PDA

View Full Version : Heading out to Williamsburg, VA. later this month.

ksace
09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
We have never been to that part of the country before and I plan to bore my wife to death with history stuff. I've always enjoyed history and she has drug me around to all kinds of islands and beaches so this time it's my turn.:clap2:

Anyway, we'll need to eat while we are there so any suggestions for the area would be great. I imagine we'll be driving all over so don't just keep it local to Williamsburg. I have really become a seafood nut over that last year or so and would welcome some fresh seafood also. We'd be open to most anything. But don't forget the BBQ!

Thanks

Gore
09-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Woodbridge MD, just south of DC, has Dixie Bones. Usually, I've had good luck there. I especially like their greens. There's a highway sign at the Woodbridge exit on I-95.

In Williamsburg, I always seem to end up at Pierce's BBQ. It's very popular and usually decent. It's been a long time since I've been. There are a tremendous number of chains in the Williamsburg area and I tend to avoid them. I believe Captain George's is the all-you-can-eat, stuff-your-face mediocre quality seafood place to avoid. I haven't been. As many times as I've been to Williamsburg, you'd think I'd remember what I ate there, but for the most part all my experiences (other than Pierce's) have been forgotten. That doesn't really say much about the food in the area. Williamsburg does have some period restaurants. We ate at one once and the food was good. At the time it was expensive, but you're paying also for the experience. Remember also that Williamsburg is privately owned and much of it can be seen without an entrance fee, so I don't mind paying a bit extra for a meal as I figure it is part of the cost of admission and these people need support too. Also, as far as sightseeing goes, I enjoyed Williamsburg, but also really enjoyed Yorktown.

ksace
09-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I really hate hitting any kind of chain when traveling if I can avoid it. As for buffets, I've never really enjoyed them but I'll look for the other places you mention.

I never realized Williamsburg was private, and I'm looking forward to Yorktown also.

Saucy Butt's
09-09-2011, 09:34 AM
You can try Q Barbeque. They have a place in Richmond and Hampton. This is Tuffy Stone's place. Food was not bad.