PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Norwalk, Conn BBQ and Oyster Fest

Zombie Barbecue
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
We'll be there (SmokerHead). Kind of stinks they just cancelled clam chowder contest, but we're doing chili as well. Should be a good one, and long one.

Meat@Slim's
09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Slin's is im!

boogiesnap
09-01-2011, 03:21 PM
IN!

how'd you hear about chowder? i just talked to one of the guys last night.

unfortunately, my connecticut ass has no power at home...no meats purchased, no sauces made, etc. etc., gggrrrrrrr.

HMMM, canceled on the website, i see now. that's too bad. i'm from boston and make a mean chowda.

goodsmokebbq
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Good smoke is in!

JimmyDAL
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
The Perfect Butt is in!

trohrs123
09-01-2011, 05:52 PM
TNT is in

Smokeadelic
09-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Smokeadelic is in!

norwalkbbq
09-02-2011, 05:03 AM
We'll be there (SmokerHead). Kind of stinks they just cancelled clam chowder contest, but we're doing chili as well. Should be a good one, and long one.

Sorry Guys only Five Teams out of Fifty That's why!:confused:

Need 50% participation to make it work ..Peoples Choice are one of are fundraisers we had a sponsor ( Bloom Brothers)That would have give us the clams, However just five teams.... in my opinion Terrible support..:shock:
Chowder was fun .

John Vuoso
Exchange Club Norwalk

wickedbbq'r
09-02-2011, 06:45 AM
JC's is in!

wickedbbq'r
09-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Sorry Guys only Five Teams out of Fifty That's why!:confused:

Need 50% participation to make it work ..Peoples Choice are one of are fundraisers we had a sponsor ( Bloom Brothers)That would have give us the clams, However just five teams.... in my opinion Terrible support..:shock:
Chowder was fun .

John Vuoso
Exchange Club Norwalk

As one of the five, I am disappointed as well. But, it was going to be difficult to pull off seeing it was on fri. I think chowder would have done a lot better if it was on Sat. Most of us work on fri. and would have a tough time getting there, set up, and do chowder. On Sat. it would be something to do for teams not doing nebs or hog and/or something to do after nebs and until awards at 8:00pm. Just my .02 cents. Looking foward to the contests and the chili. See you there!

Zombie Barbecue
09-02-2011, 08:05 AM
As one of the five, I am disappointed as well. But, it was going to be difficult to pull off seeing it was on fri. I think chowder would have done a lot better if it was on Sat. Most of us work on fri. and would have a tough time getting there, set up, and do chowder. On Sat. it would be something to do for teams not doing nebs or hog and/or something to do after nebs and until awards at 8:00pm. Just my .02 cents. Looking foward to the contests and the chili. See you there!

Agreed. but maybe slamming down about 50 oysters and drinking copious amounts of "random beverage" will help us get through. The chili will be fun. Wondering how the judging will be for bbq up there(sauce contest?). We've really only been competing PA and south, rarely venturing more north. either way, can't wait for this one.

Diva
09-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Exactly what I had communicated to my teammate. We would have been ALL over it on Saturday, but, Friday is tough to pull off.

norwalkbbq
09-02-2011, 09:43 AM

Tell you what get twenty-five teams to participate and we will do it Saturday night 5:30ish 6:00 how's that ! ball is on your side of the court ! :becky::becky:

John Vuoso
Exchange Club of Norwalk

Diva
09-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Team Agave is in for Saturday Chowder. Lemme know if it's a GO!

trohrs123
09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
TNT is in for chowder Fri or Saturday!!

boogiesnap
09-02-2011, 09:53 AM
in for saturday chowder.

wickedbbq'r
09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Tell you what get twenty-five teams to participate and we will do it Saturday night 5:30ish 6:00 how's that ! ball is on your side of the court ! :becky::becky:

John Vuoso
Exchange Club of Norwalk

I'm not sure how many of the teams are going to read this post, but we are in for Sat. chowder. Ball is now back in your court!:boxing:

norwalkbbq
09-03-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm not sure how many of the teams are going to read this post, but we are in for Sat. chowder. Ball is now back in your court!:boxing:

Will send an email blast to all teams.. will advise of results:thumb:

John Vuoso
Exchange Club of Norwalk

bmanMA
09-03-2011, 06:26 AM
hey john, it's early and your font is killing me!

norwalkbbq
09-03-2011, 08:11 AM
hey john, it's early and your font is killing me!

Sorry:icon_blush:

wickedbbq'r
09-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Will send an email blast to all teams.. will advise of results:thumb:

John Vuoso
Exchange Club of Norwalk

Nice! I hope it works to help the charity.:-D

bmanMA
09-03-2011, 11:09 AM
We are in! Bill, how much clam are we getting? And in what form?

Zombie Barbecue
09-04-2011, 04:43 PM
So when will we know if Chowder is happening or not? Also, I know its not calling for rain now but if those 2 trop storms keep heading up we may get wet!

bmanMA
09-04-2011, 05:26 PM
well, he said Monday he will tally the entries. I figure with the clams being donated you cant go wrong. And if it sucks, oh well, pick the clams out and scarf!

Zombie Barbecue
09-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Hope chili is still happening. just got my supplies. Also, you can win $200 for having the most decorated area. The theme is Patriotism, so we ordered 2 women from craigslist who are hooked on crack to sing the national anthem in american flag bikini's all day while holding sparklers. They said they'd do it for 2 bigmac value meals. What's more American than that? :thumb:

boogiesnap
09-06-2011, 08:25 AM
well, he said Monday he will tally the entries. I figure with the clams being donated you cant go wrong. And if it sucks, oh well, pick the clams out and scarf!

just heard from john. he said the cutoff would be wednesday. that might be cutting it a bit close for me personally to gather needed ingredients.

but we'll see.

CBQ
09-06-2011, 01:11 PM
John,

Last year we did all the people's choice contests, and for every single one we had to throw out or give away almost all of it. We made 800 wings last year and distributed about 200 before people ran out of tickets. Same thing with the chowder and chili.

I would like to help support the charities, but it was such a huge waste of effort, money, and food my teammates said "no way" to this year. That is why you got 5 teams.

Two suggestions for next year:

1 - Why not have a pulled pork people's choice on Sunday? The teams are making that anyway, we only turn 10% of it in, so lots to give away.

2 - Change the format. Teams don't like people's choice because it's not double blind judging, it's a volume contest when there are enough tickets (Troy, NY) and the proximity of the team to the ticket selling area influences the winners when there are not (Norwalk last year).

Saratoga, NY and Eliot, ME had centralized pulled pork contests this year. Everyone turns in the same amount for judging, it gets distributed in small sample cups with no team names, and members of the public try 6 samples and grade them. It's easier for the teams, the public likes it, and you still make money for your charity. Something to think about. (Another option is a KCBS style judging event, but charge members of the public to sit in the tent. One contest did that this year...I don't remember offhand which one.)

I think you will get better participation with a format change. Do a centralized pulled pork contest next year and we will do the people's choice again.

Lakeside Smoker
09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Why not have a pulled pork people's choice on Sunday? The teams are making that anyway, we only turn 10% of it in, so lots to give away.

Yep. At 1:36 I would give all my food away. Pork, ribs, chicken and brisket.

Meat@Slim's
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Yep. At 1:36 I would give all my food away. Pork, ribs, chicken and brisket.

Great idea! Slim's is in for the pulled pork people's choice at 1:36!

boogiesnap
09-06-2011, 04:14 PM
guess what i'm using for chili PC. :becky:

JimmyDAL
09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Mike, I'm gonna be @ Lakeside smokers tent to get my samples at 1:36

norwalkbbq
09-06-2011, 06:48 PM

You would too !!!

John Vuoso

CarolinaQue
09-06-2011, 06:54 PM

I'll be there with ya!!!

CBQ
09-07-2011, 03:44 AM
Have to snap them up before Mike wins another GC and makes his leftovers a really high demand item. :becky:

bbqdavarrow
09-07-2011, 06:23 AM
John,

Last year we did all the people's choice contests, and for every single one we had to throw out or give away almost all of it. We made 800 wings last year and distributed about 200 before people ran out of tickets. Same thing with the chowder and chili.

I would like to help support the charities, but it was such a huge waste of effort, money, and food my teammates said "no way" to this year. That is why you got 5 teams.

Two suggestions for next year:

1 - Why not have a pulled pork people's choice on Sunday? The teams are making that anyway, we only turn 10% of it in, so lots to give away.

2 - Change the format. Teams don't like people's choice because it's not double blind judging, it's a volume contest when there are enough tickets (Troy, NY) and the proximity of the team to the ticket selling area influences the winners when there are not (Norwalk last year).

Saratoga, NY and Eliot, ME had centralized pulled pork contests this year. Everyone turns in the same amount for judging, it gets distributed in small sample cups with no team names, and members of the public try 6 samples and grade them. It's easier for the teams, the public likes it, and you still make money for your charity. Something to think about. (Another option is a KCBS style judging event, but charge members of the public to sit in the tent. One contest did that this year...I don't remember offhand which one.)

I think you will get better participation with a format change. Do a centralized pulled pork contest next year and we will do the people's choice again.

Great Ideas! My wife also said if they don't change the People's Choice that she had no interest in participating! I emailed them over the winter with ideas on how to improve the contest and come to find out the only thing that they came up with was "A better flow of the crowd":confused:

Zombie Barbecue
09-07-2011, 11:40 AM
I agree completely with whats said above. Except, you can definitely pull off a chowder or chili comp as long as its a combination of peoples tickets and also a true judging. You need people to properly judge this stuff in combination with the public. but if its just tickets and that is dependent on where you are located, than what's the point?

Ive already spent cash on supplies on chili (thank god not for chowder). Hopefully chili doesnt cancel. if it does, looks like theres gonna be chili at the breakfast.

norwalkbbq
09-07-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree completely with whats said above. Except, you can definitely pull off a chowder or chili comp as long as its a combination of peoples tickets and also a true judging. You need people to properly judge this stuff in combination with the public. but if its just tickets and that is dependent on where you are located, than what's the point?

Ive already spent cash on supplies on chili (thank god not for chowder). Hopefully chili doesnt cancel. if it does, looks like theres gonna be chili at the breakfast.

Yes, officially chowder is cancelled ....Due to lack of participation.....

John Vuoso
Norwalk BAR B Q Pit

Sledneck
09-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes, officially chowder is cancelled ....Due to lack of participation.....

John Vuoso
Norwalk BAR B Q Pit

thank you for that very loud and colorful message

norwalkbbq
09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
thank you for that very loud and colorful message

Your Welcome:becky:

jv

bmanMA
09-07-2011, 10:33 PM
gah. please take the input for next year.

JimmyDAL
09-08-2011, 05:12 AM
What's the plan for getting around on the field? With all of the rain it is going to be impossible.

boogiesnap
09-08-2011, 07:59 AM
whose the beer vendor?

Warthog
09-08-2011, 08:08 AM
What's the plan for getting around on the field? With all of the rain it is going to be impossible.
Feet:heh:

Sledneck
09-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Listen to your mother and put those damn galoshes on :becky:

bmanMA
09-08-2011, 09:38 AM
oh snap, it's been called off! because of rain! RAIN!!?!?!?

Warthog
09-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Event CANCELED, 5 inches of water on the field.