of recouping any of the money I lose in the deal. I take it VERY seriously and am careful to judge based on KCBS standards. They don't give cash prizes to judges. In the last two months I have judged at least one BBQ entry that was raw and one other that was most certainly dropped on the ground before being put in the box. That pi**es me off, frankly. Any cook that would expect a judge to eat something that has clearly been dropped should be DQ'd. In fact, if it ever happens to me again I will insist that the entry be DQ'd. Raw chicken can be forgiven but dropped food turned in can't. I won't taste the raw chicken but I won't hold it against the cook either. But, if it's been dropped, it's DQ'd if I'm judging it.:-o

Well, if it's that inedible why do want to cooler it so bad. Do you like chit food?:-D

Chenernator
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Judges and coolers = :deadhorse:

Back on topic:

"Oops!" right after a rookie judge dropped her sample onto the sandy floor. We split another sample, so no harm, no foul.
SLURP, SLURP, SLURP

Boshizzle
09-19-2011, 10:54 PM
:-o

Well, if it's that inedible why do want to cooler it so bad. Do you like chit food?:-D

I don't take anything out of the judges tent but a lot of judges do.

Boshizzle
09-19-2011, 10:57 PM
i would thing that something that has been dropped would have enough foreign matter on it to warrant the DQ. (Grass, Dirt, pebbles, etc..)

Point is, I dont think u will have to 'insist' it be DQ'ed.. i think it would be obvious.

You know, I thought the same thing. But, the rep asked me if I was willing to judge it any way. At the time, I thought I'd be a good sport and I agreed to find a spot to bite so I could judge it. The rep let me settle the matter. But, after thinking about it, I don't think I would do that again if put in the same situation.

comfrank
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
You know, I thought the same thing [dirt, grass, pebbles from dropping = DQ]. But, the rep asked me if I was willing to judge it any way. At the time, I thought I'd be a good sport and I agreed to find a spot to bite so I could judge it. The rep let me settle the matter. But, after thinking about it, I don't think I would do that again if put in the same situation.

That doesn't seem right to me. If there is a noticeable toothpick in your chicken thigh, that's a DQ and it would be inappropriate for the rep to let the judge "settle the matter". Dirt, pebbles, and grass are all foreign objects. There's no wiggle room--it's a DQ, IMHO.

Now, if the dirt, pebbles, and/or grass were not noticeable?? But then why did you have to hunt for a spot to take a bite?

I just hope if I ever drop a slab of ribs that I've got another to hand in (Johnny Trigg mod). :thumb:

--frank in Wilson, NY

Boshizzle
09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
That doesn't seem right to me. If there is a noticeable toothpick in your chicken thigh, that's a DQ and it would be inappropriate for the rep to let the judge "settle the matter". Dirt, pebbles, and grass are all foreign objects. There's no wiggle room--it's a DQ, IMHO.

Now, if the dirt, pebbles, and/or grass were not noticeable?? But then why did you have to hunt for a spot to take a bite?

I just hope if I ever drop a slab of ribs that I've got another to hand in (Johnny Trigg mod). :thumb:

--frank in Wilson, NY

I have noticed the reps at several comps have always DQ'd entries as a last resort. In the case of the pine needles and grass and in the case of the raw chicken the rep asked me if I was willing to taste the entries. I wasn't willing to taste the raw chicken and the entry was DQ'd (given a score of 1) and in the case of the dropped rib, since I was willing to taste it they dropped the issue.

And, after all that, the rib was under cooked.

rweller
09-21-2011, 08:19 AM
I have noticed the reps at several comps have always DQ'd entries as a last resort. In the case of the pine needles and grass and in the case of the raw chicken the rep asked me if I was willing to taste the entries. I wasn't willing to taste the raw chicken and the entry was DQ'd (given a score of 1) and in the case of the dropped rib, since I was willing to taste it they dropped the issue.

And, after all that, the rib was under cooked.

If this was a KCBS contest and the rep DQ'd the chicken he/she did it wrong. You should have given it a 2 for being inedible but not a DQ. In any case the cook is done in this catagory and the contest for overall.

Lake Dogs
09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I do believe in giving the benefit of the doubt to the cook, but that's in scores that are "tweeners", meaning when you cant decide between the 7 or the 8, give them the benefit of the doubt and give them the 8.

Contrary, rules are rules, and frankly should be applied evenly across the nation. Foreign matter is foreign matter; DQ. That KCBS Rep should be raked across the coals, IMHO.

PorkQPine
09-21-2011, 09:24 AM

Good thing he wasn't at my table, I'd call over the Rep and get him kicked out. Been there done that, especially with VIP politicians brought in as a celebrity judge who think we really care what they think.

Alexa RnQ
09-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Okay, I've been holding back on this one for a while now, but I just have to type it out ONCE.

At a recent contest, on Saturday morning a judge stopped to briefly talk to us on the way in. On the table were chicken thighs ready to have rub applied.

The judge exclaimed with evident delight, "OOOoooOOOoooo, are those TAMALES?!"

Srsly. The comment had not been offered as a joke. And this judge purports to be a cook as well.

Chenernator
09-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Okay, I've been holding back on this one for a while now, but I just have to type it out ONCE.

At a recent contest, on Saturday morning a judge stopped to briefly talk to us on the way in. On the table were chicken thighs ready to have rub applied.

Srsly. The comment had not been offered as a joke. And this judge purports to be a cook as well.

What was a judge doing in your area on a Saturday morning???!!!

Alexa RnQ
09-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Many will say a brief "Hi" on the way in. We didn't have walls up. In this case, a question was involved.

tmcmaster
09-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Many will say a brief "Hi" on the way in. We didn't have walls up. In this case, a question was involved.
When I judge, I always go early and say a quick HI to as many teams as I can. Unless walls are up and there is food out. If I see food, I turn the other way.:thumb: Now shots on the other hand... :laugh:

bbq.tom
09-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Depending on how much time there is between the Judges check-in and the Judges meeting, I usually try to walk around a bit to see who-all is competing. If I make eye contact with ANYONE as I walk around I will say "Hey!", but I make it a point to NEVER engage in any lengthy conversation with any team. Once again, even the appearance of impropriety is cause for concern.

Just saying...

boogiesnap
09-22-2011, 08:10 AM

i loves me a good tamale! :laugh:

Smokin' D
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
This is not the worst I've heard, but certainly the worst I've seen. I was a table captain at a contest in the early Spring. One guy at my table says he loves BBQ, but doesn't cook. Just likes to judge. OK. When all 6 chicken samples are out and the judging commences, this guy starts not just licking his fingers but sticking them into his mouth all the way up to the knuckle and sucking noisily!! Finished of with licking his whole hand. Disgusting! Asked him nicely to stop. He refused. Contest Rep kicked him off the table, hopefully forever. To make the story even better; The replacement judge was his wife! Made for a nice day, but at least she had table manners.

Boshizzle
09-22-2011, 10:03 PM

Isn't tamales one of the KCBS categories? :laugh:

About all I do if I walk through the team area is wish the teams luck if I make eye contact. I don't hang around nor do I strike up a conversation. However, if the cook starts a conversation (which has happened on several occasions) I will talk to them as long as they want. And, I never make a comment about tamales. :thumb:

Boshizzle
09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
This is not the worst I've heard, but certainly the worst I've seen. I was a table captain at a contest in the early Spring. One guy at my table says he loves BBQ, but doesn't cook. Just likes to judge. OK. When all 6 chicken samples are out and the judging commences, this guy starts not just licking his fingers but sticking them into his mouth all the way up to the knuckle and sucking noisily!! Finished of with licking his whole hand. Disgusting! Asked him nicely to stop. He refused. Contest Rep kicked him off the table, hopefully forever. To make the story even better; The replacement judge was his wife! Made for a nice day, but at least she had table manners.

Wow!

HONCHO GREGORY
09-27-2011, 07:43 PM
this is not the worst i've heard, but certainly the worst i've seen. I was a table captain at a contest in the early spring. One guy at my table says he loves bbq, but doesn't cook. Just likes to judge. Ok. When all 6 chicken samples are out and the judging commences, this guy starts not just licking his fingers but sticking them into his mouth all the way up to the knuckle and sucking noisily!! Finished of with licking his whole hand. Disgusting! Asked him nicely to stop. He refused. Contest rep kicked him off the table, hopefully forever. To make the story even better; the replacement judge was his wife! Made for a nice day, but at least she had table manners.

nasty,,,

QansasjayhawQ
10-08-2011, 08:18 AM
OK - after judging the open at the American Royal last Sunday - I've got a new one.

Overheard during conversation between two judges . . .

"I've had a stroke and I have three stents."