PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Jack Daniel's Road Trip Thread...

JD McGee
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
When ya leavin', how ya goin', when ya gettin' thar, and where ya stayin'...gotta practice my lazy lip for all my Tennessee kinfolk that will be invadin' our camp lookin' for free vittles. Lol!

We're buggin' out the Saturday before and driving the 90 from Duvall...pullin' in to Tullahoma on Wednesday evening and staying at the Holiday Inn Express. We're heading ack home the following Monday...not sure what route yet...depends on the weather. Safe travels everyone!

Fatback Joe
09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
No details worked out yet, but look forward to meeting you there. :becky:

atvalaska
09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Our road trip consist of a 16 hour/3700 mile plane ride:scared: to Huntsville Alabama, hop in a RV/rental....run around town picking up last minute items /good places to eat some local foods an sites.... then hitting the Jack and bbqing our butts off ...... after its all over we headed to the big race with Nascar @ :hail:Talladega Sunday afternoon oh yea! rednecks every where!:dancer:

Jeff_in_KC
09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Leaving the Kansas City area on Tuesday late afternoon on the 625 mile trip to Lynchburg! Going to Paducah, Kentucky the first night (reservations made) then rolling into Lynchburg around noon on Wednesday. Hopefully they'll let us set up at least canopies and drop the smoker trailer. Then Wednesday and Thursday night, staying in Tullahoma as well. Friday night, we are THERE on site, baybeee!!! No hotels at any other comp (ok two but only because one was AT a hotel and the other was 1 billion degrees!)! Not changing a thing! Roughin' it in the van - if'n I can even sleep at all!

JD McGee
09-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Leaving the Kansas City area on Tuesday late afternoon on the 625 mile trip to Lynchburg! Going to Paducah, Kentucky the first night (reservations made) then rolling into Lynchburg around noon on Wednesday. Hopefully they'll let us set up at least canopies and drop the smoker trailer. Then Wednesday and Thursday night, staying in Tullahoma as well. Friday night, we are THERE on site, baybeee!!! No hotels at any other comp (ok two but only because one was AT a hotel and the other was 1 billion degrees!)! Not changing a thing! Roughin' it in the van - if'n I can even sleep at all!

I used to pull on site all-nighters cookin' low-n-slow...but now I get to sleep in...;o)...safe travels...see ya there!

Slamdunkpro
09-07-2011, 05:19 PM
I think we're heading out Tuesday, for a straight thru shot, arriving in Tullahoma late that night.

Brew-B-Q
09-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I was planning on arriving Thursday and staying on the grounds instead of getting a hotel. Hopefully that's allowed.

Gerrit_Boys
09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Is it better to get there earlier? We were kinda planning on arriving on Thursday afternoon. I'll leave earlier though. Is there power there?

ModelMaker
09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I was hoping to do my 30th at the Jack, even started trying to get in before last years event. But alas they have rejected my offer in favor of some local upidy up.
I don't know how you can crown a "World Champion" using politicians and local dignitarys for judges.
Enough sour grapes, guess I'll go to the Royal instead.
Ed

JD McGee
09-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I was planning on arriving Thursday and staying on the grounds instead of getting a hotel. Hopefully that's allowed.

Yep...it's allowed...lot's of campers there...:becky:

Is it better to get there earlier? We were kinda planning on arriving on Thursday afternoon. I'll leave earlier though. Is there power there?

Yes...there is power...ya just have to get near a lightpole that has it working. Last year there was a bit of an issue with not enough working outlets near our camp...hopefully they have it squared away this year.

Vince RnQ
09-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Is there power there?

If you want/need the guarantee of electricity, bring it for yourself as it is not available in all spaces.

moocow
09-07-2011, 09:53 PM
We did not have power last year and had to run the generators all week. It was not a problem, just be prepared!

Diva Q
09-07-2011, 10:11 PM
We are leaving on Tuesday pulling into Nashville to pick up the RV and then to the Holiday Inn Express in Tullahoma on Wednesday. Safe travels to everyone. Half our team is staying onsite and the other half back at the hotel..

sitnfat
09-07-2011, 11:26 PM
We ain't got a lazy lip. We just take our time talkin!:becky:

Jeff_in_KC
09-08-2011, 02:52 AM
No power??? :shock: Uh Oh...

esselle
09-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Sounds like we've got an easy trip in comparison. 8 1/2 hour flight to Washington, 1 3/4 hour flight to Nashville. Get there Monday, then hire car to Tullahoma on the Thursday. Stay til Monday then back to Nashville for the trip back. Can't wait to see old friends and make some new ones. Safe trip y'all.

ique
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM

There is power, definitely not super dependable tho.

All we need is a clip on light so we can find our pile of hickory. :)

ique
09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Leaving Boston Wednesday AM and hope to roll into Lynchburg Noon on Thursday. Have rooms at the HIE in Tullahoma. We are usually setup around the racetrack.

smknwhlswife
09-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I think we will be there sometime Thursday. Hopefully in the morning. I have a feeling we will be driving straight through.

Jeff_in_KC
09-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Leaving Boston Wednesday AM and hope to roll into Lynchburg Noon on Thursday. Have rooms at the HIE in Tullahoma. We are usually setup around the racetrack.

Hey Chris, how do they assign spots? Do return teams usually get their spaces back the next year? Thanks!

QN
09-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey Chris, how do they assign spots? Do return teams usually get their spaces back the next year? Thanks!

A lot depends on the information you provided on the form you filled out about the size of your smoker and if you have a RV. The Jack is held in a small city park; it is not a RV park. You can usually get water, but power is limited. I have worked at The Jack for the last 8 years parking teams and doing meat inspection. We do the best we can with what we have there. If it rains you may have a waterfront site; ask Ique about their move to higher ground a couple of years ago... If you get there and do not want the site assigned for you there is usually the option of going to be back lot where Sledneck ended up when he was there. Also, if you think you want a porta pottie at your site, please order it in advance on the form you receive. There are always a few who come up at the last minute wanting a porta pottie, but it is much easier for everyone if you order them in advance; they have to be hauled in just for the weekend.

JD McGee
09-08-2011, 10:23 AM
We ain't got a lazy lip. We just take our time talkin!:becky:

Lol...my wife freaks out whenever I drop in to my Tennessee drawl...for some reason it just comes natural when I'm home!

ique
09-08-2011, 10:33 AM

As Mark says depends on your rig... but also if you want to be a particular spot just ask the Jack folks real nice and they will do their best

U2CANQUE
09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Leaving Fayetteville on Wednesday, picking up a trailer from Bob from 2 Old Men and a grill....and driving until I cannot drive any more, then getting in Thursday morning....looking forward to the journey....but, more looking forward to the trip

WannaBeBBQueen
09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Leaving Wednesday night probably driving straight through arriving Thursday morning. Staying at the HIE in Tullahoma...can't wait see everyone soon!!

Scottie
09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
I was hoping to do my 30th at the Jack, even started trying to get in before last years event. But alas they have rejected my offer in favor of some local upidy up.
I don't know how you can crown a "World Champion" using politicians and local dignitarys for judges.
Enough sour grapes, guess I'll go to the Royal instead.
Ed

Honestly, there are many times I would rathervhave the local upidy ups than having Master Judges with attitudes. Not directed entirely at you. But i dont know how that is more fair to the cooks? Because one is a CBJ or MCBJ does not make them a good judge. And you can have my spot at the judging table. I wont do it until i retire.

moocow
09-08-2011, 01:54 PM
We were at fhe far end on the other side of the horse track. We needed a bigger spot because of the camper and comp trailer. They were very accommodating!

Bigdog
09-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Honestly, there are many times I would rathervhave the local upidy ups than having Master Judges with attitudes. Not directed entirely at you. But i dont know how that is more fair to the cooks? Because one is a CBJ or MCBJ does not make them a good judge. And you can have my spot at the judging table. I wont do it until i retire.

Wow, kinda harsh there Scottie, but I can see both sides. MM wants to get his master cert. and judge the world's best BBQ. His assumption, which Scottie questions, is that a CBJ or esp. a MCBJ should be the best judge. I say that there is something wrong with the system if that is not true. Many contests even brag that they are 100% CBJ.

But I certainly agree with Scottie that the worst kind of judge is a know-it-all with an attitude, esp. if they are a MCBJ. I only know one MCBJ, Rookie48, and he is a good guy, albeit a farker. :heh:

BOT: Good luck to all and here's to getting the table with good, fair judges.:thumb:

HoDeDo
09-08-2011, 02:45 PM
We're putting the band back together!!!! I'll have the same crew as last year, and we'll be looking to have alot of fun :) I just hope the Polocks don't run thier flag to the top of the flagpole again, it was all we could to do to keep the Gator from trying to run a "black op" (under the invisibility cloak of Gentleman Jack) and steal their flag and replace it with the good old stars and stripes. LOL Jorge and Bruce were on double secret gator watch all weekend.

Jorge
09-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Drop the $20 at Wild Bill's soda stand for the double walled stainless mug. It does a great job keeping cold things cold, and it isn't a red solo cup;)

The $20 gets you unlimited refills, and the orange soda and root beer are both great. It's a bargain. Just don't wait too long, they ran out of the double wall on Sat. after the public got there. If you attended the KCBS banquet this year you got the single wall in your goodie bag.

musicmanryann
09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Drop the $20 at Wild Bill's soda stand for the double walled stainless mug. It does a great job keeping cold things cold, and it isn't a red solo cup;)

The $20 gets you unlimited refills, and the orange soda and root beer are both great. It's a bargain. Just don't wait too long, they ran out of the double wall on Sat. after the public got there. If you attended the KCBS banquet this year you got the single wall in your goodie bag.

Yep, and they make great souvenirs as well--they have the official Jack World Championship of BBQ logo on them and everything. We use ours daily. :thumb:

JD McGee
09-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Yessir...but a word of caution...if you are allergic to bees send someone else for your re-fills...

Arlin_MacRae
09-08-2011, 05:12 PM
We're putting the band back together!!!! I'll have the same crew as last year, and we'll be looking to have alot of fun :) I just hope the Polocks don't run thier flag to the top of the flagpole again, it was all we could to do to keep the Gator from trying to run a "black op" (under the invisibility cloak of Gentleman Jack) and steal their flag and replace it with the good old stars and stripes. LOL Jorge and Bruce were on double secret gator watch all weekend.

You gave me flashbacks to last year!! :laugh: The Flying Wedge turn-in blocking team, Gator's Polock crusade, first place in pork... :boxing: Woo-hoooo!!!!

Bigdog
09-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Sage advice from the 'ole sharp shooter. :thumb:

JD McGee
10-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Bump...gettin' closer...t-minus seven days till road trip! :becky:

Bbq Bubba
10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Makin the trip to hang with my brothers (& sisters).
Coming in late Thur. Prolly crash on site. Lookin for 2 seats for Mary Bo Bos if anybody needs company. :thumb:

Alexa RnQ
10-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Restocking the spice box and making sauce today. We'll be leaving early this Wednesday, we're making a little stop in Bentonville on the way.

Captain P.J.
10-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Leaving Wednesday morning (with Buzz of "2 Fat Bikers BBQ") and getting there Thursday sometime. My first time there and can't wait to meet lots of new friends!!

Andrews
10-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Makin the trip to hang with my brothers (& sisters).
Coming in late Thur. Prolly crash on site. Lookin for 2 seats for Mary Bo Bos if anybody needs company. :thumb:

We may have a couple of seats for Thursday 1:00 seating. PM me if Thursday works for you.

Andrews
10-08-2011, 12:07 AM
We are leaving California on Saturday with a little side trip to Elgin, TX for some sausage.

Frankbbq
10-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Getting in Thursday .
Southside, in Elgin, has mixed reviews on it's sausage. I rated it the worst thing that I've eaten in the Austin area. There are much better places near Austin, Louie Mueller's, etc

Andrews
10-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Getting in Thursday .
Southside, in Elgin, has mixed reviews on it's sausage. I rated it the worst thing that I've eaten in the Austin area. There are much better places near Austin, Louie Mueller's, etc

Thanks for the tip, How does Myers sausage rate?

ALX
10-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Our road trip consist of a 16 hour/3700 mile plane ride:scared: to Huntsville Alabama, hop in a RV/rental....run around town picking up last minute items /good places to eat some local foods an sites.... then hitting the Jack and bbqing our butts off ...... after its all over we headed to the big race with Nascar @ :hail:Talladega Sunday afternoon oh yea! rednecks every where!:dancer:

dont get too cocky.....I might just modify one your smokers we are bringing...LOL...HeHEEEEEE

Jeff_in_KC
10-09-2011, 10:29 AM
OK we got a big catering job behind us. Also a three day garage sale and a double dose of the American Royal. Yesterday, we tuned up for the Jack with a reserve grand in Golden City, MO and now... NOTHING between us and the Jack!!! Nine days until we head southeast! Plenty to do to get ready though. Those nine days will fly by.

4 smokin butts
10-09-2011, 10:39 AM
know the feeling,finally got that gc in st louis yesterday, its been a long journey,nice tune up for the jack,leaving tues next week,hoping for great weather :clap2:

Slamdunkpro
10-11-2011, 09:47 AM
7 days to go!

Jorge
10-11-2011, 10:25 AM
7 days to go!

Are you going to have that new slicer there?:becky: I got a quick look at it, at the Royal and would like to take a closer look if possible.

Jeff_in_KC
10-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Yep! Seven days and five hours til we are on the road!

atvalaska
10-11-2011, 10:42 AM
dont get too cocky.....i might just modify one your smokers we are bringing...lol...heheeeeee
beer's to ya!!! Lol

bbqbull
10-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Safe travels and good luck.

JD McGee
10-11-2011, 01:29 PM
4 days before we bug out...the comp trailer is ready to roll...just have to make up the rubs and sauces on Friday...woohoo!

pigmaker23
10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Leaving Sunday for a nice pre trip to Dollywood/Pigeon Forge/Nashville prior to arriving in Mecca.. See everybody soon

LostNation
10-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Seems like my teammate Jeff and I will be going down in support of the Fat Angel team. Looking forward to getting back, should be down on Thursday.

ique
10-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Route question. Last year we came in from the south following our Nav. It had us exit off of 24 along a route that was very hilly and not ideal for pulling a trailer.

What is the best exit to take off of 24 to head into Lynchburg?

ique
10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Seems like my teammate Jeff and I will be going down in support of the Fat Angel team. Looking forward to getting back, should be down on Thursday.

:clap2: Nice Rich, looking forward to catching up

Brew-B-Q
10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
We should arrive early on Thursday. Hoping to get set up and take tour in the AM, and then we have dinner at Miss Mary's scheduled for 3 pm. Looking forward to meeting many of you.

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Miss Mary Bobo's is obviously a popular deal and rightfully so! The place is AWESOME! In 2009, I sat next to Chris at lunch there the day before he was crowned world champion! :clap2: Who would like to pay for my lunch to have me sit next to them for good luck this year? :becky:

Hang on... maybe me sitting next to my wife will bring her/us good luck! :heh:

ique
10-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Miss Mary Bobo's is obviously a popular deal and rightfully so! The place is AWESOME! In 2009, I sat next to Chris at lunch there the day before he was crowned world champion! :clap2: Who would like to pay for my lunch to have me sit next to them for good luck this year? :becky:

Hang on... maybe me sitting next to my wife will bring her/us good luck! :heh:

I have a seat for you and your wife Jeff, I'm paying!

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2011, 10:24 AM
I have a seat for you and your wife Jeff, I'm paying!

We BBQ cooks are creatures of habit and superstition, aren't we, Chris? :thumb: When is your reservation? Are you still in Steph's group? We are at 11 AM Friday.

ique
10-12-2011, 10:37 AM
We BBQ cooks are creatures of habit and superstition, aren't we, Chris? :thumb: When is your reservation? Are you still in Steph's group? We are at 11 AM Friday.

Yup!

I'll be there at 11 too. I have a couple extra spots in my reso.

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Yup!

I'll be there at 11 too. I have a couple extra spots in my reso.

I'll see you there! However, we've been invited to be in with Steph again and have already paid. I'm honored by your invite though. Thank you!

JD McGee
10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Route question. Last year we came in from the south following our Nav. It had us exit off of 24 along a route that was very hilly and not ideal for pulling a trailer.

Not sure the exit # but the exit in Manchester is about 30 miles east of Lynchburg off I-24...the road will take you through the town of Manchester and Tullahoma but it's not very hilly...kinda windy though...safe travels...see you there!

Scottie
10-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Exit Murfreesboro to Shelbyville. then i think it's 82 to 50. Which lets you out right by the high school. Beautiful countryside and i can handle it in the RV. Manchester takes you too far east.

JD McGee
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Yup...tru-dat Scottie...I was thinking quickest route...mostly interstate instead of 2 lane.

Svenmac
10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I noticed Paducah Ky in a earlier post, I am in Paducah close to the interstate exit 16. If any brethern is having any troubles or need info on garages, gas stations, restuarants, etc... dont be afraid to ask. My name wasnt drawn but I plan to run down on Saturday.

Good luck to all brethern

Eric McDowell
Team Q2NV

smknwhlswife
10-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Anyone know a good place to fill the camper with water on the way down? I think we filled at a gas station in front of Walmart.

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
I noticed Paducah Ky in a earlier post, I am in Paducah close to the interstate exit 16. If any brethern is having any troubles or need info on garages, gas stations, restuarants, etc... dont be afraid to ask. My name wasnt drawn but I plan to run down on Saturday.

Good luck to all brethern

Eric McDowell
Team Q2NV

Eric, that was probably me - should be in Paducah around 11 PM next Tuesday night and out by 8:30 AM the next morning. Appreciate the offer and if we have any kind of issues, I'll let ya know. Thanks!

Andrews
10-12-2011, 11:20 PM
We have a couple of extra seats at Ms. Bobo's if anyone is interested. seating is for 1:00pm on Thursday.

PM me here and I'll get back to you.

Svenmac
10-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Thats what Brethern are for.

smknwhlswife
10-13-2011, 08:53 AM
We will be staying in Paducah on Wednesday night. Thanks for the offer! Hoping to be pulling in around 10pm. Just depends how early Andy can leave town.

Scottie
10-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Anyone know a good place to fill the camper with water on the way down? I think we filled at a gas station in front of Walmart.

Cant you fill up once you hit the park?

JD McGee
10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
We thought we would have to delay our trip due to Rhana's Grandmother's passing yesterday...but Gram chose to be cremated with no service. WCQ will be leaving on time Saturday am with a heavy heart...we're cookin' the Jack for Gram Barbara!

jswordy
10-13-2011, 10:28 AM
I'll get in the car, drive 30 miles and be there! :-P Looking forward to it.

UNDER EDIT: Bring your umbrellas...long-range forecast is for showers Saturday and 70-degree temps. Hope the showers part changes!

Jeff_in_KC
10-13-2011, 01:20 PM
We thought we would have to delay our trip due to Rhana's Grandmother's passing yesterday...but Gram chose to be cremated with no service. WCQ will be leaving on time Saturday am with a heavy heart...we're cookin' the Jack for Gram Barbara!

So sorry for your family's loss.

JD McGee
10-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks Jeff...this has been expected for a long time...we're glad she is finally at peace. Safe travels...we'll see ya there...so far the weather on our route is lookin' good.
JD

Diva
10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

You're best shot would be to have your gps take you to Tullahoma first, then go to Lynchburg.

The hilly road off of 24 goes through Shelbyville.

Diva
10-13-2011, 02:27 PM
We will be staying in Paducah on Wednesday night. Thanks for the offer! Hoping to be pulling in around 10pm. Just depends how early Andy can leave town.

We're going to stay in Hopkinsville, KY Wednesday night. Sounds like we're leaving around the same time :-D

Svenmac
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Any particular reason you are staying in Hopkinsville?

Its 15 miles off the interstate and pretty rough in some spots At the same exit as Hopkinsville you have Cadiz that has a few motels restuarants and its right off the interstate.

Jorge
10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Planning to leave DFW Wed. around noon, but probably later, and spend the night in Memphis and then take the southern route up. If the weather is nice it's a beautiful drive with the top down .....on the car! Happy to share info about construction or gas prices with anyone that may be behind me. Shoot me a PM for contact info if needed.

blues_n_cues
10-14-2011, 03:54 AM
just waiting. hope to meat a few brethren down there.

Crash
10-14-2011, 03:57 AM

Thoughts and prayers sent. Best of luck at the Jack!

Cack
10-14-2011, 05:48 AM
What is the Jack Daniel's Road Trip? I better hide this thread, or else my G/F will want to go (Yes, my G/F loves her brown liquor, but JD is all she'll have)

Diva
10-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Any particular reason you are staying in Hopkinsville?

Its 15 miles off the interstate and pretty rough in some spots At the same exit as Hopkinsville you have Cadiz that has a few motels restuarants and its right off the interstate.

I can get a discounted room at a nice hotel for $39....

Rick Hamilton
10-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Will be getting into the Manchester KOA on Wednesday late afternoon. Who else will be there?

JD McGee
10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Less than 24 hours till we bug out...GAWD this workday is taking forever! Lol!

Frankbbq
10-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Chris,
I-24 south from Nashville, take Exit 111 or 112 onto State 55 to Manchester. It is much easier than going the two lane route from Nashville.

Jeff_in_KC
10-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Less than 24 hours till we bug out...GAWD this workday is taking forever! Lol!

Glad we don't have to leave that early! LOL! Tuesday afternoon is pushing it to get everything done anyway. :shocked:

JD McGee
10-14-2011, 08:52 PM
What is the Jack Daniel's Road Trip? I better hide this thread, or else my G/F will want to go (Yes, my G/F loves her brown liquor, but JD is all she'll have)

Cack...the road trip thread is for folks competing in (or going to visit) the Jack Daniel's World Invitational BBQ Competition in Lynchburg, TN :thumb:

OutlawSwine
10-14-2011, 11:00 PM
I won't be able to make it to The Jack, but wanted to tell everyone that's competing or visiting......Good Luck and have safe travels. I'm jealous of you all!! :-D

Andrews
10-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Leaving in six hours... Wooo Hooo...
Stopping for an extra day in Texas for some good times in Austin.

The Green Monster is ready to roll!!

GreenDrake
10-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Man you guys make me jealous. Good luck to all of ya.

leanza
10-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Best wishes to all you Brethren. Enjoy the time.

JD McGee
10-15-2011, 10:24 PM
WCQ is east bound and down! Overnighting in Missoula, MT...next stop...Gillette, WY...so far the drive and the weather is awesome!

bbqbull
10-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Safe travels and good luck to all my Brethren brothers and sisters!

esselle
10-16-2011, 01:09 AM
8 hours and our journey begins with a taxi to heathrow

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
We're leaving Wednesday morning from Omaha. 14 hour drive so we will be arriving late wed night. Got a cabin rented and will show up onsite on thursday. See you all down there.

Gerrit_Boys
10-16-2011, 05:55 PM
We're leaving Wednesday morning from Omaha. 14 hour drive so we will be arriving late wed night. Got a cabin rented and will show up onsite on thursday. See you all down there.

Have you heard if I-29 is open to KC now?

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
10-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I beleive it has reopened, but will research it tomoorow.

JD McGee
10-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Whew...tough drive today...rain most of the way from Missoula, MT to Gillette, WY...last 3 hours were in a dark downpour...actually hydroplaned a couple of times...white knuckled it to our hotel. Time for a shot or two of nerve tonic...aka...Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. Next stop Sioux Falls, SD...:cool:

Jeff_in_KC
10-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Big Creek BBQ hits the road in less than 48 hours! Almost ready!

Jeff_in_KC
10-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Have you heard if I-29 is open to KC now?

Yep, it's open according to the news in KC.

Fatback Joe
10-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Trailer finally packed and head out first thing Wednesday moring.

Drive safe everyone.

Ron_L
10-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Drive or fly safely everyone! If anyone's schedule has them in the Chicago area overnight or even around lunch time let me know and if I'm available maybe we can meet.

Arlin_MacRae
10-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Whew...tough drive today...rain most of the way from Missoula, MT to Gillette, WY...last 3 hours were in a dark downpour...actually hydroplaned a couple of times...white knuckled it to our hotel. Time for a shot or two of nerve tonic...aka...Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. Next stop Sioux Falls, SD...:cool:
Keep it between the ditches, JD, and we'll see you in Lynchburg!!

atvalaska
10-17-2011, 11:07 AM
all check'in at airport !!!

ALX
10-17-2011, 11:32 AM
all check'in at airport !!!

I cleaned the WSM'S saturday sis,bil are bringing for you again this year...Best of my knowledge they havent been used since last year and you had a heck of a fine placing(top 15 if i remember)...

we will be their thursday in late morning.....:thumb:

jswordy
10-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Latest Saturday forecast is sunny and 65! Perfect! Nights are gonna be a little chilly, 32-35 degrees.

CBQ
10-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I was thinking of visiting the Jack to check it out. Are they open to the public on Friday, or just Saturday? Any suggestions for non-competitors visiting?

With our first GC behind us, with a little luck we will be there in 2012 to compete, but for now I want to watch the Brethren win. :-D

Jorge
10-17-2011, 05:06 PM
I was thinking of visiting the Jack to check it out. Are they open to the public on Friday, or just Saturday? Any suggestions for non-competitors visiting?

With our first GC behind us, with a little luck we will be there in 2012 to compete, but for now I want to watch the Brethren win. :-D

Based on past history you may be spending the night as far away as Nashville. Finding a place to park on Friday will start getting difficult on Friday once the teams are settled in. That being said I visited with a few folks on Friday that were visiting or promoting contests. If you have the time, work in a tour of the distillery and ask if David Roper is available as the guide. We got that tip last year, and I'm glad we listened. He does a fantastic job. Take some time to check out the square and some of the stores.

I've said that the Royal is my favorite contest for various reasons, and that hasn't changed...but after last year the Jack is in the conversation.

pigmaker23
10-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Come on down, you can hang with the NEBS Crew, Saturday is crazy with turn ins Friday is a better day, parade, parties etc, hope to see y

Red Valley BBQ
10-17-2011, 06:44 PM
The wife and I are heading out Thursday evening. Not competing, just visiting several friends that are. If anyone has a couple of reservation vacancies available at Miss Mary Bobo's, I know a couple of first time Jack attendees that would jump at the chance to attend. Just PM me the details. Looking forward to seeing some of my fellow Brethren and perhaps meeting a few new ones.

CBQ
10-17-2011, 07:11 PM
The wife and I are heading out Thursday evening. Not competing, just visiting several friends that are. If anyone has a couple of reservation vacancies available at Miss Mary Bobo's, I know a couple of first time Jack attendees that would jump at the chance to attend. Just PM me the details. Looking forward to seeing some of my fellow Brethren and perhaps meeting a few new ones.

LOL, same here. I am assuming not, but if anyone does, PM me.

Jeff_in_KC
10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Remember, for all you folks who are saying you can't be there, check out www.WiredBBQ.com (http://www.WiredBBQ.com) for live coverage on the Web starting late Friday afternoon and continuing on Saturday, including the awards ceremony at 5 PM Central!

Pigs on Fire
10-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Chris,

You probably need to take the Highway 55 exit in Manchester, TN. Head south on Hwy 55 and the signs will get you there. There's some weaving and turning in Tullahoma, but best I can remember, it's relatively flat.

Diva
10-18-2011, 08:29 AM
I let go of 13 reservations for Mary Bobo's on Monday (only needed 12 this year). They are for Friday at 11 am seating. Give them a call and see if they're still available. 931-759-6158

blues_n_cues
10-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Based on past history you may be spending the night as far away as Nashville. Finding a place to park on Friday will start getting difficult on Friday once the teams are settled in. That being said I visited with a few folks on Friday that were visiting or promoting contests. If you have the time, work in a tour of the distillery and ask if David Roper is available as the guide. We got that tip last year, and I'm glad we listened. He does a fantastic job. Take some time to check out the square and some of the stores.

I've said that the Royal is my favorite contest for various reasons, and that hasn't changed...but after last year the Jack is in the conversation.

usually people that live w/in a few blocks use their backyards for parking. $5.00 per car. we usually park w/in a block of the square-don't waste time parking @ the high school & riding the bus.

ique
10-18-2011, 09:18 AM
tick-tock, tick-tock. hitting the road at dawn tomorrow :-D

Scottie
10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
tick-tock, tick-tock. hitting the road at dawn tomorrow :-D

Good luck IQUE!!! Make history Chris.

Jeff_in_KC
10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Four and a half hours til we are on the road!

Diva
10-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Four and a half hours til we are on the road!

Don't forget the Damn Dip pan!!!

Jeff_in_KC
10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Off on the trip of a lifetime! Outta here! Paducah, Kentucky tonight with a stop in Columbia at Spicewine! See y'all there! Travel safe!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Steph... got the damned damn dip pan! LOL!!!

bbqbull
10-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Safe travels and good luck my Brethren friends!

luckyduk
10-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Heading out 25 hours from now!!!
Safe travels everyone!
More work getting ready for this one contest than the double at the Royal!!
See you in Lynchburg

pat
10-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Heading out 25 hours from now!!!
Safe travels everyone!
More work getting ready for this one contest than the double at the Royal!!
See you in Lynchburg

Hoping to be on the road by 1:00 tomorrow...maybe I can beat ya there :becky:

Exe-que-tioner
10-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Off on the trip of a lifetime! Outta here! Paducah, Kentucky tonight with a stop in Columbia at Spicewine! See y'all there! Travel safe!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Steph... got the damned damn dip pan! LOL!!!

Saw you this afternoon in the big metropolis of Grain Valley, Mo. pulling the Spicewine.....looked like you were getting ready to head east on I-70 to Columbia, Mo. This was around 4:00pm. Honked and gave a "good luck" wave. You didn't see it, but wish you luck and have fun Big Creek BBQ! :thumb:

JD McGee
10-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Good morning Jack travellers...Wine Country "Q" is in Columbia, MO where we rested overnight. Had a great visit with my niece and her family last night at TGIF's. Heading out to Tennessee after breakfast to rendesvous with Piggy D's BBQ in Tullahoma for a few beers and swap a few lies! Safe travels everyone!
JD

Slamdunkpro
10-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Just arrived, sitting in the hotel watching the rain come down - temps are in the 30's:shocked:

esselle
10-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Just arrived, sitting in the hotel watching the rain come down - temps are in the 30's:shocked:

You missed the nice weather yesterday in the 70's

Andrews
10-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Sitting in a hotel in Murfreesboro, the pit was damged in transit, hoping we can fix it on site.

Wish the darn rain would quit...

If you see a Big Green Monster rolling down the freeway, honk!

Safe travels everyone!

Brewer
10-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Sitting here in Tullahoma watching the same rain... The next few days are looking great though... mid 60s and sunny. I'll keep my fingers crossed and my shot glass full :becky:

FamilyManBBQ
10-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Sitting here in Tullahoma watching the same rain... The next few days are looking great though... mid 60s and sunny. I'll keep my fingers crossed and my shot glass full :becky:

I dunno Phil...a little rain, just a little bit of home for you PNWBA teams...kinda like having a piece of the Pacific Northwest with you....

Good luck. brother...with the cooks, and with keeping that shot glass full!!

JD McGee
10-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Arrived safe and sound at our hotel in Tullahoma, TN...met a few teams hangin' out in the breakfast room before hitting the sack. Up early this morning to drop off the trailer on-site then hit Mary Bobo's for lunch and a stroll through the square to the Barrel Shop to pick up our barrel head and a few t-shirts. Weather is a bit chilly and breezy...but the rain has stopped...knock on wood! :-P

Smokesman
10-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Hey all - I've enjoyed reading through this thread this morning - love road trips and all the great places to visit along the way - one of my favorite parts of competitive BBQ. For those of you still en-route safe travels and good luck to all this weekend. Hope to join in the fun sometime soon!

Big George's BBQ
10-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Good Luck everyone Would love to be there

Bbq Bubba
10-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, im probably the last one to get on the road but headed out shortly. Going to support some Brethren and just take in all that is "The Jack"! :thumb:

blues_n_cues
10-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Well, im probably the last one to get on the road but headed out shortly. Going to support some Brethren and just take in all that is "The Jack"! :thumb:
cool that ya get to make it bubba. see ya there.:thumb:

JD McGee
10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Good morning Brethren...busy day yesterday getting our camp set up. Ran in to a few brothers and sisters around town and on-site...looking forward to meeting a few more today when we walk around to get our barrel head signed. Special shout out to Slamdunkpro (Mike) for stopping by to say hello and drop off one of his new brisket slicers for me to test drive...pics and a full review to come...thanks brother! :thumb:

Back on site this morning for team check-in, meat inspection, meat preps, cooks meeting, meetin'-n-greetin', team parade, and dinner on BBQ Hill. Be sure to stop by our camp and taste some of Steph's "Simply Marvelous" Rubs...we have the whole line-up...:becky:

See ya at The Jack!

JD

CaptTable
10-21-2011, 08:02 AM
JD,

Great seeing you guys yesterday. Kathy gets so thrilled talking Seattle and the Mariners. Hope you had a good night and will probably see you guys later this afternoon.

Philiip

JD McGee
10-21-2011, 09:28 PM
JD,

Great seeing you guys yesterday. Kathy gets so thrilled talking Seattle and the Mariners. Hope you had a good night and will probably see you guys later this afternoon.

Philiip

Same here Philip...tell Kathy she out-did herself on the goodie box...I am munching on some of the herbed oyster crackers as I type...they're awesome! :thumb: Stop by tomorrow after 2pm and we'll feed ya some bbq...:-P

Wow...this is turning out to be a BBQ Brethren Jack Daniel's event...seriously. We have met so many here this weekend and especially today that I'll never remember all your "real" names...lol! Good luck tomorrow brothers and sisters! :becky:

I'll get some pics up asap...oh yeah...Jorge looks a LOT different in his street clothes! :twisted: Just sayin...

FamilyManBBQ
10-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Glad to hear you two are havin' fun JD!! Get some sleep tonight guys...I know you'll be up early doin' what you do!!

And yes, wanna see those pics!!

Good luck WCQ!

Phubar
10-22-2011, 09:35 AM
If you guys got time please search up our Belgian and Dutch Brothers who are there as well.

Have Phun McG.!

Scottie
10-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Got to stop by late night yesterday, on our way to GA, for a few hours and wish a bunch of teams good luck.

FamilyManBBQ
10-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Have Phun McG.!

Indeed!! 29th...pretty darn AWESOME JD!! You and "Tastebud" sure done good!! :-D

...cant wait for that hot n fast cooking class!!

blues_n_cues
10-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Wow...this is turning out to be a BBQ Brethren Jack Daniel's event...seriously. We have met so many here this weekend and especially today that I'll never remember all your "real" names...lol! Good luck tomorrow brothers and sisters! :becky:

I'll get some pics up asap...oh yeah...Jorge looks a LOT different in his street clothes! :twisted: Just sayin...

more people shoulda been flying the brethren colors. i know a lot by the screen names but can't remember the team names for most and i damn sure wouldn't know ya by face-lol..

still a great time & great food all around. congrats to all who made it to the jack,those that made it through the weekend,& those that were win,place,or show.:thumb:

Dr_KY
10-23-2011, 06:10 AM
I hear there was some English guy in the judging tent?? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

smknwhlswife
10-23-2011, 10:27 PM
JD- it was great meeting you and your wife. Wish we had more time to talk to you. Maybe when we come back to the NW next year. :-D

CaptTable
10-24-2011, 05:47 AM
JD, sorry Kathy & I couldn't make it back by, but the grandson was up visiting and he got ready to go home about that time. We will keep in touch.

Philip

CBQ
10-24-2011, 08:04 AM
JD, was great to meet you at the Jack.

Jorge
10-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Same here Philip...tell Kathy she out-did herself on the goodie box...I am munching on some of the herbed oyster crackers as I type...they're awesome! :thumb: Stop by tomorrow after 2pm and we'll feed ya some bbq...:-P

Good to meet you as well! Just be grateful that you didn't see me OUT of my street clothes!

Muzzlebrake
10-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Good to here everyone getting home safe and sound.

It was fun to see some Brethren I hadnt seen in a long time and good to meet others.

I had an early flight Sunday morning and was horizontal on the couch by kickoff. As Andy said the flight home on cloud 9 was much better than coach on the way down!