PDA

View Full Version : Precooking Brisket.... whats best?

Dex
09-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I have an event coming up where brisket will be vended. I plan to precook. What do you guys find works best? Smoke, then freeze whole? Smoke, slice then freeze? How do you do it?

And on the same note, while vending, do you cut as you need it, or slice the entire brisket and hold in a pan?

Kenny Rogers
09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Whenever cooking meat, always cut what you're going to serve when you serve. So if you're going to freeze it, smoke it, and freeze it whole, vacuum pack it, if you have the ability.
If you MUST cut it for packaging, cut it in as large portions as you can manage, and don't forget to throw some "heaven juice" in with it. (the drippings)

Dex
09-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Once thawed, wrap the already cooked brisket in foill and toss in oven or back on the smoker?

Could I freeze the brisket in the foil if its only going to be frozen for a week or two?

Kenny Rogers
09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Foil and stick it in the oven, heat to 200-210, unless using the smoker is more convenient. There would be no real benefit to smoking it any longer.

I would worry about the foil, and not getting an airtight seal. The refrigeration/freezing process by nature REMOVES moisture. This is a bad thing obviously.

Bbq Bubba
09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Smoke and finish in a foil pan. freeze and reserve all juices. Re heat on smoker COVERED then slice and hold in pans. If business is slow, slice as needed.

Dex
09-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Smoke and finish in a foil pan. freeze and reserve all juices. Re heat on smoker COVERED then slice and hold in pans. If business is slow, slice as needed.

Sorry but I want to make sure I'm on the same page. Smoke and finish in a foil pain... so you say smoke it while sitting in a foil pan?

Bbq Bubba
09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Sorry but I want to make sure I'm on the same page. Smoke and finish in a foil pain... so you say smoke it while sitting in a foil pan?

Instead of wrapping in foil i use foil pans. Holds ALL the juices and i have something to reheat in. :thumb:

Sledneck
09-08-2011, 12:28 PM
After I Foodsaver and freeze it I just drop the bag in a big ole pot of boiling water

Bbq Bubba
09-09-2011, 06:56 AM
After I Foodsaver and freeze it I just drop the bag in a big ole pot of boiling water

I think he meant reheating, not cooking. :twisted:

jbrink01
09-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Cook until 98% done in my FEC500. Slice into pans with a touch of sauce and some beef broth. Reheat covered in the FEC at 275.