PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Norwalk BBQ PIT Cancelled September 9,10 &11 2011 Norwalk Ct..

norwalkbbq
09-08-2011, 08:40 AM
The Norwalk BBQ contest is hereby cancelled effective immediately!! there is 5 inches of standing water on field, no vehicles or trailers will be allowed on field so unfortunately we have to cancel. I will personally call each team to advise. Sorry for any inconvenience .......

John Vuoso
Norwalk Exchange Club
203-623-0606

speedrcer1
09-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I just got the email for judges. So sorry to hear. I know how much work you have put into this.

boogiesnap
09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
very unfortunate.

i've been practicing 2 years for this comp.

maybe it can be rescheduled?

you guys have probably been working on setting it up for just as long.

goodsmokebbq
09-08-2011, 09:30 AM
:shocked::sad:

ique
09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Sorry guys... freeze those briskets

bbqdavarrow
09-08-2011, 09:39 AM
WOW! I didn't expect that!

boogiesnap
09-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Sorry guys... freeze those briskets

fark that! i'm cooking and eating the sumb*tch!

BBQ_MAFIA
09-08-2011, 10:11 AM
It's not fair....... I was going to win this one.:becky:

boogiesnap
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
It's not fair....... I was going to win this one.:becky:

ME TOO! :becky:

Diva
09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
5 inches of water.... :rolleyes:. They're still having the festival, but, no contest. Hmmmmm

bbqdavarrow
09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
5 inches of water.... :rolleyes:. They're still having the festival, but, no contest. Hmmmmm
yes, they said because they are responsible to the city for the condition of the field after the event and that it might cost them up to $10K to repair the damage by letting vehicles on the field!

Warthog
09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Just got off the phone and canceled my reservation. Was looking forward to the event. :shock:

norwalkbbq
09-08-2011, 10:38 AM

That is correct if you need an explanation here is my number 203-623-0606 don't "assume"....

John Vuoso
Norwalk Exchange

WineMaster
09-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Sorry to hear your event had to be cancelled. Lots of hard work there.

pigmaker23
09-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I just saw the feild, its underwater and its not even high tide.. NO WAY that it will be dry enough to even walk on Friday let alone park trailers etc. Its very sad but the conditions here would make Harvard look like the desert:-P

WannaBeBBQueen
09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I just saw the feild, its underwater and its not even high tide.. NO WAY that it will be dry enough to even walk on Friday let alone park trailers etc. Its very sad but the conditions here would make Harvard look like the desert:-PI am sad...:sad:

bbqdavarrow
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I just saw the feild, its underwater and its not even high tide.. NO WAY that it will be dry enough to even walk on Friday let alone park trailers etc. Its very sad but the conditions here would make Harvard look like the desert:-P

were you here already for the event?

Cue's Your Daddy
09-08-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/bab/lowres/babn23l.jpg

Sledneck
09-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Norwalk doesn't have a parking lot nearby?

pigmaker23
09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
No, iys just close to myhouse

were you here already for the event?

wickedbbq'r
09-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Total Bummer! This is the only close contest we have for all of are friends and family to come and hang with us. Too bad it could't work out. I am going to have one hell of a spread for the Giants game Sunday.

mclancey
09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Not sure how many of you are close enough to make it work, or how much room they have available, but I was able to get in to The 3rd Annual Southern York County BBQ Cook-Off in Glen Rock PA. www.marketsatshrewsbury.com (http://www.marketsatshrewsbury.com)

Frank Sacco
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Got word this morning, my stomach dropped when I listened to the voicemail. Such a bummer...

Lakeside Smoker
09-08-2011, 04:29 PM
It's a shame they could not find room for us. If you've ever been there you know how HUGE these grounds are. Did this rain effect anything else about the festival? Or is was it just us?

-Mike

CBQ
09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
It's a shame they could not find room for us. If you've ever been there you know how HUGE these grounds are. Did this rain effect anything else about the festival? Or is was it just us?

-Mike

According to the voice mail John left me, it's just the BBQ contest that was cancelled. I am not sure how 50,000 people walking on the field isn't going to do just as much damage, but I guess it's the organizer's call. It's too bad it's so last minute, all the other contests are Fri/Sat contests this weekend, so too late to get in those.

Can I interest anyone in some REALLY BIG American flags? Still in the box. :becky: At least I didn't build a pirate ship for this one.

boogiesnap
09-08-2011, 04:56 PM
farkin fark fark fark.

i'll take a HUGE american flag.

ique
09-08-2011, 05:20 PM
According to the voice mail John left me, it's just the BBQ contest that was cancelled. I am not sure how 50,000 people walking on the field isn't going to do just as much damage, but I guess it's the organizer's call. It's too bad it's so last minute, all the other contests are Fri/Sat contests this weekend, so too late to get in those.

Can I interest anyone in some REALLY BIG American flags? Still in the box. :becky: At least I didn't build a pirate ship for this one.

Assuming there are some folks out there with a whole hog waiting to be cooked too? Lots of $ has already been invested that is difficult to recoup. sorry guys, this sucks.

bmanMA
09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Guess my kid will be dressing up as the statue of liberty this halloween.

Lakeside Smoker
09-08-2011, 05:29 PM
On the bright side: I don't have to trim chicken...

CBQ
09-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I called around and found out there is a non-sanctioned rib contest in Pawtucket, RI this Saturday the 10th. The organizers told us that they originally wanted to have this be a full blown KCBS sanctioned event, but the NEBS folks talked them out of it because it was the same weekend as Norwalk. Oops! :shock:

The contest, as it stands now, is a "celebrity judge" rib event on Saturday with mostly local vendors participating. The organizers did express some interest in getting a few pro teams in there. They are checking to see how many spaces they can free up, and they gave us permission to post on here to gauge interest.

Please PM me or post here if you are interested. We should know by tomorrow morning how many spots they will have, the entry fee, etc. If you already have your ribs, why not go?

The contest pays the first three finishers, $500, $250, and $150.
The organizers are planning to do a full KCBS event next year, so may be a good way to check out the venue. Oh yeah, it's on pavement. No flooding.

The URL is here: http://lilrhodyribfest.com/

Cutoff was supposed to be August 1st, but currently it's ONLY vendors in the contest, and they would love to get a few pro teams in there.

CBQ
09-08-2011, 06:42 PM
John,

You might want to update the http://www.norwalkbbq.com/ web site to reflect the cancellation.

JimmyDAL
09-08-2011, 06:52 PM
When an organizer puts as much as this up front to make this happen for a Charity you have to praise them for being responsible enough to cut bait for themselves and the Charity by which they are raising funds for. I Commend them for this and if it was anyone of you here with your resources you'd do the same! Stop playing Monday morning Qtr back. Not to mention the slips and fall lawsuits. I for one trust their Judgement... " The Perfect Butt"

boogiesnap
09-08-2011, 07:03 PM
When an organizer puts as much as this up front to make this happen for a Charity you have to praise them for being responsible enough to cut bait for themselves and the Charity by which they are raising funds for. I Commend them for this and if it was anyone of you here with your resources you'd do the same! Stop playing Monday morning Qtr back. Not to mention the slips and fall lawsuits. I for one trust their Judgement... " The Perfect Butt"

i think BBQ competitors are "make it happen" type of people, regardless of conditions.

i don't see anyone second guessing the decision the comp can't be on the field, running AC in standing water would well, be just farkin stupid.

but, as a group, failure isn't an option, and i see that sentiment being expressed here.

there REALLY isn't somewhere else we could've been located? maybe yes, maybe no. but in the end, i trust their decision and all the thought they MUST have put into it.

or they're just mad about the chowder PC.

JimmyDAL
09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
How about the cost to repair the feild vs the money given to the Charity. why would you do Anything for a loss unless it's a hobby.

CBQ
09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
How about the cost to repair the feild vs the money given to the Charity. why would you do Anything for a loss unless it's a hobby.

Norwalk has always been a team friendly event, and I am sure the organizers are losing money by calling it off. They have a sunk cost in insurance, advertising, infrastructure, KCBS fees and travel expenses, and (I suspect) a truck of whole hogs. I doubt that they took this decision lightly.

That said, I can also understand why people are asking questions. The Oyster Festival is still being held. The field is OK for 50,000 visitors, 27 bands on two stages, a motocross stunt show, over hundred craft vendors, and a carnival, but it's a safety risk for BBQ?

Let's just hope the BBQ Pit returns next year.

norwalkbbq
09-08-2011, 08:47 PM
i think BBQ competitors are "make it happen" type of people, regardless of conditions.

i don't see anyone second guessing the decision the comp can't be on the field, running AC in standing water would well, be just farkin stupid.

but, as a group, failure isn't an option, and i see that sentiment being expressed here.

there REALLY isn't somewhere else we could've been located? maybe yes, maybe no. but in the end, i trust their decision and all the thought they MUST have put into it.

or they're just mad about the chowder PC.

Yea I am mad about the chowder:crazy:

John Vuoso

203-623-0606

bmanMA
09-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm not. My wife made a pot of it tonight anyhow. First place for sure ;)

Jacked UP BBQ
09-08-2011, 11:09 PM
In bbq you are damned if you do damned if you dont. This is the right call. If they had it you all would be bitching about the flooding. Come on be reasonable.

norwalkbbq
09-09-2011, 05:35 AM
John,

You might want to update the http://www.norwalkbbq.com/ web site to reflect the cancellation.

Web site is updated
John Vuoso
203-623-0606

CBQ
09-09-2011, 06:31 AM

John Vuoso

203-623-0606

Pulled Pork People's Choice 2PM-3PM on Sunday Try it. There wouldn't be much reason to not participate in that. It's a shot at more prize money without a lot of incremental investment, and no risk of throwing out enough food to feed 500 people like last year.

JimmyDAL
09-09-2011, 07:17 AM
We gave all of ours to the Police and firemen to bring back to the stations, just like we did at Harpoon. They always appreciate it. " The Perfect Butt"

Meat@Slim's
09-09-2011, 08:56 AM
John,

Good luck this weekend. I hope you break records in monies raised!

Cannot wait until next year!

Steve

boogiesnap
09-09-2011, 09:02 AM

John Vuoso

203-623-0606

i was only kidding:-P, no offense intended.

best of luck this week-end.

nancee
09-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Norwalk has always been a team friendly event, and I am sure the organizers are losing money by calling it off. They have a sunk cost in insurance, advertising, infrastructure, KCBS fees and travel expenses, and (I suspect) a truck of whole hogs. I doubt that they took this decision lightly.

That said, I can also understand why people are asking questions. The Oyster Festival is still being held. The field is OK for 50,000 visitors, 27 bands on two stages, a motocross stunt show, over hundred craft vendors, and a carnival, but it's a safety risk for BBQ?

Let's just hope the BBQ Pit returns next year.

we cancelled motorcross and there is some other stuff that has had to be rearranged, etc.

bbqdavarrow
09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
i was only kidding:-P, no offense intended.

best of luck this week-end.
I am sure we all took it as humor I thought it was a great line-
I am still laughing:becky:

wickedbbq'r
09-09-2011, 02:25 PM
I think all of the monday morning quarterbacking, second guessing, and assuming comes from a lack of communication in my opinion. It rains almost every year at some point at the oysterfest. When Irene hit, the field was under 3 1/2 feet of water. So, the field has been a problem for two weeks now. If we were notified earlier that there is an issue, we are working on a solution, but we may have to cancel would have gone a long way I think for all of us. I trust their judgement and understand it must have been difficult to cancel. Being a charity event I understand the cutting of the loses like jimmy said. Just keep us in the loop. It's also my opinion that I think it's hard for us to take seeing that the oysterfest is still going on. At most bbq contests we are used to being the main attraction whereas here we are the sideshow. I was really looking foward to being there during the 9-11 ceremony. As part of our site theme we had 2,500 post cards donated to us and we were going to have people write letters to our troops on them and then have them sent overseas. I wish Norwalk best of luck this weekend, this is our favorite contest, and look foward to next year.

motoeric
09-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Hopefully some of the teams that got washed out here can make it to the waterfront event next month or to the rib cook-off in Hicksville next week.

That really sucks for everyone involved.

Eric

CTSmokehouse
09-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Web site is updated
John Vuoso
203-623-0606

Sorry to hear about the cancelation...

Had everything ready to go this evening...

Was going to jump into the Pilot and be there at 7:30 AM tomorrow...

Lucky for us that I asked my wife to do a map quest....and she found out..

A phone call would have been nice...you have our contact info...

I was really disappointed in the lack of communication...

I expect that there will be teams that traveled far to be turned away... Thankfully we are local...

Since you are holding the event without the BBQ the least that you could do is comp admissions for the teams.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BBQchef33
09-09-2011, 11:12 PM
i got a phone call very early yesterday, a followup email shortly after, and then found it posted here, facebook, and on the nebs boards.

can i have your brisket? :)

CTSmokehouse
09-10-2011, 06:31 AM
i got a phone call very early yesterday, a followup email shortly after, and then found it posted here, facebook, and on the nebs boards.

can i have your brisket? :)

Sure!

I have 2 gallons of yummy brisket chili with your name on it!!

Lucky for me I promised my Rotary Club I would do an overnight cook for them next weekend...they are going to get some good Q...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

norwalkbbq
09-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the cancelation...

Had everything ready to go this evening...

Was going to jump into the Pilot and be there at 7:30 AM tomorrow...

Lucky for us that I asked my wife to do a map quest....and she found out..

A phone call would have been nice...you have our contact info...

I was really disappointed in the lack of communication...

I expect that there will be teams that traveled far to be turned away... Thankfully we are local...

Since you are holding the event without the BBQ the least that you could do is comp admissions for the teams.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
I personally called all fifty teams left messages and then we emailed everyone sorry that's not good enough !
The chowder line was funny!Support the Hickville NY comp ,very close by ferry,

John Vuoso

CTSmokehouse
09-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I personally called all fifty teams left messages and then we emailed everyone sorry that's not good enough !
The chowder line was funny!Support the Hickville NY comp ,very close by ferry,

John Vuoso

Disappointed by your response John...

Hoped that you would be more congenial... and show some empathy...

Apparently this team did not get your message or phone call...I personally checked my cell phone record and 24 hour answering service records... no call... no message... and most certainly you did not talk to me personally...

As for the e-mail...

After finding out last night about the cancellation and Phil's post I checked SPAM...

Seems to be sent by someone that I do not recall receiving e-mails from before...e-mail is

not a perfect form of communication... just because you send an e-mail it may not be

opened in a timely manner or for that matter received ...

Subject: Norwalk BBQ Pit event is cancelled.
To: ray@norwalkbbq.com
Date: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 10:35 AM

Teams,

Due to the excessive rain over recent days and weeks, the field conditions are not acceptable to hold the Norwalk BBQ Pit event this weekend. Effective immediately, the event is cancelled. This is unfortunate, but unavoidable.

The Oyster Festival will still be held. If you choose to attend the Oyster Festival that is great, but we will not be providing free admission since we will not be holding the event.

A refund will be processed and completed by 09/12/11.

Any questions please contact me at johnv@norwalkbbq.com

Thanks.

I don't know if it is just me... but my team mates expressed that the message was a bit cold.

I and my team were really looking forward to attending. A tremendous amount of time,

energy and resources goes into preparing for a competition...

To find out that the event is cancelled is disappointing...

In prior posts it was mentioned that the field we were going to compete on was under 3.5

feet of water during Irene...a heads up that field conditions were poor and it may be

necessary to cancel or relocate the event would have been appreciated.

On a happy note, I spent this afternoon sailing on my team mates 47 foot ocean worthy sailboat moored at the Shore and Country Club in view of the Oyster Festival. As we sailed by on a perfectly beautiful September day we saw alot of people having a great time and the empty field by the water that could have been a wonderful BBQ competition...

Sadly, the event did not happen and I noted the signs for The BBQ Pit on the way home...

I wish you well with your fund raiser... the Oyster Festival has been around for a very long time...BBQ is a relatively new addition... as one post put it...a side show...I hope that you will not take my comments negatively... we need a local competition...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

norwalkbbq
09-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Disappointed by your response John...

Hoped that you would be more congenial... and show some empathy...

Apparently this team did not get your message or phone call...I personally checked my cell phone record and 24 hour answering service records... no call... no message... and most certainly you did not talk to me personally...

As for the e-mail...

After finding out last night about the cancellation and Phil's post I checked SPAM...

Seems to be sent by someone that I do not recall receiving e-mails from before...e-mail is

not a perfect form of communication... just because you send an e-mail it may not be

opened in a timely manner or for that matter received ...

Subject: Norwalk BBQ Pit event is cancelled.
To: ray@norwalkbbq.com
Date: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 10:35 AM

Teams,

Due to the excessive rain over recent days and weeks, the field conditions are not acceptable to hold the Norwalk BBQ Pit event this weekend. Effective immediately, the event is cancelled. This is unfortunate, but unavoidable.

The Oyster Festival will still be held. If you choose to attend the Oyster Festival that is great, but we will not be providing free admission since we will not be holding the event.

A refund will be processed and completed by 09/12/11.

Any questions please contact me at johnv@norwalkbbq.com

Thanks.

I don't know if it is just me... but my team mates expressed that the message was a bit cold.

I and my team were really looking forward to attending. A tremendous amount of time,

energy and resources goes into preparing for a competition...

To find out that the event is cancelled is disappointing...

In prior posts it was mentioned that the field we were going to compete on was under 3.5

feet of water during Irene...a heads up that field conditions were poor and it may be

necessary to cancel or relocate the event would have been appreciated.

On a happy note, I spent this afternoon sailing on my team mates 47 foot ocean worthy sailboat moored at the Shore and Country Club in view of the Oyster Festival. As we sailed by on a perfectly beautiful September day we saw alot of people having a great time and the empty field by the water that could have been a wonderful BBQ competition...

Sadly, the event did not happen and I noted the signs for The BBQ Pit on the way home...

I wish you well with your fund raiser... the Oyster Festival has been around for a very long time...BBQ is a relatively new addition... as one post put it...a side show...I hope that you will not take my comments negatively... we need a local competition...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Cliff, as you know, lots of time involved to do this event. Forget the money part.We as a group we're very disappointed in making this decision,however Monday morning quarterbacking states we were right !(safety first) Your comments will not be taken negatively....

John Vuoso
Exchange Club of Norwalk

wickedbbq'r
09-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I spoke to some friends that worked the event this past weekend and they said the mudd and smell was really bad. The good news is, they felt the event still did well. John, I hope you guys did have a successful weekend. I hope the site theme is the same for next year. Here is a link to the local paper from Friday. My daughter brought the postcards to school and they are going to be filled out there. Which is very cool! http://blog.greenwichtime.com/realtime/2011/09/09/greenwich-residents-support-our-troops-at-oyster-fest/

nancee
09-13-2011, 05:40 PM
you know, you guys make me laugh. do you ever see the big picture?
if you really cared you could have been down with us in our rubber boots spreading 250 bales of hay...and I am sure norwalk exchange would have accepted your charitable donation just like they did mine.

I spoke to some friends that worked the event this past weekend and they said the mudd and smell was really bad. The good news is, they felt the event still did well. John, I hope you guys did have a successful weekend. I hope the site theme is the same for next year. Here is a link to the local paper from Friday. My daughter brought the postcards to school and they are going to be filled out there. Which is very cool! http://blog.greenwichtime.com/realtime/2011/09/09/greenwich-residents-support-our-troops-at-oyster-fest/

Jacked UP BBQ
09-13-2011, 07:04 PM
The event was great, the mud was terrible. It was a great call cancelling the comp. Half the units I see at comps would have never made it up the curb. I spread 10 bails of hay just at my vending site. Great Job oyster fest!

YankeeBBQ
09-13-2011, 07:53 PM
you know, you guys make me laugh. do you ever see the big picture?
if you really cared you could have been down with us in our rubber boots spreading 250 bales of hay...and I am sure norwalk exchange would have accepted your charitable donation just like they did mine.

Weren't you the one doing all the beotching before the contest was even cancelled ? I don't recall you praising the organizers.:rain: I don't think you have any credibility on this one. Of course that's just my opinion.