PDA

View Full Version : What is (are) your favorite BBQ/Smokehouse(s)

gambler
09-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Just thought I'd start a thread about "Your favorite bbq restaurants" I'd like to hear where you guys go pay to eat someone else's bbq. And maybe discover a few new places in the process. Here are three of my favorites.

In the Los Angeles area, there are two big name smokehouses/grills.

Lucille's Smoke house
http://lucillesbbq.com/

Roadhouse Grill
http://www.originalroadhousegrill.com/default.asp

And in Pasadena there is a small hole in the wall, but somewhat popular smokehouse called:

Robin's Wood Fired BBQ and Grill
http://www.robinsbbq.com/

posey's_pork_pit
09-04-2011, 03:57 PM
My Georgia Brethren I'm sure will agree that you can't throw a rock without hitting a BBQ joint but there is only one place I go to, Fresh Air Barbecue in Jackson, GA. If y'all are ever heading down I-75 South on your way to Florida, it is well worth the detour ~ 1164 Highway 42 South.

http://www.freshairbarbecue.com/images/Jackson-exterior.jpg

tamadrummer
09-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Jimbo's in Tampa and sonny's. I know many hate sonny's but we love them

petie
09-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Old Hickory in Owensboro,KY. Best mutton on the planet everything else they serve is hard to beat also. Moonlight BBQ for the burgoo.

If it didn't matter it wouldn't matter!!!

thenicksfam
09-04-2011, 05:04 PM
My back yard! Nothing in Vegas has been good yet that I've tried.

Mister Bob
09-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Two of my favorites are Dinosaur BBQ (the original in Syracuse, NY) and KC's Rib Shack in Manchester, NH

btcg
09-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Burger King near my house has the best ribs. I think they must boil em.

jbrink01
09-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Pappy's in St. Louis!!

Gore
09-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Currently, I'm really enjoying "The Original Q-Shack" on University in Durham NC. It's solid Texas-style Q, not the best I've had, but solid. Most importantly, Wednesday's is Bluegrass night with free music from 6:30-8:30.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/IMG_7033.jpg

Bigmista
09-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Wow. He's in he L.A. area and I get no love? And he lists Lucille's?

*sigh*

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
09-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Jimbo's in Tampa and sonny's. I know many hate sonny's but we love them

I agree with you. I've eaten at both many times.

1MoreFord
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Locally, it's the Whole Hog Cafe.
http://www.wholehogcafe.com/home.htm

I also like, in no particular order, Smitty's and Kreuz's in Lockhart, City Market in Luling, Central BBQ in Memphis, and Craig's BBQ in DeVall's Bluff, Ark.

gambler
09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Wow. He's in he L.A. area and I get no love? And he lists Lucille's?

*sigh*

Sorry, I meant no disrespect. I have eaten your delicious tri-tip at the Atwater Farmer's Market and I loved it. I've been meaning to get back down there (but much earlier to avoid the crowds at your station) to try out some of your other dishes. The time I went, I got there later in the day and you were wiped out of everything but tri-tip.

BTW, you're the reason I got into bbq'ing and smoking. I was inspired by your article in the L.A. Times a while back.

And even though Lucille's is a bit commercial, I do love their food. Have you ever eaten at Robin's Wood Fired BBQ in Pasadena?

minijosh
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Eat At Joe's BBQ in Wickiup Arizona. It's been the best smoked food I've ever eaten.

gambler
09-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Eat At Joe's BBQ in Wickiup Arizona. It's been the best smoked food I've ever eaten.

Next time I'm in Arizona, I'll have to look that place up!

Bigmista
09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Sorry, I meant no disrespect. I have eaten your delicious tri-tip at the Atwater Farmer's Market and I loved it. I've been meaning to get back down there (but much earlier to avoid the crowds at your station) to try out some of your other dishes. The time I went, I got there later in the day and you were wiped out of everything but tri-tip.

BTW, you're the reason I got into bbq'ing and smoking. I was inspired by your article in the L.A. Times a while back.

And even though Lucille's is a bit commercial, I do love their food. Have you ever eaten at Robin's Wood Fired BBQ in Pasadena?7

Never been to Robin's. I guess I should go before I pass judgement. Only BBQ I like in L.A. (besides my own) is Bludso's (http://www.bludsosbbqandcatering.com/) in Compton and Smoke City Market (http://www.smokecitymarket.com/) in Sherman Oaks.

goro25
09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I go here about once/week.

http://www.calhounstexasbarbeque.com/8401.html

bbq.tom
09-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Since I've been keeping track (last 15 years or so) I've eaten at, rated, and reviewed 377 Q-joints for my book "A 'Q' Review". 322 of them have been in North Carolina, one outside the USA, and the remaining 54 sporadically around the country.

Here are my favorites:
Overall - "OinkAdoodleMoo Smoky BBQ" in Kettering, Ohio
Best Pork - "Big Racks BBQ & Sports Grill" in Grapevine, Texas
Best Brisket - "Hoggy's" in Dublin, Ohio
Best Pork Ribs - "Calhoun's" in Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Best Beef Ribs - "Phil's BBQ" in San Diego, California
Best Barbecued Chicken - "Memphis Championship Barbecue" in Las Vegas
Best "Eastern NC Style" Q - "Skipper's Forsyth's Bar-B-Q" in Henderson, North Carolina
Best "Western NC Style" (Lexington style) Q - "Fat Cat's Pork-N-Beans BBQ" in High Point, North Carolina
Best "South Carolina Q" (mustard sauce) - "Maurice's Bar-B-Que" in Santee, Sourth Carolina
Best "National" chain - "Dickey's Barbecue Pit" - edged out "Famous Dave's Legendary Pit Bar-B-Que"

Just my opinion! :-D

Sledneck
09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Here in lawnguyland ny my favorites are

Swingbellys long beach ny
Smokin ALS bay shore ny & massapequa ny
The recently opened rub in east meadow

Everything else sucks real bad

deguerre
09-08-2011, 01:34 PM
To be honest, I've only eaten BBQ out about two times in the last three years, and I live in Memphis. I just prefer my own now.

jmill88
09-09-2011, 05:27 PM
PM BBQ in Chesterfield Missouri is one of my new favorites. Pappy's has to be #1 though.

Gore
09-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I just want to pass on a big public thanks to bbq.tom for educating me about North Carolina BBQ. I was completely foreign to it about a year ago and since then have been to at least a dozen places he's recommended (including "Skipper's Forsyth's Bar-B-Q" in Henderson). For the most part, his comments on BBQ have been right on and I hope his book gets published or made available some time soon. It is a VERY valuable resource! I've had a few people ask me, "How did you find this place?" and showed them my NC BBQ Bible. I must confess that I am extremely sensitive to "sour" (ketchup can even make me cough), so NC BBQ is not my favorite style, but I can certainly appreciate good Q of any kind, and he's led me to some gems.

bbq.tom
09-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Well, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I most humbly appreciate your words of flattitude! I've slowed down considerably on trying Q-joints around North Carolina since I've been judging almost every weekend. There are still about 100 Q-joints left in NC for me to visit before I publish my book. I'd hate to leave out places that deserve to be included in the book! I think that by looking at my "Best" list (above) you can see that I'm definitely NOT saying that North Carolina has the best barbecue anywhere, but it is where I live and what I've taken on to write about.

Thanks again!

Chenernator
09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
My back yard! Nothing in Vegas has been good yet that I've tried.

I'm with you there. I've tried Buzz, Memphis Championship, Harry O's, TC's Rib Crib, The Red Apple, Longhorn, and Buckingham's. Buzz is probably the best, but I've about given up trying places.

Interesting. Just noticed it this last time through Wickiup, and was wondering if it was any good.

Vegas Brethren - we should have a throwdown or at least a meeting of the minds. PM me if you're interested.

bbq.tom
09-19-2011, 01:16 PM
I almost forgot - for steak - (other than my own backyard) - I think the best is:

The Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC. They have the most tender filet that I've ever had - and the flavor is dadgum good too!!!
Shula's in Philadelphia is pretty good, as is the Texas Land and Cattle Company in San Antonio (on the Riverwalk). And Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa is wonderful as well. I'm hoping to try "Delmonico's" in Las Vegas in a couple weeks - one of Emeril's restaurants.

Bpig
09-20-2011, 08:55 PM
My favorite is Craig's in DeValls Bluff AR.

caseydog
09-20-2011, 09:43 PM
I am a big fan of the original Cooper's BBQ in Llano, Texas. I love several Texas Hill Country BBQ joints, but Cooper's is my favorite. I love the meats, especially the brisket, but the atmosphere takes it over the top. There is something about eating good BBQ at a long table full of people you have never met, some of them bikers and some of them CPAs, that just feels right.

Eating good food in a room full of people you might otherwise not want to be around, if you didn't know any better, just proves to me that we are not all that different. Everyone loves good food.

CD

captndan
09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Starlight Inn in Ayden NC and Kings in Goldsboro NC Moores in New Bern aint bad either.

pat
09-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Oklahoma Joe's in Olathe, KS. Brisket sandwich with a side of fries is all I'm sayin

gtr
09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Since I've been keeping track (last 15 years or so) I've eaten at, rated, and reviewed 377 Q-joints for my book "A 'Q' Review". 322 of them have been in North Carolina, one outside the USA, and the remaining 54 sporadically around the country.

Here are my favorites:
Overall - "OinkAdoodleMoo Smoky BBQ" in Kettering, Ohio
Best Pork - "Big Racks BBQ & Sports Grill" in Grapevine, Texas
Best Brisket - "Hoggy's" in Dublin, Ohio
Best Pork Ribs - "Calhoun's" in Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Best Beef Ribs - "Phil's BBQ" in San Diego, California
Best Barbecued Chicken - "Memphis Championship Barbecue" in Las Vegas
Best "Eastern NC Style" Q - "Skipper's Forsyth's Bar-B-Q" in Henderson, North Carolina
Best "Western NC Style" (Lexington style) Q - "Fat Cat's Pork-N-Beans BBQ" in High Point, North Carolina
Best "South Carolina Q" (mustard sauce) - "Maurice's Bar-B-Que" in Santee, Sourth Carolina
Best "National" chain - "Dickey's Barbecue Pit" - edged out "Famous Dave's Legendary Pit Bar-B-Que"

Just my opinion! :-D

How long ago did you eat at Calhoun's? Just curious - I used to work at the one on the river in Knoxville in 89-90. I read a year or so ago that the quality has slipped there, but haven't been myself in a while so I can't speak to that. That's where I first saw smoking meat up close. They had a huge smoker of some sort and I spent a fair amount of time hiding behind it stuffing my face with whatever came off the racks.

WineMaster
09-29-2011, 12:07 PM

Joe was Brethren for a long time. Been a while.

bbq.tom
09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
How long ago did you eat at Calhoun's?

I was last there in October of last year. I definitely like the one in Gatlinburg better than the one in Pigeon Forge! The last trip was a bit disappointing as it wasn't quite as good as previous trips (service and overall quality), but the ribs are still mighty good anyway!!!

gtr
09-29-2011, 03:07 PM
I need to get back and see how it is there. The one on the river by Neyland Stadium is where I was first figured I wanted to try bbq'ing. There were only a couple locations then & I guess it's kind of predictable that quality would decline as they expanded. I remember loving the food though.

I ate at a place called "Pup's Pit" in Knoxville on Northshore Drive - got the pulled pork sammich. It came already sauced, which I wasn't excited about, but after I ate it I realized it was a pretty damn good sammich & I'd definitely go back. I think the guy there puts the pork back in the smoker after pulling it 'cause the smoke was way down in there - too much so for my dad, but I liked it. :hungry:

O-Town
09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Not much to speak of here 'cept maybe my backyard. But when I am back home its Clearview BBQ on River Rd. Columbus Ga.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/clearview-barbecue-columbus

bustem55
10-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I happened by a place called Smiley's off of Interstate 81 in Raphine Va. Pretty surprising grub for a fuel stop. I was very impressed.:thumb:

twinsfan
10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Big fan of Sallys Mesquite BBQ in Sedona, Arizona.

bander7003
10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Mine is Oklahoma Joes in KC. When I'm in KC, I go to Arthur Bryants (only the original on Brooklyn) for the experience, but I go to Oklahoma Joes for the Q. The brisket sandwich is great and I love the beans. Jack Stack is a distant third place (but still quality Q).

QN
11-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Greenbrier Restaurant; folks around here call it Old Greenbrier. http://www.oldgreenbrier.com/ really good hushpuppies and catfish also. Their chicken is true BBQ/slow smoked chicken. Pulled pork is served with no sauce; three kinds are on the table if you want/need sauce. The smokers are under the shed/roof you see behind the building to the right of the photo.
http://www.oldgreenbrier.com/greenbrierimages/outside.jpg

grillsforpassion
11-04-2011, 02:47 PM
The Smoked Short Rib at Smokin' with Chris in Southington CT is one of my favorites. I want to do a tour of Southern BBQ next spring.

MrSmoker
11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Texas BBQ House, Phoenix