PDA

View Full Version : Hello from KC

dwwright
04-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi all,
Just joined the site the other night when I picked up my new Bandera. I finished bolting it together and went looking for information about it. There wasn't much other than the assembly instructions in the box. I saw several postings about using a charcoal basket and found some pics of one. Before I even fired it up I bent up some expanded metal, tacked it together, and had one ready for it's first seasoning. Worked real well, kept an even 220 for over 6 hours. I broke it in yesterday with some ribs and a pork loin. All my wifes complaining about it just melted away when she took her first bight of those ribs.

I usually do a couple of competitions a year with a team called the Smokin Jokers. We'll be out at Lenexa, but don't know how many others we'll get around to this year. Anyway, this site has some great info on it.

Thanks,

Darren

Bill-Chicago
04-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks Darren, and welcome to the site.

Please, keep posting!!

chad
04-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood.

The_Kapn
04-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Darren,
Welcome aboard the Que Express here :lol:
Too many tidbits in your great post to catch them all, but...

I arrived here the same way--have never looked back nor regretted it-(well not too often, anyway) :lol:

Sounds like you got the basics well under control on the Dera! Great!
"Dera-specific" knowledge plus a good Que background is a killer combo!

You did elevate the firegrate--right?
All my wifes complaining about it just melted away when she took her first bight of those ribs.
That is what it is all about!
I usually do a couple of competitions a year with a team called the Smokin Jokers. We'll be out at Lenexa, but don't know how many others we'll get around to this year.
Our Competetion Section is just for guys like you (and me). Everything from the folks who wish to compete, all the way through long time established champions like DRBBQ and Jim Minion show up there. Tell us about the team and Lenexa(?) and we will root you on and share in the "Thrill of Victory.....etc".

Pour a cold one and kick back for a wild ride here!

TIM

kcquer
04-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Welcome Brother D, good to have another Brother in the area. I'm from south of the City, If ya have any questions don't hesitate to ask!!

BrooklynQ
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Welcome!

icemn62
04-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Welcome, and enjoy being a part of the show. Post Post post

Arlin_MacRae
04-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Hey brother-welcome aboard!

Bigmista
04-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Welcome Darren! You've stumbled on a graet family pull up a chair and grab an adult beverage!

Enjoy!

dwwright
04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome all. The Q fever has been building for a while and this makes me glad I jumped back in head first.

Tim, I haven't raised the firegrate, but plan to. The basket was built from all expanded metal, so I wasn't sure I needed to. However when I emptied the ashpan tonight I realized it was pretty much piled up under the basket with no room to breath. I've got to pickup a new bottle of gas for the mig this week. I'll tack something up before the next smoke. Also need to add two more partitions to my charcoal basket. Planning to space them about an inch from the other two. The coals were hot enough that the heat was igniting the charcoal on the other side. By the first half hour half the basket was glowing.

Darren

Bigdog
04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Welcome Darren. Are you from the Kansas or Missouri side of KC?

The_Kapn
04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome all. The Q fever has been building for a while and this makes me glad I jumped back in head first.

Tim, I haven't raised the firegrate, but plan to. The basket was built from all expanded metal, so I wasn't sure I needed to. However when I emptied the ashpan tonight I realized it was pretty much piled up under the basket with no room to breath. I've got to pickup a new bottle of gas for the mig this week. I'll tack something up before the next smoke. Also need to add two more partitions to my charcoal basket. Planning to space them about an inch from the other two. The coals were hot enough that the heat was igniting the charcoal on the other side. By the first half hour half the basket was glowing.

Darren
Darren,
Raising the firegrate makes all the difference in the world.
Fire needs air--simple :lol:

I do not know how your basket is built, but the 2 or 3 or 4 sections do need to be seperated by a good 1" or more airspace. If not, it will all light off, defeating the whole purpose :twisted:

There are some new designs out there--I am testing one this week (I hope).
Gonna be interesting!

For now, just tack weld and see what develops before you Mig it in final :oops:

Welcome--Welcome--Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

parrothead
04-26-2005, 02:09 AM
Welcome!

Neil
04-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Welcome aboard Darren. Enjoy what you learn and share what you know. When is the Great Lenexa event. My best friend lives just around the corner from the park where the event is held and has been trying to get me to come down for it but scheduling has been a problem.

Trout_man22
04-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Welcome

jt
04-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Welcome, Darren.

spicewine
04-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Always room for another MOFO

Welcome Brother

Bellybro
04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah another MOFO!

Welcome to the family!

Solidkick
04-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Yeah another MOFO!

Welcome to the family!

That's right!!

Welcome my new brother..........

frognot
04-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Welcome aboard! The MOFO (Missouri Folks) chapter keeps getting bigger.

dwwright
04-26-2005, 10:48 PM

Darren
Darren,
Raising the firegrate makes all the difference in the world.
Fire needs air--simple :lol:

I do not know how your basket is built, but the 2 or 3 or 4 sections do need to be seperated by a good 1" or more airspace. If not, it will all light off, defeating the whole purpose :twisted:

There are some new designs out there--I am testing one this week (I hope).
Gonna be interesting!

For now, just tack weld and see what develops before you Mig it in final :oops:

Welcome--Welcome--Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Hopefully I can get by Linweld tomorrow night an exchange my bottle. The basket held up pretty well for it's first stoking, I pulled it out and brought it up to the garage for inspection. So should I expect the powder-coat to peal? Most of the threads and such refer to paint, but mine is powder coated. Just wondering. So far the top of the fire box has gotten a different shade from the heat, but no bubbling or pealing. Just wondering if a inner shield mod would help keep the finish or if I should just accept the fact that it will peal :?

p.s. A pick of the basket is attached...I hope...

Darren

dwwright
04-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Welcome Darren. Are you from the Kansas or Missouri side of KC?

Born in raised in KS, now live in a the state of Missouri (Missery? :lol: Just kidding... )

The_Kapn
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Hopefully I can get by Linweld tomorrow night an exchange my bottle. The basket held up pretty well for it's first stoking, I pulled it out and brought it up to the garage for inspection. So should I expect the powder-coat to peal? Most of the threads and such refer to paint, but mine is powder coated. Just wondering. So far the top of the fire box has gotten a different shade from the heat, but no bubbling or pealing. Just wondering if a inner shield mod would help keep the finish or if I should just accept the fact that it will peal

Darren
Darren,
At first look--here is what I see.
Spice and BigAl make these baskets, so they will correct as needed.

The Dera or BKSD only need a "reasonable" amount of fuel to hold temps--not a full basket burning away.
Your basket is gonna allow a "whole bunch of charcoal" to light off at the same time since the sections are not really divided thermally.
Wish I had a good sample pic to illustrate.
Most of the baskets allow 1/3 or so to burn, slow the burn down as it moves to the second 1/3, then again as it moves to the final 1/3.
The dividers need to separate the fuel thermally and keep it from igniting too soon.

Don't know about the powdercoat--this is a "high heat" firebox and powdercoat is probably gonna go away--do not dismay--it is a firebox :lol:

If you are talking about the paint on the firebox--as the Bandera 101 Document says--"get over it" :lol: Box is too hot to hold paint. Keep it oiled so it does not rust too bad. Paint it yearly if it bugs ya :lol:

Note to self--Time to paint the StudeDera firebox! She needs a trip to the beauty parlor :lol:

More qualified will chime in--I am sure.

Great start though!
Excellent workmanship on the prototype!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

dwwright
04-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Hopefully I can get by Linweld tomorrow night an exchange my bottle. The basket held up pretty well for it's first stoking, I pulled it out and brought it up to the garage for inspection. So should I expect the powder-coat to peal? Most of the threads and such refer to paint, but mine is powder coated. Just wondering. So far the top of the fire box has gotten a different shade from the heat, but no bubbling or pealing. Just wondering if a inner shield mod would help keep the finish or if I should just accept the fact that it will peal

Darren
Darren,
At first look--here is what I see.
Spice and BigAl make these baskets, so they will correct as needed.

The Dera or BKSD only need a "reasonable" amount of fuel to hold temps--not a full basket burning away.
Your basket is gonna allow a "whole bunch of charcoal" to light off at the same time since the sections are not really divided thermally.
Wish I had a good sample pic to illustrate.
Most of the baskets allow 1/3 or so to burn, slow the burn down as it moves to the second 1/3, then again as it moves to the final 1/3.
The dividers need to separate the fuel thermally and keep it from igniting too soon.

Don't know about the powdercoat--this is a "high heat" firebox and powdercoat is probably gonna go away--do not dismay--it is a firebox :lol:

If you are talking about the paint on the firebox--as the Bandera 101 Document says--"get over it" :lol: Box is too hot to hold paint. Keep it oiled so it does not rust too bad. Paint it yearly if it bugs ya :lol:

Note to self--Time to paint the StudeDera firebox! She needs a trip to the beauty parlor :lol:

More qualified will chime in--I am sure.

Great start though!
Excellent workmanship on the prototype!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Tim, Thanks for the feedback. Didn't figure the powder coat would hold since that stuff melts around a few hundred degrees anyway. How well does the smoker box hold heat on a cold or rainy day? It was pretty windy Sunday when I had it fired up, and it didn't seem to bother the temp too much. Just curious...

Darren

Solidkick
04-27-2005, 06:46 PM
How well does the smoker box hold heat on a cold or rainy day?

Wind is what will kill your cook worse than anything.......2 3'X6' pieces of plywood henged together will help make a decent wind block. An old blanket will help insulate, cut a knotch out to go over the stack, don't let it get close to the firebox. See my avitar as to how to handle the rain......... :mrgreen:

Ron_L
04-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Welcom, Darren! As you've already seen, there is a wealth of information locked in the collective mind of the borg... errr... brethren...

Enjoy and learn!

Bigdog
04-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Welcom, Darren! As you've already seen, there is a wealth of information locked in the collective mind of the borg... errr... brethren...

Enjoy and learn!

Resistance to good Q is futile. :wink: