PDA

View Full Version : AR Potato Entry

SmokeMeTender
08-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know if the potato entry has to be potato salad? I know Reser's Foods is sponsoring the potato category. Can not find the specific written answer and confusing answers from AR. Thx

matthew burt
08-26-2011, 03:28 PM
I called and the most specific answer I got was they have broadened there views on it some! Whatever that means, I asked if sweet potatoes were too broad and got "I can't answer for Reesers! So if you get more out of her please let me know.

Bentley
08-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Below is what our team was told...

"Melissa Pate" MelissaP@americanroyal.com

The entry does not have to be a potato salad. Reserís told us that the definition of potato salad is broad and could mean a variety of things, though they are encouraging contestants to be creative.

I hope this answers your questions.

Good luck with your entry!

Melissa Pate
BBQ Event Coordinator
American Royal Association

Alexa RnQ
08-26-2011, 07:49 PM
"Melissa Pate" MelissaP@americanroyal.com

The entry does not have to be a potato salad. Reserís told us that the definition of potato salad is broad and could mean a variety of things, though they are encouraging contestants to be creative.

I hope this answers your questions.

Good luck with your entry!

Melissa Pate
BBQ Event Coordinator
American Royal Association

We have today's winner in the Definite Maybe sweepstakes!!!

Bunny
08-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Rich and I repped the Dillon CO contest and they had a Reser's Potato Salad contest and I made sure we got the rules so there would be no confusion. Here's what I got from Reser's aka MMA.

Teams can win up to $700 for each contest. Registration will take place at each event.
Teams must:
1. Complete registration form provided at the cook's meeting at each event.
2. Complete Recipe Entry form provided at the cook's meeting at each event
3. Submit their most creative potato salad recipe!

Rules are:
Garnish is open but must be presented in a 9 x 9 styrofoam container and the lid must close.
All potatoes are allowed (including sweet potatoes)
It will be judged on appearance, taste and creativity
Does NOT need to be made on site.
Recipes must be submitted when registering.

Hope this helps!
Bunny

Bentley
08-29-2011, 06:20 PM
I screwed the pooch on the entry for the potato side dish, did not realize when you sign up, you either sign up for everything you wanna cook or you dont get in, no add ons like ice or power...live and learn...So the ambiguity will not effect us this year.

SmokeMeTender
08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
I have requested an update from the American Royal - let's see if I get the same response as above.

Bunny
08-31-2011, 09:03 PM
KCBS also has these rules

mobow
09-01-2011, 09:20 AM
I think it is a good thing that they are leavin it pretty open or ambiguous. There is only so much you can do if you think in terms of traditional potatoe salad. Get your thinking outside of the box. My bet is the winning entry will have ingrediants that you never think of for potatoes salad like a potatoe, pasta, shrimp, sauseage who knows what else combo. keih

Smokin' Bad Habit
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
i spoke to the royal the other day, i was in the same boat... i forgot to sign up for the other side dishes, as long as you call them with your credit card prior to the 9th of september you can still get in on the side dishes!

Frankbbq
09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
The 7% meat comes into play. Twice cooked with seafood is common. Great sweet potato pie, etc.

mobow
09-01-2011, 09:01 PM
The 7% meat comes into play. Twice cooked with seafood is common. Great sweet potato pie, etc.
I've seen the 7% meat limit for baked beans but where did you see the 7% restriction for potao salad.? keith

Bunny
09-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I've seen the 7% meat limit for baked beans but where did you see the 7% restriction for potao salad.? keith

You don't. When I talked to Reser's they said be creative. They weren't too concerned about anything. Maybe I should call them again.:shock: