PDA

View Full Version : Skin

FlyingG
09-09-2011, 05:28 AM
:becky:My skin on my chik is tough or hard chuweeeee plase help I have sprayed with juices during cook time I haved oiled it up and down prior to and during cook time meat is good and tender but skin does not complement the meat lol at this pace I see no Grand or Reserve in my future. My ribbs ok I guess and brisket fair both never last place but my bird well sad lol please any sug. I will try thanks guys

rookiedad
09-09-2011, 07:48 AM
the flying pig at www.bbqbug.com has a good tutorial. basicly, you gotta scrape the fat from the inside of the skin and braise in a pan under fluid to change the texture of the skin before smoking.

FlyingG
09-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks chking site now!

bover
09-09-2011, 08:52 AM
What temp are you cooking the chicken at? Most folks run at least 275 or hotter to keep the skin from getting rubbery.

bbq.tom
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Just from a judge's perspective - skin is NOT required on chicken. I'd rather sample a piece of chicken without skin than one with "less than good" skin. I think that MOST judges will agree. The ONLY requirement regarding skin on chicken, is if the skin is on the chicken it must be tasted. This comes from direction during the judge's meeting and NOT in the KCBS rules.

CMALANGA
09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
The fat scrape has mixed reviews depending on who you talk to, plus it's a real PITA...not that it's not valid...results vary. Most often the right temperature will render the fat (= flavor) and leave the skin "bite through". Generally I cook above 325 degrees (in a WSM or Kettle) to make that happen. I'm far from any type of expert, at all, but it has seemed to work for me on a consistent basis versus lower temps like 275. I'm not familar with cooking the chicken with fluid in a pan, so I can't comment on that, but I'm all ears for better results.

FlyingG
09-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I cook right @ 300 on a 24" X 3' custom around two hrs indirect one hr direct approx. 18" from coals. IBCA rules here in tx require skin om chkn half soo yeah I gota learn it lol thanks for the replys will post status of out come on sat.

Mooner
09-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Just from a judge's perspective - skin is NOT required on chicken. I'd rather sample a piece of chicken without skin than one with "less than good" skin. I think that MOST judges will agree. The ONLY requirement regarding skin on chicken, is if the skin is on the chicken it must be tasted. This comes from direction during the judge's meeting and NOT in the KCBS rules.

So, as a judge if you got a box of thighs that obviously didn't have skin on them would you automatically mark that box down?

I guess what I am trying to say is to me, judges expect pro BBQ. Pro bbq means being able to cook a chicken with skin on and getting that skin to the right consistency.

Personally, I would rather eat a piece of chicken that had no skin and was awesome than to eat a piece of nasty fatty skin :sick:. But does skinless chicken represent professional BBQ?

tdwalker
09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I would not mark down an entry for not having skin.

bbq.tom
09-09-2011, 03:44 PM
So, as a judge if you got a box of thighs that obviously didn't have skin on them would you automatically mark that box down?

I guess what I am trying to say is to me, judges expect pro BBQ. Pro bbq means being able to cook a chicken with skin on and getting that skin to the right consistency.

Personally, I would rather eat a piece of chicken that had no skin and was awesome than to eat a piece of nasty fatty skin :sick:. But does skinless chicken represent professional BBQ?

I would NOT score down on a box of "skinless" thighs just because there was no skin! "Appearance of the MEAT" is stressed when scoring any entry.
It is also stressed NOT to "compare" with ANYTHING you "expect" or with any other entry. Each entry stands on its own merits.

Bam Bam
09-09-2011, 04:23 PM
But technically, a smoke ring on a brisket isn't supposed to affect your score either way, but we all know that it does, at least in the appearance category. I would think chicken thighs would be the same. Of course, turning in skinless thighs can't hurt, Ive been SUCKING in the chicken category. I'll try it next comp and post results.