PDA

View Full Version : Spicewine's TEAM Q heads for Warsaw

spicewine
04-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Headed for Warsaw this weekend to start the competition season for us.
We'll see how this goes trying to Q without drinking beer. I guess I will just have to put in some extra effort. Fatties are bought, ABT cooker loaded , Sauce made, rubs ready, smoker washed and waxed-----Lock and load---here we go!!!

BrooklynQ
04-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Go kick some ass!

MrSmoker
04-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Good Luck Jay give it your best shot and have fun.

scottm4300
04-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Poland? Or Indiana??

Chick'n Pig BBQ
04-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Good luck Jay!! No beer??

jt
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Go get 'em, Spice! Truman Lake is a cool place.

The_Kapn
04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Good luck guys.
Who's on the team?
If they give a "Prettiest Kooker" award--you are a shoe-in :lol:

Take pics.

TIM

icemn62
04-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Good luck, don't forget the pics.

Bigmista
04-25-2005, 02:03 PM
kick ass. take pics.

chad
04-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Have a good weekend! :D

spicewine
04-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Who's on the team?

Jay Curry-----Chicken

Steve Curry---Ribs

John Friedrich---Pork Butt

Brian Johnson---Brisket

dxesmkr
04-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Good Luck!!

Willy T.
www.willytsbbq.com

Solidkick
04-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Jay's going to a cookoff...........that means it will rain this weekend...........
pack your rubbers and go get 'em boys!!

Best of luck!!

The_Kapn
04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Who's on the team?

Jay Curry-----Chicken
Steve Curry---Ribs
John Friedrich---Pork Butt
Brian Johnson---Brisket
Ah Yes--seperate specialites :D
I have heard of some ot the SuperStar teams doing that.

Unfortunatly, Southern Brethren is so small--we gotta share the total process and the blame :roll:

Y'all do great and we will know who gets the "Atta-Boys" when it is all over :wink:

Put some teams "on the trailer" for all of us.

TIM

smokincracker
04-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Good luck Brothers.
Jay I will look forward to some pics

BBQchef33
04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Good luck Spice.. Show'em how its done!!!

slat
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Good luck guys. Show'em what you can do.

spicewine
04-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Ah Yes--seperate specialites
I have heard of some ot the SuperStar teams doing that

We rotate every year so that each team mate has the experience of cooking in each category. Once everyone has been through the rotation, we put each team mate on the item that they scored highest on. If for some reason one or more of the team can't make a competition, the other team mates can fill in with no problem.

spicewine
04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Jay's going to a cookoff...........that means it will rain this weekend...........

You know as well as I do that rain works to my advantage. Spicewine Smokers love crappy weather. As a matter of fact, they thrive on it. Throw in a 40 mile an hour wind and God is on your side. By the way God's on Brisket next year look out Kick!!

Bellybro
04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
You know as well as I do that rain works to my advantage. Spicewine Smokers love crappy weather. As a matter of fact, they thrive on it. Throw in a 40 mile an hour wind and God is on your side. By the way God's on Brisket next year look out Kick!!

Amen to that brother!!!!

I'll have to see what is happening this weekend. Maybe I will come and be your surrogate beer drinker??? :lol:

Solidkick
04-26-2005, 11:41 AM
By the way God's on Brisket next year look out Kick!!

Bring it on Brother....I like competition..........

I'll have to see what is happening this weekend. Maybe I will come and be your surrogate beer drinker???

You best be dialing my number if you do..........

spicewine
04-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Bring it on Brother....I like competition..........

Fiesty little Farker-aren't you!!!!

Scrappy-Doo Mod.

brucesieg
04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
good luck, kick ass

Neil
04-27-2005, 03:33 AM
Good luck and have a blast.

spicewine
04-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Win or lose, it's all about getting out and haveing a good time with your Buds and making some savory Q. I will take pix.

Kick and Belly Bro---If you visit I will throw on a couple-o-extra fatties.

Spice

dapittboss
04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Good luck, sound like a great time!!

Solidkick
04-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Got a report from Spicewine (Jay) from Warsaw.........I hope I wrote the placings down correctly........

9th in chicken
12th in ribs
4th in pork butt
3rd in brisket

Tied for 5th overall, but was awarded 6th place on tiebreaker.
A very very nice showing, my friend! Jay said he had company from the Kansas City area.......sorry we missed them.....BellyBro and I decided to visit one about 20 miles from home instead of making the long drive, especially with my plans to cook late today.
I'm sure all had a just as good a time without us.....Jay is a great host!!

Again, Congrats brother!! I'll help you with posting the pics to an album.......Phil....can you hook us up on that?? Thanks!

spicewine
04-30-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm back!! Small contest ( about 25 teams) Friday weather was crappy, Saturday was beautiful. Met alot of real nice folks and even got a couple of them wanting to join the bretheren web site. Banner got to my office after I had already left town, but my Brother was able to bring it down with him. The banner is really nice (pix will be posted soon) Met a team who had a Margerita (sp) machine made out of an Igloo cooler and a 3/4 horsepower garbage disposal. It worked great. I was very disapointed with my chicken :cry: wasn't my best effort but took 9th place. We finished in the top 5 and were just happy to be there. KCQuer came to visit today and we spent the afternoon together munching on Ribs and shooting the sh*t. Phil and Kick---Thanks for the calls and words of encouragement. It was very difficult for me to go to contest and not be able to drink and party along with everyone else but I felt good and rested this morning. I have lost 14 pounds and the Dr. says that I won't need to be on medication or insulin if I keep doing what I'm doing. She even said that I could drink a beer or two every now and then but I'm waiting untill I lose some more weight . Maybe by the 4th of July. Any way their were two judges who were complete A** Holes. Even the KCBS reps tried to tell them that they were scoreing too low, but they wouldn't back down. The Reps told me that these were some of the lowest scores that they have ever seen. Oh well---we had a great time and hope to see some of the rest of you at a contest sometime.

Spice

dxesmkr
04-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Congrats on such a good finish!!!!!!!! Three outta four catergories in the top ten.Awesome!!!!! 8)

Willy T.

The_Kapn
04-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Impressive results!

Great Job!

TIM

Bigmista
04-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Way to go Jay! Awesome showing!!!

Jeff_in_KC
04-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey Jay... great contest! But it wasn't Scott there today... it was me! LOL!

Anyway, I just want to say thanks again and say how much fun I had visiting and sampling some of your team's work Thank Steve again for keeping a cold MGD in my hand most of the afternoon! :D Hopefully I'll get to come visit during another contest!

Solidkick
04-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Hey Jay... great contest! But it wasn't Scott there today... it was me! LOL!

He told me it was you there today on the phone........prolly just tired and made an honest mistake.....you know all us Brethen look alike......... :mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
05-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Yeah, havin' two guys with "KC" in their names that live only a few miles apart could be confusing to anyone who put in a long weekend live Team Q did this weekend... and with no beer for Jay to boot! That's probably it... no beer is starting to take it's toll! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
05-01-2005, 12:32 AM
I also wanted to say that I learned quite a bit today. I had never been to a Q contest where I got to see the work firsthand and I have to say it was impressive. For a guy like myself who loves perfection and having to have things turn out just right, maybe competition Q is for me! LOL! I mean these guys were concerned with the angle the brisket slices were laid on the lettuce bed, sauce on the lettuce leaf and stems in the parsley! That's my kinda gig! Very cool, gentlemen! I was definitely impressed.

spicewine
05-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Sorry Jeff--BRAIN FART MOD.--And your right, I haven't had a clear head since I stopped drinking beer. I would really like to see you compete!! You are welcome in our camp any time. Did I mention we needed a Pit Bitch? :lol: Just wait untill the Boone County Fair---I will have beer in hand and will be at 100%.

jminion
05-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Spice
A guy that builds pits and can cook too, goes out and proves it! Congrats!

BBQchef33
05-01-2005, 12:35 PM
[quote="spicewine"]You are welcome in our camp any time. Did I mention we needed a Pit Bitch? :lol: quote]

Jay.. sorry.. but Spicewine Cookers dont need a pitbitch. Think ya may need to find him another job. How about "meatbitch". :twisted:

icemn62
05-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Congrats on the nice work

slat
05-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Congrats Spice. Not a bad showing.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
05-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Great Job Jay and congrats.

[quote="spicewine"]The Reps told me that these were some of the lowest scores that they have ever seen

A few weeks ago I went to sugar creek to be a certified kcbs Judge. Bunny Tuttle was the rep that taught us. She told us that the rules had changed on scoring and that we were to start at 6 and judge up or down from there. The old way was to start at 9 and score down. She also said that there would now be lower scores because of the lower starting point. She said that kcbs had come to the conclusion that there were too many 8s and 9s . This might be some of the reason for the lower scores.

Just a thought!!
Skip

Jeff_in_KC
05-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Sorry Jeff--BRAIN FART MOD.--And your right, I haven't had a clear head since I stopped drinking beer. I would really like to see you compete!! You are welcome in our camp any time. Did I mention we needed a Pit Bitch? :lol: Just wait untill the Boone County Fair---I will have beer in hand and will be at 100%.

LOL! It's amazing how much we depend on beer! As for your "pitbitch" suggestion, I think it was pretty much summed up when it was said Spicewine pits don't need a pitbitch! That was one of the most impressive farkin' pits I've EVER seen! I only wish I could have seen the smokin glowin skull! LOL! Don't know what the rules allow but any time I'm able to visit a contest, count me in for assisting in whatever way I can. I just appreciate your hospitality yesterday and the chance to watch and learn. Next time, I'll try to bring along a slab on my ribs for you to sample and give me some feedback. Or maybe not... didn't I see on one of those contest BBQ shows that no cooked meat is allowed to be brought into the cooking areas? Maybe I'm dreaming that...

BellyBrotherII
05-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Awsome Turn out Spice. Congrats. I am Glad the Brothers pulled it togeather. Next time on the chicken, no problem.

spicewine
05-02-2005, 07:51 AM
that the rules had changed on scoring and that we were to start at 6 and judge up or down from there. The old way was to start at 9 and score down.

No Skip, you don't understand. When I say LOW scores I mean they were really LOW on every ones samples sent to that table. This really hurts the overall score and may put you out of the Grand Champ spot. The KCBS Reps knew this and tried to interveen but to no avail. Not making excuses but thats what you get when you inlist amature judges.

As for Pitbitch---There are plenty of cleaning duties in the pit area--Dishes, cleaning tables handing out beers ect. ---But I guess that would be beer bitch.

Bringing cooked ribs to the pit area from the outside would disqualify us. Please bring them and we will show you which team to take them to and knock them out of the competition.

Trojan Rib Mod.

Trout_man22
05-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Bringing cooked ribs to the pit area from the outside would disqualify us. Please bring them and we will show you which team to take them to and knock them out of the competition.

Trojan Rib Mod.

Now that's funny

Congrats to you and your team.

jt
05-02-2005, 08:35 AM
How about "meatbitch". :twisted:
Isn't that the same as 'prisonbitch'? :shock: :twisted:

jt
05-02-2005, 08:36 AM
9th in chicken
12th in ribs
4th in pork butt
3rd in brisket
Maybe you didn't like the chicken entry but this is a good showing. Congrats, Jay!

Neil
05-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Congratulations Jay.

frognot
05-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Ditto on the congrats.

Will also volunteer my services as beerbitch or food taster. :lol:

Bigdog
05-02-2005, 09:00 AM
that the rules had changed on scoring and that we were to start at 6 and judge up or down from there. The old way was to start at 9 and score down.

No Skip, you don't understand. When I say LOW scores I mean they were really LOW on every ones samples sent to that table. This really hurts the overall score and may put you out of the Grand Champ spot. The KCBS Reps knew this and tried to interveen but to no avail. Not making excuses but thats what you get when you inlist amature judges.

Do I need to get on my throw out the extreme scores soapbox again?

Bellybro
05-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Jay,

Awesome brother! You've made us proud!
Where to next???
Went over to Fulton this Saturday with Kick and pestered the Muddy River Boys, and Jamie and Norton. Always a good time with a beer and the smoke. Don't worry I drank one for you!

spicewine
05-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Pix are posted in photo section---More to come

Jeff_in_KC
05-02-2005, 11:06 PM
What I was amazed about was the 12th place on the ribs. I had sample or two of the ribs Jay and the boys turned in and if there were 11 ribs better than those, I'll eat a hunk of hickory! Obviously amateur judges!